• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Starfield?

• It looked Great

Votes: 1,128 22.9%
  • It looked Good

Votes: 1,108 22.5%
  • It looked Ok

Votes: 1,488 30.2%
  • It looked Bad

Votes: 613 12.4%
  • No Man's Skyrim

Votes: 595 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wish they had shown footage of a ship just casually drifting around in space, zeroing in on a planet, enetering the atmosphere and landing on its surface. I hope they are able to make this all seamless and load-screen-less

Considering they didn't show this during gameplay reveal, which is prime time to show off such features like NMS did back in the day, I seriously doubt we can seamlessly fly to and from planets. It's still Creation Engine and it has always heavily relied on zone instancing. There is hoping it's one of the things they want to get to working with extra time from small delay, but then they already will have their hands full with performance overall.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I had no idea this was a fps. My least favorite genre. Makes me sad, I really thought this was mainly a space type of game that mainly took place on ships, Ill watch the video in a bit, but that stood out.

Actually even as I am typing now the video is on a section with space fights. So maybe/hopefully the fps stuff will be a minor aspect.

Every BGS game has been First Person, so I'm not sure why you expected different?

Am I one of the only ones that is stoked for the potential of empty planets? I hate trend of space games putting everything on every planet. Give me barren wastelands dammit.

Absolutely not. I want 900 of those 1,000 planets to be barren rocks with no redeemable features or points of interest beyond maybe looking vaguely cool.

One of the worst things about NMS was basically every planet having critters and plants and a trading post. If everywhere is special, nowhere is.

I'm guessing that if you download it on PC via Gamepass you won't be able to mod it? To mod it would I have to buy it off Steam once mods start being made available?
Pretty sure Microsoft have been working hard to overhaul this issue with Game Pass on PC and allow for full file modification. Not sure if the fix is live yet or still in beta, but I get the feeling Starfield was a big motivator for the update =P I'm sure it will be solved by the time the game releases, if it's not already.
I think they've started to open up modding, but that it's still in some kind of open beta state

Game Pass / Microsoft Store games have been fully moddable for a year or more, including all the existing Bethesda games on Game Pass:

www.theverge.com

Microsoft’s Windows store is finally becoming more Steam-like for games

No more annoying folder restrictions.

You just click a little "Enable Mods" button and you have full access, just like with a Steam release.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
While i feel its ofcourse bethesda so they will get it right eventually but on the other hand the expectations are pretty high nowadays thus the reveal didnt really had that WOW moment. Compared to RDR2 or Horizon or new release, it lacked big time.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm hoping "Survival Mode" is there from the start.

Imagine having to set up Outposts to get across the Galaxy so you don't run out of Food, Fuel etc.? Would be neat!

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Absolutely not. I want 900 of those 1,000 planets to be barren rocks with no redeemable features or points of interest beyond maybe looking vaguely cool.

One of the worst things about NMS was basically every planet having critters and plants and a trading post. If everywhere is special, nowhere is.

Now there's someone who gets it... I want ME1 style planets, bigger scale, better exploration and I'm gonna mod the ME1 Mako in, you mark my words :)

Oct 31, 2017
Yuup.

Feels like in spite of record sales and generally positive reception over the decades, BGS has a double hill to climb on Era.

There was always that vocal minority here that felt the need to dump on them at every turn, much like a jilted lover. But then when you throw exclusivity into the mix, well. We know how that "I never liked you anyway" song & dance goes.
Eh, I've always been part of that "vocal minority" that didn't really like their past output and this is their first game where I'm getting tentatively hyped.

For the concept they are selling, the visual style, the sheer size and scope, etc.
Of course, they still have plenty of room to disappoint me in the long run, but count me reasonably well impressed about most of what we've seen so far.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Is direct 4K source video out? I want to download and look at these mind-blowing graphics on my TV.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I wish they had shown footage of a ship just casually drifting around in space, zeroing in on a planet, enetering the atmosphere and landing on its surface. I hope they are able to make this all seamless and load-screen-less
This. Would have had more impact rather than explaining everything which killed the flow.

Hopefully a video out soon on that.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering they didn't show this during gameplay reveal, which is prime time to show off such features like NMS did back in the day, I seriously doubt we can seamlessly fly to and from planets. It's still Creation Engine and it has always heavily relied on zone instancing. There is hoping it's one of the things they want to get to working with extra time from small delay, but then they already will have their hands full with performance overall.
If the game doesn't feature that by launch I'm 100% sure planetary landing/take-off will be priority #1 of moders.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
mind blowing graphics?
Yes.

36ad8829-b716-4238-ae73-aad92d35c074-1000-planets-starfield.jpg

starfield-gameplay-trailer.jpg

STARFIELD-9.jpg

d17ba-16551091414487-1920.jpg

gameplay-taken-starfield-trailer-during-bethesda-showcase.png

3298888227.jpg

STARFIELD-8.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Ahhh looks great! :D.

A bit unfortunate that it got delayed, because I want to get my hands on it sooner haha, but it's understandable. Although I am crossing my fingers for the launch still 🤣 . I think the initial months will still be somewhat turbulent heh.

I feel like people are conflating art direction and visual fidelity. Art direction will be highly subjective, but material and texture detail in Starfield is pretty great, especially for the kind of game it is.

Yeah, moreover that conversation is hyper-focused on the technical side at some times, whereas in general, I think most people would just cater to the whole visual presentation and whether it just has that: "Looks good" vibe.

Tale as old as time :p.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I feel like people are conflating art direction and visual fidelity. Art direction will be highly subjective, but material and texture detail in Starfield is pretty great, especially for the kind of game it is.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Can you show another RPG game on this scale and in this detail? I want to see your scale as someone who considers my comments as sarcasm.

Don't get me wrong. Those pictures are looking good. But what I saw (yes, yes, compressed I know) didnt wowed me. I've witnessed 30 years of fabricated bullshots and promises in gameannouncements. Maybe am just to grumpy. when I see this game I think about Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Years old.

I would say the art style is awesome but the visual fidelity is nothing I get exited about. I want to see more gameplay material and espaccialy from a independent source.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Don't get me wrong. Those pictures are looking good. But what I saw (yes, yes, compressed I know) didnt wowed me. I've witnessed 30 years of fabricated bullshots and promises in gameannouncements. Maybe am just to grumpy. when I see this game I think about Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Years old.
Star Citizen looks insane, does it not? The difference is Starfield will most likely come out in the next 12 months, Star Citizen probably won't come out in the next 12 years.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Star Citizen looks insane, does it not? The difference is Starfield will most likely come out in the next 12 months, Star Citizen probably won't come out in the next 12 years.
Well Star citizen is still playable. (Not that im a fan of the game or the Alpha, beta politic in general). Starfield is a Bethesda game. Soo 12 months till release but how long till playable?

I loved most of the Bethesda games (expect F76) and hope that this game will deliver. Im sceptical about the used engine, but maybe im just too sceptical.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Can't wait for this. Glad it got delayed so they can polish it some more. But I loved exploring planets in Mass Effect 1, even the empty ones. I wonder if we'll get planets with weird stuff, like the planet with waves in Interstellar.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Well Star citizen is still playable. (Not that im a fan of the game or the Alpha, beta politic in general). Starfield is a Bethesda game. Soo 12 months till release but how long till playable?
Seems a bit hyperbolic, but if that's the premise you want to go off, then I have nothing else to say that would change your mind.

Oct 26, 2017
Load screens aren't exactly a big deal anymore, but the demo implied they will use cinematic transition scenes to move between the different states.
I doubt zooming around the planet will be a thing, it's an extra level of tech that this type of game doesn't really need, but a buggy to drive around in would be nice.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
One planet that is an entire city please. But I only get to explore an alley.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It really looks amazing. Especially with all those mechanics and the scale that will be included. Comparing this with your typical assassins creed open world games is like comparing a piece of paper with a book.

weird dig. AC games have a lot of issues, but the graphics and world building is not one of them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So, just to make sure I'm following this correctly, you think Starfield isn't visually impressive, and it mostly just reminds you of the visual standards of Star Citizen, one of the most bleeding edge and technically impressive games currently in development?

Are you a time traveller from the future? Which open world RPG does impress you visually at the moment?

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So, just to make sure I'm following this correctly, you think Starfield isn't visually impressive, and it mostly just reminds you of the visual standards of Star Citizen, one of the most bleeding edge and technically impressive games currently in development?

Are you a time traveller from the future? Which open world RPG does impress you visually at the moment?

I think that the showed media is nothing I got hyped about. and when asked about what similar game I was asked about I do think that is similar. Star citizen is the game that comes to mind. I was not saying that I see them in the same league. Just a similar style. This game still looks like it uses the Creation engine. This maybe left a bad taste for me.
No open world game impresses me visually at the moment. When I see Unreal Engine 5 games there is something special.

What the problem with this place that everything is just hype or hate?
For god sake is it so hard to accept that someone can have different opinion?

I do think the graphics in this game are among the best i've ever seen, especially considering the scope.

And I'm truly happy for you. Nor do I want to tell you that you are wrong.

i want to see the scope in action before I consider this as a factor.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The take off montage (same angle, different angles) is really not a good sign of that happening.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
What impressed me is that i think this is a quantum leap for Bethesda in terms of visuals. When Fallout 4 was announced, i was pretty underwhelmed by it's graphics, but Starfield is looking so good in visual fidelity, atmosphere, lightining that it took me by suprise. My only concern now is how is it going to perform.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
and now just imagine being able to pick up every item in the world in typical bethesda fashion.. oof how i missed that in 76. It just wasnt the same. :'c

Only thing that bothers me is that it looks as though we have to wear a helmet most of the time. I like to see my character ffs.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of dismissing of this game visually while having jack shit brought up as being better as a point of comparison.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
and now just imagine being able to pick up every item in the world in typical bethesda fashion.. oof how i missed that in 76. It just wasnt the same. :'c

Only thing that bothers me is that it looks as though we have to wear a helmet most of the time. I like to see my character ffs.
I think it depends on the planet as not every planet will have suitable oxygen.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The 4K footage looks so good compared to the compressed nonsense we got.

I fully expect people to complain and doom about this game only for it to release and be a huge hit. Just feels like one of those games.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
What the problem with this place that everything is just hype or hate?
For god sake is it so hard to accept that someone can have different opinion?

I think the issue is, your opinion is based on compressed footage, which you were open about. You also intimated that someone with a different opinion than yours must have been being sarcastic. Like others have said, for the scale and scope of this game, I think the graphics are great.

The performance of the footage we've seen is a concern, but I'm not sure what people were expecting from the graphics.