• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

I know some peeps said it was CGI. But I guess we should not doubt Insomniac at this point.

Trailer again for reference:

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
It's insomniac, it could've been a live action feature and they could've said it was in-game and I would still believe them.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It looked good. Kinda wonder what the deal was with that wolverine trailer now
It is early days

Even though Marvel's Wolverine is very early in development, from what I've seen of its emotional narrative and cutting-edge gameplay (see what I did there?), the team is already creating something truly special.
blog.playstation.com

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and Marvel’s Wolverine revealed

Veteran developer Insomniac Games creating two new titles for PlayStation 5 consoles.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The trailer looks astonishing and it's good to have confirmation the demo was running in real time. After all the Uncharted 4 teaser was captured on PS4 back in the day and didn't really run in real time. So "captured on XY" doesn't mean a awful lot.

I am confident Insomniac can reach or even surpass the level of graphics shown here in 2023. The vertical slice specifically created for the trailer looked really good.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Even if it's just cutscene, that bodes really well for the graphics lol. I think the environments will get a nice upgrade.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I completely wrote it off as cgi lol im actually shocked and excited about what the generation actually have in store for us

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It looked realistic to achieve for current gen, did people think it was CGI?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Even if it's just cutscene, that bodes really well for the graphics lol. I think the environments will get a nice upgrade.
I mean the demo is most likely created specifically for the trailer and a team worked on it. The whole game won't look like this yet, because it's ~2 years out at this point and games look awful 6+ months before release. Thus devs do those dedicated demos to show their vision and bar they want to reach later on.

But yes it bolds well and Insomniac usually reaches their graphical bar with their games. Can't wait to see more.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone think that was CGI lol? It's always pretty obvious to me when a game is running real time vs CGI. In this case it was clearly a real time cutscene.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Night time in the original was pretty underwhelming visually so it's good to see such a massive leap.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I bet some will find something to be concerned about though..

What a time we live in, crazy how good games are looking.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It looked in-engine to me and given it's next-gen only, well… sure.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
51441349649_74403e7a1kkku3.jpg

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's easy to tell when looking at the smoke right at the beginning. It has that half fps a lot of particles in games have

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I thought it was CGI simply by how far out the game is. I'm very impressed now
Developers usually create dedicated demos to show of the game. That's very likely not how the game looks right now and that's normal.

This is how games look during early development:

It's easy to tell when looking at the smoke right at the beginning. It has that half fps a lot of particles in games have
Yep and no RT reflections for the smoke. Those are small things that give it away. But still I am very impressed with the leap from MM to spiderman 2.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Developers usually create dedicated demos to show of the game. That's very likely not how the game looks right now and that's normal.

This is how games look during development:
Thats how *some* games look like during development. Really depends on the developer and their development process, and if it's their first game in a new engine or not. Since Miles Morales basically looks like this, I would bet the game looks this good now, just reusing Miles Morales' assets

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It said as much when the trailer started, just remains to be seen if they can apply the same level of quality to an open world (I'm going with yes).

The particles and motion blur look sweet as fuck. That smoke is delicious. The mood almost has texture to it, it's really great to see.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Is the lighting still baked or will we finally have dynamic time of day transitions in the open world though?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The VFX in specific were the highlight of the teaser, as the tweet says. Definitely far closer to CG visual effects work than ive seen in other games.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly why I wanted God of War and Horizon to be current gen only as well. They could have pushed the bar even further with both titles. Impressive stuff from Insomniac.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Game will look amazing if true, I do t understand the people that said here that this looks like it can be on current gen.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly why I wanted God of War and Horizon to be current gen only as well. They could have pushed the bar even further with both titles. Impressive stuff from Insomniac.
Both games started work on PS4 this did not, both also look really good. I dont understand what people want out of Horizon visually since to me it one best looking open world games.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of the last time Sony did a trailer that wasn't in-engine so I'm surprised people thought it was CG. When I saw this trailer I didn't register it as a supermassive leap from the Miles Morales reveal trailer at a casual glance, but then I hadn't gone back to watch that one since it first dropped. Obviously remains to be seen how much the full game will retain but the previous games already looked good so this is bound to look better.

Oct 25, 2017
Game will look amazing if true, I do t understand the people that said here that this looks like it can be on current gen.

They are insane and should go back and play the PS4 games and do a comparison. SM2 looked almost like CGI and a clear huge jump from the last gen games. The level of detail in that trailer was off the charts.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It looked good. Kinda wonder what the deal was with that wolverine trailer now

Wolverine is 3-5 years away, at least. Far too early for anything but a CG teaser.

I hope it's still baked, make it look as good as they possibly can.

With the SSD, it's possible they can combine both baked and dynamic lighting to achieve the highest possible fidelity. Very excited to see how they tackle the lighting, actually.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
User warned: Console war rhetoric
I don't doubt the game is running on PS5, either in-engine or real time, but could we use a source other than this console warrior?

Edit: I didn't see the dev's tweet. It seems a visit to the optician is in order 😅

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

You're comparing games meant to launch in year 1 vs. a game meant to launch at the mid point of the gen. Not to mention it takes time for studios to upgrade their engine and tools for a new console.

We already know Horizon is using additional lighting tech on PS5 that would not be possible on PS4 so we're getting upgraded experiences. Not to mention when Horizon and GoW launch they'll be some of the best looking games around. Lamenting that they could have looked better in some hypothetical scenario where there's no evidence to support that assertation is just silly IMO.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer looks astonishing and it's good to have confirmation the demo was running in real time. After all the Uncharted 4 teaser was captured on PS4 back in the day and didn't really run in real time. So "captured on XY" doesn't mean a awful lot.

I am confident Insomniac can reach or even surpass the level of graphics shown here in 2023. The vertical slice specifically created for the trailer looked really good.
For the UC4 teaser they never said "captured on PS4". They said "in engine".

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
With the SSD, it's possible they can combine both baked and dynamic lighting to achieve the highest possible fidelity. Very excited to see how they tackle the lighting, actually.
They're going to make it look great either way. Miles Morales was a step in the right direction and that was a cross-gen title. Current-gen target is going to do wonders for this game.