• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this after everything I've seen. A great $40 package.

On Star Wars games as a whole:
I think what we really need is a blowout Star Wars Battlefront game. Like the seamless ground-air-space that people have dreamed about for years. This game seems to be a great model for space-air combat and we need to get less arcade-y on the ground. More influence from older Battlefield titles. Capital Supremacy is the model for this but it needs to be seamless and not have a automated transition between ground and space. We should be flying the troop carriers and landing them on the enemy ship. It feels like games used to let us do all that but now the cool parts play out in cutscenes. It's like if you had a D-day map where you don't drive the boats onto the beach. What's the point?!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
FWIW Scavengers Odyssey is AWFUL for motion sickness. It's literally the only VR game I've gotten VR sick with.
I can't say I've tried the VR mission for Battlefront or Scavengers, but looking at a video of the Battlefront mission, I see the camera doing a lot of bouncing up and down that I can imagine could be a problem.

I'm also extremely sensitive to motion sickness in VR (I was sick for a week after playing Windlands for about 20 minutes). By contrast, I can play Elite Dangerous for literally hours with no adverse effects at all. That game doesn't have a cockpit camera bouncing around. It's completely stable, which is important. Of what I have seen of this game, it also has a stable camera. I'm sure it will be fine, but ask me tomorrow. I have an Index and a 3090. If motion sickness is an issue, I'll be the first one to say so and get my Steam refund.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the game. Like Lant_War said, I started VR with the worst game possible for motion sickness.

You know what, I'm buying this game, even if I'll only play it in 2D.
I can't resist piloting X-Wings/Tie Fighters. My favourite parts in Battlefront 1 & 2 where the flying ones, so I know I'll love this.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this after everything I've seen. A great $40 package.

I think what we really need is a blowout Star Wars Battlefront game. Like the seamless ground-air-space that people have dreamed about for years. This game seems to be a great model for space-air combat and we need to get less arcade-y on the ground. More influence from older Battlefield titles. Capital Supremacy is the model for this but it needs to be seamless and not have a automated transition between ground and space. We should be flying the troop carriers and landing them on the enemy ship. It feels like games used to let us do all that but now the cool parts play out in cutscenes. It's like if you had a D-day map where you don't drive the boats onto the beach. What's the point?!
It's called streamlining and it's not always a good thing. Feels like games were way more ambitious back then with this kind of stuff.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The SSDs for next gen systems might something like that finally feasible on console hardware

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Rogue.

Rouge is the french word for Red. And this is more like X-Wing vs Tie Fighter than those Factor 5 console games, thankfully.

Anywho, anyone know which HOTAS would be the best to buy for PC to play this?

My 2080 Ti and Valve Index are ready.
Like with most things in the hobbyist world, the question is: How much do you want to spend?

There are recommendations as low as $50 and as high as $1,000.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
Is this included in the 10 hour trial thing for the base EA Play (PC)? Or do i need the full EA Play Pro sub?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Any next gen updates for this? 3D audio support would be incredible on next gen systems.

At the very least Boost Mode will take advantage of unlocked framerates, or improve dips below the targeted cap. And you'll be able to take advantage of system level VRR if you have a supported display.

3D Audio is hardware based, so there should be a toggle that enables virtual surround sound for whatever you're playing, but they haven't really detailed that functionality as far as real world usage goes.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like with most things in the hobbyist world, the question is: How much do you want to spend?

There are recommendations as low as $50 and as high as $1,000.
let's say money was no object. I'm wondering if pedals come into play in this game at all, which HOTAS integrates best with this game overall and IMO the Thrustmaster Warthog is too old to command the price it does and should not be seriously considered. Right now I'm looking at the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS bu wondering if there's anything better than that in terms of durability and design, and wondering if getting those pedals would be a waste.

EDIT: I also already own a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS 4 for PS4 and PC that I bought for Ace Combat 7 which is basically broken now because the twist function started drifting like 6 months after buying the thing and apparently that is a known issue with these sticks. Never touching that model again, and hoping not to get another one like that with known durability issues.

Last edited:

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this is already known:

Is this coming to Xbox Game Pass?

I thought I saw a story a few weeks back that EA/Origin games were going to be on Game Pass. Did I dream that?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
let's say money was no object. I'm wondering if pedals come into play in this game at all, which HOTAS integrates best with this game overall and IMO the Thrustmaster Warthog is too old to command the price it does and should not be seriously considered. Right now I'm looking at the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS bu wondering if there's anything better than that in terms of durability and design, and wondering if getting those pedals would be a waste.
If money is no object,

vkbcontrollers.com

VKB North America

We sell VKB Flight & Space Simulation Controllers for customers in the United States and Canada.

(I'd recommend the Gunfighter Space Edition) + whatever throttle you want from someone else.

or

virpil-controls.eu

VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

★ Right hand variant ★ Metal Flip Trigger and Brake Lever ★ Material - Enhanced PU Plastic Construction ★ Flip trigger and dual stage trigger can be activated simultaneously for additional stages ★ Digital Brake Lever Axis ★ All-Metal Twist Axis Mechanism with Lockout ★ Adjustable hand rest

+

VIRPIL EU - Bases - Flightsticks - Shop

VIRPIL Controls - Bringing Real Happiness to the Virtual Skies

virpil-controls.eu

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle

★ Aircraft-grade Duralumin Mechanics ★ Dual Throttle Axes ★ Analogue Slew Stick ★ Programmable LED Lighting ★ VPC Contactless Digital Proximity Sensors

VIRPIL EU - Rudder Pedals - Shop

VIRPIL Controls - Bringing Real Happiness to the Virtual Skies

When I'm ready to replace my current HOTAS (http://www.chproducts.com/ - Fighter Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals), I'll be going with a full VIRPIL setup.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The SSDs for next gen systems might something like that finally feasible on console hardware

Maybe the whole space + ground at once part wasn't feasible but they've definitely stripped away things that were present in older games on older hardware. In Star Wars Battlefront II you had to destroy various parts of the capital ship to open it up then you had to pile everyone on the transports and fly them over to blow it up from the inside. Way more immersive than, say, current Battlefront's Capital Supremacy where they don't even animate getting on the transport. You just hold a button, and then a cutscene plays. Even the little touch in MW2019 of flying to the MP map rather than popping in is kind of nice even though it's just a cutscene. Immediately feels cool when you first play.

It's called streamlining and it's not always a good thing. Feels like games were way more ambitious back then with this kind of stuff.
Yeah, I think Battlefield is a good illustration of this. Early Battlefields had expansive naval, ground, and air combat. You could drive all of the ships (even the aircraft carrier spawn point and shoot their guns and sink the other ships into the ocean. They slowly stripped those away so our naval combat is mostly now personal craft. With Titan mode you could fly the Titan, you had to find a transport to get onto the enemy Titan, and when you won, you had to run off and parachute out to escape before it blew up. 100000% better than just getting a Victory screen. Now you can't even go through takeoff in a plane, it just pops in which is weird because now Battlefield animates so many things like getting to various vehicles but then took this away.

It's probably not unrelated that as requirements for graphical fidelity went up, we lost some of that work but these are like their main tentpole releases. It's THE time to blow the doors off, not skimp. Especially with Star Wars games with a built-in gigantic audience.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am envious of people playing this in VR. Please MS, somehow someway announce a Quest compatibility option next gen. C'mon. Throw me a bone.

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
So i'm getting 140FPS constantly but the game is not smooth at all. Will try the driver, but can't say whats causing the problems tbh...

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
I load it from steam and get a black screen. is my instal buggered up or do I just have to wait two more minutes or something (Singapore)?

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a 1070 running this at 1440p? Curious what my performance will be like until I can find a 3080

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Ars was writing about this too - that the frame rate felt lower than it is.

OK this is Wierd. I was using 144hz refresh rate previously and everything felt sluggish. Although fps was showing 130+. The moment I switched to 60hz refresh, it feels fine now. Could be a bug you think?

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know this worked for PSVR too. I was going to pass but I might consider picking this up if the reviews are good. Haven't gotten a VR game in a while.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't read that story, but I don't think they'd put newer games on there. Think it would be things like Mass Effect games and things like that.
Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for the response. If the MP is good, I may pick up early. Otherwise I'm mostly waiting for next gen versions of all these new games.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
OK this is Wierd. I was using 144hz refresh rate previously and everything felt sluggish. Although fps was showing 130+. The moment I switched to 60hz refresh, it feels fine now. Could be a bug you think?
Sounds that way. Thanks for posting a work around. Hopefully they resolve this soon.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Ahhhh, ok. Thanks for the response. If the MP is good, I may pick up early. Otherwise I'm mostly waiting for next gen versions of all these new games.

Just read it, they are adding EA Play (lets you play new games for 10 hours like a demo), not EA Play Pro (the thing that lets you play new games free). On top of that EA Play lets you play some of their old games for free, so they'll be adding things like The Sims, Mass Effect, Garden Warfare and other games like that. Games that are a few years old.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this one considered to be XvTF2?

That's more X-wing 2 (or 3, if we count TIE Fighter as X-wing 2).

XvT was more a spin-off in the series, as it was focused in the Multiplayer while the other three games were focused in the Single Player. XWA had a quite decent multiplayer tho, which has been expanded a lot along the years with some mod wizardy, but nothing compared with the campaign.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Really excited to try this in VR! I was bummed when VR portion of Battlefront was only on the PS4. It's gonna be an experience!