• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to add something to the discussion in regards to the Jedi Code: I don't think "love" by itself was forbidden. How can someone be a peacekeeper without feeling love or affection? How do they know the right side to fight for?

What was forbidden was romance and sex. Which is another discussion. But Obi-Wan didn't feel romantically attracted to Anakin. He loved him like a brother.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just to add something to the discussion in regards to the Jedi Code: I don't think "love" by itself was forbidden. How can someone be a peacekeeper without feeling love or affection? How do they know the right side to fight for?

What was forbidden was romance and sex. Which is another discussion. But Obi-Wan didn't feel romantically attracted to Anakin. He loved him like a brother.
Even sex isn't technically forbidden by the jedi code.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Two things a sequel can address

-Cere has an inquisitor's lightsaber. We know that there's a way to uncorrupt red lightsabers, causing them to turn white, give Cere a white lightsaber you cowards!

-There is a clear romance hint between Cal and Merrin, even though they're literally on opposite spectrums of the force and jedi are forbidden to fall in love. Something they can address as Cal can be conflicted on whether or not to go against the jedi code now that he's officially a jedi knight. Kudos to the writers and designers for not falling into born sexy yesterday tropes, giving Merrin an excellent character design and great dialogue that veers between awkward, curious, and sassy. Dedicate a chunk of the cinematic budget to scenes with her and Greez please....

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Darth Vader works like the Bounty Hunters in that he tries to hunt you down as you explore more worlds, but like his data log said, escape is the only chance of survival. Maybe it could tie into some incredibly light stealth feature where if your presence is reported on a planet, you only have x amount of time to leave before he arrives.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

That's the problem.

Jedi are supposed to practice an all-encompassing "love." You love everyone equally, no attachment to any one person. It's a detached, universal type of love. Obi-Wan declaring that he loved Anakin is against the Jedi Code as he's admitting that he loved him like a brother, ie something more than the impersonal love the Jedi preach, an attachment. That is forbidden.

There's actually a great Clone Wars episode where
Ahsoka and another Padawan get trapped on Genosis and we see the difference between Anakin and the other Padawan's master. Anakin is gravely concerned about Ahsoka and is ready to do anything to save her, meanwhile the other master is more detached and willing to accept if their Padawan died. In the end, Anakin's concern is what helps save them yet the other master criticizes Anakin's reaction as too emotional as he was unwilling to let go.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Darth Vader works like the Bounty Hunters in that he tries to hunt you down as you explore more worlds, but like his data log said, escape is the only chance of survival. Maybe it could tie into some incredibly light stealth feature where if your presence is reported on a planet, you only have x amount of time to leave before he arrives.
That reminds me of Let It Die.

If you stayed too long on a level nearly unbeatable enemies would appear to hunt you down.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fuck the platinum for this game, not even going to bother unless they add fast travel to ship and ability to see chests you've opened already.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem.

Jedi are supposed to practice an all-encompassing "love." You love everyone equally, no attachment to any one person. It's a detached, universal type of love. Obi-Wan declaring that he loved Anakin is against the Jedi Code as he's admitting that he loved him like a brother, ie something more than the impersonal love the Jedi preach, an attachment. That is forbidden.

There's actually a great Clone Wars episode where Ahsoka and another Padawan get trapped on Genosis and we see the difference between Anakin and the other Padawan's master. Anakin is gravely concerned about Ahsoka and is ready to do anything to save her, meanwhile the other master is more detached and willing to accept if their Padawan died. In the end, Anakin's concern is what helps save them yet the other master criticizes Anakin's reaction as too emotional as he was unwilling to let go.

Yeah, it was great because it proved how Anakin was honestly a pretty terrible Jedi. The Jedi believed wholly in the will of the Force, so much so that they wouldn't lift a finger to help people in need because they believed the Force would provide the answer or solution. They were extremely hands off.

As you say, the Jedi didn't even rescue each other. In one of the earliest episodes, Plo Koon is stuck in an escape pod with no chance of survival and the Jedi Council forbade Anakin and Ahsoka from trying to save him. Of course they totally ignored their orders, but the Jedi Council disliked how often Anakin refused to follow their commands.

In another storyline, Ahsoka is kidnapped by Trandoshans so they can hunt her for sport and the Jedi Council says "the Force will guide her home" or some such nonsense. Anakin ignored his orders to maintain his position in a blockade to go find her and was pretty close to tearing the galaxy apart to do it, but she rescued herself and Anakin was extremely sorry he didn't save her. The other Jedi still went on about how the Force guided her to safety but Ahsoka credited her survival to the lessons Anakin taught her.

I thought that was pretty sweet.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Honestly gotta say the OST sucks. Not sure why the went with Stephen Barton over Mark Griskey. SWTOR has a fucking bad ass OST. As far as John Williams posers go Respawn could've done better.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Finished the game yesterday and
Holy crap they did such an amazing job with Darth Vader! That shit was terrifying.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the problem.

There's actually a great Clone Wars episode where Ahsoka and another Padawan get trapped on Genosis and we see the difference between Anakin and the other Padawan's master. Anakin is gravely concerned about Ahsoka and is ready to do anything to save her, meanwhile the other master is more detached and willing to accept if their Padawan died. In the end, Anakin's concern is what helps save them yet the other master criticizes Anakin's reaction as too emotional as he was unwilling to let go.
I think that kind of reading is too "literal," for a lack of a better word. The moment you have a master and an apprentice, they already have a bond that's bigger than a Council member and that Padawan, for example. But I can understand your point of view, and I think we can agree to disagree.

Just a heads-up: please be mindful of Clone Wars spoilers. Luckily, I saw that episode a couple of days ago, but I'm literally going through that list of recommended episodes - and I know others in this forum are as well. I know it's been years since they aired, but since this thread isn't related to that series, it can get people caught by surprise.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Great game. Ending was a bit abrupt, but it worked.

Really surprised by how much I cared about the characters here. More than anyone in the new movies tbh. Loved all of the main cast
and Merrin is bae

Hope we get a sequel.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Great game. Ending was a bit abrupt, but it worked.

Really surprised by how much I cared about the characters here. More than anyone in the new movies tbh. Loved all of the main cast
and Merrin is bae

Hope we get a sequel.

She needs way more screen time. I'd love some dlc with her as a playable character.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Cal is definitely a dork who loves being a jedi who is also haunted by his childhood trauma. Not as quippy as Nathan Drake or even your usual SW protagonist but also they keenly avoided the stoic manly man vibe that you see in characters like Sam Porter Bridges or Geralt. The actor has even gone so far as to say that out of all the characters he's played, Cal is the one who resembles his real life personality the most.

and honestly, it's reallllly sweet how the "love being a Jedi" and "haunted by childhood trauma" elements interact with one another

like, as Cal overcomes various challenges using his Jedi abilities, he becomes confident to the point of arrogance, and we can see him just feeling this massive lift from having a sense of purpose and being useful and being badass

that happens all the time IRL, though: getting through mental health issues has ups and downs, often has false positives, and we tend to overestimate how much just changing our circumstances and racking up on successes will make us better

it becomes clear later on that Cal still has a long way to go, and he makes more an effort to work through his problems directly; the start of a long process, as it is when we see him at his most actualized as a Jedi near the end of he game that we also see him at his most visibly vulnerable, taking deep breaths in a way anyone who has had to nurse a burdened heart will recognize

this doesn't only speak to what being a Jedi, what being connected to the Force, truly means; it also places the Jedi fantasy in the context of power fantasies at large, and speaks to their limitations

frankly, I ended the game feeling like Cal is a real sweetheart, and CrueltyEra being so dismissive of him is painful to watch smh

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
and honestly, it's reallllly sweet how the "love being a Jedi" and "haunted by childhood trauma" elements interact with one another

like, as Cal overcomes various challenges using his Jedi abilities, he becomes confident to the point of arrogance, and we can see him just feeling this massive lift from having a sense of purpose and being useful and being badass

that happens all the time IRL, though: getting through mental health issues has ups and downs, often has false positives, and we tend to overestimate how much just changing our circumstances and racking up on successes will make us better

it becomes clear later on that Cal still has a long way to go, and he makes more an effort to work through his problems directly; the start of a long process, as it is when we see him at his most actualized as a Jedi near the end of he game that we also see him at his most visibly vulnerable, taking deep breaths in a way anyone who has had to nurse a burdened heart will recognize

this doesn't only speak to what being a Jedi, what being connected to the Force, truly means; it also places the Jedi fantasy in the context of power fantasies at large, and speaks to their limitations

frankly, I ended the game feeling like Cal is a real sweetheart, and CrueltyEra being so dismissive of him is painful to watch smh
Exactly. Like, this a pretty rare take on a character in a video game, a medium typically filled with ultra machismo displays of stoic hypermasculinity. Trauma isn't a footnote for Cal it's a constant part of his character. The fact that you see people even on a place like this one suggesting that he needs a beard or buzzcut really speaks to how far the industry has to go. As all we need to do is compare Cal to a character like Starkiller. Who is like, the exact type of protagonist Lucas tried to avoid when he created Luke.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame
You have to fight Taron Malicos, dude just reeks of badass. And such an unhonourable way of killing him too, 2 against 1.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Had a pretty great unexpected encounter yesterday that ended in a way I didn't expect at all. I genuinely love the world design in this game.

I love that type of stuff. You have these purge troopers and bounty hunters that are WAY more trained and experienced in combat than Cal (at this point), so it just makes sense to use your advantage, the Force. Throw them around, pull them into a drop, slow them to hit them in the back. There are a few environmental type of things like this in the game, just begging to be used. 😄

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Watching some BTS and it's funny how they did the mocap for the ninth sister. They had this super tall bulky dude in a mocap suit miming the actress of the ninth sister while she did her own performance capture. Oddly enough they were also recording
Trilla's face when doing the scene where she jumps onto the ship despite the fact that she was wearing her helmet? Actually in hindsight that makes sense as that's likely not the only scene they recorded that day.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
sucks there is no New Game+ and no way to go back and relive my favorite boss fights without trudging through the rest of the game again. Darn wish the game at least let you manage your own saves. I wanna go back and do the lightsaber boss battles.

But I dont wanna do the puzzles again honestly. Granted, it would be a breeze to redo those.

Guess I need to just start all over cause I miss the lightsaber fights. Only other game that might scratch my itch would be Sekiro which i also already finished.

Q: I dont think Code Vein or Nioh has combat like this game right? Whereas you make the boss run out of stamina and punish them hard? And satisfying Sword-on-Sword combat??

I'm on PC-- anyone got a save I can use??

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
sucks there is no New Game+ and no way to go back and relive my favorite boss fights without trudging through the rest of the game again. Darn wish the game at least let you manage your own saves. I wanna go back and do the lightsaber boss battles.
I have a save from when I had just arrived on
illium
just in case. Most modern games in general should let you have multiple save files. As i'm absolutely the type to have a greatest hits tier save list.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I have a save from when I had just arrived on
illium
just in case. Most modern games in general should let you have multiple save files. As i'm absolutely the type to have a greatest hits tier save list.
Thanks friend can you hook me up?? I'm desperate to go back and relive my favorite moments. This would be a lifesaver!!!!

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Two things a sequel can address

-Cere has an inquisitor's lightsaber. We know that there's a way to uncorrupt red lightsabers, causing them to turn white, give Cere a white lightsaber you cowards!

-There is a clear romance hint between Cal and Merrin, even though they're literally on opposite spectrums of the force and jedi are forbidden to fall in love. Something they can address as Cal can be conflicted on whether or not to go against the jedi code now that he's officially a jedi knight. Kudos to the writers and designers for not falling into born sexy yesterday tropes, giving Merrin an excellent character design and great dialogue that veers between awkward, curious, and sassy. Dedicate a chunk of the cinematic budget to scenes with her and Greez please....
The jedi order has fallen. Theres no teaching or codes to stick to any more.
Even luke refers to the jedi order as a thing of the past that he never experienced in TLJ

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The jedi order has fallen. Theres no teaching or codes to stick to any more.
Even luke refers to the jedi order as a thing of the past that he never experienced in TLJ
For Cal it's only been five years. So who knows how he'd react to being reminded of those lessons. That's another thing I like about the story, is that Cal himself is never tempted by the darkside, and there are so many points where they could easily written him tempted by it. Even when he's at his lowest point. Refreshing in a series where literally every goddamn male protagonist gets tempted by the darkside lol.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
For Cal it's only been five years. So who knows how he'd react to being reminded of those lessons. That's another thing I like about the story, is that Cal himself is never tempted by the darkside, and there are so many points where they could easily written him tempted by it. Even when he's at his lowest point. Refreshing in a series where literally every goddamn male protagonist gets tempted by the darkside lol.

All future Force users will be required to have their own BD droid to keep them centered. He's the key. 🤔

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished, with some decent exploration done.

A wholly enjoyable Star Wars experience, reasonably well-made and clearly done with care for the IP. I guess these days it's as good as a Star Wars game is gonna get. It doesn't excel at anything particular since it's basically a hodgepodge of ideas and mechanics cribbed from other games, but it's entertaining nonetheless. Wished there was more variety to the combat, also not a fan of the backtracking in here, mostly due to the lack of fast travel. The most surprising part was the narrative side of things in the last final hours, some actually strong stuff in the game that I really didn't expect.

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Them Skywalkers be trippin

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm recalling a hot take where someone said that this game was a step back when it came to AI in SW games compared to TFU. That uhh...didn't age well.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
If I like fallen order will I like sekiro?
Most likely. Just imagine the same mechanics (parrying, Stamina gauge, etc) but with a lot more boss fights and zero Tomb Raider elements (no puzzles).
Sekiro has a lot more boss fights.
I really enjoyed SW: Fallen order a lot more just knowing I could adjust my difficulty at any time (I beat it on Jedi master). Plus I loved the Tomb Raider games (beat all the remakes).***
With Sekiro, I personally found it more difficult. It just depends on your tastes. If you love puzzles then this is your game.

My advice is to own both games. I've finished both
Sekiro has NG+ though. So its easier to fully unlock everything and feel completed. Well that's a bad point because you can just keep playing this game as well.... So ignore my last bullet

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Most likely. Just imagine the same mechanics (parrying, Stamina gauge, etc) but with a lot more boss fights and zero Tomb Raider elements (no puzzles).
Sekiro has a lot more boss fights.
I really enjoyed SW: Fallen order a lot more just knowing I could adjust my difficulty at any time (I beat it on Jedi master). Plus I loved the Tomb Raider games (beat all the remakes).***
With Sekiro, I personally found it more difficult. It just depends on your tastes. If you love puzzles then this is your game.

My advice is to own both games. I've finished both
Sekiro has NG+ though. So its easier to fully unlock everything and feel completed
No puzzles in sekiro?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly gotta say the OST sucks. Not sure why the went with Stephen Barton over Mark Griskey. SWTOR has a fucking bad ass OST. As far as John Williams posers go Respawn could've done better.
Surely you're joking? The songs themselves are great, as are how they're actually used throughout the game

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
No puzzles in sekiro?
I cant recall a single puzzle. I'm a living contradiction. I hate puzzles. Can only tolerate the puzzles in Tomb Raider (and Uncharted TTL). I'm mostly enjoy problem solving how to defeat enemies / bosses, exploration, etc. I get a 'high' off of beating a tough boss

Which reminds me, I should try to beat these bosses on Grand master in SW: Fallen order. I found if I got into a rhythm on these bosses in SW: FO they went down fast (Jedi master difficulty) and I felt robbed of a complete victory. Because many times I felt i fought them sloppy but still took them out

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If I like fallen order will I like sekiro?

That depends. Sekiro is my personal GOTY. It's easily the best combat I've played in any action game, especially sword based gameplay. Fallen Order can't touch Sekiro's brilliance. That said, Sekiro is not for the easily frustrated. It's a game that rewards mastery and patience. If you've played the Souls games then you have some understanding of what this can be like. But Sekiro plays completely different than those games in a way that I think makes it the easiest FROM game yet. Fights are basically rhythm games. You need to learn your enemies moves and parry or dodge them accordingly. Once you get the hang of it, fights become beautiful dances where you're always on the tip of screwing up and paying the price.

Sekiro is a game that rewards patience and mastery. Once I beat Fallen Order, I booted backup Sekrio and started a new game just to remind myself how good its combat is and rewarding its boss fights. At this point, I know every boss like the back of my hand and can do some near flawlessly. Still, I find them challenging as they require perfection, one slip and I know I can die easily.

It also has a decent story to boot.

No puzzles in sekiro?

No.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game needs fast travel so bad. There's no way to do it that I'm Missing, right? Not even just going back to the ship?
im in the Tomb of Elam on Zeffo. I came back to the area to find secrets and I can't figure out how to get out. Does anyone know how I can leave? edit, N/M, found it.

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man this game needs fast travel so bad. There's no way to do it that I'm Missing, right? Not even just going back to the ship?
im in the Tomb of Elam on Zeffo. I came back to the area to find secrets and I can't figure out how to get out. Does anyone know how I can leave?

The only thing stopping me from platinuming this, and not showing chests you opened on map.

I'm missing a handful and it's brutal not knowing which ones they are and a planet can have 43 chests.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
it was the part where she was capable of losing control and striking out in such a way.
And I'm saying there is nothing morally wrong with her losing control and striking out in such a way. She did nothing wrong by doing that, in that way, and the game shouldn't portray it as such.

And btw, stop bringing Merrin up. She doesn't complicate any of this. She has nothing to do with this. Your only badgering me about her because I said that the game is depicting tapping into the dark side as bad regardless of context, and like with the Yoda screaming thing, you're focusing on the wrong part of the sentence and pretending that's the core point I'm making. I'd almost say your just straight up strawmanning at this point. The core argument here is Cere's reason for tapping into the dark side isn't bad, and Merrin has nothing to do with this.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That depends. Sekiro is my personal GOTY. It's easily the best combat I've played in any action game, especially sword based gameplay. Fallen Order can't touch Sekiro's brilliance. That said, Sekiro is not for the easily frustrated. It's a game that rewards mastery and patience. If you've played the Souls games then you have some understanding of what this can be like. But Sekiro plays completely different than those games in a way that I think makes it the easiest FROM game yet. Fights are basically rhythm games. You need to learn your enemies moves and parry or dodge them accordingly. Once you get the hang of it, fights become beautiful dances where you're always on the tip of screwing up and paying the price.

Sekiro is a game that rewards patience and mastery. Once I beat Fallen Order, I booted backup Sekrio and started a new game just to remind myself how good its combat is and rewarding its boss fights. At this point, I know every boss like the back of my hand and can do some near flawlessly. Still, I find them challenging as they require perfection, one slip and I know I can die easily.

It also has a decent story to boot.

No.
I want to try it. But I'm afraid of the frustration.