• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Amid the streaming wars, companies have had to experiment and figure out what works to keep subscribers interested. Subscriber churn is real and the competition for viewership is intense with viewers having an average of five streaming subscriptions in 2021.

One of the heavy drivers of subscriptions is new, popular content. When a movie or series is heavily anticipated or begins trending, it's no surprise that viewers want to get in on the action, so they subscribe to a service.

In recent Antenna streaming subscription data provided to The Wall Street Journal, it looks like popular content is a major contributor to increasing subscriptions. "Greyhound" on Apple TV+, "Hamilton" on Disney+, and "Wonder Woman 1984" on HBO Max all caused a spike in subscriptions at the times of their release.

Link to story

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i saw an article about netflix this morning and after a month most of their new contents viewership falls of a cliff in month two. even with something as popular as squid game was.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
At the very least, retaining the price I'm used to would help, lowering it would be even nicer.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
This is why Quibi failed. They had new content, and I'm sure some of it was good, but they had no legacy content that people wanted to watch to keep them occupied while they waited for new content.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
How long until we start see 6 month contracts?
that's gotta be in the works. Netflix will be the first to try it too "Save X amount of money by using the 6 month plan instead of paying $20 a month". it wont be worth it in the end.

maybe Paramount+ or Peacock gets hungry enough to try first.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i saw an article about netflix this morning and after a month most of their new contents viewership falls of a cliff in month two. even with something as popular as squid game was.

I think the binge watch model is partly to blame for this. Having shows release over several weeks keeps them in the conversation, keeps the audience engaged and guessing. Probably also why they started breaking up seasons to release over time

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I mean yeah, the only real answer to this is forcing subs to last longer than a month. I would be super down to see discounted subs if you buy more months at once (like Xbox and PlayStation services) but am not optimistic.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
What the hell do they expect? Everyone got away from cable because people didn't want to pay $100+ for TV with ads and now we've got a fully fragmented marketplace where there's like 10 services all costing $10-20. No shit people are gonna drop in and out lol. You've recreated the market we all ran away from.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how relevant the point is. There is churn with everything but it's all about keeping your base number up.

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm being honest, the only thing that keeps me on streaming services long term is if they have somewhat consistent releases and if they're so cheap I'm too lazy to quite and resub, and thus far a lot of them are starting to/already exceeded that price point

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Well duh, you need a back catalogue, else people will quickly watch what they want that is new and then switch off

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
How long until we start see 6 month contracts?
Paramount+ and Disney+ already have yearly options. I'm not surprised, either, because it makes sense to give people options like this.
What the hell do they expect? Everyone got away from cable because people didn't want to pay $100+ for TV with ads and now we've got a fully fragmented marketplace where there's like 10 services all costing $10-20. No shit people are gonna drop in and out lol. You've recreated the market we all ran away from.
Every time I see this it seems silly to read, because it's still not the same thing. You're opting in to each service you sub to, not forced to rent equipment, have contracts and packages you don't need or want. We wanted a la carte options and this really is it, and it's actually better in most cases because it's agnostic of your service providers. I did the math and including YoutubeTV, which is an outlier in price, I still pay less for YTTV, HBO, D+, Hulu and Netflix (plus a couple of anime subs) than I ever did with DirecTV or TWC. By a lot. And the prices I paid for cable/satellite were without HBO because I didn't like paying extra for premium channels we would barely use.

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
From the WSJ article -

mtaxiYD.png

Netflix is doing a much better job retaining customers than its competitors - it's not even close.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine D+ will have the easiest time of getting consistent viewership in a year or two. The fanbases for Star Wars and MCU stuff is pretty similar, and they'll eventually reach a point where there's at least one new episode of a show for either franchise premiering most weeks of the year.

From the WSJ article -

mtaxiYD.png

Netflix is doing a much better job retaining customers than its competitors - it's not even close.

Netflix also has the most well established recurring content of the lot, so it'd make sense people would stick with them as they watch new things and get alerts about new episodes. I don't think it's set in exactly what the other streamers have, as a lot of core titles have jumped around over the years. The exception would be Disney+, but the legacy content there is specialized to the point if you wanted it you likely already have it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
currently have Apple TV+, HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. Some of its paid via phone plans. I haven't yet gone to the model where we cut off some services but I think as services raise their prices we'll be slowly going to a rotation where stuff like Apple TV and HBO max and Netflix are only on 3-4 months of the year. One service will be the backbone thats on all year and the rest will be in rotations, and like the article says a lot of it is gonna be on the strength of the back catalog, not just new stuff.

There's simply way too many streaming services at this point.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
We will just see them go back to weekly episodic releases

releasing everything at once also seems insanely dumb for subscription services

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of it's a matter of the newer services needing to build up their libraries, which will take time. The goal, I suspect, is to get new subs and then convince them that the service is so worthwhile that they remain subscribed. I think that Disney + and HBO Max have done a fairly good job of that. The chart in post 21 shows that the services with a deeper library have better retention, which certainly stands to reason.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
From the WSJ article -

mtaxiYD.png

netflix, especially with animation, but you're seeing it more with Live action, like Ozark, is filming more up front and dividing the seasons in half so you get them faster. the'll scope out like 30 episodes of an animated show and order it as if it's '1 season' and then split it into 3 10 episode 'seasons' and release all of it in 1 year. they are doing 2 season of ozark and 2 seasons of cobra kai in half the length of time it would traditionally take to get out 2 full seasons.

i imagine we'll see more of that, bigger up front investments but shorter/tighter net seasons, create double the hype around a show and keep subs longer for retention

(we do this in games all the time!)