• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Default Sekiro Steam Input Bindings for PC.

Looks like simultaneous mouse gamepad, but not full on API support. Will report back!
P2bjrAq.jpg

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. Can't wait to hear how it feels.

Default feels awesome. Personal taste means I have immediately set the right pad to low friction. Sensitivity is set a little low perhaps and a tiny bit jittery, so I might smooth that out a little, but so far so good.

I'm guessing once I get further, I'll want to map a touch menu on the right pad to mirror the dpad, similar to dark souls.

For menus the mouse cursor pops up immediately. So this might be a good time to use the an action layer / mode shift activating only when the cursor is visible!

One issue of frustration is that Steam isn't registering my BPM confog and Desktop confog, so my preferred controls for chat / Web aren't working at the moment

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Default feels awesome. Personal taste means I have immediately set the right pad to low friction. Sensitivity is set a little low perhaps and a tiny bit jittery, so I might smooth that out a little, but so far so good.

I'm guessing once I get further, I'll want to map a touch menu on the right pad to mirror the dpad, similar to dark souls.

For menus the mouse cursor pops up immediately. So this might be a good time to use the an action layer / mode shift activating only when the cursor is visible!
Nice!

Oct 25, 2017

One issue of frustration is that Steam isn't registering my BPM confog and Desktop confog, so my preferred controls for chat / Web aren't working at the moment
Please upload your edited profile when you're happy with it! Your changes sound like the stuff I'd do and would save me the trouble :P

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

Strange I am trying this now and none of the gamepad bindings work, nothing happens pressing any of them :( Only the mouse movement works. I changed right trigger to left mouse and that worked to click through settings, so it seems like I have to do full keyboard and mouse based which would be a little dissappointing . Any ideas why that could be happening?

Edit: Nevermind! Figured it out. The game was messed up by detecting my Logitech G920 racing wheel I have connected and when I disconnected that it now works normally. Damn racing wheel always causing me trouble haha, I hate having to unplug it though.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Strange I am trying this now and none of the gamepad bindings work, nothing happens pressing any of them :( Only the mouse movement works. I changed right trigger to left mouse and that worked to click through settings, so it seems like I have to do full keyboard and mouse based which would be a little dissappointing . Any ideas why that could be happening?

Edit: Nevermind! Figured it out. The game was messed up by detecting my Logitech G920 racing wheel I have connected and when I disconnected that it now works normally. Damn racing wheel always causing me trouble haha, I hate having to unplug it though.

Does disabling the wheel in Device Manager work aswell instead of unplugging it?`If so you could use NirCMD or AutoHotKey to make a shortcut for disabling and enabling the wheel on your desktop.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Really happy with the Steam Controller and Sekiro. Went ahead and made my own binding. Frankly Valve, should make this a mode in it's own right considering how frequently I use it:

I made a binding set which I call "Kuro's Right Pad and Grip" - which will allow you to play without changing grip position

By default, the controller will behave as a gamepad, but right pad will give you mouse control, and clicking in the pad is right stick. Left grip is jump, right grip is (x) for actions, grabing etc.

What I've done, is also mirror the dpad into the right pad. By inverting the deadzone, a nice feeling central portion of the pad can be clicked for right stick click, but click a tiny bit further up/down/left/right, is the dpad. This is soooooooo good in the heat of battle when you don't want to lose control of movement and continue to want extremely quick camera control. You can adjust how big the right stick click / dpad area is via the deadzone.

There is also an "action layer" you can apply with the select button, which will indicate on screen you are in "combat" mode. It just switches out Right grip to be (B) instead of (x), for dodging in battles. Press the back button and a message will confirm you are back to default.

Fucking rad! Config link - steam://controllerconfig/814380/1691752176

ZHtGvAs.png

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really impressed with the Sekiro config for the Steam controller. It's a great demonstration of Steam input giving you full analog movement (really useful since the keyboard movement in Sekiro is really awful), correct button prompts, and mouselook at the same time. I switched over to it and have been loving it, it's really made me think about using the Steam controller more often for third person action games. My only problem is that so many of them don't support mouse and xinput at the same time so you won't get the same level of control that Sekiro does.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help with getting SC working with The Division 2 via Uplay? I've added the game/uplay to Steam and everything launches just fine from Steam, but the Steam Controller wont work. Since the game doesn't recognize it, there's no gamepad UI and the SC continues to use the desktop config so only half the inputs work (no left joystick for example). It's annoying.

Made sure gamepad is enabled in settings, and tried so many different settings within steam. Just can't get it working. Weird this is it was working at first but not sure what I did to mess it up.

Edit: Nevermind I think it was because I gave the game's exe start as admin command, removed that and it seems to be working now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yesterday I thought how great an improved Steam Controller would be. I hope this is real.
mWzb9Pg.png

The best controller gets better.

Indeed! I think one of my other hopes for the controller is that it is less loud. FSR, as opposed to switches (which I'm guessing is the case in the current Steam controller) would cut down on noise a bunch. Haptic noise has been fine, but button clicks and pad presses are a little much for me, particularly when playing late

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any list anywhere of games that have official Steam Input support, or ones that are confirmed to support gamepad + m/kb inputs simultaneously? Playing Sekiro with the Steam controller has been really great and I went back and played some Dark Souls 3 with it and it was also really good. I want to play more games with that level of support. Having full analog stick control, proper button prompts AND the accuracy of the mouse for camera movement is just awesome.

One thing I'm kind of disappointed to learn, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steam controller doesn't have any mode for sending the old direct input gamepad signals to a game. I always thought that it did until I tried to configure an old game recently. It seems to me like a huge oversight, as there are a ton of old games like the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy on Steam that only accepted direct input as a gamepad. I really thought the Steam controller would work for these, but the configs created for it are all just sending m/kb inputs which isn't ideal.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm kind of disappointed to learn, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Steam controller doesn't have any mode for sending the old direct input gamepad signals to a game. I always thought that it did until I tried to configure an old game recently. It seems to me like a huge oversight, as there are a ton of old games like the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy on Steam that only accepted direct input as a gamepad. I really thought the Steam controller would work for these, but the configs created for it are all just sending m/kb inputs which isn't ideal.
Yeah, it's unfortunate because it means you can't get it working in joystick mode with a lot of old games. Thief is the one which always bothered me the most, as that game has more than just two or three movement speeds via keyboard inputs and doesn't really map nicely to the Steam Controller.
Analog control would be ideal, but I haven't found a way to get that working with the Steam Controller.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Steam Controller 2 (potentially) - https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/01/69/7f/e5c0594265db66/WO2018236966A1.pdf

Good to see they are still looking at the future of it. Looks like there potentially could be a 4 grip button back - which would be awesome

PdKk5z0.jpg

With that grip button layout though, wouldn't it encourage playing with index fingers on triggers (instead of bumpers)? Or would you be using the bottom grip buttons with your pinkie fingers?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
With that grip button layout though, wouldn't it encourage playing with index fingers on triggers (instead of bumpers)? Or would you be using the bottom grip buttons with your pinkie fingers?
That's how I hold the controller already. Regardless, more than likely it'll be more comfortable to hold the controller however you do now and just use one finger to move between the two grips. Just don't configure your setup to need both top and bottom grip at once.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I've had my index fingers on the bumpers since original Playstation when they didn't know how to comfortably lay out a control scheme on that many buttons yet. Bumpers almost never have something that needs a dedicated finger for it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
That's how I hold the controller already. Regardless, more than likely it'll be more comfortable to hold the controller however you do now and just use one finger to move between the two grips. Just don't configure your setup to need both top and bottom grip at once.

I thought the general idea was to use the SC with index on bumpers and middle fingers on triggers?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
How do I enable game specific controller settings for a particular game?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
It definitely depends on the person. Holding the controller w/ my index fingers on the bumpers leads to strain and discomfort when I use the paddles. I put a little extra padding on the paddles to make it easier to hit at the very bottom of the cover.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It definitely depends on the person. Holding the controller w/ my index fingers on the bumpers leads to strain and discomfort when I use the paddles. I put a little extra padding on the paddles to make it easier to hit at the very bottom of the cover.
I'm curious, would you say you have long fingers or short fingers?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I dont like is how hard it is to press the bumpers, they feel very stiff and it really hurts in sekiro. anyone have the attacks mapped on different buttons?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has been able to get Steam Input working with Syndicate (2012) recently?
The last time I tried playing the game was near the Steam Controller's launch, and it worked fine then.

Now, the only way I can get the overlay to work with the game is to use OSOL (which works great!) but the controller is not working even though the overlay is.
The ironic thing is that the game is actually locked into displaying controller prompts if I launch it via Origin directly without the Steam Overlay and have all of my controllers switched off, but it does not detect a controller and only displays keyboard prompts if I have a controller switched on and enabled via Steam Input. (I think it's detecting the DS4 wireless adapter as a "controller" even if the controller itself is switched off)

I'm not actually that interested in playing the game with a controller, but I've been seeing some severe stuttering in the game when looking around with a mouse, and wondered if it was a bug related to mouse input, since the last time I played through the game was using a controller and that was smooth.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Slight bump, but with the availability of Xbox Game Pass, lots of folks will start to realise the many issues there are with UWP games that are still predominant - including inability to use any controller other the Xbox.

Thankfully GLoSC is the solution we need! https://alia5.github.io/GloSC/
Importantly it helps any Steam Input controller (DS4, Switch, Steam Controller), function as expected with non-Steam and UWP games - with Steam Overlay and even the ability to auto-add the games to your Steam Library, and access the usual Steam features / community controller bindings.

Is there a way to browse configurations via a web browser?

Not yet at the moment. A few sites tried to do it for a while but mostly seem offline. Only options seem to be do this via Steam.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
GloSC is amazing. I use it all the time to play Destiny 2 currently until it comes to steam. Also had been using it since trying game pass. UWP is a bitch really

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Looks like I was able to do it by searching the recent saved vdf's in the Steam\userdata\78102902 folder. They show up blank but all I have to do if fill them in now. Hope it works in game. (finger's crossed)

Edit 2: Doesn't work in game. It seems the developers of the games put custom files in the steam version so those custom buttons work and context action sets change automatically.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a way to add official steam controller developer made configs to a non steam version of the same game? For example this is some of Warframe's Steam Input settings. Could I download the standalone client and use these somehow?
sgMCut7.jpg

y08CCig.jpg

There has to be a way right? When playing a non steam version of a game and making sure the names, the same the developer settings don't show up under Browse Configs > Recommended. Also when clicking a steam controller profile that use the developer made config everything shows up with the dev config, but when I select apply it goes back to my old non dev modified settings. Googling this situation is a bit tough, just wanted to see if anyone here tried or know if it's possible as I continue. Having For Honor's context sensitive block mode to activate gyro blocking and maybe even a non stutter kb/mouse + controller merge of buttons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
- Control -
Has no simultaneous Mouse + Gamepad control, and the normal gamepad right stick controls are so awful that mouse-like joystick will not function well enough

Thankfully, direct mapping of M&KB works perfectly and you are not missing out on anything with regards to analogue movement.
Overlay works without issue and EGS apparently doesn't need to be open to launch the game, so easy to add to Steam.
My controller layout is the same as Gamepad - but with added gyro support, little tune up to the right pad, jump and dodge on grips for combat banter

steam://controllerconfig/control/1847971385

W6mVrAE.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thanks for the info. I wish all games were able to do mouse/kb + controller input at the same time like some other games can without any hitch or stutter. It really complicates things when you want to simplify controls with console controller context buttons vs mouse/kb specialized buttons.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
- Control -
Has no simultaneous Mouse + Gamepad control, and the normal gamepad right stick controls are so awful that mouse-like joystick will not function well enough

Thankfully, direct mapping of M&KB works perfectly and you are not missing out on anything with regards to analogue movement.
Overlay works without issue and EGS apparently doesn't need to be open to launch the game, so easy to add to Steam.
My controller layout is the same as Gamepad - but with added gyro support, little tune up to the right pad, jump and dodge on grips for combat banter

steam://controllerconfig/control/1847971385

Thanks for this, it feels great. I just made one change and put enter and esc on A and B to make controlling the menu easier.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
got two steam controllers and one controller the right bumper crapped out on me and the second controller the left bumper crapped out on me, i mean whats the chances.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
got two steam controllers and one controller the right bumper crapped out on me and the second controller the left bumper crapped out on me, i mean whats the chances.
Mine broke too, found the fix here

The thin plastic thing is just easy to snap even with normal use. When I did the metal replacement thing they also feel nicer. Less of a loud click and easier to press.

Also something like this might prevent them from breaking since it gives it less of a travel distance to activate the button. I only replaced the one bumper that broke, but I don't feel like trying to do this to the other button since it's not so easy for me to close it back up with the metal replacement at just the right angle for great clicks (I added some tape to the metal replacement to give it some thickness).

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order

Supports simultaneous Mouse+Gamepad, so Steam Controller feels ace if you bump up mouse sensitivity.

Tooltips will switch to Keyboard if you use mouse, but a quick nudge of the analogue stick will change the tips back to gamepad

Had some issues getting the controller to register when using Steam from the desktop, but it works great from BPM

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order

Supports simultaneous Mouse+Gamepad, so Steam Controller feels ace if you bump up mouse sensitivity.

Tooltips will switch to Keyboard if you use mouse, but a quick nudge of the analogue stick will change the tips back to gamepad

Had some issues getting the controller to register when using Steam from the desktop, but it works great from BPM
Yes it feels fantastic just like Titanfall 2 did. I just wish they did provide an option to lock prompts to controller prompts like Prey does.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it feels fantastic just like Titanfall 2 did. I just wish they did provide an option to lock prompts to controller prompts like Prey does.

Yeah same, that's the only downside alongside actual SCAPI support for flexibility.
Been a while since I've played this kind of action adventure game, and its the first time I'm playing one at 80-110hz. Really exceptional!