• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game are you playing first?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 1,154 55.6%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 448 21.6%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 475 22.9%

• Total voters

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did the mecha Bowser roller coaster battle and the lack of inverted controls made it near impossible. I have managed to adapt for the fludd mechanics early on since precise movement isn't really needed, but I was getting destroyed by the bullet bills. Hopefully we get a patch for that but not holding my breath.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a stream of Galaxy last night and in Bee Mario Takes Flight it looked like the Queen Bee's dialogue boxes that pop up when you crawl over her ("Ah that feels good!" and the like) were removed? Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
To present myself as the counter to an above post, I love the way swimming feels in 64, that rhythm man, you get the timing on the strokes down for that speed burst and it's all like "WUUURP,WUUURP,WUURP"
This is how SM64 can get away with having a side stage that's literally just a cube filled with water.

That said, it's a shame M64's water sections never really do anything interesting out of having some satisfying movement , and I'd be lying if I didn't notice that making smaller movements wasn't a bit fiddly, which probably explains actually why most of 64's water is open space.
Unfortunately Dire Dire Docks is still the worst stage and the ultimate example of how the game does nothing with the water really.

--

And a random side thought on Sunshine, it's interesting how this is the only Mario platformer where the abstract is thrown out in favour of creating a sense of place, all the main stages are landmarks populated with NPCs, bottomless pits are rare because they don't gel with the rest of the world design and as such classic platforming is shifted to the FLUDD-less voids, it's such a notable one off in the entire platforming series including 2D Mario.
As I go through 64 and am reminded how many stars are "do what you just did but do one thing different/go left instead of right" I kinda respect how Sunshine isn't nearly as heavy on that with just its obligatory race sections being that same kind of approach mostly.

I'm five shines into Sunshine after finishing off 64 (see thoughts a few posts back) and it feels like a massive step up across the board.

Mario feels tighter to control and more nimble - there's a wonderful elasticity to his animations that make moving him around feel satisfying.

Proper 360 degree camera control feels like a revelation after wrestling with the archaic setup in 64.

A hub with a sense of place, NPCs, news bulletins and cutscenes peppered in between levels showing where more paint has sprung up on the island? Count me in.

Worlds that feel like actual locations, populated with people.

Levels that feel like part of a larger whole, thanks to being able to spot other areas off in the distance.

I'd also add that level intros are very welcome. Let's cut out the chaff, stop wasting time and get to the objective.

I've played both games before - but revisiting them 20 years later makes Sunshine feel like a much more accomplished effort. Not without issue of course, but it does a lot of things better than 64 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I got 60 stars in Mario 64 and yea it's a bad game.
Feels like I'm running on ice, while walking through sandquick with a broken arm.

I'm fighting with the controls the whole way through even if I don't touch the camera and zoom out, i get stucks in the wall constantly.

When the game works it's definitely smooth but it's so far between all the bad stuff it's frustrating. The game did not age well at all. I'm still going to get all the stars because I never did beat the game as a kid maybe my opinion will change later.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe so, I'm looking forward to getting into that one after I finish Galaxy since so many people say it's better. There just seems to be a lot of focus on Mario like...zipping around in space while the player does nothing but collect some star bits.
SMG1 is odd because even when you reach the late game and its showing more of its platforming hand, you still have these segments like deep dark galaxy being all "hey motherfucker, you may have 50 plus stars but can you possibly SWIM THROUGH THESE RINGS?!"

SMG2 feels like a game that starts its challenge level at least around mid-late Galaxy 1 and really decreases a number of Galaxy's recurring tropes like "collect the 5 star pieces!", "chase the rabbits!", "light the sconces!", "wooo its space and gravity", it just starts rocking in with obstacle course design on the regular and that's why I love it.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't picked this up yet but probably will. Oddly enough I like Sunshine the least out of the three but I'm most likely gonna play that first since that's the only one of the 3 I didn't get 120 in.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching a stream of Galaxy last night and in Bee Mario Takes Flight it looked like the Queen Bee's dialogue boxes that pop up when you crawl over her ("Ah that feels good!" and the like) were removed? Can anyone confirm if this is the case?
I had the dialog boxes. I remember because I laughed yesterday when she said that when I was between her legs.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I've having a difficult time with any of the pointing controls. I just started so maybe I'll get used to it, but picking up star bits/shooting star bits and the ones where you point and grab onto a point to move Mario have been really frustrating for me so far.

You press A/B to pull Mario towards the blue star. However, Mario can actually move past the blue star if you don't continue to hold A/B which then pulls him to the blue star you're on and stop. But sometimes it's beneficial to move Mario pass the blue star a bit to grab coins or 1-ups. I think you can make him move past it with the direction of the control stick too if you don't hold A/B.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Lol those enemies are what you should be using to shoot him out of the sky. Pick one up, look for where he's hovering and shoot him down.
Petey? Too much down time waiting on him.

what is everyone's verdict on Sunshine's camera?
Lmao i thought i needed to knock down petey with the bubble enemies each time, didnt realize i could just knock him down with water. Wow. It was still absolutely a pain though even after realizing that lol.

Oh I know I can knock him down with just water, that's not my problem. My problem is hitting his mouth with water when he's down. I didn't mean the blowfish enemies that interrupt me but rather the regular slime-bubble enemies that always appear in slime puddles. Whenever I aim for the mouth one of these comes around and I have to abort.

Played through the first two sections of Galaxy, really not feeling the hype with this game. It's definitely fun and all but the linear level design pales in comparison to 3D Land/World imo. Constantly hopping from one planetoid to the next kind of hurts the pacing as well. There's only been one slightly challenging level so far (the candy themed one), and the levels don't have a lot in the way of optional challenges (like the star coins or red/blue coins from other games). Maybe this changes as the game progresses, idk.

I'm enjoying it but it's not as mind-blowing as I expected I guess.

Interestingly enough it's vice-versa for me. On the initial release I was lukewarm on Galaxy, also because I could never handle the Wiimote split-controls well with my disability and even playing it later on Dolphin with my PC and a Dualshock 3/4 I never found the game too special. For whatever reason the levels always felt smaller than 64 levels were in my memory even though I knew that can't be. Playing Galaxy in the collection now I'm having a absolute blast with it for whatever reason.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
After the tease at the of SMO, I wish we would have gotten a full 64 remake, and then added Galaxy 2 here.

Playing 64 stillteleports me back to 1996 and I even found a PDF of the BradyGames strategy guide I had so it's all kinds of nostalgia. All I need is a Dominos pizza because they opened here in town about the same time this came out so the two are nearlyengrained in my mind with each other.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shifting Sand Land is so baaaad. What a completely unenjoyable level.

Also, surely other people have been noticing Mario's face going all ugly and triangular when the camera is far away at times, right? Was that always a thing in SM64, and the higher resolution is just making it more noticeable?

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
The more sensitive controls in Mario 64 aren't always a good thing, but they make going down the slides way easier lol.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm five shines into Sunshine after finishing off 64 (see thoughts a few posts back) and it feels like a massive step up across the board.

Mario feels tighter to control and more nimble - there's a wonderful elasticity to his animations that making moving him around feel satisfying.

Proper 360 degree camera control feels like a revelation after wrestling with the archaic setup in 64.

A hub with a sense of place, NPCs, news bulletins and cutscenes peppered in between levels showing where more paint has sprung up on the island? Count me in.

Worlds that feel like actual locations, populated with people.

Levels that feel like part of a larger whole, thanks to being able to spot other areas off in the distance.

I'd also add that level intros are very welcome. Let's cut out the chaff, stop wasting time and get to the objective.

I've played both games before - but revisiting them 20 years later makes Sunshine feel like a much more accomplished effort. Not without issue of course, but it does a lot of things better than 64 in my opinion.
Yeah, in hindsight Sunshine is a pretty incredible game. It has aged beautifully in most respects. Some design elements are a tad too challenging or clever for their own good, but overall it's just a joy pure and simple to exist in that world.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the extremely minor but cool things in Sunshine is being able to see levels from within other levels. I always thought that was cool back in the day. It's certainly the most environmentally cohesive 3D Mario.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I watched Dan Ryckert play it, that dialogue was definitely in there

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like I'm running on ice, while walking through sandquick with a broken arm.

I'm fighting with the controls the whole way through even if I don't touch the camera and zoom out, i get stucks in the wall constantly.

When the game works it's definitely smooth but it's so far between all the bad stuff it's frustrating. The game did not age well at all. I'm still going to get all the stars because I never did beat the game as a kid maybe my opinion will change later.
i already did a play through of it earlier this year and you couldnt pay me to do that again.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Delfino Plaza is one of the most fun Mario playgrounds ever. If you ever feel like playing Mario but don't feel like playing any Mario level in particular, you boot up Sunshine and bounce around Delfino Plaza - kicking up walls, scampering across rooftops, springing and swinging on tightropes, etc. The plaza is the core of Sunshine and I adore it.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaat? No way, that's one of the best! Use the wing cap and shell to get around

The instant-kill quicksand just kills that level. The level is kind of awkwardly laid out too such that surfing on a shell isn't entirely feasible. The red coins and the red pillar stars resulted in the most deaths for me and my first Game Over. :/

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I can understand why people liked it at the time, and its importance in the history of gaming can't be overstated. But it aged very poorly very quickly. It's the worst 3D Mario platformer by far.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the swimming in Mario 64. And I'm pretty sure they did not fix the hitbox bug of the manta ray rings in Dire Dire Docks.

I remember having serious trouble with it as an 11 year old. I decided to just take it slow this time and it clicked for me. I now get that holding, or tapping B (or whatver button you use to swim) will make you go forward. The stick will point you in the direction. It's kind like a flight stick, pull back to go up and so forth. I let go of the button for reorientation. I also found that when you are trying to get up a ledge from the water, pulling back and holding b will make you hop up onto the ground. I am so much more comfortable with it this time.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I know opinions are pretty divided on Sunshine, but I do genuinely think Mario's water slide ability in that game is fantastic.

So much fun.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Damn, while Sunshine looks really aged on TV and the graphics engine/style reminds me a lot on PC early 2000 and surprisingly a lot on PS1 games with their thin, wobbly, pixelated textures (but it's not bad it's extremely interesting).
In handheld mode, on really small pixels and 720p, it looks phenomenal. Like it could be a brand new Switch release. Crazy.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMG1 is odd because even when you reach the late game and its showing more of its platforming hand, you still have these segments like deep dark galaxy being all "hey motherfucker, you may have 50 plus stars but can you possibly SWIM THROUGH THESE RINGS?!"

SMG2 feels like a game that starts its challenge level at least around mid-late Galaxy 1 and really decreases a number of Galaxy's recurring tropes like "collect the 5 star pieces!", "chase the rabbits!", "light the sconces!", "wooo its space and gravity", it just starts rocking in with obstacle course design on the regular and that's why I love it.
Yeah that makes me excited for Galaxy 2. One thing I will give the game is that the boss fights have all been pretty good so far. No recycled Koopalings or "run past Bowser and hit the button" crap here.
Oh I know I can knock him down with just water, that's not my problem. My problem is hitting his mouth with water when he's down. I didn't mean the blowfish enemies that interrupt me but rather the regular slime-bubble enemies that always appear in slime puddles. Whenever I aim for the mouth one of these comes around and I have to abort.

Interestingly enough it's vice-versa for me. On the initial release I was lukewarm on Galaxy, also because I could never handle the Wiimote split-controls well with my disability and even playing it later on Dolphin with my PC and a Dualshock 3/4 I never found the game too special. For whatever reason the levels always felt smaller than 64 levels were in my memory even though I knew that can't be. Playing Galaxy in the collection now I'm having a absolute blast with it for whatever reason.
Oh yeah I can see the control differences being a big deal, I definitely think the new controls work well for Galaxy

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Personal opinion is 3D Mario got better with each subsequent release. Odyssey > 3D Land/World > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy > Sunshine > 64

Kapote

Jul 3, 2019
I listened to Gusty Garden Galaxy's music sooo many times but to actualy play it for the first time... man. What a game

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a quick 60 star clear of galaxy and I can't express enough how much I love this game. Gotta go back and 100% this and then start working through Sunshine. Will probably revisit Odyssey as I didn't care for that game.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with the long jump in Mario 64? It only works if I use the A button. Not the B button on the pro controller.

Honestly, Mario 64 - I get how iconic it is but this just doesn't hold up. I cant think of any n64 games that do. The wing cap controls are atrocious

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played SM64's PC port, and even with some improvements like an analog camera, it just didn't age well at all. Not surprised by some of what I'm reading here. Excited to get around to Sunshine though.

Oct 27, 2017
81 shines in sunshine today (completely finished all levels except for pianta village, with secret shines and 100 coin shines). i need a break! be back tomorrow, mario.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Playing 64 makes me wish I was playing Galaxy instead, playing Galaxy makes me wish I was playing Galaxy 2 and Sunshine makes me wish I was playing Hotel Mario.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed on 64 not aging super well. I'm still having a blast but there's definitely some needlessly frustrating platforming

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've played both 64 and Sunshine on this thing, but haven't touched Galaxy yet. I think before playing this, Galaxy was the most fresh one on my mind, so I started with Sunshine and played some of it, and then played some of 64. I think I'm going to commit to finishing Sunshine first though. It was definitely the least fresh on my mind since I last played it before this collection in 2002 when it came out.

I don't remember it being bad like most people say, and honestly, playing it now I still think it's a very good game. It's the weakest 3D Mario for sure, but it's very underrated IMO. It does have it's bullshit such as the Sand Bird and Pachinko. It only being 30FPS was kind of disappointing, but I loved some of it's new mechanics, particularly the water slide (shoot water while running, dive and slide). I definitely miss having a long jump though.

Both Sunshine and 64 have aged really well. I'm sure Galaxy will too.