• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Eh, Peter B's journey in the movie was essentially discovering the responsibility of adulthood and realizing that he did in fact want to have kids.

His final scene with MJ pretty much tells you that they'll get back together and start a family.
In the terms of this movie: we leave him when he's committed to taking the leap, but we don't get to see whether or not he sticks the landing or even if his shoelaces are untied. There's nothing guaranteed in the ending he got except that he's going to jump.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Only gripe I have about this movie was the fight in Aunt May's house. There were 6 Spider-mans there but during the brawl with a villain, some Spiderman always conveniently "missing".

Kinda reminds me of Civil War in the airport fight where they barely make use of Vision.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Only gripe I have about this movie was the fight in Aunt May's house. There were 6 Spider-mans there but during the brawl with a villain, some Spiderman always conveniently "missing".

Kinda reminds me of Civil War in the airport fight where they barely make use of Vision.

What do you mean missing? I thought everyone was accounted for.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
For example, there's a scene where Peni being like "here i go!!" and then...nothing. Next scene showed other Spidey's fight instead. I think her character was the least featured during that brawl.

Oh. I thought you meant that "X-Spider-Man" could have ended the fight in an instant but they're just off screen twiddling their fingers.

But I agree the directors just seemed disinterested in Peni.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the terms of this movie: we leave him when he's committed to taking the leap, but we don't get to see whether or not he sticks the landing or even if his shoelaces are untied. There's nothing guaranteed in the ending he got except that he's going to jump.
The other part of the movie is that being Spider-Man if he gets knocked down he will get back up again. Peter was willing to jump, possibly fail, and get back up again.

He still has closure/better ending, it's just not a clear happy ever after.

Oh. I thought you meant that "X-Spider-Man" could have ended the fight in an instant but they're just off screen twiddling their fingers.

But I agree the directors just seemed disinterested in Peni.

I think they did more with her then Spider-Ham and Spider-Noir. The sheer fact her robot companion broke and she took the arm and swung it showing great feats of strength, determination, and loss.

I feel like she is being set up as a better character or to have her own movie/show/whatever.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the movie, though I find the "you don't want kids but you REALLY SHOULD" trope kinda annoying. Just let people be childless and happy.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Best Spider-Man movie. Best Stan Lee cameo </3. Quite possibly the best comic book movie. And more proof Spidey is the best cape of all time.

That was so so good. If you want to know what makes Spider-Man great, this is an 1:45 crash course in it.

Everything worked for me and I think just seeing the notes it hits makes me remember why it's one of the best forms of escapism -- the reflection of each character against the others in the story in a way that feels real.

What a fuckin 2018 for Spider-Man, seriously. Glad Stan's favourite gets this.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Watched it yesterday, this is legit my favorite marvel movie ever now, a 10. I don't even know what to say I just loved it.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was okay, Spider Noir, Ham, and Peni were severely underdeveloped. I also had to sit through two Christian propaganda movie trailers before the movie so that may have put me in a bad mood.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it with a couple friends, was amazing and by far the best movie of the year for me. Pretty easily beating out Infinity War and I loved Infinity War!

Going to take my nieces and nephews out to see it tomorrow. Also a pleasant surprise was the 3D. I'm not a huge fan of 3D movies because the effect doesn't always work out well for me. This was 3D perfection. Sony has a definite winner here.

Every movie I've seen in recent memory no matter how much I liked it I could walk away with at least a couple gripes about some parts of the movie. Not here. I could not come up with a single gripe I had walking out of the theater. Story, character development, jokes, soundtrack, art design, action, pacing... everything was on point.

Nov 13, 2017
Saw it. Solid 8/10. Noir, anime and pig were pointless. Also not crazy about how the Uncle became a martyr. Dude was evil!

The animation blew my mind.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it. Solid 8/10. Noir, anime and pig were pointless. Also not crazy about how the Uncle became a martyr. Dude was evil!

The animation blew my mind.

Well every Spider person seems to be destined to lose someone to motivate them into becoming greater. And yeah, the uncle was evil, but from the perspective of Miles he had only been evil for less than an hour. He had been a role model to Miles his entire life. Plus his last actions before being offed were to spare Miles and give him some words of encouragement. I personally don't have a problem with the way they martyr'd him. It added a bit more complexity to things rather than mirroring the plain old Uncle Ben story we've heard a million times.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Who got cards given to them in the theater?

I got Miles Spider-Man, Scorpion, and Peni Parker.

Not bad! I should see this movie 5 more times to collect them all! That'll show em!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Well every Spider person seems to be destined to lose someone to motivate them into becoming greater. And yeah, the uncle was evil, but from the perspective of Miles he had only been evil for less than an hour. He had been a role model to Miles his entire life. Plus his last actions before being offed were to spare Miles and give him some words of encouragement. I personally don't have a problem with the way they martyr'd him. It added a bit more complexity to things rather than mirroring the plain old Uncle Ben story we've heard a million times.
I wouldn't describe him as evil. Comic Aaron was evil. He had no love for Miles and his family. If he couldn't blackmail Miles into working for him he was gonna kill him. Movie Aaron still makes some questionable moral choices but the way he loves and cares about Miles shows that there was still some good in him.

Last edited:

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was okay, Spider Noir, Ham, and Peni were severely underdeveloped. I also had to sit through two Christian propaganda movie trailers before the movie so that may have put me in a bad mood.
You must've got the same trailer set I did. Boy those and the corny ass dog has to find his way back home trailer that was the worst set of trailers I might've ever seen.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Actually yeah, if I had to gripe about one thing it'd be the lack of good trailers. It just seemed like Disney and Sony used this as a dumping ground for whatever "meh" movie they had on the horizon.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just left my 3rd viewing and I'm confident saying this is a 10/10 without question. I literally do not have enough words to describe how perfect and incredible this film is, it's basically the pay off for spending my entire life obsessed with Spider-Man. Best Spider-Man film isn't enough, we need to be having the conversation about best superhero film of all time. It's a real strong contender.

What I will say - skip the 3D. I've seen it twice in 2D and once in 3D and the brightness reduction is a killing blow here, it really ruins the vibrance on display during sequences like the final fight. If you can find a 2D screening, that's the way to go.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Just got back and that was amazing. What a brilliant cacophony of animation. They blended the various styles together flawlessly and produced something wholly different. A masterpiece of animation.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is co-producing A Dog's Way Home. That trailer was some straight to DVD trash. I also got a Christian movie trailer.

I got both those trailers. The dog one was hysterical the scene with the cougar had the entire cinema howling. I thought the Christian movie was a parody. Talk about misjudging your audience

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of the Spider-Man movies, he's my favourite Marvel character, watched the animated series as a kid, and I loved every second of the game, but I just don't feel particularly compelled to see this. Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with the comics, so I'm not big of the Spider-verse idea. I'm sure it's good, but I'm in no hurry.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Has to be watched in Dolby vision gatt daaamn. Also as an oldera person there were so many damn feels having my age range Peter Parker on the screen being a mentor and what not. All the spiders were dope but underdeveloped. Luckily I read the spiderverse comics as they dropped and had some additional info to round them out.

I got those bogus ass trailers too

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What a great movie! It's really a love letter to all things Spider-Man. It's meta without wearing out it's welcome and even "mainline" Peter Parker in Miles' universe seems to have just enough tweaked to just play with the iconography and Spider-Man as not just a character but an idea. Miles is very much his own person yet he got to have such a Spider-Man story and they just nailed the theme of how anyone could be a Spider-Man/Woman. They all suffer loss and sometimes it's while trying to do their best. To see even Spider-Ham had that sort of core of the character despite being a cartoon parody hit me like "damn". I even got emotional seeing the first Peter Parker die despite barely being on-screen because he was just pure Spider-Man like they took all the essence we already knew about the characters and just threw us right into watching him fight, then the way he talks to Miles you can really believe that even though they just met that they realized they had a connection and Peter's such a good guy and I could feel Miles' motivation for wanting to keep his promise to him and be inspired by him; cool like his uncle, good like his dad. They really nailed the core characters and their interactions to where I just wanted to see even more of them. Even getting a glimpse of an amazing MJ and Aunt May left me wanting more.

The animation and style was great, it was hilarious, emotional, beautiful, it's just such a fresh movie that I'm so glad it exists.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The most surprising thing about this movie for me was that it manages to be a story about 3 Spider-Mans, not just 2.

Miles, Peter.B.Parker and Blonde Peter Parker. For a character that died early in the movie, the story manages to make the 3 of them central in different ways that establishes B. as the flawed mirror of an older Peter that lost his way, the dead Peter as the idealised Spidey of his prime that left behind a legacy and Miles, whom succeeds Dead Peter, but not in a way that is a simple story of succession, but one that combines his learnings from his uncle, what he knows of Blonde Peter and what he learns from B.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
My second viewing tonight really strengthened my opinion of the film. I'm really loving it, and it's easily becoming my favorite Spider-Man film. The scene of Miles finally take that leap of faith, and seeing him get his own comic book cover is probably my highlight of the movie. Plus the look of him with the hoodie and the basketball shorts is really nice too.

Oct 27, 2017
Good movie. The general arc is maybe a bit conventional but it works with everything else being so crazy and also an origin story.
I left the movie wanting more, which is a good sign. Especially with Spider Gwen. She's basically hanging out with an alternate reality version of her dead friend and I thought that didn't get enough time.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely adored the first like 7/8ths of the film but I felt it became a bit paint by numbers at the end, along with some story beats rushed to resolution but I really enjoyed it. I didn't actually watch the post-credits scenes because I... couldn't be bothered to wait! So the talk of 2099 was confusing until I googled hah. Part of me would like this to exist in a vaccum where it just stays great without sequels and spin offs affecting it but I'm glad they're taking some risks (whilst admittedly just leveraging a popular property).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so nervous if they ever make a sequel. I enjoyed this so much and I'll be so disappointed if the sequel(s) don't live up. That art style is one of a kind.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just got back from this, and thought it was fantastic! Solid 8.5/10

The animation is super unique and I loved it - but I definitely had the 'have I accidentally walked into a 3D showing?' thought cross my mind in the first few minutes. I don't know if I ever entirely adjusted to the misaligned/blurry backgrounds tbh. I want to see it again, because I'm sure there was a lot of stuff going on that my eyes were having trouble tracking.

As far as the characters go - Miles was awesome. I don't read comics so the only exposure I've had to him before now is with the Insomniac game, and goddamn is he so much better in this! Incredibly likeable, and I loved his arc over the course of the movie. Old Peter was great as well, and the only real complaint I have about Gwen is that there just wasn't enough of her. I honestly didn't get much out of Noir, Ham and Peni, and can't help but think their inclusion just takes time away that could have been better spent developing the main three.

The villains were a little shallow overall, but I'd love to see more of this Doc Ock! She was great.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm generally disinterested in Marvel movies but go to see them occasionally for some forgettable fun if those ones specifically appeal to me, or my partner wants to take me to one - I've been watching more recently like Black Panther and Infinity War which were fun nonsense. This movie on the other hand was fucking rad as hell and blew away any other Marvel movie I've seen. The style and format felt so much better suited to telling this kind of story, which in itself was way more interesting and memorable to me than Amazing Spider-Man, which I've already almost entirely forgotten. Loved the characters and how they'd changed from your usual Spiderman template. The pig character didn't work for me but I see what they were going for, otherwise this is definitely the best comic book movie I've seen. Salivating at the thought of rewatching it in a few months in HDR...

Status
Not open for further replies.