• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I recall someone sharing a tweet from one of the Mojang founders that said Nintendo began negotiating for Steve in Smash five years ago

Yeah, I think this game development business is way more complex and time consuming than it looks on the outside. I think it was stated that the development of Ultimate started before or right after the last DLC for Smash 4 came out.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to catalogue the mineral composition of all 100+ regular stages so we know the breakdown of dirt, wood, stone, iron, etc

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter Rise with a full moveset for each weapon and rideable attack dog

I don't think anything will top it in terms of having to go through every stage to implement mining deposits

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
There's something poetic about Steve being the most complex character in Smash, I kinda want it to stay that way.

Oct 27, 2017
I was amazed while watching the video tour for Steve in smash.

Wonder what fighting community purists have to say about it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It would be kinda interesting if they made Steve more or less a Sword character. But then created Smash Ultra where every character has complex movesets from their own games, haha.

Steve is nuts! Compared to Jiggly Puff that can sleep you or punch you.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The block-building tricks are exciting. You can create walkways to get back to the stage, walls to prevent opponents from recovering, blocks to absorb projectiles or feint your fall, or even platforms from which to attack people offstage. All of this, along with minecart and TNT traps, falling flintlock fires and lingering magma blocks, etc, will make for a compelling trickster fighter, methinks.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Goku with all his moves, forms, fusions and a dragon ball wish
YwgWwtR.jpg

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I'd love to see long-standing characters returned to for expanded movesets... it's amazing how unique they've gotten.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A Dark Souls rep with stamina management and an expanded dodge-roll/shielding system.

A reworked version of Mario that attacks by jumping and landing on opponents.

Ring Fit Adventurer, with an optional Ring-Con control scheme.

A Golden Sun character with Djinn that change your class configuration (and by extension, moveset) as you use them up. Also, you have to map Psynergies to the L/R buttons, but can only have two mapped at a time, so you have to open a menu and manually select the rest of them when you want to use them, and you pretty much always have to set Move as one of the L/R ones.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
He's gonna be mad low tier, but the fact that Battlefield/Omega stages have set materials makes him at least usable in a way.
It's way too early to tell tiers, but I can't see them being super low. Stage counterpicking will definitely play a big role of course, but I can't imagine many stages will leave him completely unusable.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I agree with this. I love that Sakurai & Co. went all out on Steve/Alex, but those sorts of characters should definitely be the exception, not the rule.

I can envision a lot of (perhaps younger) players wanting to just mess around with Steve and maybe struggling a bit with the learning curve.
This is certainly why Steve/ Alyx have spammable running attacks. It will be a huge crutch as we experiment with the more complex tools.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
I guess Minecraft is old enough now that many of the people who grew up with it are now teens and adults, so maybe it's less of an issue. But Steve seems way too complex for a character who I would think would be a big draw for younger players. Also, maybe it's less complex in actual gameplay instead of a 45-minute long deep dive breakdown of his moveset. It'll be interesting to see how he goes over when people get their hands on him
Kids will figure out anything if they're really into it. It's ironic you're saying this, because Minecraft itself is very complex and had no in-game tutorials when it was initially booming like crazy.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Phoenix Wright. He'll come up with something crazy without even copying his UMVC3 moveset.

I wish.

Apr 21, 2018
Honestly nothing can top this. It's incredible. But I'm down for some more classic style Master Chief, Geno, Rayman type fighters. Just give us those classic songs and nostalgic stages.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, but I hope the characters really stop getting this complex. This is a problem for me with the more recent League of Legends characters, where their abilites need to be explained by multiple paragraphs instead of a small description.

But just for the sake of the thread, and looking at my nº 1 most wanted character: Sora from KH, were his specials are choosen on a command menu. And drive forms change his normal combos and how magic works.

200px-Command_Menu_%28Station_of_Awakening%29_TwT_KHII.png

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
"finally, a victory steak"

I gotta say that yeah while it is complex, it definitely feels like a 'pay to play' character where you are getting your moneys worth. They absolutely did not phone this one in.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
A faithfully recreated Sora with Magic/Shotlocks/Drive Forms/Summons etc... would be insane.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
In terms of like, programming complexity, I don't think Sakurai can top "rework every stage".

I think the next logical step though for this Fighter's Pass is a true weapon switching character though. Someone like Dante, Rex, or Monster Hunter could probably pull off that gimmick.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The man is just mad. I don't know how he can create a brief for a character like this one that implies sooo many programming challenges to the point of reworking all the 80+ stages and say: yeah, this is fine, let's do it.

He is second to none when it comes to honour the source material he is working with. I can't see anyone going this deep adapting a Minecraft character into a fighting game. Its not just a Minecraft tribute, it's a fucking Minecraft game with all the Minecraft mechanics inside of Smash Bros. And somehow it will work!

A wizard, I tell you.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
DOOM Slayer could have a bunch of systems:

-Limited ammo, possibly a single consolidated resource with each weapon taking a different amount of ammo per shot
-Chainsaw melee attacks would restore ammo (could also have passive regeneration over time, or restoring a slight amount when connecting melee attacks)
-Lighting enemies on fire with the Flame Belch would make them drop armor shards at a low rate, or a whole bunch of them if the Slayer connects with damage while the opponent is still burning. Armor would be a separate resource and have priority over % damage when the Slayer is hit. Armor cap could be around 15-20% to make it so he's not invincible.
-Hold down B for a weapon wheel with 6+ weapons, each of which could have primary fire and alt fire attacks. Tapping down B would quickly switch to the previously equipped weapon.
-Killing an enemy with a grab (glory kill) could restore health

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
There will be an entire fighter pass for Dante because he's like 7 characters in one.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
The man is just mad. I don't know how he can create a brief for a character like this one that implies sooo many programming challenges to the point of reworking all the 80+ stages and say: yeah, this is fine, let's do it.

He is second to none when it comes to honour the source material he is working with. I can't see anyone going this deep adapting a Minecraft character into a fighting game. Its not just a Minecraft tribute, it's a fucking Minecraft game with all the Minecraft mechanics inside of Smash Bros. And somehow it will work!

A wizard, I tell you.

Serious respect to Sakurai and all the team working on the game These things aren't just willed into existence and they somehow made it during a global pandemic.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
You play as Akane Kurashiki. You have to jump from timeline to timeline until you find one where your character wins the fight. You can be thrown out in bad timelines too, careful to not miss the sudoku game and end up on the incinerator.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
They won't top it
But I think we might FINALLY get a stance switch character in this pass to keep with the unique gameplay concepts
The closest we have now is Pokemon Trainer but that's really three characters since their physical attributes drastically change along and not just their attacks.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
The effort put into Steve makes me feel quite sad for Inkling. A splatoon character had potential to be much more, she barely plays like the actual game.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
The effort put into Steve makes me feel quite sad for Inkling. A splatoon character had potential to be much more, she barely plays like the actual game.
Maybe they didn't have enough time, I feel like there are some stuff in Ultimate that seem very unlike Sakurai. Like Chrom still being part of Robin's Final Smash, Alph still being an alt-skin, Young Link not having anything from Majora's Mask in his Final Smash. Ultimate has sooo much stuff in it and a lot of characters got some reworks, its really quite amazing how much the game gives and how good it is.

They won't top it
But I think we might FINALLY get a stance switch character in this pass to keep with the unique gameplay concepts
The closest we have now is Pokemon Trainer but that's really three characters since their physical attributes drastically change along and not just their attacks.
Rex and blade switching

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean... Sakurai had SSBU's development time to consider 80 characters

The whole 2-3 years for FP1-2 gives them much more time to focus on individuals

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'll take a Sim. A Sim that you control using a radial menu.

Or Doom Slayer with a weapon wheel and focus on a "run and gun" play style.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It truly is a staggering amount of detail going into Steve. The crafting/mining stuff is the sort of intricacy that makes Smash stand in a league of its own.

The announcement didn't get me, but seeing Steve in action sure did.

I genuinely have no idea how Sakurai & co. can top this one. But I'm sure they will, somehow.

Apr 21, 2018

You don't think so? I feel like the ink mechanics make the Inkling standout and it feels a lot like playing a 2D version of Splatoon.

I really have no complaints on Inkling and their moveset/implementation. My only issue is I really don't like the Splatoon stage.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to catalogue the mineral composition of all 100+ regular stages so we know the breakdown of dirt, wood, stone, iron, etc
www.ssbwiki.com

Terrain

Terrain is the type of material that a platform of a stage is composed of. Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are all known to use different types of terrain in their stages, and...

the exact rates will need to be data mined but the rates likely won't be unique by stage

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Ape Escape will probably be just as complex as Steve, if not Hero.

Think about this, you are given 2 basic tools, the Net, the Sword, and then your Specials could be any number of tools that are taken from each game of the series. Those special tools are what you use to solve puzzles to lure the apes out of their comfort zones in the original games.

The protagonists will either be Spike/Kakeru, or Yumi/Sayaka.

You have a lot of Spirits that can be included, so Sakurai can introduce a new franchise to everyone. It is also a Sony first party studio representative.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Kiryu Kazuma is the most obvious choice with the most obvious different fighting styles. I will be pretty surprised if he is never added.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play this game, but anyone arguing against unique mechanics is a nut. Why in the world would anyone want DLC characters to be as basic as possible? Crazy movesets are kind of the point of taking the time to make new characters after the base roster is complete.

Casuals don't care about characters having lots of mechanics since they just button mash and have fun anyway.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't play this game, but anyone arguing against unique mechanics is a nut. Why in the world would anyone want DLC characters to be as basic as possible? Crazy movesets are kind of the point of taking the time to make new characters after the base roster is complete.

Casuals don't care about characters having lots of mechanics since they just button mash and have fun anyway.
pretty much this

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
* me before watching that video *

How could you even use blocks and materials to fight? That seems so unintuitive. I don't see how that would work. They'll probably just let him set up a block to block and let him attack with the sword. I can't see how you'd turn minecraft as a game into a smash character.

* me after watching that video *

Lol of course you can use blocks and crafting with a smash character. It so elegantly fits into the game. The strategy is deep and complex. Such a simple, obvious set of mechanics that make total sense.