• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Peter's identity is known. Jonah would never hire him, Peter will forever have a role with the Avengers and Stark Industries unless the company goes under or worst gets bought out. There is just no logical reason for Peter to interact with Jonah besides Jonah engaging with Peter to showcase of why he's a menace to society. Jonah character is great because he does have general good points, he's a bit of a hypocrite or is usually plain wrong, but he is a general good guy that creates an obstacle for Peter public reception. Which is why we get the fakeout with Peter "revealing his identity" and then cue him being outed. Tony had the character, intelligence, courage, and wealth to reveal he is Iron Man. Peter is no where near that level, and now he is going to have to face the worst of news media. Which is why having Jonah now is more important then ever for this story angle the writers want to go for.
If you read previous posts, I said that I wished that hadn't revealed his identity so soon. Obviously now that his identity none this will ever happen.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a hint that any character in this movie other than the bad guys were in any mortal danger whatsoever.

I mean, Prague sequence does a good job of showing people in danger. The thing is that the final Elemental scene is Peter stopping the illusion before it causes mass damage so yeah asides from the secondary characters, no one is going to be in mortal danger because that's the whole point of the climax.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
EDITH says "All of the illusions have been deactivated/terminated." It's very easy to have Mysterio program something into EDITH that claims he's dead as a fail-safe that covers for him faking his death. He's all about illusions, so it's easy to retcon him being alive if Jake is signed on for more movies.

He doesn't need the illusions to fake his death.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that Spider-Man's a wanted man, Peter should just officially take on the Night Monkey persona.
Motherfucker. You almost made me spit my drink out. 🤣
Never forget in Spider-Man 1 when he didn't sell out Peter.

Or in Spider-Man 2 when he was genuinely sad that he thought he drove Spider-Man away.

SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!
He doesn't need the illusions to fake his death.
The kids these days don't know about practical FX.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, in the Spiderman game by insomniac he literally lied while on the Bugle that "Spiderman killed cops" which made Peter leave the Bugle.

They distinctively styled the Bugle after InfoWars. I think this version of JJ is going to be the "conspiracy nutter" type they had in the PS4 game.
But at least it was able to give Peter that personal connection to JJJ. As it stands, JJJ is just going to be a random nutcase saying stuff so it's not as conflicting.

The background is a dead ringer for one of those alt-right youtube shows. And like...no. After that performance I would not like him to be redeemable. I don't care if it feels a classic Spider-Man role in your heart, if they invoke alt-right imagery, it's on them to follow it through. I do not need people telling the vile alt-right that they have a point, or they are redeemable. No, fuck that. Let it be drilled into their heads till the end of time that their vile disgusting ways are never any more than the scum of the earth.
What are you even talking about lmao

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The background is a dead ringer for one of those alt-right youtube shows. And like...no. After that performance I would not like him to be redeemable. I don't care if it feels a classic Spider-Man role in your heart, if they invoke alt-right imagery, it's on them to follow it through. I do not need people telling the vile alt-right that they have a point, or they are redeemable. No, fuck that. Let it be drilled into their heads till the end of time that their vile disgusting ways are never any more than the scum of the earth.
giphy.gif

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Other than literally killing characters, how would these juicy steaks be represented?
Adding a bit more menace to Mysterio's character, toning back the teen comedy/goofiness slightly, a more suspenseful score. Again, just a personal preference I'm here trying to discuss the movie not start a flame war.
Peter's entire class barely escaped the bus before it was destroyed and MJ, Ned, Betty, Flash, and Happy were moments from being massacred by Drones.

But I knew they'd be fine because the movie already established with its tone that the stakes weren't that high. So no suspense there. Same with the scene with the group in the room where the drone was cutting in.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
They did my boy proud. I cannot express how happy it makes me to have Mysterio in a film, not only with a comic accurate look, but down to him being a complete shitbag and con man.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else see in the mid-credits scene the construction board in the background had Phase 1, 2, 3 what comes next?

Im sure lots of people saw it but it was the first Easter egg I remember being in theatres and being like "Hey, I get that!"

Great movie though. Not sure how I feel about the reveal of his identity but everything else was great. Wish we got more MJ-Peter though

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Tony Stark did Peter Parker no favors. In the first movie, he gets a suit that can be overridden to kill people, in this one, he gets glasses from Tony that can send out killer drones!! It's like if a father went hunting with his son and went "Hey son! You're really responsible with that rifle. Here's an AK47 and bazooka!"

Also,all this chaos on Peter's life would not have happened if Tony never gave him those glasses. Mysterio would have been happy being a fake Iron Man and would have eventually been found out by Nick Fury.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Would have been nice if they had used Ricochet or one of the other hero names Peter went by in the comics temporarily instead of that dumb Night Monkey joke

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Mysterio went full super-villain in a few scenes, too. He was nastier than his 616 counterpart (minus Guardian Devil).

While they could have done a little more with the "Stark called me insane" angle with his depiction, I agree he was pretty menacing. Threatening to shoot his own crew and willing to murder innocents to keep his plan intact is pretty Super Villain.

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. Illusion sequence may be my favorite of the MCU movies, you get a real sense of Mysterio's abilities.

Do we know how many movies Gyllenhal signed up for? Cuz Mysterio needs to come back.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So the multiverse stuff ended up being a whole ruse huh. At least for now?

Also it seems they cut out the part about Nick Fury talking about Thanos' snap and the multiverse or elementals or whatever from the trailer?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But at least it was able to give Peter that personal connection to JJJ. As it stands, JJJ is just going to be a random nutcase saying stuff so it's not as conflicting.

What are you even talking about lmao

JJJ in Far From Home is portrayed as a deranged alt-right alt-news host. As such I do not want the comic's more redeemable traits to be in this version. Make him a truly despicable human being and drill it in the third movie that his ilk deserve no sympathy for any pain that comes his way.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The movie would be over in under two minutes lol
It's true, but they'd have to change some things from the story we got so he wouldn't be able to help with the climax fight and so he'd only appear where it made sense, and there are lots of places where it would make sense like in London where the Sanctum is or because Beck is a multiuniversal magic user fighting elemental beings from another multiverse.

Just have Peter stop by the Sanctum like Hulk did for the Ancient One in Endgame. Have him stop by and ask about Beck and Strange can't leave but from what Peter says, he can point him in the right direction. They could have figured out something.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
So if Maria and Fury were Skrulls, how did Talos know Happy's secret code?

That final end credits just seemed unnecessary.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true, but they'd have to change some things from the story we got so he wouldn't be able to help with the climax fight and so he'd only appear where it made sense, and there are lots of places where it would make sense like in London where the Sanctum is or because Beck is a multiuniversal magic user fighting elemental beings from another multiverse.

Just have Peter stop by the Sanctum like Hulk did for the Ancient One in Endgame. Have him stop by and ask about Beck and Strange can't leave but from what Peter says, he can point him in the right direction. They could have figured out something.

How would Peter get to Dr. Strange? He's a kid on a school trip.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJJ in Far From Home is portrayed as a deranged alt-right alt-news host. As such I do not want the comic's more redeemable traits to be in this version. Make him a truly despicable human being and drill it in the third movie that his ilk deserve no sympathy for any pain that comes his way.
Show me were in the film he's a white supremacist ? (because that's what Alt Right means) This JJ is just even more Tabloid then was when his was a newsman.

So relax.
So if Maria and Fury were Skrulls, how did Talos know Happy's secret code?
He didn't. That was the joke.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
That was such an oh shit moment lol
It would have been better if he had actually murdered one of them and then gotten them to work for him under threat of using EDITH to drone strike their ass. Would have really sold me more on him being "unhinged".

Also, is there any explanation on how this guy could have had such a high profile position at Stark Industries and yet nobody recognized him? Fury and Friends just bought this guy's multiverse story without even bothering to check that?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It would have been better if he had actually murdered one of them and then gotten them to work for him under threat of using EDITH to drone strike their ass. Would have really sold me more on him being "unhinged".

They may not have wanted to make him irredeemable, or unlikable. So they can have him threatening people but not pull the trigger. I don't think he kills anyone, when in the real world he'd have plenty of casualties with the Water Elemental alone. As well as making the tone super dark. Then again, Vulture killed a guy on camera, so who knows.

Also, is there any explanation on how this guy could have had such a high profile position at Stark Industries and yet nobody recognized him? Fury and Friends just bought this guy's multiverse story without even bothering to check that?

He might have been semi-famous in his field and tech circles while a nobody to anyone else. But yeah, that's likely a plot hole you have to ignore.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
But are you actually reading what you're saying? Just because the news segment might have an "alt-news" aesthetic doesn't make JJJ a vile alt-right POS. That version of JJJ has no place in the MCU and would be a disservice to his character.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show me were in the film he's a white supremacist ? (because that's what Alt Right means) This JJ is just even more Tabloid then was when his was a newsman.

So relax.

He didn't. That was the joke.

Please don't make me go into the alt-right youtubers to show proof but everything involving that scene is indicative of a particular alt-right alt-news show. Please please please don't demand I go and find which one because that is extremely traumatizing for me and I think it's either Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro. it is literally copied and pasted from that format. Even the background is nearly identical. They are clearly invoking that particular alt-right format. They are associated him with that.

I can't...I can't even believe I need to explain this. It's clear copying of an alt-right news show. And the last thing I need are the fucking freaks who sent me to near suicide being validated by being portrayed in one of the largest movie franchises as redeemable or good.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
saw a clip of the mid credits scene, really playing up the Alex Jones conspiracy stuff with J Jonah Jameson. that's actually pretty clever

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
He's a boisterous radio/talkshow host. That doesn't make him alt-right or even the same breed of conspiracy nut.

Even if he's a parody of an Alex Jones type, that doesn't make JJJ everything that Alex Jones is, it's just modernizing who he'd be in this world where newspapers just aren't what they used to be and someone screaming on the television about what a menace Spider-Man is just is more believable than big newpaper headlines on the street corner swaying the public.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But are you actually reading what you're saying? Just because the news segment might have an "alt-news" aesthetic doesn't make JJJ a vile alt-right POS. That version of JJJ has no place in the MCU and would be a disservice to his character.

That's the version they used in the PS4 game.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The MCU JJJ and Daily Bugle obviously take inspiration from the Alex Jones/Info Wars aesthetic, but there was nothing to show that he's alt-right.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. They've just turned up his sensationalism to 11.
Please don't make me go into the alt-right youtubers to show proof but everything involving that scene is indicative of a particular alt-right alt-news show. Please please please don't demand I go and find which one because that is extremely traumatizing for me and I think it's either Alex Jones or Ben Shapiro. it is literally copied and pasted from that format. Even the background is nearly identical. They are clearly invoking that particular alt-right format. They are associated him with that.

I can't...I can't even believe I need to explain this. It's clear copying of an alt-right news show. And the last thing I need are the fucking freaks who sent me to near suicide being validated by being portrayed in one of the largest movie franchises as redeemable or good.
Firstly. I'm sincerely, very sorry that happened to you.

But you're misreading the situation, and jumping the gun.

He's a tabloid blogger, nothing more.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the year 2019 we got a Mysterio movie and it was fucking brilliant. I mean they fucking nailed Beck. Best MCU villain.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I genuinely wonder if the second post-credits scene was done in reshoots because Fury and Maria Hill came off as incompetent in the movie after they had already shot most of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Adding a bit more menace to Mysterio's character, toning back the teen comedy/goofiness slightly, a more suspenseful score. Again, just a personal preference I'm here trying to discuss the movie not start a flame war.

But I knew they'd be fine because the movie already established with its tone that the stakes weren't that high. So no suspense there. Same with the scene with the group in the room where the drone was cutting in.

Just because WE knew none of them would die doesn't mean they weren't in danger lol.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely wonder if the second post-credits scene was done in reshoots because Fury and Maria Hill came off as incompetent in the movie after they had already shot most of it.

No way. It leaves Fury in a spot that's way too consequential to be just a late addition.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so since the Kree coming back and Fury being out in space seem like really big plot points for the MCU's next phase.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like that they gave him a HUGE power boost at the end with him mastering his spidey sense, he's become one of the few cinematic comic characters that actually match or exceed the comic version in power.

This is a Spidey that I can actually see dismantling the entire X-Men like he did in Secret Wars.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Fury was Talos, so he wouldn't have known even *if* he had met Stark's people. But Fury wouldn't have met all the random scientists that work for Stark Enterprises and he no longer has access to the SHIELD databases or any actual Gov't power.

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver
Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it! The Spider-Man movies show life for the average person in the MCU in a way that none of the other movies do.
The whole cast is great but Happy was a joy to watch in what I think is his best showing so far.
Obviously that mid-credits scene was amazing and I think everyone in my theatre was shocked by Simmons' JJJ popping up.
I loved Homecoming and the sequel to Far From Home better come quick, as it's my most anticipated sequel!