• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Armpit webs, red and black suit, jk simmons, full mindfuck mysterio, it's like they've been peeking at my diary for the last 10 years. 11/10 would jameson again

JK Simmons cannot be beat, Marvel has accepted the only truth.

Don't want mysterio dead though but that one seems easy to write out of
Comic book movies need to stop treating villains as one-offs, stop killing them. The best thing Homecoming did was keep Vulture alive.

Uneasy about them revealing Peter's ID and what that means for what storylines they can or cannot do now

Last edited:

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
One lame complaint I have is that I wish there were more scenes of Spider-Man beating up goons.

Weird they cut the scene of him doing just that and talking to the cops that was in the trailer.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Everything to do with the glasses was stupid as shit and soured my opinion on the films plot tbh

But they did a better job of balancing Peter's life with his spiderman duties in here as opposed to homecoming and Gylenhaal became entertaining when he had his heel turn

That end scene with him swinging around with MJ makes me yearn for them to make a spiderman movie set in the metropolis areas of New York once more tho. Hopefully the third one

I like some individual parts but as a whole this might be the worst MCU movie I've seen since like...avengers 2. Great idea reappropriating the idea of Mysterio in this universe tho.

Last edited:

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Can Peter even go to school anymore? What's the point of a young dude playing him if school is off the table. I'd assume not, given the theme and cast of last two films. Will the school be maximum security now?

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can Peter even go to school anymore? What's the point of a young dude playing him if school is off the table. I'd assume not, given the theme and cast of last two films. Will the school be maximum security now?
Yeah I'm curious to see how they handle this moving forward, I'd be a little bummed if in the next one they set up Pete just trying to disprove he's spiderman rather then embracing it in the public.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I have a terrifying thought. Now that everyone in the MCU knows Parker's secret, they have opened the door for SM3 to be based on One More Day. Now I'm sad.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Eh with the amount of tech they have at their disposal at shield and shit they can easily help parker disprove that hes spiderman and have it released publicly to news media if the story wills it

Aug 27, 2018
Guys, I have a terrifying thought. Now that everyone in the MCU knows Parker's secret, they have opened the door for SM3 to be based on One More Day. Now I'm sad.
This is my biggest worry, but I think they're smarter than that. It's pretty much public knowledge that One More Day is THE WORST Spider-Man story ever...right? Right?

Oct 25, 2017
Eh with the amount of tech they have at their disposal at shield and shit they can easily help parker disprove that hes spiderman and have it released publicly to news media if he wills it
Maybe they brought the Skrulls back in this movie for another reason besides being recently featured characters

Peter could meet Spider-man in the next one
JJ could be forced to issue a retraction and begrudgingly offer a job seeking Parker a low paying job as an apology

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
He seemed to not have it at any moment during Homecoming. The first evidence we saw of it was the bus scene in IW.
I'd say this is the first evidence.

original.gif

Plus he says to Tony that his senses have been dialed up to 11.

They've had to develop, and it was really downplayed if he even had them in Homecoming, but he's had them since the beginning.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
This is my biggest worry, but I think they're smarter than that. It's pretty much public knowledge that One More Day is THE WORST Spider-Man story ever...right? Right?

There's not a chance in hell Feige would allow One More Day to happen, at least as it is in the comics. Mephisto doesn't work as a straight up Spidey villain unless the movie is a Dr. Strange/Spider-Man team-up movie, which they won't do. If they ever did have Peter do a Faustian deal, it would probably be trading something to bring Tony back to life, or Uncle Ben or something.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mysterio illusion section with Spidey was the most comic book/90s show thing ever and visually striking.. which more of the movie was like this. Rest of the movie was pretty typical MCU action stuff. Overall I enjoyed my time with it.

That scene with JJJ woke me up though, fuck I want to see that movie.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Eh with the amount of tech they have at their disposal at shield and shit they can easily help parker disprove that hes spiderman and have it released publicly to news media if the story wills it
They could but just like in real life with how the far right is in America no matter what peter does to "prove" he is not spider man millions of people will believe it's fake news and Jamison is the only one telling the truth, it's kind of funny because he is and shield trying to cover it up is some reverse real life shit were Alex Jones is right and it's a government cover up lol. I kind of don't want marvel to do the story that way because I fear the real life conspiracy nut jobs will see it as Disney is on "there" side. They should lean into the fact that a "news" source just put a 16 year old kid in serious danger just for a headline. If they are going to add the real life fake news thing into the story, and it looks like that's the plan they need to be really careful how they do it.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a blast and pure fun.

With SWORD and Sony want to shove Venom and S6 in our asses, phase 4 gonna be nuts.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this more than Homecoming (good film). Just great film and pacing overall.

I didn't know there was a fucking post ending scene...

My mind was blown by the Peter Parker reveal.
We're 23 movies in, been doing this for 11 years, how on earth do people still not know there are stingers after the credits of Marvel movies

Guess you'll just have to see it again! ;p

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the Mysterio team continued to use Beck's persona, almost like wearing Quinten as a mask. Making Mysterio an actual complete illusion through and through now that the man himself no longer exists. An avatar for whatever future machinations.
Would be an interesting interpretation of the character. Kind of a neat way to have their cake and eat it. A Mysterio could still exist, as a puppet/disguise for a team of criminals.
dldnLiO.gif

Could even be a neat double twist, revealing that he survived and then revealing that...he really didn't.

Of course they wouldn't want to just have a repeat of this movie so maybe they could fit the idea into a future sinister six or other villain team up movie. Revealing his "survival" toward the beginning and then revealing the truth at the end when they're all getting caught.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man starts the first chapter of the MCU by outing himself.
Spidey starts the second by getting outed.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I'll say is that they never give Aunt May anything to do in these movies. It's actually kinda sad. They're just going to continue the "Aunt May is hot" jokes.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now that we've gone Full Mysterio, I want them to continue digging deep into Spidey lore and give another underused villain his due.

We gotta get The Jackal in one of these movies.

(I know what you're gonna say. We'd need them to do the whole Gwen dies thing again. But I don't think we'll see that as they already blew that in the failed Amazing reboot. And I want to see Jackal now after seeing what they did with Mysterio.)

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Imagine if the Mysterio team continued to use Beck's persona, almost like wearing Quinten as a mask. Making Mysterio an actual complete illusion through and through now that the man himself no longer exists. An avatar for whatever future machinations.
Would be an interesting interpretation of the character. Kind of a neat way to have their cake and eat it. A Mysterio could still exist, as a puppet for a team of criminals.

Could even be a neat double twist, revealing that he survived and then revealing that...he really didn't.

I like it!

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie when I saw the tombstone I thought it was gonna say Ben Parker. Kinda disappointed it didn't go there, but I understand that wasn't what the movie had set up at all. I wish Peter had talked about Ben to Mysterio in the bar in relation to having lost people. Like Tony isn't the first time he's lost his father figure that has a connection to his being Spider-Man.

But Ben is worse because Peter feels directly responsible for it. I'm surprised they didn't want to get into how that conflicts with Pete's desire to not step up. His whole reason to keep being Spider-Man is cause he didn't step up once and lost everything in return.

Again, I get that the Tony angle plays way better with it being a part of the MCU. Civil War and Homecoming sets the whole relationship up, Endgame just came out, he's part of Mysterio's motivation, etc. It's smart storytelling to do it that way. I fucking love the MCU and how it mimics the interconnected world of the source material. But I think I'm ready for some Uncle Ben shit now. I just want to hear them say the damn line already! It's been long enough! They gotta throw it out in the next one.

However, fuck all that cause this movie has a perfect Mysterio. I can't believe how hard they nailed Mysterio. I cannot wait to see this again just for the illusion scenes. I could've watched a whole movie of those visuals. And man when Gyllenhaal puts on the glasses and the whole audience is thinking what Peter's thinking "Jesus Christ, it's Tony Stark", my god. Tom Holland acted the shit out of that moment. In fact, he acted the shit out of the whole movie. Best Peter Parker / Spider-Man. Bar none. (I know not much real competition)

And I haven't read through the whole thread, but I assume someone pointed out that the title of the OT ends up describing both Iron Man and Mysterio right? I love that shit.

Would be an interesting interpretation of the character. Kind of a neat way to have their cake and eat it. A Mysterio could still exist.

This is such a good idea, I'll be disappointed if they don't do it! I could see them having the bald dude that Iron Monger yelled at be the man behind the curtain now.

One thing that I'll say is that they never give Aunt May anything to do in these movies. It's actually kinda sad. They're just going to continue the "Aunt May is hot" jokes.

She came up with the Peter Tingle! (I don't disagree but am also fine with it)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In retrospect, Peter asking Fury about Captain Marvel and Fury's irritated/anxious response to it makes a lot more sense in the context of the post-credits scene.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
This was fantastic. Mysterio is my favorite spidey villain, and they nailed the illusory sequence midway through.

My hope is that if Fury is building something off-world, that it might be a potential S.W.O.R.D. space station.

My only gripe is that I want more Manhattan web slinging, but if they give me full on Spidey vs. Green Goblin in Manahttan in 3, then we're good.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this last night and really enjoyed it, more so than Homecoming. Couple of questions I wasn't sure on though:

1) What's up with his Spidey-sense (tingle)? They made a point to highlight it's not really working, like with the banana thrown by May. Is it still developing? Is it hindered by his current turmoil over the loss of Tony?

2) Was the Fury in the London base (that was really faked) real? Or was he part of the illusion? I thought he had been duped too at first, but I think I misread the scene?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I agree that it isn't going to be Vulture. I don't even think MCU Vulture would voluntarily work with a group of villains to kill Spider-Man. That would feel a little out of character for him. If the leader kidnapped Liz and forced him to, that would work.

I think it has to be Doc Ock. You need a top tier classic Spidey villain to lead the Sinister Six and Green Goblin has been overdone at this point. I'm hoping for Doc Ock as the villain in Spidey 3 with a post-credits scene of JJJ hiring and funding Mac Gargan's transformation into Scorpion and that could lead right into Spider-Man vs The Sinister Six.
1. Doc Ock
2. Mysterio
3. Scorpion
4. Chameleon? - easy to introduce
5. Vulture
6. Shocker

Starting to think they might do the Sinister Six in more than one movie, perhaps a trilogy unto itself. It might have too many moving parts for a single movie.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
2) Was the Fury in the London base (that was really faked) real? Or was he part of the illusion? I thought he had been duped too at first, but I think I misread the scene?

My take was that it was a double layered setup to make peter cough up who knew about him. He tricked him that Fury was the only real part of the scene from the beginning so it would be more believable at the end. Very cool.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My take was that it was a double layered setup to make peter cough up who knew about him. He tricked him that Fury was the only real part of the scene from the beginning so it would be more believable at the end. Very cool.

Ah I didn't make the connection between Fury then showing up to save the day but not really (that makes total sense, thanks!).

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
It was touched upon but I felt like it was glossed over a bit, and confusing actually.
Yeah, I found it confusing. So Flash and co did all happen to get dusted too? And the Asian guy was five years younger than them before the blip? They didn't make it totally clear. I just rolled with it!

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, I found it confusing. So Flash and co did all happen to get dusted too? And the Asian guy was five years younger than them before the blip? They didn't make it totally clear. I just rolled with it!

It's implied that everyone in Pete's class, except Pete's rival, for MJ got dusted.

edit: Don't know about Cindy Moon, who appeared in his class in Homecoming but isn't in the movie now.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

As far as I understood, that one guy was the only one who did not get dusted, is now 5 years older than them but they are all having to redo the same school year together despite the age difference.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Saw it last night....

By far the best MCU movie, and best Spiderman movie. Topped Captain Marvel and Thor: Ragnarock for me.

It was that good.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jameson as a character has a pretty broad range of characterizations. If you go back to the Lee/Ditko years, especially, he's a pretty one-dimensionally nasty piece of work, and the core concept of him having a thoroughly irrational hatred of Spider-Man has stuck even over decades of writers trying to portray him as more of a sincere and even principled journalist.
Ohh. Then i stand corrected, sorry.
I agree that it isn't going to be Vulture. I don't even think MCU Vulture would voluntarily work with a group of villains to kill Spider-Man. That would feel a little out of character for him.
I'd go a step further. And say MCU Vulture would probably actively try to stop them.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So the movies didn't address much about 5 years thing?

It's brought up soon as the movie starts basically and intermittently mentioned throughout. There seemed to be a big air of "it happened, its over, don't worry about it anymore guys, were moving on" message to the audience haha. Also partly cause they are teenagers and kinda get over things quick was the vibe it also gave off.

I'd imagine we will hear more takes from it with other characters maybe, but if this is their tone in Spider-Man, I'm betting the rest will move on quickly as well.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's brought up soon as the movie starts basically and intermittently mentioned throughout. There seemed to be a big air of "its over, don't worry about it anymore guys, were moving on" message to the audience haha. Also partly cause they are teenagers and kinda get over things quick was the vibe it also gave off.

It's probably for the best, or they'd end up with an entire universe with the same tone as The Leftovers.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this version of Spider-man can't let go of Tony Stark and have now supplanted Uncle Ben in his favor.

Tony Stark's death is still fresh. Also, all this Tony Stark imagery and stuff keeps getting thrown in his face.

So the multiverse stuff ended up being a whole ruse huh. At least for now?

Also it seems they cut out the part about Nick Fury talking about Thanos' snap and the multiverse or elementals or whatever from the trailer?

There is a multiverse, as confirmed in Doctor Strange and Endgame. Just because Beck lied about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So if Maria and Fury were Skrulls, how did Talos know Happy's secret code?

That final end credits just seemed unnecessary.

Happy's code was child's play. Like, way too easy to figure out.

It would have been better if he had actually murdered one of them and then gotten them to work for him under threat of using EDITH to drone strike their ass. Would have really sold me more on him being "unhinged".

Also, is there any explanation on how this guy could have had such a high profile position at Stark Industries and yet nobody recognized him? Fury and Friends just bought this guy's multiverse story without even bothering to check that?

Fury was not Fury.

I really would have liked a stronger motive besides "he's unhinged" for Mysterio wanting to be a hero. Plus all the chumps that go along with him, I have no clue what they get out of following him. Them all just going along with the plan shifting from "let's fake a superhero" to "let's kill these kids who are in the way" is something alright.

The chumps are disgruntled former Stark employees looking to get some money and power of their own. They felt like Stark stepped on them to achieve what he did, so they are taking their rightful place. And also getting rich.

They were always going to kill people. They already had with the previous elementals.

Were there any "Aunt May is hot" jokes this time? It was more "Aunt May is secretly dating Happy" jokes. Plus, she doesn't do nothing. They have her heading up a charity for those that are displaced and homeless after returning from the blip. Seems like a big deal to me.

Just watched this last night and really enjoyed it, more so than Homecoming. Couple of questions I wasn't sure on though:

1) What's up with his Spidey-sense (tingle)? They made a point to highlight it's not really working, like with the banana thrown by May. Is it still developing? Is it hindered by his current turmoil over the loss of Tony?

The spider-sense has, in most incarnations, been a warning of imminent danger, whether in a general sense or directly feeding Spidey's reflexes so he can dodge bullets and shit. A banana is not imminent danger.

The Fury in London was not part of the illusion. That's why Beck tried to kill him. The Fury that picked up Peter so Peter could expose Mysterio was fake, however.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
As far as I understood, that one guy was the only one who did not get dusted, is now 5 years older than them but they are all having to redo the same school year together despite the age difference.

I think Pete's rival was from a much earlier grade pre-snap, otherwise he would be in college already.