• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I'm still sitting here waiting for my Rebels and Aphra news
Obi-Wan? Delayed. Cassian? Delayed. Aphra? Delayed. Rebels 2? Believe it or not, delayed.
jKgf68K.jpg

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather shit get delayed and fine tuned as much as it needs to be than rushed to meet a certain date. I get why these delay rumors elicit the same kind of "not this shit again" reaction from people. But imagine if TROS was delayed a year. People would've called for Kennedy's head, held it up as further proof that she was mismanaging the company and the brand, that she and JJ were flying blind and didn't know what they were doing, blah blah...and it would've almost certainly resulted in a better movie.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather shit get delayed and fine tuned as much as it needs to be than rushed to meet a certain date. I get why these delay rumors elicit the same kind of "not this shit again" reaction from people. But imagine if TROS was delayed a year. People would've called for Kennedy's head, held it up as further proof that she was mismanaging the company and the brand, that she and JJ were flying blind and didn't know what they were doing, blah blah...and it would've almost certainly resulted in a better movie.
Totally agreed.. and hey.. they did not even reveal release dates for the delayed shows 🤷‍♂️

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty insane to think that Episode IX was originally going to drop less than a month after Endgame.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In regards to the delays of the TV shows, bear in mind that if Mando is any indicator of the scope and quality they are shooting for in terms of production and FX, such an undertaking is no small thing and is the equivalent of shooting multiple films in succession.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The day it becomes not a mess is the day something explicitly not adherent to "George's vision" (aka the Campbell stuff) is commercially successful, and so opens up the gates for more ambitious and experimental content

And before anyone says it, Mando was super Hero's Journey

They abandoned Lucas' 'vision' long ago (And for good reason) and honestly, people tend to overplay the Campbell influence, forgetting that Lucas took inspiration from a myriad of sources, not the least of which was Kurosawa, Flash Gordon, etc.

Both TLJ (which was commercially successful) and Solo (which was not) were most definitely attempting to branch out of the typical SW formula, as was Rogue One. Mando is also certainly a different take on the material and now that we are officially finished with the Skywalker arc outside of a few side projects, there's really no reason for them not to push the envelope moving forward, especially as they look to do films based on ancient back stories like the founding of the Jedi, the Sith, etc.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand why TCW always uses that same ending credits music. It often doesn't tonally fit with the endings and it's just jarring.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand why TCW always uses that same ending credits music. It often doesn't tonally fit with the endings and it's just jarring.

There is one episode in particular where they don't use it during an emotional ending and it just makes such a huge impact on that one moment, so I see what you mean.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
A Swedish retailer put up pictures of the front and back covers of almost all the upcoming 4K releases of the Star Wars movies (The Rise of Skywalker excluded) so we now have an idea of what some of the special features are. TheDigitalBits has the details. It looks like the Saga films that haven't been released on 4K yet will get a handful of new featurettes. The score-only version of The Last Jedi is listed as being on the Blu-ray. The bonus disc for The Force Awakens will be the one from the 3D release as well.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
A Swedish retailer put up pictures of the front and back covers of almost all the upcoming 4K releases of the Star Wars movies (The Rise of Skywalker excluded) so we now have an idea of what some of the special features are. TheDigitalBits has the details. It looks like the Saga films that haven't been released on 4K yet will get a handful of new featurettes. The score-only version of The Last Jedi is listed as being on the Blu-ray. The bonus disc for The Force Awakens will be the one from the 3D release as well.

I have TLJ on blu-ray but have occasionally considered trying to track down a 4K steelbook. If this comes here to Canada with the score-only version, that's an insta-buy for me since they took the score-only version off D+ here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
How sad is it that I'll probably just wait for Disney + and not buy Rise on digital.

In things with the word rise in the title but are actually good news, I rode rise of resistance at Disneyland last weekend and it was absolutely incredible. If you have the means to make it to a Disney park, I could not recommend it more. So good.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
How sad is it that I'll probably just wait for Disney + and not buy Rise on digital.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to save myself the money and wait as well. I've got that shelf though and my completionist brain still wants a copy even if I don't really like the movie.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
They abandoned Lucas' 'vision' long ago (And for good reason) and honestly, people tend to overplay the Campbell influence, forgetting that Lucas took inspiration from a myriad of sources, not the least of which was Kurosawa, Flash Gordon, etc.

Kurosawa yes, but Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers are somewhat overplayed. Lucas was relying on childhood memory for those. He didn't revisit them as an adult. Certainly a important influence though. The Campbell influence was important starting at the 2nd or so draft of Star Wars and onward through the other films. It was a big deal to Lucas, like a light going off. But Lucas was also showing films such as Silent Running, 2001, Forbidden Planet, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Fellini Satryicon to his crew during production:

Paul Duncan, writer of The Star Wars Archives, shares a lot of great details on his twitter if you can't afford that behemoth

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kurosawa yes, but Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers are somewhat overplayed. Lucas was relying on childhood memory for those. He didn't revisit them as an adult. Certainly a important influence though. The Campbell influence was important starting at the 2nd or so draft of Star Wars and onward through the other films. It was a big deal to Lucas, like a light going off. But Lucas was also showing films such as Silent Running, 2001, Forbidden Planet, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Fellini Satryicon to his crew during production:

Paul Duncan, writer of The Star Wars Archives, shares a lot of great details on his twitter if you can't afford that behemoth

I actually own that behemoth; it's awesome. :)

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The UHD saga boxset just doesn't seem worth it to me the PT are all upscaled from 2K and the OT are going to include all the changes Lucas has done over the years.

I think I'll just pick up TROS on UHD and then TFA when it eventually gets its own UHD release.

I'm a little bit surprised it isn't coming to D+ on the same day, I figured they would use it to try and get more subs especially with D+ launching in Europe around the same time.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda cool they are releasing all of the other films including rogue one on 4K.

I really want TFA on 4K that lightsaber fight in the snow would look so good.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Hidden Fortress' influence on Star Wars is a little overstated. And that movie also kind of sucks...

No deleted scenes for TROS is so annoying. What could they possibly be holding out for at this point? I have to imagine this is a JJ thing because Lucasfilm had no qualms putting TLJ's deleted scenes out.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
So we're not getting the Rey and Rose scene KMT talked about after all... just a crumb is all I ask

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm a little bit surprised it isn't coming to D+ on the same day, I figured they would use it to try and get more subs especially with D+ launching in Europe around the same time.
They're not even adding every episode of The Mandalorian straight away so they don't seem all that interested in working to attract subs.

-

The Maestro's Finale
– Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
The special feature I'm most interested in and it's a digital exclusive.

Looks like the physical release is the 20th April here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Companies never release a film on home video and a streaming service at the same time because it would completely cannibalize the home video sales.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they're saving the deleted scenes for a re-release, since after TROS it will be a little while before they have another Star Wars film to release to home video

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Smh the people making these decisions are absolute idiots. I was going to sign up for a year straight away but I might just hold off now.

I mean are they going to start showing the Clone Wars a month out of sync as well this is ridiculous.
I had presumed they would have the first five eps of Season 7 ready by the time it launched here to line up with the US library, but that seems unlikely now. I paid for a VPN on top of the Dutch Disney+ subscription to watch The Mandalorian but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it again.