• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Steam hardware survey is useless to see numbers. It's an opt in survey that no one opts in to do anymore :) Everyone opts out of sending info to companies these days. Haven't done one in years and years at this point.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
My favourite "enthusiast bubble" trope has to be when the 1080Ti gang goes on about how "insane" and "unbelievably impressive" it is that their $700 2017 GPU (which was literally the strongest consumer-level card available at the time) is still able to play games reasonably well. I agree that the 1080Ti was able to justify its price, but the discourse around it sounds so funny to me when most people are chugging along on xx50 and xx60 hardware.

Like if the general expectation is for a $700 halo product's performance to collapse after a few years then the mainstream audience must be living in hell. Not hating on the high-end market by any means, I just don't think its quite as impressive as people make it out to be.

Oct 26, 2017
If I weren't building a completely new rig with my wife I probably wouldn't consider a 3080. For anyone rocking a decent card they're still set for a while.
If we weren't pooling budget we wouldn't consider such an expensive card. My old 380 served me well for more than 4 years.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite "enthusiast bubble" trope has to be when the 1080Ti gang goes on about how "insane" and "unbelievably impressive" it is that their $700 2017 GPU (which was literally the strongest consumer-level card available at the time) is still able to play games reasonably well. I agree that the 1080Ti was able to justify its price, but the discourse around it sounds so funny to me when most people are chugging along on xx50 and xx60 hardware.

Like if the general expectation is for a $700 halo product's performance to collapse after a few years then the mainstream audience must be living in hell. Not hating on the high-end market by any means, I just don't think its quite as impressive as people make it out to be.

They serve difference audiences.

Most people chugging on xx50 and xx60 games are probably playing games that aren't stressing the cards to well or just staying at 1080p. They clearly are majority but nvidia is able to enjoy it's high end markets as they keep sustaining themselves.

I use to think the 700$ was a lot till I realized all the money I blew on arcades in about 8 years won't be reached till I live to be 70 and I keep spending on hardware the way I do.

I don't feel certain cards are too impressive either, still preordered a 3080.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Considering many still game at 1080p I don't think they needed the 2000 series cards. And RTX was only really available for very few games, and DLSS is only just becoming useful, and still very few games support it. Once games start coming out that a Gtx 970 can no longer play at medium or low, is when you can expect most people to update to a similar priced card. It won't be the 3070 or 3080, but a more mainstream card that can play most games for a reasonable price.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
It has always been a myth that every PC gamer drops thousands every one or two years so they can have the latest and greatest.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Steam hardware survey is useless to see numbers. It's an opt in survey that no one opts in to do anymore :) Everyone opts out of sending info to companies these days. Haven't done one in years and years at this point.

Unless having certain hardware is disproportionately associated with a higher or lower likelihood of opting in/out, I would think it still is a useful representation of the range of hardware and their distribution among Steam users. They probably still gets thousands of opt-ins.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It has always been a myth that every PC gamer drops thousands every one or two years so they can have the latest and greatest.

Yep its crazy to drop that much money for something like that.

I spent $800 for my current PC (which I got last year), I'm expecting this to last me a couple of years.

My last gaming PC was around $700 worth with all the upgrades I did and it lasted me for 10 years (2010-2020).

Oct 25, 2017
1060 card was great until I got a 144hz/1440p screen, so I got a 2060 Super and it's what I'll continue to use for a while.

It totally makes sense that the 1060 is this popular when people are still using 1080p monitors.

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Bought a 1060 when they first released and I've been happy with it. Was able to play any of the games I was interested in this gen on it at a quality I was happy with. Hoping they announce a 3060 in the next two years or so.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Recently built a rig with a 2070 super, but my GTX980 machine is upstairs now and still runs almost everything on high settings, 60+ fps at 1080p.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
When i was researching for my new computer months ago, you swear everyone was rocking threadrippers with dual 2080tis. Sometimes you need to get out of the enthusiast realm to see the real lay of the land

Very true, enthusiast forums probably not the best place to ask for mid range stuff :P

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Wait I have a 2080, are you telling me I'm part of the 1%?
This is the closest I'll ever be to the High Class, I feel so fancy already...

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
rtx cards were very expensive and the gains were not impressive with Maxwell and Pascal being very popular, so no surprise at all

the more surprising thing is AMD not doing a little better, the 580 and also 570 or 480 are very competent alternatives to the 1060 and cheaper.

gaming with cheaper hardware is the majority of PC gaming, it has always been,
on steam not everyone is also playing the latest games, plenty of people just use it to play the same games they have been playing for many years, retro gaming is also a thing and doesn't require any expensive hardware.

the 1060 was also around the last time we had a very strong launch at the $200 range, with AMD Polaris focused completely on that and quickly followed by the 1060, which is also the price range of many other memorable and popular cards like 8800GT, GTX 460 and so on.

like a week or 2 ago I had steam ask me if i wanted to be in the survey and I clicked yes, I assume a significant enough number of people do the same, just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't, or that it's not a good enough representation of the steam userbase, steam is investing it it for a very long time for a reason.

Last edited:

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
GPU prices were, and still are ridiculous.
Yeah I was surprised to see people reacting positively to the new GPU prices lol.

It's made worse by how most new GPUs and CPUs dont work with older motherboards and you'll need a very fast SSD for next gen...it's an extremely expensive time for PC upgrades.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Unless having certain hardware is disproportionately associated with a higher or lower likelihood of opting in/out, I would think it still is a useful representation of the range of hardware and their distribution among Steam users. They probably still gets thousands of opt-ins.
I would definitely think having certain hardware and PC experience effects the outcome of opting in/out. Someone building a custom high end PC is probably opting in far less than a new PC/Steam user since they would probably be much more versed in PC security and worry more about sending info to a big company. For example I have a friend who's getting his kid into PC gaming. Neither of which have gamed on PC before. My friend is far more likely to opt into the survey with his weak laptop than I or any of my experienced PC gaming friends ever would be with our custom made systems.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering the 1080Ti and 1080 owners combined make up more than 3% of the market, and they finally have a valid upgrade, I can see the RTX 3080 do very well.

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to me that 1080p is still the norm.
I think at 1080p we are at the point where most games look good enough for the majority of people. Consoles targeting 4K will just make 1080p level PCs look more affordable, and I noticed that Sony seems to be more interested in promoting better audio and fast loading times than visuals.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
With new competition in the pc market with Ampere and RDNA2 plus the rising tide of next gen hardware hopefully both resolution and minimum hardware requirements make large leaps over the next couple of years.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I think at 1080p we are at the point where most games look good enough for the majority of people. Consoles targeting 4K will just make 1080p level PCs look more affordable, and I noticed that Sony seems to be more interested in promoting better audio and fast loading times than visuals.

PC monitors also still tend to be on average much smaller than TVs, so having tons of pixels is also a little less appealing

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the 1080Ti and 1080 owners combined make up more than 3% of the market, and they finally have a valid upgrade, I can see the RTX 3080 do very well.

The 30 series in general is likely to do a lot better than the 20 series. Too much projecting of 30 series performance in this thread based upon 20 series. When 20 series in general was just a bad value. 10 series likely to be the GOAT (aka the PS2 of video cards), but 30 series could be the PS4 of video cards once the full stack is released.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Not surprising, my 1060 cost $279, 2060 MSRP $400, Nvidia prices for 20xx series was BS, if they reveal it was the lowest selling generation i wouldn't be shock...

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say sit firmly. They're at the very bottom of the top 10 list. And then there's a huge gap before the big baller cards make an appearance. Not really surprising, though. The 60/70 cards have always been the high end sweet spot for most PC gamers. You wouldn't get that impression over here, but even among the hardcore, it's where most of us top out and refuse to go higher.

Yup. Even as I've gotten older and can now comfortably afford a very expensive video card, I just don't care about most of the shit they are needed for. I don't have a massive 4k monitor, I don't care about running games at their absolute maximum settings, and I'm not doing intensive workstation stuff on them. In 2006, when I was playing Oblivion on a Radeon X1900XT, it felt like it was struggling to maintain an acceptable framerate no matter what. I don't have that experience with the mid-high range of video cards nowadays. $300-400 will get you pretty good performance in just about everything these days.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
PC elitism is just the weirdest thing ever. PCs is about scalable hardware, options and budgets.

The survey makes sense, for most people 1080p is more than enough, and that does not require people to buy a 2080. Also GPUs are way too expensive, Nvidia was crazy with their 2080 cards.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Yeah, the 2000 series were really up against it, horrifically expensive and pushing new and little used tech. DLSS 1.0 was a bit of a joke, and RTX was used in a handful of games. Those are much more proven now, and DLSS 2.0 is freaking black magic.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
It's really hard to justify an upgrade when we only got a few games using RT and DLSS. 4k gaming it's also expensive cause it means buying a more expensive monitor or TV. Not everyone can pay 800+ for a GPU + a 300-400 dollar monitor.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do these polls take into account every PC Steam is installed on? Because, for example, I have 4 PC's with Steam installed on them with 3 of them having low end cards (1060, 1650 Super, 1080) that I only use to stream games from my main PC. So that could inflate the numbers for low end cards.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Do these polls take into account every PC Steam is installed on? Because, for example, I have 4 PC's with Steam installed on them with 3 of them having low end cards (1060, 1650 Super, 1080) that I only use to stream games from my main PC. So that could inflate the numbers for low end cards.
No you opt in to this survey.
Its a sample rate form thousands of users but steam has 130 mil+ users so its a sample rate.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see 4K60 and high fps gaming is now achievable at a much lower cost. I tried to make it possible a few years ago by having 1080s in SLI (which was a bit of a pain), and was lucky enough to dump those for a decent amount and nabbed a 2080ti.

I don't see myself replacing this card until I get a TV (living room gamer) with HDMI 2.1, and by then I'd be replacing my rig pretty much entirely. Also, it covers everything I already do, and DLSS is sure to help it stay relevant for a good while longer.

The 30xx seem like fantastic cards, and the price impression is heavily helped by nvidia conditioning the market to insanse prices for the past generation or three. If I were interested in jumping in, though, I would wait until the waters have settled with supply issues and AMD's offerings.

Kudos to anyone who does grab one of these.

Re: Steam.. I should probably opt in to their survey...

JMZ

Apr 15, 2019
1080TI user here, 2700X, 16gb Ram, 500gb SSD. I use a 1080p monitor@120hz but it has no Display port so when i upgrade GPU i will have to get new monitor as well. My current plan is to do full upgrade once i jump back into VR, which will be when a wireless model thats high quality comes out. So prob be 4000 series by then.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I would definitely think having certain hardware and PC experience effects the outcome of opting in/out. Someone building a custom high end PC is probably opting in far less than a new PC/Steam user since they would probably be much more versed in PC security and worry more about sending info to a big company. For example I have a friend who's getting his kid into PC gaming. Neither of which have gamed on PC before. My friend is far more likely to opt into the survey with his weak laptop than I or any of my experienced PC gaming friends ever would be with our custom made systems.
lmao, this post is the entire circus

A big problem with the survey is that it doesn't detect all the monitors/tvs you have hooked up. No doubt a lot of those 1080p monitors are backed up by 4k tvs that aren't getting detected.
oh yes absolutely, I'm sure that the majority are running multiple 4k tvs and monitors alongside their double 2080ti setups
fuckin lmao
this forum sometimes dude

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 2070........but honestly, it felt like I really didn't need it at all vs my 1070. The 1070 was just too good.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
lmao, this post is the entire circus

oh yes absolutely, I'm sure that the majority are running multiple 4k tvs and monitors alongside their double 2080ti setups
fuckin lmao
this forum sometimes dude
You don't know much about PC gaming these days if you don't think a lot of people hookup there PCs to 4k tvs over 4k monitors while keeping a lower resolution monitor as the desktop screen.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
You don't know much about PC gaming these days if you don't think a lot of people hookup there PCs to 4k tvs over 4k monitors while keeping a lower resolution monitor as the desktop screen.
That is what I do.
But that does not mean we are in the single % folks.
More more people are hooking up their pc's to their TV but not at a high rate.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
PC elitism is just the weirdest thing ever. PCs is about scalable hardware, options and budgets.

The survey makes sense, for most people 1080p is more than enough, and that does not require people to buy a 2080. Also GPUs are way too expensive, Nvidia was crazy with their 2080 cards.

It's not PC elitism. Anyone that's been into PC for the last couple decades knew this without looking at the Steam survey. The only thing really surprising about this survey is just how much of a nonfactor AMD is at this point.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not surprised 1060 is still on top. Its what I used for a while and it was a great card. I only upgraded to my 2070 super because I bought a 144hz monitor, and some games couldn't keep a high frame rate. That and I got a good deal selling my 1060.

I'll probably keep my 2070 super for a long time since I have no desire to go beyond 1080p.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
oh yeah tell me all about those reddit posts you saw on PCMasterRace of people doing that, I'm sure they really represent the market
I'm sure everyone here in Brazil (which the majority play on PC) are running their 4k tv setups with their 7 thousand reais cards

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
oh yeah tell me all about those reddit posts you saw on PCMasterRace of people doing that, I'm sure they really represent the market
I'm sure everyone here in Brazil (which the majority play on PC) are running their 4k tv setups with their 7 thousand reais cards
Yeah you obviously know nothing about PC gaming. Pretty easy to see that now.