• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That design was a whole lot more Metroid than I expected. What a delight. However, either I'm too dumb or it's too hard cuz I was stuck after getting the fire flower.

In the subworld there's a spiky helmet you can get using the fire flower, it's below the first area, you shoot at bombs behind the green bumper to blow up the block preventing you from getting it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Taking an original level and modifying slightly and adding a few additional twists. That is exactly what you'll find when you try my first upload. I have other more original works I've created in SMM1 that I'm recreating in SMM2, but for now...

1-1 Redux - Night Time Stroll
ID: KFM-P9Y-MHG

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I really don't like how you have to actively pimp your courses to get people to play them. Feels like they would get zero plays if you just uploaded them and left it at that. The old game didn't work like that...teething problems maybe? Seems a bit unfair.

I also don't like the fact you have to restart the game to get your new notifications. I mean come on ffs. What year is this?

Edit: I'll go through some of the courses here tomorrow evening to help some people get out of the zero plays hole.
That's odd, I definitely get notifications as I'm playing. Not mid-level, which would be annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished story mode today. I didn't expect there to be such great variety in levels for this game. I had more fun on these levels than I did with NSMBU. Great story mode. Unfortunately I didn't have enough coins to get all of the decorations and I think it's time to move on to endless and other player made levels

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In the subworld there's a spiky helmet you can get using the fire flower, it's below the first area, you shoot at bombs behind the green bumper to blow up the block preventing you from getting it.
Aha. Gonna give it another go then. Very clever design. I was a lot more limited in scope on my attempt at this sort of design.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's odd, I definitely get notifications as I'm playing. Not mid-level, which would be annoying.

I do get them...but there seems to be a delay. Put it this way, if I shut the game down and restart it, I tend to get a helluva lot of stuff happening in the 20 seconds it takes to do that.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Aha. Gonna give it another go then. Very clever design. I was a lot more limited in scope on my attempt at this sort of design.

One pro tip is that every time you get a new powerup, the main world has a spot you can use it to "checkpoint" your powerup progress, so even if you die you can pick right back up if you recycle the checkpoints after blowing up a block.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
After 8 hours of making, 3 hours of playtesting, and some large amount of time protoyping the stage on the Wii U, I finally completed my first 100% original Super Mario Maker 2 Story Level!

I call it... The Yoshis: A Tale Of Alliances!

The Code: 7VX-HDR-2TG

So to go into more detail than the in-game description: The story here is that Bowser has been on the run, but a local Yoshi couple that live in the mountains found his last hideout, so its up to them and you to defeat Bowser once and for all. As you can probably guess... things happen!

This level has more bite to it than my other two story levels, but I made sure that it was possible to complete without using the run button, and that most things needed to beat the level are tutorialized earlier. The exception is the "true ending" (there are two endings). The true ending, while you can probably guess how to do it near when you get the worse ending, does at least require you to use run. Unlike the Lakitu, theres actually a bit of challenge in getting this! But not too much.

I want to thank people on the Nintendo Era and Smogon discords (Poochy Parker in particular for Nintendo ERA, who I think is The Poochy Kid ?) and Hulavuta from Smogon for pushing me to make this level less bland. I also want to thank my Brother for playtesting this level, it seems like its first iteration was probably more difficult than it should have been!

Phew, I think I'm gonna take a break from story levels for now (or at least until I get another good idea). I think I'll focus on more mechnically based levels now!

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do you beat
Yellow Toad's Stone-carrying level
?

I'm completely stumped here, lol.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Like others have said, even with the lag the co-op and competitive versus multiplayer is so fun.

The best is timing a jump to land on someone else's head to get a boost jump while they fall to their doom. I just picture them raging and laugh so hard.

Now Nintendo needs to add voice chat and inviting friends for this.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ever come across a mechanic you find super crazy mid level but know if you use it it will spike the difficulty way too high? I'm having that right now. :(

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Created a challenging but fair level with some light environmental storytelling and a boss battle.

Would love to hear what somebody thinks!

Who Took Over the Fish Factory?
9WL-DWH-SHF

I promise there's only a tiny amount of swimming despite the name :p

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So I just made my first level since... Super Mario Maker 3DS, I think. The Wii U is somewhere in the attic, so I couldn't wait until SMM2 came out. My first attempt after all these years is 'Buzzsaw Galaxy'. It took me a couple of tries to finish it and be able to upload it, but I don't think it's that hard honestly. I'm currently reviewing the game, so it would be great if you guys could leave some of those feedback images so I can use a screenshot of the information screen of this course for my review. Thanks in advance!

MX4-QHV-2TG

PvDKSxS.jpg

Proto

Jan 19, 2018
Created a challenging but fair level with some light environmental storytelling and a boss battle.

Would love to hear what somebody thinks!

Who Took Over the Fish Factory?
9WL-DWH-SHF

I promise there's only a tiny amount of swimming despite the name :p

Love the theme! Good stuff. Tough but I really liked it

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey thread, I posted my first level here yesterday to a very nice reception, and today I made a second:

Mario's Ski Vacation
5RR-9N7-7TF

It's way longer and more ambitious than my first level, with secrets and three big coins to find, if you don't want to blast through.
I really had a lot of fun with this one and was happy to pop your course cherry lol. The beginning felt like a ski lift and at no point did it feel unfair, yet was still challenging. Bravo my friend. Looking forward to to whatever you put out next.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm sure it's been tried before, but I have a glass maze concept that I want to expand on. If anyone wants to give the first one a shot, the level is K1R-XGR-MHG.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Taking an original level and modifying slightly and adding a few additional twists. That is exactly what you'll find when you try my first upload. I have other more original works I've created in SMM1 that I'm recreating in SMM2, but for now...

1-1 Redux - Night Time Stroll
ID: KFM-P9Y-MHG
Pulled me into a false sense of security with 1-1, but the second half was a lot of fun with some good platforming and enemy placement. Good job!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm doing it, I'm making the Turbo Tunnel from Battletoads.

I think I found a creative way to simulate it, using Cat Mario and the fence semisolids. That way you can move up and down on the fence to dodge the incoming obstacles, while the level autoscrolls.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if it's actually impossible to make a vertical level that locks the camera within walls like you can do with horizontal levels?

The only way I've been able to make the camera not move horizontally on a vertical space has been by building close to one of the edges of the space and only using about half the screen for platforming, but that obviously isn't ideal. I'd like to use almost a full screen width worth of space for platforming, but I haven't been able to make it work without camera movement.

EDIT: Never mind. Just had to build the wall all the way to ceiling. lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if it's actually impossible to make a vertical level that locks the camera within walls like you can do with horizontal levels?

The only way I've been able to make the camera not move horizontally on a vertical space has been by building close to one of the edges of the space and only using about half the screen for platforming, but that obviously isn't ideal. I'd like to use almost a full screen width worth of space for platforming, but I haven't been able to make it work without camera movement.

??

I just built ground tiles from the bottom to the very top on both sides of the screen. Locked it for me.

waddles

Nov 13, 2017
Spent all day making this level, still getting used to the tools but I'm loving it. Trying to get better at designing levels, would love some feedback! FWT-DWB-9SG

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished a level I'm pretty happy with! Infiltrate Monty Mole Mine.

D-Wd6cAVUAANgZ4.jpg:large

It's a themed level, and I had a ton of fun making it. Hopefully someone enjoys it :)

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Wait hold on, theres a level in the story mode where you save a purple toad. Is that possible to make as a level or is it just a weird coop example?

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Jump Up Superstar!
17B-0KK-VQF

Autoscrolling level focusing on trampolines. My second code so far so any feedback is appreciated!