• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Well, thanks to Nintendo's incompetence no one is happy in this case! (People who want Galaxy 2 and people who'd like to have improved versions of 64 and Sunshine, I mean)

Eh, I can't say I'm totally unhappy with the collection. Sunshine getting re-released for the first time in 18 years isn't nothing.

Given how Nintendo typically operates I'm glad they're doing something rather than nothing.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I asked before but I ask again.

anyone know if they have updated or offer the option to change the inverted controls in Mario sunshine? Going back was rough I just can't do them.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Eh, I can't say I'm totally unhappy with the collection. Sunshine getting re-released for the first time in 18 years isn't nothing.

Given how Nintendo typically operates I'm glad they're doing something rather than nothing.
The only reason I'm buying this is Galaxy, but if you asked me, I'd rather have Galaxy 1 and 2 in a single package rather than this terrible effort of a Collection.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I see a few things wrong with this.

1.) No Super Mario Galaxy 2.

2.) Super Mario 64 is just a regular port; No upgrade in graphics, etc. That's just lazy. Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3 had full graphical upgrades, & they came off of the same generation as Mario 64 had.

3.) It's a Limited Edition run. What's wrong with this picture?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Are we still not over no Galaxy 2? That's literally been the story since this leaked in like frikkin' March people. Get over it, the first one is way better anyways.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I see a few things wrong with this.

1.) No Super Mario Galaxy 2.

2.) Super Mario 64 is just a regular port; No upgrade in graphics, etc. That's just lazy.

3.) It's a Limited Edition run. What's wrong with this picture?
Man people should really stop saying lazy, is just that they didn't want to do it, nothing else

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Man people should really stop saying lazy, is just that they didn't want to do it, nothing else

C'mon, man. Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3 had full graphical upgrades through N-Sane Trilogy & Reignited Edition, & they came off of the same generation as Mario 64 had. Same for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask on 3DS.

For Nintendo to not bother doing a full graphical upgrade on this game is just baffling.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I'm buying this is Galaxy, but if you asked me, I'd rather have Galaxy 1 and 2 in a single package rather than this terrible effort of a Collection.
Same. Or even each game being sold separately with enhancements. I'd also take the package we have now, but with a bunch of anniversary extras (interviews, showing off cut content, scrapped music, etc.

As it is this collection is pretty worthless.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bet only Sunshine and Galaxy 1 were ported. Mario 64 is emulated, which explains why it's still in 4:3, 30fps, and 720p.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Super Mario 64 is just a regular port; No upgrade in graphics, etc.
The visual changes will be unnoticeable to casual players who don't quite remember what the original looks like, but the textures are higher-res. Most notable with the HUD and the M logo/buttons on Mario. Pretty much the same way the Smash 64 stages were updated in Smash Ultimate.

Definitely should've been upgraded to be 16:9 like Sunshine though, but anyone expecting much else beyond that after insiders set expectations to a Turok/Doom 64 level effort were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I'm considering cancelling my pre-order—there is no damn excuse for not being able to hit 1080p/60FPS for these titles. 720p for fucking SM64!? It's laughable.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
C'mon, man. Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3 had full graphical upgrades through N-Sane Trilogy & Reignited Edition, & they came off of the same generation as Mario 64 had.
The reason lazy is a stupid reaction is that the people that do the work (developers) aren't the ones that decide these things, that's why lazy is dumb

As for the other two collections, Crash and Spyro were irrelevant, both collections were done to return them to the spotlight, basically Activision played the long game

Last edited:

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon, man. Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3 had full graphical upgrades through N-Sane Trilogy & Reignited Edition, & they came off of the same generation as Mario 64 had. Same for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask on 3DS.

For Nintendo to not bother doing a full graphical upgrade on this game is just baffling.
Still doesn't mean that Nintendo are lazy. They just don't want to invest their resources into doing the same kind of project.

You can be annoyed that they didn't do the same thing, but the Crash and Spyro remakes are a lot of work and money. That sort of project doesn't just magically happen because people aren't "lazy". It's because they budgeted and planned for a project of that scope. In this case Nintendo didn't.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
This thing will cost almost 100 dollars in Canada and they couldn't even bump up the framerate.

tenor.gif

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
User Warned: Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Very lazy on Nintendo's part.
At least offer original and remastered options.
People will still buy it and Nintendo will keep on with their bad habits.

I just run my ripped wii galaxy disc through dolphin and play 4K 60fps.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Galaxy is an amazing game, but Galaxy 2 (as others have mentioned), not being a part of this package really brings it down. Also, Nintendo...Mario 64, this is a weak ass port for a 35th anniversary to the character you owe your empire to. I mean the resources this company has it's disposal. They should of Spyro reignited, Crash Bandicoot NSane T, bluePoint updated that mofo....yet again, Nintendo just feeds us crumbs when we should be feasting. Yet they know we'll eat what they throw down to us. Tidbit scraps of sirloin is better than a feast of stale bread. Still as much as I love Nintendo, they sometimes just stop short of where we expect them to land. Yet other offerings just completely destroy expectations; and we all chase that Nintendo high like the addicts we are. Guess we'll have to wait longer for our next true "fix".

(edit) lol, post above mine before I posted....ya ditto.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
As for the other two collections, Crash and Spiro were irrelevant, both collections were done to return them to the spotlight, basically Activision played the long game

Yeah, this is the main thing.

Both Spyro and Crash had crashed in popularity after their mediocre to bad mid-2000s games. Their collections were essentially Activision trying to gauge interest in both IPs by doing higher effort remasters with graphical overhauls and a reduced price. Mario 3D All Stars on the other hand is just something Nintendo threw together for Mario's 35th and that's it.

Kinda of a shame Nintendo couldn't of done some more work, but the existence of this is very different from why/how the Crash/Spyro remasters were made.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that I at least have Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii U still. Who knows when/if that'll be ported.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame they've done very little to the games. Mario 64 really deserves a full remake at this point. The limited release seems utterly pointless too.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the comparisons to Crash and Spyro aren;t good as thy are full remakes (regardless of what Activision calls them). Though comparing this to collections of ports like Rare Replay or the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection doesn't do 3D All Stars any favors.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I do agree that the comparisons to Crash and Spyro aren;t good as thy are full remakes (regardless of what Activision calls them). Though comparing this to collections of ports like Rare Replay or the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection doesn't do 3D All Stars any favors.

If anything it makes it an even better comparison. Three fully remade from scratch games for $20 less, compared to just some ROM ports with a resolution bump.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Everyone knows Sunshine was originally running at 60fps in 2001 (Space World, alpha) and 2002 (E3, beta) but it was capped to 30fps before release.

So it's a shame that the Switch version isn't 60fps.

Last edited:

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
You're going to start a semantic argument over what constitutes a "remaster." Some feel lighting, texture and model upgrades are necessary to fulfill the definition, whereas others feel an up-res and frame rate increase suffice.
I'm not starting a semantic argument. I'm correcting your misinformation.

They literally asked if it's a remaster. They remastered the games, so the answer is yes. Why the fuck would you say "no"? Because of your own personal definition?

hTUfDag.jpg

This is literally the definition and I 100% guarantee you this is what the average person means when they say "remaster".

You're thinking "remake".

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Even if just a remaster they could've done much more with 64
Doom 64 was given out for free as a pre-order bonus and on its own costs 5 fucking dollars and that game is wide-screen, full HD and features lighting improvements and other enhancements.
Not to mention, that wasn't only made for one platform, it released on every major platform.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I'm not starting a semantic argument. I'm correcting your misinformation.

They literally asked if it's a remaster. They remastered the games, so the answer is yes. Why the fuck would you say "no"? Because of your own personal definition?

hTUfDag.jpg

This is literally the definition and I 100% guarantee you this is what the average person means when they say "remaster".

You're thinking "remake".
You want to score points so bad that you don't even realize you're not responding to the same person.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I think I'll pass on this release. Maybe if I hold out for a few more years, 64 will get a complete remake with new visuals, or a sequel or some sort. I also hope to see Galaxy get a standalone release, or maybe a dual release with Galaxy 2. Zero desire to try Mario Sunshine, sadly.

3d World + Bowser's Fury is absolutely mine, though. Absolutely stoked for that.