• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
That is correct. It's based on controller order
Thank you for answering. This is baffling and heart-breaking. I hope this becomes more widely known, I did a lot of digging without seeing anything but a comment on Reddit.

I guess it's not a popular opinion but that's completely unacceptable to me and I don't understand why fully functioning characters would be locked behind controller order in a 2019 Mario game (or literally any game).

I know I'll pick it up some day to experience all of the awesome Mario levels that people make, but I'm actually pretty upset with all the perfect scores this game is getting. It leads me to believe that Nintendo won't learn a lot from removing so many awesome features from the first game.

This was the final straw for me. I wanted nothing more than to surprise my girlfriend with a copy of this game over the weekend (she is so excited to play as Toadette) but I'm out.

Thank you for being so honest and detailed in your review Andre. You guys are quality and I look forward to every upload and podcast. Keep it up.

whaaat noooooo that's such a step down from NSMBUDX of all things
(Thanks so much!)
(Sketch)

Thank you for helping me out. I appreciate you.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for answering. This is baffling and heart-breaking. I hope this becomes more widely known, I did a lot of digging without seeing anything but a comment on Reddit.

I guess it's not a popular opinion but that's completely unacceptable to me and I don't understand why fully functioning characters would be locked behind controller order in a 2019 Mario game (or literally any game).

I know I'll pick it up some day to experience all of the awesome Mario levels that people make, but I'm actually pretty upset with all the perfect scores this game is getting. It leads me to believe that Nintendo won't learn a lot from removing so many awesome features from the first game.

This was the final straw for me. I wanted nothing more than to surprise my girlfriend with a copy of this game over the weekend (she is so excited to play as Toadette) but I'm out.

Thank you for being so honest and detailed in your review Andre. You guys are quality and I look forward to every upload and podcast. Keep it up.
Can't u just... make sure your controller is set up to get the character you want?

I get it's more cumbersome but this does not seem like the end of the world or something that can't be gotten around with a bit of effort...

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a funny game for reviews since those who've been following the game closely already know basically all there is to know about the game. Normally when I'm excited for a game I'm interested in reading at least one or two reviews, but that's not the case here -- I know I'm getting the game and I know what's in the game.

I'm surprised that some are so invested in the reviews for this particular game. And that's coming from someone to whom this will surely be the GOTG.

yep, this is probably the most review-proof game ever released.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to wait until I get my tax-time sugar hit to pick this up unfortunately, although on the upside there will be plenty of courses to play by then!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Think I'm gonna wait and see how this game ends up with updates before I pick it up. I agree, so many stripped down features and mind boggling omissions. I'm sure it's a great game still, but with Steam summer sale going on, there are other games that are more worth it now, all things considered.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Think I'm gonna wait and see how this game ends up with updates before I pick it up. I agree, so many stripped down features and mind boggling omissions. I'm sure it's a great game still, but with Steam summer sale going on, there are other games that are more worth it now, all things considered.
Yeah exactly.

There's no shortage of good games coming out -tons on the Switch alone. Mario Maker was pretty close to the top of my list but I realize I'm more niche in that most people aren't getting it to play local multi. I'm not optimistic that they'll fix it but if they do it's an easy buy for me. Even if they bring back SMB1 costumes, it would make a huge difference.

Even if they don't bring back my favorite feature or fix the issues with local or online multiplayer, I'll still grab it on sale or used later on. It's still player created Mario levels at it's core.

What's Toadette's controller number lol

I only want to play as her.

She's new to Mario, she's just getting into gaming and was excited when Nintendo revealed Toadette as a playable character.

I don't think it's unreasonable that she would be disappointed to learn that the character is locked behind the third player. It's a pretty baffling decision.

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
hey thanks, and thank you for bringing it back into my attention. I don't think that yours is an unpopular opinion. I've been a huge fan of Toad since I was a kid, and I was hoping to play with one of my sisters as Toad and Toadette, since that was our thing in Mario Kart when we were kids.

I'm thinking that this is the sort of thing that Nintendo will eventually patch, for whatever that's worth. The first SMM was pretty good about updating based on player demands

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In theory, there's just one more sleep between me and SMM2.

I hope Virtua Racing goes up early to make those final hours bearable.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how you'd go about this. Hooking up four sets of controllers (assuming you have them), then desyncing the ones you don't want?
Ah I'm dumb. I forgot that if each character is assigned a player number, then you'll need four players to play as the one assigned to P4. I was just assuming a constant state of having 4 players instead of thinking of 3 or 2

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Ah I'm dumb. I forgot that if each character is assigned a player number, then you'll need four players to play as the one assigned to P4. I was just assuming a constant state of having 4 players instead of thinking of 3 or 2
Ah okay lol. At the very least I'm relieved I didn't miss something.

god it's such a bummer.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Characters based on controller order is dumb. I actually think they will patch this though.

I'm rather w/e about this sorta stuff but no denying it's dumb.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Can't u just... make sure your controller is set up to get the character you want?

I get it's more cumbersome but this does not seem like the end of the world or something that can't be gotten around with a bit of effort...

Unless you have four controllers and let the unused characters die, I don't see how you could do that.

Edit: Never mind, addressed above. Disregard.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Raises a good question on how the future will be for levels which don't get played.

I wonder if there are points of comparison for this. I imagine the data for levels is more than, for example, the data for a character in a MMO? Or the rate that levels will be uploaded is far higher than creating a character and playing a MMO?

I mean, server storage is limited right? I can understand why they would delete these levels, as long as the kid is able to re-upload them to share with friends and stuff...

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
There's a misterious space next to the 3d world one. Maybe DLC?
We can not rule out the possibilty of adding a sixth game style via DLC, true. But the "mysterious" space is not really an indication of that happening.
The space is there because of the old four game styles aboth. How else could they have build the UI? Putting Super Mario 3D World in the center wouldn't look clean. And even the plural form in "extra game styles" was never a good indication either.

Again, not saying there will never be another game style. Just saying people read way too much into those "clues".

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. I've never really been that interested in Mario Maker, but reading this thread really makes me want to jump into this game, even if it's just to play other people's content. I just imagine that it's really difficult to find levels that aren't A) rubbish, B) gimmicky or C) really fucking difficult.

Yes.

Can people not just look this up using Google or something? Swear someone asks this once every page.

I don't want to generalise, but I think there's a possibility that some of the people asking this may already know the answer, and just want to stir up the usual "Nintendo's online service sucks I'm not paying for this rubbish" moaning posts.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. I've never really been that interested in Mario Maker, but reading this thread really makes me want to jump into this game, even if it's just to play other people's content. I just imagine that it's really difficult to find levels that aren't A) rubbish, B) gimmicky or C) really fucking difficult.
It's true that the random selection modes will get you mostly trash. For decent quality levels you just need to follow the stuff posted here or in other online communities.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It's really not. Here are 3 easy steps.
  1. Follow the thread here and the Mario Maker subreddit
  2. If you come across a well made level follow the user
  3. Use the in game search features, they are pretty good
It's not that hard. You're not going to get level after level of Nintendo quality shit though, its just not feasible.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's true that the random selection modes will get you mostly trash. For decent quality levels you just need to follow the stuff posted here or in other online communities.
I wasn't around during Mario Maker 1 and yeah, finding good levels in-game was awful. Will definitely be using the ot to find good levels

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Will this game be available digitally on the 27th at 10 PM PST? Cant wait to play it.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. Here are 3 easy steps.
  1. Follow the thread here and the Mario Maker subreddit
  2. If you come across a well made level follow the user
  3. Use the in game search features, they are pretty good
It's not that hard. You're not going to get level after level of Nintendo quality shit though, its just not feasible.

This post comes across as slightly too aggressive considering the subject matter, but it's good advice all the same!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to generalise, but I think there's a possibility that some of the people asking this may already know the answer, and just want to stir up the usual "Nintendo's online service sucks I'm not paying for this rubbish" moaning posts.

You can filter your search by difficulty and level type (you can filter out auto-levels and puzzle levels for instance). There's also a negative rating system so that'll help weed out the troll levels hopefully.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot I preordered the game a long time ago lol

Gotta return this. Perfer digital for these type of games.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This post comes across as slightly too aggressive considering the subject matter, but it's good advice all the same!

Just trying to set realistic standards. It's not hard to find lots of good content. But even among all the great levels people make if the expectation is to play infinite Nintendo quality levels, you're likely going to be disappointed. If you can see the appeal of user made levels doing random crazy stuff that is also not pristine in polish, you'll find lots of stuff.

For example, I make largely traditional levels. I'm pretty slow at making but to do one single level may take me anywhere from 6-16 hours to make. And even then those levels are not anywhere near Nintendo quality. They are solid but that's about it. You'll play some true genius levels though that really blow your mind. That is the stuff that makes the game unreal imo.

Check out some of these levels

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GameComplain!!! lmao
funny-gif-dog-smile-grin.gif