• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 3, 2018
Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you can not walk/run/bike close to each other.

1*xR4JuvsEr8WFfBJM1qjyvg.jpeg

What is a safe distance when running, biking and walking during COVID-19 times? It is further than the typical 1–2 meter as prescribed in different countries!
In a lot of countries walking, biking and jogging are welcome activities in these times of COVID-19. However, it is important to note that you need to avoid each other's slipstream when doing these activities. This comes out of the result of a study by the KU Leuven (Belgium) and TU Eindhoven (Netherlands). (1)(2)(3)

The typical social distancing rule which many countries apply between 1–2 meters seems effective when you are standing still inside or even outside with low wind. But when you go for a walk, run or bike ride you better be more careful. When someone during a run breathes, sneezes or coughs, those particles stay behind in the air. The person running behind you in the so-called slip-stream goes through this cloud of droplets.

The researchers came to this conclusion by simulating the occurrence of saliva particles of persons during movement (walking and running) and this from different positions (next to each other, diagonally behind each other and directly behind each other). Normally this type of modelling is used to improve the performance level of athletes as staying in each other air-stream is very effective. But when looking at COVID-19 the recommendation is to stay out of the slipstream according to the research.

The results of the test are made visible in a number of animations and visuals. The cloud of droplets left behind by a person is clearly visible. "People who sneeze or cough spread droplets with a bigger force, but also people who just breathe will leave particles behind". The red dots on the image represent the biggest particles. These create the highest chance of contamination but also fall down faster. "But when running through that cloud they still can land on your clothing" according to Professor Bert Blocken.

On the basis of these results the scientist advises that for walking the distance of people moving in the same direction in 1 line should be at least 4–5 meter.
For running and slow biking it should be 10 meters and for hard biking at least 20 meters.
Also, when passing someone it is advised to already be in different lane at a considerable distance e.g. 20 meters for biking

Sources :

medium.com

Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you should not walk/run/bike close behind each other.

What is a safe distance when running, biking and walking during COVID-19 times? It is further than the typical 1–2 meter as prescribed in…

Posting this since Ive seen discussion and debates about running. biking etc have popped up in various threads. Obviously this data can and more than likely will change as they get more info and we know more about the illness. But best to be safe instead of regretting it later.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
10 meters? Damn, I dunno fucked up. I run everyday and pass a ton of people. I've been trying to keep six feet distance, running in the street often times, but I guess that's not enough

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Been trying not to walk behind people when walking the dog. Especially if there is a breeze. Should also always be aware if you're down wind or up wind from someone. Just be conscious of things like that

Oct 26, 2017
Luckily I'm my neighborhood it has been easy to avoid people when we are out. Not many people go out of their house in non quarantine situations. Even when we do see someone we've made sure to go to the other side of the road if someone is on the sidewalk up ahead.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I litterally cross the street if I see someone walking when I'm jogging. And if I can't, I turn around.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So basically don't live in a city. Got it.

It's good to know this stuff, but some of it is getting ridiculous.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
San Francisco marina and pac heights were full of groups of athletic wear yuppie groups working out. More people out there there before the virus was going on. I've just being doing body weight workouts at home.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's why the government and health institutions are recommending people to stay at home in the first place. Unless if you're essential workers.

But the government is still saying to go outside for exercise and activity.

California is the first place to shelter in place in the US and their FAQ states this:

Outdoor recreation
Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?

Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren't part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

So further guidance is good for people to learn.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Californian. I've edited my post to list their official guidance on it.

Even the UK says so:

13. Can I go to the park?
You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only alone or with members of your household, not in groups.

Communal places within parks such as sports courts, playgrounds and outdoor gyms have been closed to protect everyone's health.

We ask that households use parks responsibly and keep 2 metres apart from others at all times.

Unless you are with members of your household, gatherings of more than two people in parks and other public spaces have been banned. The police have the powers to disperse gatherings and issue fines if necessary.

Canada too:

You can go for a walk if you:

• have not been diagnosed with COVID-19
  • do not have symptoms of COVID-19
  • have not travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days
If you go out for a walk, do not congregate and always practise physical (social) distancing by keeping at least 2 metres apart from others at all times.

I haven't seen one where it said you can't exercise yet.

Last edited:

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. Next time I'm on a walk and some sweat-glistening Corona Joe comes jogging by I will cross the street.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen one where it said you can't exercise yet.
AFAIK Italy, Spain, India, forbid outdoor exercising.

My country does too, parks are closed and cycling is allowed only as a transportation method, however, it's being highly regulated.

Edit: This mayor had some words for the joggers :v

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah here in Indy our trails, sidewalks, and even driveways have been packed the last few days with the weather being nicer.

I've never seen people outside as much as I did before this virus. It's like the 4th of July or Memorial Day every day. I'm skeptical people are maintaining social distancing while doing all of these activities.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

My country does too, parks are closed and cycling is allowed only as a transportation method, however, it's being highly regulated.

This says otherwise for at least Italy:

After numerous appeals to the government to let children outside for some fresh air after three weeks of quarantine, the government has said that it is allowing parents to take under-18s out for a short walk.

Each child can be accompanied by one adult - unless the children are siblings, in which case only one adult should be supervising them, the rules state.

Going out for a walk and a breath of fresh air near home is fine, though bike rides, games and other activities are still not allowed, the Interior Ministry clarified on Tuesday.

People are allowed to walk or run "in the vicinity of their homes" but are still "forbidden to carry out recreational activities outdoors, and access parks, villas, play areas and public gardens,"

This exercise, according to the circular, is allowed for "reasons of necessity or health".

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles

Edit: This mayor had some words for the joggers :v

Ah damn, I've been running as my main means of exercise. There goes that... goddam, this is brutal.

Oct 27, 2017
Runners in my area were already pissing me off by basically forcing me off the sidewalk into the street in order to avoid them running side by side while they pant conversation at each other. Now this? gtf outta here! I'm just trying to get groceries! I'd go at midnight to avoid them, but the stores are already closed then :(

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Glad I live in semi-rural suburbs. We go for walks and if there is someone else walking, they walk on the other side. I've gotten to know more neighbours in the last couple of weeks, than my previous 10 years living here.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
The rejection of what seems like grade school level common sense surrounding this virus has been nothing short of astonishing. You've got a fucking respiratory disease knowingly spread through aerosols and the carnival of stupid has arguing againsts masks for everyone and advocating FOR going to a fucking public park to suck air with 50 wheezing assholes spewing shit directly in your face. Flat earthers have more common sense than most of the so called progressive intellectuals on this very board.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me...
I was biking all last week with my kid...I need to erase this article from my memory, not helping with anxiety, we were even told by NV governor walking and riding was fine if we were spread out

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The rejection of what seems like grade school level common sense surrounding this virus has been nothing short of astonishing. You've got a fucking respiratory disease knowingly spread through aerosols and the carnival of stupid has arguing againsts masks for everyone and advocating FOR going to a fucking public park to suck air with 50 wheezing assholes spewing shit directly in your face. Flat earthers have more common sense than most of the so called progressive intellectuals on this very board.

Social Media has really made people fucking stupid. It's taken away their critical thinking skills and people just latch onto whatever narrative fits their already preconceived views.

I love the internet and everything it's done for society, but I hate the culture that's come up around it.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Why don't jump rope? It's better than running.

For some specific training regiments I would agree. Running is an overall much better cardio exercise though.

The findings of this study appears to be super extreme. Maybe 10 ft should be safe, but 10 meter, that's 30 f'ing feet. Walking next to one another from the building to the edge of the sidewalk is at most 8 ft in some of the streets I live around. This suggests I need to be across the street every time I cross paths with someone outside that's insane. I understand it's a precaution, but this is simply not realistic for people living in cities.

Maybe 5-6 meters might be more reasonable, since there is likely a gradient as to how likely you can contract the virus. All literature I've read about covid-19 is that it is respiratory droplets that is the main transmission of disease from person to person. This suggests that there is an unlikely chance that breath alone can spread the disease unless that person literally breaths on you. The diagram (running in someone's slipstream) suggests that the disease is transmitted by aerosol, virus going airborne. Again, from all literature I've read, that is not the case.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Of course, this is why they say to stay inside unless for necessary trips. It shouldn't be a surprise, right? Don't be around other people unless you have to be. If you have like a backyard or something where you are guaranteed to not transmit particles to anyone else with wind factored in, that would be okay I guess, but if you're running around other people or biking or whatever the virus doesn't care that you have to get close sometimes to pass them.
I think some people just want to get outside. Some of us JUST got through a brutal winter.
I know, I get it, but unfortunately we have a pandemic happening so we just have to chill for a while. It sucks ass but it is what it is.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course, this is why they say to stay inside unless for necessary trips. It shouldn't be a surprise, right? Don't be around other people unless you have to be. If you have like a backyard or something where you are guaranteed to not transmit particles to anyone else with wind factored in, that would be okay I guess, but if you're running around other people or biking or whatever the virus doesn't care that you have to get close sometimes to pass them.

I know, I get it, but unfortunately we have a pandemic happening so we just have to chill for a while. It sucks ass but it is what it is.
Oh I know. But people here put shirts on when the weather breaks 40 degrees Fahrenheit the first time. Good luck with these 70 degree days.

Most people I've seen have been keeping their distance though, so that's good.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If this is true.... then man almost all of us has been exposed to this virus.

I mean that's running in Public with wind.

But what about all of us who weren't wearing a mask weeks ago going grocery shopping... or at work... or on our way and back from work.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm sorry but riding my bike 20 miles on paths and roads is far less dangerous than Joe going to a grocery store for beer or Jane going to Home Depot for paint.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
If this is true.... then man almost all of us has been exposed to this virus.

I mean that's running in Public with wind.

But what about all of us who weren't wearing a mask weeks ago going grocery shopping... or at work... or on our way and back from work.

The only reason this thing, as opposed to SARS, took off like it has is because people can spread it while being asymptomatic.

The difference between SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 is that SARS went straight for the lung cells, SARS-CoV-2 starts in the throat and takes a much longer approach to get to the lungs. This is why people can spread it and not show symptoms.

People have been spreading it for months not knowing they had it.

It really is a stealthy little fucker, can't wait to see us kick is ass.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You literally can't exercise outside if you adhere to this. It would be impossible in big cities and at anything resembling a park or track. And getting exercise is kinda essential to being healthy. Good thing I have a stationary bike since my gym closed but it sucks for those who don't have that option.