• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Subtitles

• Always

Votes: 443 61.1%
  • Never

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • If the audio mixing is poor

Votes: 94 13.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 127 17.5%

• Total voters

beanybody

Oct 29, 2017
My partner's first language isn't English, so I've gotten used to having subtitles on all the time.

It's interesting having them on during sitcoms when the jokes are sometimes different than what is spoken.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
For spanish, never.
For english, most of the time but i'm trying to train my ear to go full without subtitles.
Other languages, always with subtitles.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
If it's for something that's not English, yes always. If not, no. The poll doesn't really give those options though.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
I generally prefer them off. But my wife likes them on, so I've gotten use to it. If I'm watching stuff on my own, they're usually off. Unless I can barely hear the audio, then I'll turn them on.

The one thing that annoys me though, is if I'm watching on my Vizio and HDR or Dolby Vision, the subtitles will brighten the whole screen. I need more local dimming zones.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I always put subtitles on. I love watching foreign films but even movies in English can be impossible to hear clearly because of shit audio mixing or mumbling actors.
I dare you try watching Joaquin Phoenix's filmography without subtitles.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'll use subtitles when I need them, and not when I don't—which means I use them for non-English-language content, occasionally when I'm trying to watch something at a too-low volume, or... recent Nolan movies. I'd rather not have the visual distraction otherwise, if I'm not actively reading them—I'd rather not have my focus divided between the dialogue as it's being spoken or reading it (perhaps faster than spoken).

Anecdotally, it does seem I have an easier time with accents, mumbled or obscured dialogue, and just generally inferring dialogue from context than other people I've watched movies with, and so am less concerned about my comprehension or missing something important.

Last edited:

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I use them in case I miss something since my hearing is not the greatest. That means they will usually be on but I'm not always focusing on them.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If the audio mixing is poor or if I don't want to wake my wife up after she has been working night shifts.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Sometimes. I'll use subtitles when:
  • Audio is not in English. (Either opting not to listen to the dub, or no dub is available.)
  • Listening environment is not ideal.
  • Dialog is heavily accented/harder to understand.
  • Dialog is hard to hear in the mix/background sounds too loud.
I don't turn on subtitles by default, but I'm not against using them.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes I always use subtitles in any video media. With ADHD I sometimes have an extremely hard time following dialogue without them. And as others mentioned here, a lot of movies (especially action-heavy ones) have horrid audio mixing.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the content. If the dubbing is poor/nonexistent or the audio mixing is bad then subtitles are mandatory for me. Otherwise I typically don't need them.

Oct 27, 2017
For most movies and shows, I like the subtitles on. I usually can't understand actors that have a thick regional accent for example, or if they talk too fast and the dialogue is speedy. A lot of dialogue flies over my head, especially in action movies where the explosions and music blast away everything else in the mix lol.

That being said, I think subtitles can be distracting and kind of ruin the experience for things like sitcoms like Seinfeld or Stand up comedy. You see the flow and punchline of the joke before it's said haha. These kinds of experiences are much less cinematic and don't require much visual assistance at all.

Conversational comedy shows and movies are also mixed for general TV speakers and headphones, so you don't need amazing surround speakers or subwoofers to understand what the producers were going for (Tenet and most Nolan films are a good example of the phenomenon of movies made by audiophiles and made for audiophiles who have the fancy gear to actually appreciate the sound design)

Last edited:

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep em on for the most part. I do disable them for comedies though since they tend to ruin punch lines.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Subtitles can sometimes ruin the emotional impact of a scene if you read surprising or important dialogue before it is even delivered by the actor.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Sometimes. Because of my CAPD, how likely I need subtitles is strong function of audio mixing; games are almost always terrible and I need subtitles, but I find it unnecessary for, e.g., dubbed anime. This is assuming I'm watching in a quiet environment, otherwise, yep, subtitles go on.

MatchaMouse

Mar 12, 2018
Always on. Always & forever. When I have to watch anything with a friend or family member who doesn't want to use them I die a little inside.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind how incredibly shallow people can be about the most asinine shit. Their self-esteem must've hit zero for moronic stuff like this to matter.

As for the poll: most always unless it's a rerun of a show. I don't want to miss anything.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Games, all the time.

Movies or shows, typically no unless I'm really struggling to make out lines due to bad mixing or something.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
I watch everything with subtitles and if a movie doesn't subtitles I can't enjoy it that much. Obviously when Movie theaters were a thing, I forgo my subtitle rule.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really mind it but I don't usually use it. Usually just for anime, I guess.

I'm really surprised so many people use subtitles all the time. Crazy

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If I need to watch quietly or if the audio is simply hard to understand for whatever reason, sure. There are reasons, they have their use cases. Obviously it makes sense for those that are hearing impaired or when the content is not in their primary language and they need the help. Sometimes it is a necessity.

But otherwise if you have them turned on without a specific need, you're distracting yourself from the frame, reading dialogue before it happens, spoiling the timing and delivery, missing visual subtlety or outright missing the frame altogether, encouraging a lack of attention and overall lessening your own experience. (Obviously that's talking with new content in mind, not something you've already seen)

A lot of people turn them on because they listen to content using a TV's built-in potatoes and to you I say please at least get a sound bar for your primary viewing device. Even cheap ones are better than the built-ins. A lot of media accused of poor mixing is in reality you trying to play sound out of a vegetable.

It makes more sense for games because the mix is dynamic and can often get drowned out by whatever is happening. And because you're actively playing rather than passively watching, it can be harder to give the dialogue your full attention. If given the option in settings, I usually turn dialogue volume up and the rest slightly down to try and combat that. However sometimes depending on the game they will need to be on.

I pretty much assume that anyone voting for "always" without a specific reason like hearing or language or baby or whatever is the type of person who cant sit through a movie without checking their instagram

I think the poll would be more informative if given options "always just because" and "always because reasons" in addition to the others

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I only use subtitles when I can't understand the dialogue, which is pretty rare for English-language films.

Subtitles can't really match the timing of the spoken performance, and often I feel like I end up reading the subtitle only to have to wait for them... to... say... ...it.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Subtitles off unless it's a foreign language film I don't understand or has poor mixing or I'm watching under poor sound conditions (plane). Film is a visual medium and subtitles draw away attention from the intended focal points in the frame.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
I'll usually turn them on for new movies or tv, always for video games if there is the option.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand dialogue fine so no, I've never thought to put subtitles on an English language show or movie.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never by choice in English movies or shows

Edit: Didn't think about video games. I'll use them quite a bit in video games if they're not hugely distracting. I tend to miss a lot of dialogue because of so much shit going on

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the extra info, but they're too distracting. I want to be looking at characters' faces, not reading subtitles.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Never. Subtitles are distracting and pull me away from what's happening on screen. If something isn't in my native language, I simply don't watch it.

For games, subtitles are always off unless the voice acting is in another language.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Prefer them off. I feel an image without subs is more visually and aesthetically pleasing. Never use them when watching content in the language I speak. That said, they are great for accessibility and watching content outside your language.

In games it's a completely different situation, always keep them on because games can be very dynamic and sometimes you got cases where two characters are speaking to each other, and one of them is far in another room and you can't hear them, but you can read the convo in the subs.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Wth??? People watch with subtitles on at all times? Strange (except for the obvious disability where you would need subtitles). For me subtitles are only on if the show/movie is in a different language. Subtitles > dub in that scenario.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Most of the time, yes. If I'm watching a comedy for the first time, I find it best to not have the subtitles on as it can spoil joke timing. But if you're watching a comedy a second time, it's actually great to have subtitles on because you might catch things you missed the first time around.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I have a lot of trouble understanding British and Irish accents, so I turn them on in those situations. For every other English language accent I leave them off usually.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I do. When I watch without them, I realize I miss out on some things they say even though it feels like I knew what they said.