• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'd be surprised if Oros wasn't involved in the creation of the DMA somehow.

There will 100% be a mic drop moment of "Tarka and Oros caused the DMA." (ie caused the 10-C to get curious about something).
I'm really tired of this. I've long since been a Discovery defender but I can't tell you how badly I want this season to be over.

At least there's Picard next week.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Can we throw Book to a star? I'm tired of his bullshit.

Jan 29, 2018
I'd be surprised if Oros wasn't involved in the creation of the DMA somehow.

You're probably right that there's a connection somehow, but if it turns out that Oros is 10-C somehow, and created the DMA to harvest energy for his dimensional transporter with no regard for life because he's pissed at Tarka and his lot in life or something, I'll be pretty pissed. I much prefer the idea that 10-C is something truly alien and maybe unaware of life in the Milky Way.

I will say that Oros' description of this other universe did remind me of the Nexus from Generations. I'm not sure what the show would do with that to make it worthwhile to bring it in but it did sound sort of similar.

Tarka has manipulated Book from word one using Book's innate compassion. It makes me think the flashbacks Tarka is describing to Book (versus his initial involuntary one) are unreliable narration. Everything is done to keep Book from thinking clearly. Just like Book didn't question the cloaked ship further, even though it seemed too familiar with the area.

It seems unlikely that Oros is 10c. We haven't seen his species before on screen, but there was no indication in-universe he was mysterious or unknown to Tarka or the Chain. He was just a really gifted physicist.

Tarka was also genuinely stunned that the DMA wasn't powered in the way he thought it was. If he's still lying about something, it doesn't feel like it's hiding some connection with the creation of the DMA. It really is an unknown variable he is just taking advantage of.

Nov 27, 2020
What a boring episode. Really disappointed in this one. I had been looking forward to seeing the Galactic Barrier since it was mentioned several episodes ago, and this had zero tension compared to when TOS did the same thing 55 years ago. All we got was "shields down to 35%" and the ship floating around in space soap bubbles.

The Tarka backstory was boring as well, and at this point they've basically telegraphed that his friend is probably behind the DMA. Boring.

This second part of the season, since the break, has been pretty lame compared to the first part. I still blame the Discovery writer's room sticking to the same tired story structure season after season. Every season has been like this - interesting set up, reveal, coast for a few episodes and then big action stuff in the last two episodes. It's super predictable.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, now you're all scaring me with the Oros/DMA speculation. It does make sense, and if that's what the season is gonna reveal, then I'm going to be so damn disappointed.

I'm still hoping that Species 10-C is a true unknown force. I feel it's time for Star Trek to see something like that again.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Stamets' character is another really sore spot for me this season with Discovery. They've gone overboard with the reliance on his comedic quips and I can't remember the last time his dialogue or character interactions felt natural.

Based on the 1st season, I'm not sure if that's a reprieve.

Can we throw Book to a star? I'm tired of his bullshit.

The introduction of Tarka and ridiculous archetype they made him into has overshadowed Book's characterization but he still remains one of the few bright spots of Discovery's narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the episode except having so many key federation leaders on such a dangerous mission seems like a bad idea lol....

Also if the 10-C is this advanced how could they not know there is life in the Milky Way? That would be dumb.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the episode except having so many key federation leaders on such a dangerous mission seems like a bad idea lol....

Also if the 10-C is this advanced how could they not know there is life in the Milky Way? That would be dumb.

Could be a situation where they are so advanced that what they consider life worthy of being acknowledged is skewed.

Or this disregard is perpetuated by bad faith actors on their side and is not a reflection of the entire civilization itself.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017

If 10-C is in fact an advanced life form, they may view "life" differently than the those in the Milky Way. They may not see what they're doing as hostile in the way that the Federation and all other sentient life sees it.

That's why I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. I really hope it'll be something like Arrival, where it's a truly foreign presence that they have to deal with.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Could be a situation where they are so advanced that what they consider life worthy of being acknowledged is skewed.

Or this disregard is perpetuated by bad faith actors on their side and is not a reflection of the entire civilization itself.
Yeah if the view milk way galaxy species as the way we see ants then it makes sense.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
You're probably right that there's a connection somehow, but if it turns out that Oros is 10-C somehow, and created the DMA to harvest energy for his dimensional transporter with no regard for life because he's pissed at Tarka and his lot in life or something, I'll be pretty pissed. I much prefer the idea that 10-C is something truly alien and maybe unaware of life in the Milky Way.

I will say that Oros' description of this other universe did remind me of the Nexus from Generations. I'm not sure what the show would do with that to make it worthwhile to bring it in but it did sound sort of similar.

I think it's more Oros' transporter kinda worked, but his heaven/home/whatever the term was doesn't exist. He may have discovered new tech as a result of the transporter somehow, but he needs the stuff the DMA mines in order to create that perfect universe. (Edit: or what's inside the field is a bubble universe that's Oros' version of that perfect universe, and the mining is necessary to sustain it)

Edit 2: thinking about it more, I bet it's the second option. That way Oros can try and tempt Book with "Kweijan can still exist in this universe! You can be happy!" But then Book realizes it will be at the expense of Earth and Nivar and get his redemption. *sigh*

It may not be that precisely, but it'll be quite close to that. And don't get me wrong: it's the worst possible answer to the mystery, and I'm already pissed that it's more likely than not to be the case.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I'm already pissed off that Species 10 C isn't going to be Mephisto too but maybe we should wait for the actual reveal before the meltdowns?

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say how long 10C might have been around? I hope they are intergalactic and so far above us that they don't view us as life.

Oct 27, 2017
All those Tarka Oros scenes really killed this episode. They just sucked and seemed like a massive waste of time.

They hit on this a little bit with the translators, but I'm still thrown off how the last few episodes everyone has treated 10c as a species to be communicated with who are controlling the DMA like it was a sure thing. That's a lot of hypothetical bridge crossing and assumptions for something that is supposed to be a mystery/unknown. It would be more interesting if they were keeping their expectations totally open.

Kovich dipping out for something more important, Tarka and Oros backstory, 10c is already treated as another humanoid alien, all pointing towards some multiverse explanation rather than cool new entity or something.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
All those Tarka Oros scenes really killed this episode. They just sucked and seemed like a massive waste of time.

They hit on this a little bit with the translators, but I'm still thrown off how the last few episodes everyone has treated 10c as a species to be communicated with who are controlling the DMA like it was a sure thing. That's a lot of hypothetical bridge crossing and assumptions for something that is supposed to be a mystery/unknown.
Honestly anything they come up with in the finale will be better than the Mass Effect aliens in Picard, so the bar is pretty low right now in my mind. lol

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm already pissed off that Species 10 C isn't going to be Mephisto too but maybe we should wait for the actual reveal before the meltdowns?

This isn't the same as the Mephisto hopes in WandaVision. There, the internet had one specific outcome in mind, and were upset that that didn't happen. In this case, it would be

1) the show flat-out lying about Species 10C
2) Using a boring setup episode RIGHT before the reveal to justify the "twist" defying everything that came before
3) repeating the same themes as last season, plus a couple of old Trek movies on top of that
4) Coming on the heels of two disappointing previous season reveals that already pissed off a lot of folks. I'd be more forgiving if it was the first time they pulled this $#!?, but it isn't.

I don't have one specific outcome that I have to have or I'll be pissed - but literally every single other theory in this thread is better than it being Oros, IMO.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have one specific outcome that I have to have or I'll be pissed - but literally every single other theory in this thread is better than it being Oros, IMO.
It would just be so fucking hack if it was Oros.

The only way it might be forgivable is if the DMAs are actually a way for Oros to reach the original universe to try to bring more people over or even just to reach Tarka. But if that was the case, then they would have had the DMA do something golden ratio related so that it isn't one of those stupid Sherlock mysteries where it's literally impossible for the audience to solve.

Oct 31, 2017
This isn't the same as the Mephisto hopes in WandaVision. There, the internet had one specific outcome in mind, and were upset that that didn't happen. In this case, it would be

1) the show flat-out lying about Species 10C
2) Using a boring setup episode RIGHT before the reveal to justify the "twist" defying everything that came before
3) repeating the same themes as last season, plus a couple of old Trek movies on top of that
4) Coming on the heels of two disappointing previous season reveals that already pissed off a lot of folks. I'd be more forgiving if it was the first time they pulled this $#!?, but it isn't.

What lies and twist though? You seem to have a certainty that is will be Oros, which is why I bring up the Mephisto thing

The Tarka backstory did sap alot of the momentum from this episode but you're posting like you already know what's going to happen rather than speculating

I'm anxious about the species reveal too(which better happen at the top of the episode after being teased for so long) but I'm willing to wait until the actual reveal (hopefully) next week to actively be pissed or disappointed.

Jan 29, 2018
I doubt there will be the reveal of 10-C next week - they made a point of saying they're going to check out some planet with no life signs near 10-C's energy bubble before going to the bubble itself.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
What lies and twist though? You seem to have a certainty that is will be Oros, which is why I bring up the Mephisto thing

The Tarka backstory did sap alot of the momentum from this episode but you're posting like you already know what's going to happen rather than speculating

I'm anxious about the species reveal too(which better happen at the top of the episode after being teased for so long) but I'm willing to wait until the actual reveal (hopefully) next week to actively be pissed or disappointed.

I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong - but I've gone from speculating to completely convinced - there's no other way I can see the writers introducing and then concluding the Oros plot thread otherwise. And again, the show has done this before, more than once. I felt the same kinda way when I realized the Red Angel had to be Burnham. It doesn't help that I already came out of episode 10 disappointed in them spinning their wheels - but realizing where it almost certainly fits with the rest of the season just compounded that disappointment because it spits on everything that came before.

And yeah, I consider the writers setting up species 10C as unlike anything we've ever seen only to twist reveal that it's Oros pulling a Star Trek: Insurrection and there being no Species 10C at all to be lying liars who lie (if it indeed happens that way).

But I'm also a little angry with myself for ever thinking Species 10C could be something new and different to Star Trek given they've already squandered every other mystery they've ever introduced.

I will happily eat crow and sing the show's praises if I'm wrong and they actually deliver - just right now I feel that we should ALL know better than to expect them to stick the landing by now.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
If they rush the ending and deal with the fallout of the events of this season off screen yet again, as these shows tend to do, then I will fault them for using up as much time on non-critical storylines as they did in this episode otherwise I appreciate the change of pace somewhat.

Oct 31, 2017
I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong - but I've gone from speculating to completely convinced - there's no other way I can see the writers introducing and then concluding the Oros plot thread otherwise. And again, the show has done this before, more than once. I felt the same kinda way when I realized the Red Angel had to be Burnham. It doesn't help that I already came out of episode 10 disappointed in them spinning their wheels - but realizing where it almost certainly fits with the rest of the season just compounded that disappointment because it spits on everything that came before.

And yeah, I consider the writers setting up species 10C as unlike anything we've ever seen only to twist reveal that it's Oros pulling a Star Trek: Insurrection and there being no Species 10C at all to be lying liars who lie (if it indeed happens that way).

But I'm also a little angry with myself for ever thinking Species 10C could be something new and different to Star Trek given they've already squandered every other mystery they've ever introduced.

I will happily eat crow and sing the show's praises if I'm wrong and they actually deliver - just right now I feel that we should ALL know better than to expect them to stick the landing by now.

That's what I'm saying, you're already convinced but we actually don't know yet lol

If Oros is the man behind the curtain, I'll be right with you.

but you know what? I like Sukal being behind the Burn. I thought it was freaky and unexpected not being a malicious act that had to be avenged or something like that.
And I thought the Red Angel was Micheal the first time we saw the Red Angel so that didn't upset me either.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for this cheesy show because I don't necessarily think it will "stick the landing" either at least in a way that will please a majority of the vocal fanbase but I still have hope and expectations that Species 10C is actually some freaky sci-fi shit

I doubt there will be the reveal of 10-C next week - they made a point of saying they're going to check out some planet with no life signs near 10-C's energy bubble before going to the bubble itself.

Ugh, good point.

I would like to see more of this new Astrolingustic Dr before first contact but I really hope we don't go another full episode without seeing these jokers

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I'm saying, you're already convinced but we actually don't know yet lol

Let me put it this way (and pardon the somewhat strained metaphor):

Say you have a friend of a friend who you know is a scumbag from prior experience. Somehow you get convinced to let him crash on your couch despite your better judgement. One day you wake up, and both him and your Xbox are gone.

Now, maybe this dude is taking your Xbox to go get fixed, or maybe he moved it to another room and went out to run errands. But your blood still boils because you know that the mostly likely scenario is that the scumbag took your Xbox.

Episode 10 felt like waking up to find the Xbox gone(though to a lesser degree of course). And trying to fully explain WHY I'm convinced Discovery is gonna drop the ball and have it be Oros is like trying to explain to an actual friend why you're convinced the scumbag stole your Xbox.

Oct 31, 2017
Let me put it this way (and pardon the somewhat strained metaphor):

Say you have a friend of a friend who you know is a scumbag from prior experience. Somehow you get convinced to let him crash on your couch despite your better judgement. One day you wake up, and both him and your Xbox are gone.

Now, maybe this dude is taking your Xbox to go get fixed, or maybe he moved it to another room and went out to run errands. But your blood still boils because you know that the mostly likely scenario is that the scumbag took your Xbox.

Episode 10 felt like waking up to find the Xbox gone(though to a lesser degree of course). And trying to fully explain WHY I'm convinced Discovery is gonna drop the ball and have it be Oros is like trying to explain to an actual friend why you're convinced the scumbag stole your Xbox.

Well, I do appreciate the metaphor and legit laughed out loud

I still think the friend is coming back with the xbox & if we're lucky they'll bring pizza, beer, and edibles

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I do appreciate the metaphor and legit laughed out loud

I still think the friend is coming back with the xbox & if we're lucky they'll bring pizza, beer, and edibles

Fair enough - and I hope you're right. I'm just preemptively justifying the raking over the coals the show and its writing are going to get from me if I turn out to be right and the reveal disappoints for the third season in a row. I'm fully aware that I've been more negative about media on this forum these last few weeks than usual, but while there's likely a debate around whether the level of such is warranted, that doesn't mean my reasoning why is wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I get the negativity surrounding the red angel, but the burn was an accident and I don't think most called it early on. I think the majority were saying it was the Borg or some other op alien race. I like that the burn was just a freak accident and that it was just a rescue mission at the end.

And so this season could go either way but I personally don't think Oros has anything to do with them

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
They literally Kes'ed one of them, which I thought was hilarious. This random crew member we didn't know needed to have his goodbye scene.

That got a good chuckle out of me as well. It's sad and funny that they could have cut that scene entirely and most probably wouldn't ever wonder what happened to the character, given how little focus he got.

Edit: come to think of it, I like Croenenburg's character more than I do 90% of the bridge crew, partially because it usually feels like he's the only person with any common sense. Him staying behind was originally my biggest disappointment of the episode before the rest of it happened.

Last edited:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I'm still loving this season overall, tbh. But I can appreciate why folks are mixed on the past few episodes. It doesn't really feel like the plot has stalled to me as much as it does for many other viewers, but it's there for me to a point, yeah.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

I was thinking more that 10-C is using Oros' knowledge for their own gains.

The line about Kayalise being a paradise is interesting. Maybe 10-C are from there (or yet another world) and almost stripped it clean so they have now moved on to this world.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
tbf the 10-c should be FAR beyond our knowledge, Oros shouldn't be able to understand them let alone help them. But then Q needed Janeway to save the continuum so

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't posted much this season here, but overall I'm enjoying it.

BUT, yeah, this Oros/10-c speculation has me shook. Ugh. I was looking forward to meeting a new advanced species and Discovery finally letting go of personal drama as main plot points.

I had to keep telling my partner throughout the episode that the Galactic Barrier is from TOS, but it doesn't make it less stupid that they brought it back. It's nonsense! But, whatever, it's Trek canon whether we like it or not and the DISCO writers obviously didn't want to let go of the "threat from outside the Milky Way" plot and so they had to deal with the barrier.

The show has gotten much better at the worldbuilding, VFXs, and its science fiction elements, but I just roll my eyes at the constant personal drama. I love Wilson Cruz, but Culber is such a useless character, and the quirkiness of some of the characters doesn't make up for the total lack of humor compared to the TNG era.

Prodigy has been such a delight and seeing it at the same time as this season of Discovery is jarring. I'm so ready to go back to a more episodic Trek show and hope SNW delivers on this.

Anyway, back to the mystery of 10-C: Please don't be Oros.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
In the novel Captain's Glory, it is theorized that the barrier was created by the first humanoid race 4 billion years ago to protect the Milky Way Galaxy from the Totality, a dark matter-based lifeform.

memory-alpha.fandom.com

Galactic barrier

The galactic barrier was an energy field composed of negative energy surrounding the rim of the Milky Way Galaxy. Invisible to both the naked eye and visual recording equipment at a distance, at close range the barrier shone with a purple- to pink-colored glow. No form of transmission was known...

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up on the three post-hiatus episodes, and yeah, it feels like a significant decline in quality over the last few. The casino episode felt like a bunch of filler episode tropes thrown together (for chrissakes, there's even SPACE BOXING in it, a clear indicator of a terrible sci-fi show episode going back decades) until in the very last minutes of the episode we finally get something interesting. The episode after that was marginally better but felt like it took forever to get to the one interesting bit in the whole thing, which was that the DMA could be recreated. And then The Galactic Barrier was mostly held up by the Book and Tarka stuff, even though yes, Tarka is not a great character and nothing in the flashbacks is really new or interesting, but it was still more interesting than everything else.

I don't want to belabour the point, because I wrote out a whole giant paragraph and realized no one wants to read why I don't like thing. But yeah, I'm kind of disappointed with how things have turned out, though it's not as bad as some of the stuff we've seen in the show. But I am beginning to think that maybe season 3 actually is better than this somehow.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The last 3 episodes have been a bore.

I just fastfoward to the parts where it looks like something is happening. Just get us to the big confrontation already. Don't care about Booker and Michael being at odds for that matter either.

as of now I would definitely say this is my least favorite season but maybe they will wow me yet.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
There will 100% be a mic drop moment of "Tarka and Oros caused the DMA." (ie caused the 10-C to get curious about something).
I'm really tired of this. I've long since been a Discovery defender but I can't tell you how badly I want this season to be over.

If season 1 is anything to go by, my expectations are really low for Picard. As for Oros being behind the DMA, I am legit quitting the show. They have an opportunity to show something interesting.