• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Really impressed with my wee pre-order bonuses from game here in the UK. Normally I'd just get new releases on Amazon but pleasantly surprised this time. Any other retailers doing cool stuff like this. For reference it's the stylus, a pencil and a massive pad of paper to plan your levels before you create them.

9AgI5nHh.jpg

Nothing cool like that in NA. I would have gone physical if there was something like that as a pre-order bonus.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to try out my 1st level. It's short and sweet, with a light theme! My in game name is Buletbil10.

GGJ-HY3-QWG

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Really enjoying the game. Story Mode is great and spent 3 hours this morning building my first level. It's here if anyone wants to try it out...

Super Mario Arcade!- Course ID: XMF-0NC-NFF It's pretty tough though, so good luck! :)

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Good. Well placed checkpoint, since I hadn't encountered disappearing blocks before to know how they work, haha.
Thank you! Haha figuring out where to put power ups and the checkpoint was some of the most rewarding part of making the level. I kept replaying it and trying to figure out where my friend or another player might have trouble, and where I could put a checkpoint so they wouldn't feel too frustrated and leave the level.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Really enjoying the game. Story Mode is great and spent 3 hours this morning building my first level. It's here if anyone wants to try it out...

Super Mario Arcade!- Course ID: XMF-0NC-NFF It's pretty tough though, so good luck! :)

It is tough! It's really well designed, I'm going to keep trying until I beat it!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The newest Nintendo Power podcast includes the IDs for the Invitational levels:

Round I: Invitational 2019 - 641-9CJ-J9G
Round II: Invitational 2019 - 8CJ-376-MXF
Finals I: Invitational 2019 - 22R-N5T-YCG
Finals II: Invitational 2019 - 2GW-H75-44G
Finals III: Invitational 2019 - N1J-HKT-DLF
Finals IV: Invitational 2019 - DM7-K5X-1MG
Oh snap, thank you for these! Been looking forward to them since E3.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I won't be able to play people's levels here until the weekend. Ironically, the reason I am able to afford all these games in the first place is the same reason I can't enjoy them as much or for as long as I wish I could

that's right I'm talking about work

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Not really, I think my final limit was about 60, but I put out more than 40 courses in the space of 3-4 months and there weren't many I'd have been happy deleting. I can see myself hitting a limit of 32 pretty quickly

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Is there any way to actually choose what level I can play co op with my friend? Crazy glaring omission if you can't play specific levels together. Hope it'll be patched in if not.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018

From the creator of Celeste. Really cool level.

I got the world record, woo...that's somethin'.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
We could definitely use a collection of "good for local coop" stages that people can download to course bot and play.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Phew, finally finished up the level I had in mind for this game. Now to try the story mode. :)

Like with most of my levels, this one was made to feel faithful to Super Mario World, as if it was part of that game. I also wanted to make sure I made a level that would have been impossible to create in the first Super Mario Maker. Enjoy! :)

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change the music just on the sub world? I know you can attach sounds to Mario, but that changes the music on the entire stage.

Oct 25, 2017
Can Story Mode stand on its own as a Mario game? I know it has lots of levels and are there to teach you creation, but do they also feel like substantial Mario levels if you just wanna play?

At least in the same sense as Mario Maker 3DS and how it apparently offered a full game's worth of standalone Mario campaign ?

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a mistake to open this game right before work, it's going to feel like torture not being able to play today.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are the stats all mucked up? My level shows 0 times played but then when you click on more info you can see loads of people have played and hearted it.

Nothing is showing under fastest time or anything either.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hmm... maybe that would be easier to manage. Let me sleep on it for rn (I've been playing the game for 6 1/2 hours straight lol), and anybody can post support for/against the idea in the meantime.

This is the first time I've done something on such a scale, so I hope you can forgive some of the roughness haha.
I think I'm for it so that it doesn't clog up this thread. Also you won't have to search through the whole thread for submissions.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Are the stats all mucked up? My level shows 0 times played but then when you click on more info you can see loads of people have played and hearted it.

Nothing is showing under fastest time or anything either.

The server didnt update automatically in the first game. It will take a while before all that stuff registers.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Made my first level in Super Mario Maker 2. It's created in the style of a Mario game, complete with three hidden big coins to collect.

d-kollmu8aapsiv7qk51.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where the last key is located in Level 9/The Keymaster?

edit: nvm I found it

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So, it's my first level, don't judge me!
It's a fast one called "I don't know man... RUN!", because it must be done under 40 seconds, so, hum, run, and titles are hard.

ID: QQ8-G9V-P5G

I think I will only be building in handheld, it's way more intuitive.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's a good stylus to buy for this game? I don't have any stylus outside of my Wii U one, which doesn't work.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been messing around with the course maker today and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but still a ways from making a level that might actually qualify as good. What are everyone's processes for putting levels together. Are you plotting them out on paper first and then transferring them? Do you have an idea or theme in place first? Or are you guys just opening up the course maker and creating on the fly.

Curious about the strategies needed to develop good levels.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I don't understand the scroll stop feature. I though all you had to do was have a wall in front of you and it would make the level not scroll?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to add background blocks to a stage? I want to add "support" pillars to a platform in my level. I'm very frustrated at how limited obvious aspects of the maker interface are and how intelligently fleshed out other areas are.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been messing around with the course maker today and I think I'm getting the hang of it, but still a ways from making a level that might actually qualify as good. What are everyone's processes for putting levels together. Are you plotting them out on paper first and then transferring them? Do you have an idea or theme in place first? Or are you guys just opening up the course maker and creating on the fly.

Curious about the strategies needed to develop good levels.

Original one was done on graph paper (just a sidenote)

mario-levels.jpeg

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I feel like I don't understand the scroll stop feature. I though all you had to do was have a wall in front of you and it would make the level not scroll?
First of all, the wall has to be solid blocks and/or ground blocks.
Secondly, the area must be at least one screen big. Take a picture or video with your Switch and show us, what you are planing to do.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to add background blocks to a stage? I want to add "support" pillars to a platform in my level. I'm very frustrated at how limited obvious aspects of the maker interface are and how intelligently fleshed out other areas are.

Yeah, with the semi-solid platforms, most of those can go behind ground.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So any datamined future features?

I saw how some wording in the Russian Version implies maybe more mounts next to Yoshi.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a learning curve to using the Pro controller or joycons when designing levels, but honestly once I got the hang of it I didn't even think about it anymore.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, with the semi-solid platforms, most of those can go behind ground.
Icy stages look like they just have semi-solid mushroom platforms, no what I'm looking for but they might do. Thanks for the reply, do you know if any builder elements are unlockable by completing the single player?

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf Nintendo. What's up with the running animation sound effect in 3D world mode. It plays every single second. It's so annoying and makes me not want to play that theme. How did that even get through testing? Anyone else bothered by it?

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
From my experience it works as long as you have the wall extend the entire height of the screen. And it might have to be a two blocks thick.
The wall only needs to be one block thick. And you only need to fill the entire height if your level has stuff on the upper part of the level.

Brickable blocks, On/Off Blocks, Ice blocks, Question Mark blocks do not work. Slopes do not work.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I find if you can get one person to play your level then that opens the flood gates and loads will suddenly play it.

I have one level sitting on 0 plays. Another level my mate just played and now it has like 70 plays within an hour.