• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to complain about the fact that the person who gave Anakin his scar does so offscreen in the movies and is never even mentioned outside of the EU and didn't even get proper character development until the Clone Wars by Dave Filoni.
I was just about to say it's a shame Ventress wasn't in the movies, she could have fit in well into the prequels.

And if Grievous wasn't made out to be a joke of a character I think he would have been great for all three movies.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We got Y and B Wings!
a31a200abe81da129cc1627299b171f0.png

Yeah. With JJ Abrams distinct lack of space.

Taking the space out of Star Trek and Star Wars since 2009.

He's even shoehorned an ocean in same as he did with Star Trek.

Oct 28, 2017
Rey has to be an illusion like Luke's phantom Vader from Dagobah. That cave was strong with the Dark Side and the Emperors death surely made it the same.

But it could be any number of things.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not expecting much. Rey going to the darkside would be pretty flat...i mean we already had that in the prequels leading into the original series. Not much interesting shown there to be honest. The is trilogy has lacked the world building that is probably Star Wars greatest strength. It doesn't have the scale

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Imagine the Lord of the Ring saga but they only introduce the ring and Sauron in the third movie lol whats the arc of this trilogy

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the Lord of the Ring saga but they only introduce the ring and Sauron in the third movie lol whats the arc of this trilogy
JJ said:
"This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before."

And it's the sins of the father, and it's the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it's also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before? It's less about grandeur. It's less about restoring an old age. It's more about preserving a sense of freedom and not being one of the oppressed."

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rey falling at least temporary and having to be saved would be a lot more interesting then the opposite. I mean Luke flips out in Episode 8 over just how quick and easy it is for Rey to just fall into the lure of the Dark Side. Palpatine being the manipulative bastard he is should have no problem being able to at least lure her into embracing darkness even if only at a superficial level. Its going to be some sort of vision though I am sure.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
JJ Abrams said "This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before."

And it's the sins of the father, and it's the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it's also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before? It's less about grandeur. It's less about restoring an old age. It's more about preserving a sense of freedom and not being one of the oppressed."

Couldn't this exactly describe the original trilogy? And even more so given the context of the prequels?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's telling how the cinematography and characters in the originals are still by far the most iconic.

The sequel trilogy has been so disappointing

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people overreact every time they make a lightsaber variant? I don't think there's been a single instance of them going too far in the main movies. Like this is a folding one it's not a suit made of lightsabers

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So Sheev, potentially a clone himself, has a clone Rey that will fight our hero Rey in a fight reminiscent of the Duel of the Fates Darth Maul fight in Phantom Menace. Probably not one word of that is true, but since we're guessing.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even think Sheev will be in the movie much tbh, like if he's their big hook then how come he's only in the trailers in short voice clips and his addition to the poster looks so last-minute? Just looks like a marketing hook and his actual role in the movie will be fairly minimal. Like a flashback or something

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think Sheev will be in the movie much tbh, like if he's their big hook then how come he's only in the trailers in short voice clips and his addition to the poster looks so last-minute? Just looks like a marketing hook and his actual role in the movie will be fairly minimal. Like a flashback or something
Lets hope so

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Doesn't really make sense why they would visit the ROTJ Death Star unless he was there.

Unless they turn up there to pick up some Death Star laser tech to destroy that fleet.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was about to complain about the fact that the person who gave Anakin his scar does so offscreen in the movies and is never even mentioned outside of the EU and didn't even get proper character development until the Clone Wars by Dave Filoni.
Asajj-Ventress_d5ca9413.jpeg

More proof that TPM was an absolutely useless movie. Then I remembered that George signed off on a lot of gross shit for Natalie Portman's outfit. And so Ventress likely would've been creepy too instead of badass liek this:
adam-fisher-afisher-asajjventres-close01.jpg

I hope we one day get a live action Ventress on Disney+

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I sincerely hope no clone nonsense appears in this movie regarding Rey.
Honestly kinda dislike that this Dark Rey thing was even revealed at all. It's too much of a big deal and is going to color the discussion negatively imo. I want Rey to be the Hero, I hope this dark Rey is just a force vision either she has or better yet Ben has.

For the past four years any time someone has said OO it'd be so badass if Rey went to the dark side, I just want to cringe.

Oct 28, 2017
This has to be a vision or flashback.

No way is Rey going down the dark side at this point.

If it was going to happen, it should have happened last movie. It might have been interesting to see both Rey and Kylo flip sides of the force and then spend maybe a half to an almost full movie length exploring that story beat only to have them both settle into some grey area at the end.

What's more interesting to me is what will happen to Kylo Ren. Will he be the hero at the end or will he go out like the little punk bitch we've seen the last two movies? I can't see any redemption for him after committing patricide to a beloved character. And we know he's not going to be the ultimate big bad of the last film so i'm Very interested to see how he's ultimately handled and what his fate will end up being.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Do we have a run time yet?

Too many characters, too many dangling threads across all the films really for them to go in some crazy, exposition-heavy needed change direction me thinks. JJ likes to keep things brisk and digestible.

I'm stoked, I just want good character moments and a conclusion that makes sense given the past - even if it's not super satisfying in itself

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No way that's Rey. It just looks off, like it's a CGI mask. You can say it's makeup or whatever but that shot just looks like there's more going with it.

Dec 22, 2017

To be fair, Tolkien didn't infodump all the ring, Nazgul and Sauron stuff at the beginning like Peter Jackson did. It was more of a slow burn.

I do agree this SW trilogy has an odd arc, based on what we have seen so far.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
my gut instinct is to dislike dark rey unless its part of a vision, but i need to spend some time absorbing positive reactions to it, bc my twitter tl is made up of a lot of reylo folks who love it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In agreement that Rey's face looks all kinds of off in that shot. I dunno why but it's gotta be intentional, because you have to actually.. try to make Daisy look bad.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a run time yet?

Too many characters, too many dangling threads across all the films really for them to go in some crazy, exposition-heavy needed change direction me thinks. JJ likes to keep things brisk and digestible.

I'm stoked, I just want good character moments and a conclusion that makes sense given the past - even if it's not super satisfying in itself

Not yet. J.J. likes to keep his movies around 2 hours long, so it will probably fall somewhere between 2 and 2 and half hours. Some sites have tried to pass off the amount of music that John Williams is reportedly writing as a runtime, but that's not the best barometer. Not all music written for a movie gets used and not all parts of the movie have music. (But in case you're wondering, he's apparently writing roughly 140 minutes of score).

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asajj-Ventress_d5ca9413.jpeg

More proof that TPM was an absolutely useless movie. Then I remembered that George signed off on a lot of gross shit for Natalie Portman's outfit. And so Ventress likely would've been creepy too instead of badass liek this:
adam-fisher-afisher-asajjventres-close01.jpg
She's not really into the sith thing after the Clone Wars though, right? I would think maybe Barriss Offee could also show up as some Sith wannabe. I love to hate Barris because Ahsoka saved her ass twice and she still turned traitor on her.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Rian Johnson inspired our boy JJ.

J.J. Abrams speaking to Vanity Fair: "Working on nine, I found myself approaching it slightly differently," he says. "Which is to say that, on seven, I felt beholden to Star Wars in a way that was interesting—I was doing what to the best of my ability I felt Star Wars should be." But this time something changed. Abrams found himself making different choices—for the camera angles, the lighting, the story. "It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, fuck it, I'm going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201...over-story

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Man imagine if Rian did episode 7 and the JJ got a hold of episodes 8 and 9 inslired by thst fuck it doing something I feel right attitude. 7 wouldn't have been a wank fest and 8 and 9 could have built off of Johnsons idea of a sequel trilogy. Could have been amazing.

God yes!! JJ just set up ideas and said "your problem now" on his way out the doors.

His cape has no reflection.
Vampires!!!

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
The more and more I watch this the more and more I think the swerve will actually be that Ben is actually the clone/son or Palpating. Imagine the mind fuck it will be on him.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
What if Rey just uses the power of the Dark Side without letting herself be consumed by it?
People who think she's a Mary Sue would complain a lot, though haha

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The more and more I watch this the more and more I think the swerve will actually be that Ben is actually the clone/son or Palpating. Imagine the mind fuck it will be on him.
I don't know about that. The grandson and heir of Vader in more ways than one (the hair, the slightly inexplicable internal conflict) is way more interesting. Unless of course they pull some "it was Sheev all along" business with the birth of Anakin, then that would be something simlar (he would be a sort of the great grandson to Sheev).

Otherwise the setup seems pretty simple, Sheev wanted super powered Anakin, then that got fucked up, Sheev wanted reasonably powered Luke, then that got fucked up, Sheev wanted super-powered Ben. Then enter super-powered Rey as an alternate. I mean, bad wizard wanting young body is pretty standard stuff they could lean into that would only require one line of exposition to get things moving. Maybe this Dark Rey is a clone of our Rey, who is not a clone. That wouldn't be too bad.

I would of course welcome something completely left-field. Loved when VIII blew my expectations out of the water for something more meaningful, would love for that to happen again.