• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starfield Expectations

• Certified Hype. No Need To See Gameplay

Votes: 151 28.7%
  • Gameplay First. Hype Based On What Is actually Shown

Votes: 376 71.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
User warned: Creating a platform wars thread. Threadmaking privileges revoked
Today, I read a conversation where Starfield was being mentioned as GOTY. So I went to the Xbox OT to see if I'd missed some gameplay leak or gameplay trailer, and still there was nothing new. When others have asked about the hype, considering that we've never seen a single second of actual gameplay, the response is that Sony tried to buy exclusivity...

As a gamer, I don't put stock into an IP I've never seen running on console. Let alone never seen running whatsoever / anywhere. And it occurred to me that as gamers, we're perhaps setting expectations up beyond reason for this IP. To the point where this IP is held in such high regard that anything short of a game that is visually impeccable and gameplay which breaks new ground will be seen as lesser. Not because the studio didn't craft an incredible game and experience but because we elevated the IP beyond what's obtainable on current platforms.

I get that my personal stance on gaming due diligence (gameplay) may differ from others. So I created a poll to see where the wider community stands.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't have any expectations for this game, so I cannot be disappointed.

TES 6 will be the test to see where I stand with Bethesda these days.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
They have my money, personally. I think the game will be critically acclaimed but its position amongst longtime fans may be polarizing. Kind of like Fallout 4 before it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I expect it to be a video game ass video game. I have faith but not really a "hype" per se.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Even tho it's a new IP, it's still a Bethesda game. Do you really think they'll change that much from what we've seen in the past with Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc? I already know what I'll play in Starfield.

Jul 7, 2021
It was bound to happen. This is a company that came up with one of the best-selling games ever, and it's billed as that game in space.

To be fair to them, unless they seriously screw up (and that is a possibility) it's probably going to be a great game.

Personally I can't help it either, so I'm hyped, but whether that hype survives actual gameplay, I'll just have to wait and see.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
People are hyped for an IP we know literally nothing about.

It's OK to be excited for possibility, but you'd think we already knew loads about it.

krakenking189

Feb 21, 2021
I mean it's warranted it has hype, it's the next Bethesda singleplayer RPG. People are gonna be hyped regardless.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a Bethesda Game Studios game. Personally I'm very hyped because I love their games, but I'm sure it will have their usual warts and the group of gamers who leap into every thread to complain about them aren't going to be appeased. I also think they've kind of reached a point where their buggy launches aren't going to be as easily forgiven and unless they really move their formula forward they're probably looking at a metascore in the low 80's.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's the first original IP in years from the developers of two of the biggest series ever. Todd Howard has been hyping it up as a dream project.

Hype is well warranted, we'll see if they can deliver.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
People are hyped for an IP we know literally nothing about.

It's OK to be excited for possibility, but you'd think we already knew loads about it.
People are hyped for it for the same reason they were hyped for Elden Ring when it was literally just a name. A developer with historical significance will always have that lasting power.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think most people expect Elder Scrolls/Fallout in space with a certain visual flair, and it will deliver on that very likely.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I think it will be great Game overall. However 100% waiting on gameplay.

But some aspects will probably look dated. I doubt per example that talking to NPCs will be as great as in HFW (VA, animations, even in unimportant scenes/dicussions are amazing. I've never seen such thing before in a OW game).

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
A big developer that makes unique games + a setting everyone one wants is a magnet for hype. Same thing happened to Elden ring which was hyped like crazy even before people saw gameplay, its kind of normal (even if it shouldnt be) for fans of a big studio to get hyped about new games based purely off previous work.

Obviously though people should definitely be wary of hyping things up to the point of calling it GOTY before they've seen them, but on the opposite end the RPGs BGS make are huge and one of a kind with amazing exploration and environmental design so its kind of the case that if youre a fan you know youre going to enjoy it regardless of how it turns out.

OP
OP
GlamPrime

GlamPrime

Banned
Nov 1, 2021
I mean it's warranted it has hype, it's the next Bethesda singleplayer RPG. People are gonna be hyped regardless.

Hype is fine. It's what we do as a community but some are pushing this IP into the realm of mysticism with their weight of expectation.

I expect it to be a good game also.

A big developer that makes unique games + a setting everyone one wants is a magnet for hype. Same thing happened to Elden ring which was hyped like crazy even before people saw gameplay, its kind of normal (even if it shouldnt be) for fans of a big studio to get hyped about new games based purely off previous work.

Elden Ring showed gameplay early. It's a day 1 buy for me. I'm talking about the somewhat unique position Starfield is in without a single second of gameplay showcased.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a new Bethesda RPG, which gives it a lot of momentum based on pedigree alone. Whether you think Bethesda still "deserves" that level of attention after the past decade or so, I don't know, but I think it's fair to anticipate something based on creatives alone. Like, I already know what movies coming out this year are going to be worth paying attention to, even if we don't have anything more than a director, a couple lead actors, and a title. Pedigree means something.

That being said, I feel like more Starfield "hype" I see tends to be cautious curiosity more than anything else. Again, Bethesda's star has fallen a bit. But maybe I run in negative circles.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think I've ever been hyped for a Bethesda game before it launched, and seeing as how I haven't seen anything for this I'm not really sure how it could be different right now

Aug 23, 2018
Todd Howard literally said it's Skyrim in space. If Skyrim or Space RPGs (or BOTH) are in your wheelhouse, the hype is very warranted.

Valet Jay

Mar 20, 2018
Even Fallout 4, which was the Todd's latest "miss" as a game director is still a good game. I don't understand how we ostracize developers so quickly.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Bethesda / Todd Howard open world + freedom of a new IP + space / sci-fi setting. I don't really need much more than that to be hyped.

I am a big fan of Bethesda's / Todd Howard's games, and I think from their prior games we have an idea of what the game will be like. I think that proven design and putting it into a brand new IP where they're not beholden to any prior rules bound by existing IP is very exciting. On top of that sci-fi is among my favorite settings.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Not high enough, it's going to be segment defining. Hopeful I can get a decent laptop to play it in the next few years.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring showed gameplay early. It's a day 1 buy for me. I'm talking about the somewhat unique position Starfield is in without a single second of gameplay showcased.
People were super hyped about Elden Ring before they ever saw a second of footage.

Also, the footage of Starfield was saw last summer was listed as "alpha gameplay" so yes we've seen more than a second of it.

Dec 11, 2017
We're at the point where we haven't seen a second of gameplay so people's imaginations run wild and it becomes whatever their ideal dream game is in their heads. The possibilities are still endless because there is nothing to ground the expectations yet. The moment we get Todd Howard playing the game for the first time at some showcase a lot of people will be disappointed regardless of what is shown because it will narrow the possibilities of what the game can be. But at least that should recalibrate expectations somewhat.

I have my expectations set around "Fallout in space" right now.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Biggest joke is when people act like we have no idea what the gameplay will be like. "HOW DO YOU KNOW IT'S FIRST PERSON????", "HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T LINEAR????".

Todd Howard himself basically came out and said "come on guys, if you've played our games then you know what Starfield is."

Turns out a lot of people like games in the Bethesda genre.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I have zero hype for any game. Got burned out too many times. I think it's best (at least for me) to have zero expectations and see if the game is good after release. Ironically, I've pre-orderer Elden Ring lol (it's really rare for me to pre-order anything).

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Today, I read a conversation where Starfield was being mentioned as GOTY. So I went to the Xbox OT to see if I'd missed some gameplay leak or gameplay trailer, and still there was nothing new. When others have asked about the hype, considering that we've never seen a single second of actual gameplay, the response is that Sony tried to buy exclusivity...

As a gamer, I don't put stock into an IP I've never seen running on console. Let alone never seen running whatsoever / anywhere. And it occurred to me that as gamers, we're perhaps setting expectations up beyond reason for this IP. To the point where this IP is held in such high regard that anything short of a game that is visually impeccable and gameplay which breaks new ground will be seen as lesser. Not because the studio didn't craft an incredible game and experience but because we elevated the IP beyond what's obtainable on current platforms.

I get that my personal stance on gaming due diligence (gameplay) may differ from others. So I created a poll to see where the wider community stands.
Huh? Don't understand the bolded part.

Also, nothing wrong with hyping a game based on the developers pedigree.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Man the disrespect Bethesda has been getting is crazy. Y'all better start putting respect on Todd's name

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I think it will be great. However, I have this deepening worry that it will end up being more of an action game with most of the RPG elements filed off to the extent that it won't really be an RPG. But that's how everything has been trending the last couple of decades. I'm just a dinosaur at this point.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Hype is fine. It's what we do as a community but some are pushing this IP into the realm of mysticism with their weight of expectation.

I expect it to be a good game also.

Damn could have sworn the only trailer was a CGI announcement for a while, my bad. The rest of my post still stands.

This is a BGS RPG, but in space. No one makes open world RPGs like BGS, and we havent had a big space rpg since MEA, we havent had a good space RPG since ME3 10 years ago.

Its the combination of a one of a kind style of RPG combined with a genre we very rarely see compared to others. Plus the art direction and graphics seen in the in game trailer from last year looks amazing so people are excited to see the world and gameplay.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I have zero hype. We have seen nothing from this game so far and Skyrim in space does not interest me at all.

Also, prediction time!
1: It will be delayed to 2023.
2: It will be riddled with bugs at launch and people will be up in arms about it although this was the safest prediction of the decade.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the hype but I need more. I really hope this is a return to form for Bethesda. Also, please release a polished game.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I'm expecting Fallout 4 in space and we haven't seen anything to make me change my mind.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I think it will be great. However, I have this deepening worry that it will end up being more of an action game with most of the RPG elements filed off to the extent that it won't really be an RPG. But that's how everything has been trending the last couple of decades. I'm just a dinosaur at this point.

Well, Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time so they are probably quite hesitant to change the formula too much. I would not be worried about this if I were you.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It isn't exactly surprising that it has hype. It's the next big game, the first in a long time, from a very popular and well-regarded developer.

Like, if Naughty Dog or Rockstar announced a new IP, people would be hyping it up the same way. Either of those seems like it would be a surefire GOTY candidate in whatever year it released in.

Obviously Starfield isn't guaranteed to be good or a GOTY candidate. Cyberpunk was a "new" sci-fi IP from a popular and well-regarded WRPG developer, and, well, we know how that turned out. But those sorts of disasters aren't super common. Naughty Dog's next game will probably be good if you like Naughty Dog games, Rockstar's next game will probably be good if you like Rockstar's games, and Starfield will probably be good if you like BGS games. And millions of people do.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Elden Ring gameplay reveal was exactly 2 years after the game was announced, no?
Still better than Starfield for sure, but not "early" imo.

On topic, the fact that I absolutely loved most BGS output so far + how Starfield is described internally + the incredible art/music revelead so far = no need for gameplay to start getting hyped.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
No hype here, given how little we know + the aftertaste of Bethesda proper's last game (Fallout 4)

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just a coincidence that you made this moments after Elden Ring reviews came out?

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of concern trolling regarding this game lately. BGS only released a game that was not received positively with Fallout 74, rest have been all winners (90+ meta).

EDIT: totally forgot about Fallout 4 lol Okay still a pretty solid track record.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Expectations are high and probably should be. It's their first new RPG epic in many years. While the landscape is different now, nobody else does it quite like Bethesda Game Studios, there's a certain appeal there because nobody else really makes these types of games, not on that scale.

While I thought they fell a bit short with Fallout 4, Far Harbor showed they can still produce quality content, and I'm really getting the sense that BGS are hungry again to smash it out of the park.

They said it's "Skyrim in space" and that's all they have to say and people will eat it up. Skyrim is one of the most influential and highly regarded games of all time. People haven't forgotten the experiences BGS can deliver.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Even tho it's a new IP, it's still a Bethesda game. Do you really think they'll change that much from what we've seen in the past with Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc? I already know what I'll play in Starfield.

Nope and I don't want them to. Skyrim in space would be a 10/10 game for me.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
BGS Games / Deep exploration system + Rewarding / Sense of awe & wonder / Discovery driven / BGS NPC system / BGS itemization / Extremely dense world building and at the top of all of that Realistic SCI-FI.

We could add Creation engine 2 + next gen only. But the most hype thing is that Space is the ultimate form of exploration.

Litsabaki

Feb 20, 2022
I'm not hyped for it at all personally. None of the trailers have indicated anything to be hyped about and I'm not a fan of the space setting . I will just wait until it's released to see if it's actually any good and be happy that they'll finally work on Elder Scrolls 6 once it's out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.