• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Odyssey?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 597 68.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 274 31.5%

• Total voters

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just hope the next Mario, whether its Odyssey 2 or something new, puts a much heavier focus on platforming. I don't mind it being an open world collectathon, I just want the world itself to be one giant obstacle course, full of platforming. Too many Kingdoms on Odyssey feel void of anything to do. Snow, Cap, Cascade, Cloud, Ruined, Moon etc all are just mind numbingly dull. Once you've been there, there's little reason to go back. Absolutely nothing new to experience or platforming to enjoy. Yeah, there's the little challenge zones, but that takes so much of the fun away when they aren't apart of the world itself. Especially when it doesn't even fit the theme of the Kingdom you're currently in. That's why Super Mario 64 is far superior, even after all these years. The world itself IS the platforming challenge area and its still got plenty of things to see and do.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried multiple sets, turning off WiFi, moving the unit closer....they just cut out sometimes. I use the pro controller with no issue. 104% in Hollow Knight so I know that it works great, lol.
Huh. Well fair enough! Maybe it's an interference thing. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have a duff pair and had no idea! :)

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Galaxy, though not by much. I would say the deciding factor is probably Galaxy's novelty and originality in its level design and gameplay in comparison to Odyssey which is the 3rd exploration based Mario game.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy Imo. I like more focused level design than Odyssey but Odyssey to me was an awesome game too because of the freedom and the movement.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I remember Mario Sunshine being an absolute motherfucker in terms of difficulty, it puts mature games like Uncharted, GOW, Red Dead to shame.

And even though I have yet to play Mario O, I find it unlikely it will be a better game then Sunshine

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember Mario Sunshine being an absolute motherfucker in terms of difficulty, it puts mature games like Uncharted, GOW, Red Dead to shame.

And even though I have yet to play Mario O, I find it unlikely it will be a better game then Sunshine

Most mature games you speak of have difficulty levels. Uncharted on Crushing and God of War on Give me God of War can be extremely challenging. Hell, God of War on GMGOW is at times harder than Soulsborne games, especially Sigrun, who is arguably the hardest boss I've ever fought in a game (on GMGOW).

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy merges the best parts of linear 2D levels with 3D Mario sandbox games. Meanwhile Odyssey I haven't been able to bring myself to keep playing it after I beat Bowser I 100% Galaxy and then fame back for Galaxy 2 and got all 240 stars.

Odyssey is great and all but Galaxy was exceptional.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Most mature games you speak of have difficulty levels. Uncharted on Crushing and God of War on Give me God of War can be extremely challenging. Hell, God of War on GMGOW is at times harder than Soulsborne games, especially Sigrun, who is arguably the hardest boss I've ever fought in a game (on GMGOW).

And those difficulty levels are still not as hard as Mario Sunshine. There are level and challenges in the game I still can't beat to this day.

Me and a mate give it a go, taking turns, we still didn't beat them.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And those difficulty levels are still not as hard as Mario Sunshine. There are level and challenges in the game I still can't beat to this day.

Me and a mate give it a go, taking turns, we still didn't beat them.

As in you tried them when you were young, or recently? Just like you're not able to complete all level challenges in Sunshine, some are not able beat all levels, encounters or bosses etc in these other games too. That's just the way it is sometimes. Different gamers have different strengths and weaknesses, and there's different parts of games that are garde or easier than others.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
As in you tried them when you were young, or recently? Just like you're not able to complete all level challenges in Sunshine, some are not able beat all levels, encounters or bosses etc in these other games too. That's just the way it is sometimes. Different gamers have different strengths and weaknesses, and there's different parts of games that are garde or easier than others.

Both.

Only the Souls games are on the same level of difficulty, played all of the UC games, all of the GOW games, a walk in the park in comparison.

Sunshine was and is notorious for its difficulty in its plat forming

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Galaxy for the level design, creativity and joy!! It was the kind of fun that reminded me of NES era, playing SMB for the first time. Its almost perfect.
Odyssey wins only in the exploration imo. It is great but not nearly perfect.

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Mario Odyssey easily for me. I hated the using the Wii mote to play galaxy. Also believe or not the galaxy games made me a bit motion sick.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both.

Only the Souls games are on the same level of difficulty, played all of the UC games, all of the GOW games, a walk in the park in comparison.

Sunshine was and is notorious for its difficulty in its plat forming

Doubt.gif. Please stream yourself beating Sigrun on GMGOW difficulty (no NG stuff) as if it's a walk in the park. I would love to see you do it first try. Not saying you finding Sunshine more difficult is wrong, that's entirely subjective and appreciable. But calling God of War, especially Sigrun, a walk in the park on GMGOW difficulty is one of the silliest things I've read on here in a while. She is notoriously difficult. As in, some on these very forums haven't been able to beat her, or could only do so on a lower difficulty.

Last edited:

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Doubt.gif. Please stream yourself beating Sigrun on GMGOW difficulty (no NG stuff) as if it's a walk in the park. I would love to see you do it first try. Not saying you finding Sunshine more difficult is wrong, that's entirely subjective and appreciable. But calling God of War, especially Sigrun, a walk in the park on GMGOW difficulty is one of the silliest things I've read on here in a while. She is notoriously difficult. As in, some on these very forums haven't been able to beat her, or could only do so by dropping the difficulty.

We are going off topic but I get the impression you have never played Sunshine at all never mind attempted the challenges so this entire convo is pointless.

I played and finished GOW on its default setting, it's a testament to Sunshine that the game doesn't need Super hard difficulties to challenge the player when it's as hard as any things that's put out today

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are going off topic but I get the impression you have never played Sunshine at all never mind attempted the challenges so this entire convo is pointless.

I played and finished GOW on its default setting, it's a testament to Sunshine that the game doesn't need Super hard difficulties to challenge the player when it's as hard as any things that's put out today

I've played Sunshine, I just never invested enough time to collect all stars or complete all challenges. Hell we're talking 16 years ago now.

Regarding difficulty levels, I think it's a design consideration that devs implement for increased accessibility or to cover a wider range of skill levels. Some games don't have difficulty levels and might majorly increase difficulty the further you get or only in the post game or optional stuff, whilst others have difficulties assigned to all of it. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, though the latter definitely allows more people to explore all the content in any given game, and for the people who want the challenge to still have the option for it.

I don't think age necessarily even comes into it. Some older titles are still to this day some of the most challenging out there, eg Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, DmC 3, Demon Souls etc.

Also, for the record, God of War's default difficulty is Normal, or Give me a Balanced Experience. For experienced gamers or those after a serious challenge like yourself, I can see why it would be far too easy. There are two difficulty levels above it, both are considerably harder. That's often the case for a lot of modern games.

Last edited:

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy in a heartbeat.
It has an actual flow to it despite not being exactly linear.
Odyssey I can't even be bothered to touch anymore. It had 1 trick.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's definitely Galaxy, I prefer a tailored well crafted platforming experience to the open world gameplay.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Liked Odyssey better because i like exploring things at my own pace, but the Galaxy games are superb too!

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey is easily the weakest 3D Mario and Galaxy are definitely the two best. The vast majority of Odyssey's challenges are just boring collection chores.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
64 is still king of the 3D marios to be honest. Odyssey was slightly disappointing in that I thought it was supposed to ape SM64 from some of the prerelease comments, and in some ways it did, but the hub was nowhere near as good.

Strictly speaking Galaxy vs Odyssey I'd probably go with Galaxy.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I've played Sunshine, I just never invested enough time to collect all stars or complete all challenges. Hell we're talking 16 years ago now.

Regarding difficulty levels, I think it's a design consideration that devs implement for increased accessibility or to cover a wider range of skill levels. Some games don't have difficulty levels and might majorly increase difficulty the further you get or only in the post game or optional stuff, whilst others have difficulties assigned to all of it. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, though the latter definitely allows more people to explore all the content in any given game, and for the people who want the challenge to still have the option for it.

I don't think age necessarily even comes into it. Some older titles are still to this day some of the most challenging out there, eg Ghosts and Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, DmC 3, Demon Souls etc.

Also, for the record, God of War's default difficulty is Normal, or Give me a Balanced Experience. For experienced gamers or those after a serious challenge like yourself, I can see why it would be far too easy. There are two difficulty levels above it, both are considerably harder. That's often the case for a lot of modern games.

And none of those difficulties are harder then the challenges that are in Sunshine.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy was pretty much a flawless game and also introduced one of the best characters in the franchise. Odyssey subscribed to the worst kind of open world design, take a big empty box and fill it with a bunch of mcguffins obtained from mundane tasks (kick a rock! visit the shop! buy a costume to open a door!) rather than only giving them out for completing noteworthy tasks and providing you with any sense of accomplishment. The control mapping is also a major gripe for me, 4 face buttons on the controller that you could map abilities too? Nah, have 2 of them perform duplicate actions, then make you press multiple buttons at once to perform basic actions.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
I think you can't compare those games.
Odyssey was more about exploration like mario 64 and galaxy was more like platforming.
If you look at the gameplay mario never felt more right and tight as in odyssey but the music in galaxy is my favourite video game music ever.

Playing smash right now and hearing galaxy music again just reminded me how much I adore galaxy's soundtrack. I kinda felt disappointed that odyssey's soundtrack was (although still very very good) flat compared to galaxy's.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Hard decision for me... I can't compare because I consider Galaxy 1 and 2 an inseparable (the first, and then refinement). In a way, Odyssey never got that, so it always feels like it could use more levels/worlds or bigger locations in comparison.

If I had to choose by gameplay style, I like the traditional 64ish adventure and exploration of Odyssey over the platforming and wonder of Galaxy.

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
I prefer Odyssey to actually play just cause it's more fun to run around in but I love both games

now, if this were Odyssey vs Galaxy 2, there'd be no contest, because Odyssey doesn't have Cloud Mario

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is great fun, and Mario controls amazingly, but man....Galaxy was a revalation for me. The music, the space theme, the level design, all of it was absolutely perfect to me. I would cry tears of joy at a Galaxy 1 & 2 remaster, or a Galaxy 3.

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
I think that my favorite aspect of many of the 3D Mario games is the hub world. I loved poking around the castle for secrets in 64, or running around the ship in Galaxy 2, figuring out how to make its bits and bobs do interesting things.

Odyssey is basically an entire game of that stuff. There are tricky challenges scattered all over the place, but most of the time, you're just running around, messing with Mario's move set and experimenting with what you can poke or shake or stomp to make something whimsical and fun happen. I love it to pieces — its design philosophy is part of what makes current Nintendo so appealing to me.

Plok64

Oct 27, 2017
Both are masterpieces. Galaxy has better focused level design. Odyssey has better feeling mechanics and sense of adventure. If they can cut down on the filler and add more pure platforming in Odyssey 2 it might surpass Galaxy for me.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy has more quality content than Odyssey. Openness doesn't mean much when most of what you're doing in Odyssey are basic chores. I generally agree with Joseph Anderson's analysis of Odyssey as arguably the least good 3D Mario, and his comparison to most of the moons in Odyssey as Korok seeds is apt.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Odyssey is fantastic, but in my mind I expected it to be.

Galaxy on the other hand was a shock for me. Looking back of course it shouldn't have been, but I thought Nintendos uber creative period was over. Sunshine was lacking for me - yeah it's good but it ain't Mario 64.

But fuck me, Galaxy just knocked it outta the park with its beautiful story, graphics, creativity and that soundtrack and controls.

Nintendo isn't my preferred gaming platform, but I won't ever doubt their ability to wow me ever again.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with Galaxy, as one of Odyssey issues is you're given moons for everything. Like, maybe the main "story" of each area has focused level design, but the rest of the game feels like getting Rockstar collectables in an open world, and I mean that in a very unflattering way to Odyssey.

Galaxy was more focused, and thus when you completed things it felt better.