• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Personally what I would like is a new multiplayer Wario Ware because the boards always seem to me the most boring and unnecessary part. It is like queuing at the amusement park, the important thing is the mini games.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Almost like the game isnt actually "lacking" in content, no matter how much people complain about no DLC.
But it is?

however it's the only game out on the Switch so we have no choice but to buy the 'lacking' version if we want it...

I love the game myself - play with my kids - but yeah it's seriously lacking in content

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
The maps are easily the most egregious thing about this game.

I mean, look at this shit:

Super-Mario-Party_Review_5.jpg
The maps are pretty good in team up mode. Basically the only mode I play.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
not really the best unfortunately.
Waiting for some DLCs.

can we have a Wii Party remaster please?It was soo good !

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
People like to talk about all the switch titles moving impressive amounts of SW but this is right up there with the best of them. It has easily cracked 10 million and doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon. That's with a title that had sort of mixed reactions. If they nail the next one it's on a trajectory to join their bigger franchises.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was my first Mario Party, and I was very disappointed in it, which is sad considering I love both boardgames and mini-games.

The boardgame portion was really terrible. I know it's aimed at a younger kids, but even so, there's so much more they could do than a simple roll and move. You could still put meaningful decision making in boardgames and keep it accessible (i.e. carcassonne, ticket to ride, pandemic, etc.).

Some of the mini games were ok, but others were awful (i.e. the one where you have to pet the worm thingy).

If this is considered one of the better entries, I don't get the appeal of this series at all.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
This was my first Mario Party, and I was very disappointed in it, which is sad considering I love both boardgames and mini-games.

The boardgame portion was really terrible. I know it's aimed at a younger kids, but even so, there's so much more they could do than a simple roll and move. You could still put meaningful decision making in boardgames and keep it accessible (i.e. carcassonne, ticket to ride, pandemic, etc.).

Some of the mini games were ok, but others were awful (i.e. the one where you have to pet the worm thingy).

If this is considered one of the better entries, I don't get the appeal of this series at all.
The strategy is much more pronounced in the N64 and Gamecube entries. Where the boards have more impactful events you can get, (like the infamous Chance Time) and have items that's more varied. (starting with the second or third game onward) This was the appeal of the series; having actual strategy while keeping luck so the game can still be unpredictable.

It's not the best one by a long shot, but a big step up from 9 and 10 where the games favor more luck based elements like how a dice roll can affect yourself and your friends because of how the games work.

Personally speaking, you should try out 3, 6 or 7 if you can. It's the best one in my opinion. Though if you still don't like those then maybe this series isn't for you.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe they should launch a base game priced at 39,90$ with 5-6 boards and annual dlcs priced at 19,90$ with 2 extra boards per year.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even close to being the best Mario Party game. Some of the rules make for ridiculously uneven games.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Almost like the game isnt actually "lacking" in content, no matter how much people complain about no DLC.

Oh come on, of course it's lacking content, and I have a more favorable opinion of the game than some others here. I have no idea how good sales is supposed to preclude that from being the case.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
What content is missing in comparison to other Mario Party games other than fewer boards? I doubt the huge majority of casual players care about there being 4 or 6 boards. And especially in regards to board size - it's "objectively less" but I think most people see it more as "just different".

The mini-games are very fun, the pacing of one game is fast, the presentation is good and from what I've seen it has a nice amount of side-content/activities outside of the main mode. That's why I think it is selling well.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Boards are a lot smaller.
Big rollers can fly around the map and buy multiple stars in one roll.
Less chances to steal stars on the board. Stars are ridiculously cheap in this game. Not a big deal if you can't win minivans because stars are cheap.
Characters have unfair roll dice advantages and can use them throughout the game.

Games seems more tailored to co-op teams mode imo.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This is one Nintendo franchise where annualized installments would be great -- something new to play with family and friends each holiday. But with legs like that...
But they were for years, during the N64 and Gamecube days. Honestly, I would prefer one great Mario Party title every now and then, as much as I love some of the classic ones. Super Mario Party has been out for awhile, so I hope we get a grand sequel/return to form Mario Party that's amazing this year. Super Mario Party was close, but the maps were lackluster, small, not enough of them, coin economy wasn't great, etc.

I hope one day we get a Mario Party that's like 2 or 3, but it seems like Nintendo is getting closer to that with each new Mario Party release.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 selling lower than 3 million or even 2 million for 3 is criminal

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
man with that many sales I don't get why they aren't cranking out DLC packs with additional maps and modes?

May 25, 2019
London
Drives me nuts that you need to use joycons to play this and that there is no online play for the main mode. It would be one of my most played games if both of those things were changed.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Make better/larger boards ala Mario Party 1 and 2 and the game would be close to perfect. Also, don't put minigames you've already played in the rotation until you've played everything else. Can't believe they haven't fixed that.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
As a reference:

Mario Party DS: 9.31
Mario Party 8: 8.85
Mario Party 9: 3.11
Mario Party: 2.7
Mario Party: Island Tour: 2.68
Mario Party 2: 2.48
Mario Party 4: 2.46
Mario Party 10: 2.19
Mario Party 5: 2.17
Mario Party 7: 2.08
Mario Party 3: 1.91
Mario Party 6: 1.63
Mario Party Advance: <1
Mario Party: Star Rush: <1
Mario Party The Top 100: <1

The gap is impressive. It's either tame success or huge hit.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It had issues but was definitely a return to form for a franchise that sorely needed one, so I'm not surprised that it did well. That said, Mario Party would do Smash numbers if they'd finally add competent online play.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
N64, in 2000:
chilly-waters.jpg

Nintendo Switch, in 2018:
SMP_Kamek%2527s_Tower.png

Sorry, not giving the pass just because the car is gone.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

It's considered better than 9 and 10 because no one liked those. The first 8 are all better, especially 3 and 6 and 7. Those had way more strategy and elements involved.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
N64, in 2000:
chilly-waters.jpg

Nintendo Switch, in 2018:
SMP_Kamek%2527s_Tower.png

Sorry, not giving the pass just because the car is gone.

The meat of the game are the competitive mini-games, not the "hey nice to see you here, see you in 10 minutes" boards, imo.

I don't play Mario Party anymore, but even back then the 1-2 minutes mini games were much better than the dice-rolling.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Party 2 is peak Mario Party for me. The maps are all great and don't rely on RNG to move around the board. I like the items from 3, boards from 2, and the minigames from 1-3 are all ace.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The meat of the game are the competitive mini-games, not the "hey nice to see you here, see you in 10 minutes" boards, imo.

I don't play Mario Party anymore, but even back then the 1-2 minutes mini games were better than the dice-rolling.
Yea....not even close. The minigames are part of the tension from the boards themselve. The minigames out of context are just whatever. I mean maybe in the new games with no depth at all. Go play mario party 3 and come back to me. Go watch the runawayguys playthroughs and see all the crazieness on the boards themselves.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
Sales of MP 1-7 are obviously lower because it was basically a new Mario Party released every year on the N64 and GameCube. MP 8 got really bad reviews, but sold a lot because it was the only one on Wii for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
I really do wonder how games are approved for extra content or not, because this game seems like it should've been a shoe in and I don't know what else the devs are working on

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they could've just released Mario Party 10 DX, and it'd have been a lot better than SMP. Maybe even include a mode where you don't play in a cart, just to please fans. It would've looked like the worst outcome to a MP on Switch, but... here we are.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Switch is a monster. I don't understand people that are ready for Nintendo to make a new console. This thing feels like blesses every Nintendo franchise it touches. I wouldn't move on from this thing for quiiiiiite some time.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Yea....not even close. The minigames are part of the tension from the boards themselve. The minigames out of context are just whatever. I mean maybe in the new games with no depth at all. Go play mario party 3 and come back to me. Go watch the runawayguys playthroughs and see all the crazieness on the boards themselves.

I do have to give you that the idea of the car (was that the Wii U one?) was beyond terrible.
I prefer the games to the boards, but making everybody move in unison was ill-conceived.

If they think each player rolling a dice is a problem, either eliminate it or find a better solution for movement (plenty of new board games do that in the form of number of actions).

Making it "faster" only was a tragedy.
BTW, I'm also trying to say is that I don't think this new board is ideal, but I also don't think return to MP2 is the solution too.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao idk anyone still playing this game. Not much reason to with only four small boards. I can't believe we still didn't get any content upgrades holy shit

just because it sells good doesn't mean it is good

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

you've got to be someone who doesn't own the game and is talking out their ass. the game def has a lack of content - even compared to previous titles - and that is actually an objective fact...