• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see another nurse in here, this thread is pretty depressing.
Yeah, it's really depressing. It's a pandemic killing people, and a lot of people here seem to see it as just yet another opportunity to mock and laugh.

Then you have nurses like you (thank you and all the other nurses in this thread for all the shit you're dealing with, especially during these times) speaking your perspective, and some people decide to not only double down on their views because they don't agree with you, but they even have the gall to be condescending about it.

Being condescending to nurses working on the front lines during covid. Really? Fucking really?

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely want to extend my thanks to any doctors, nurses, and all other related professions who may be lurking/reading the thread. I can't begin to imagine what that's like, and thank you for everything you do, and I sincerely wish you the best.

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way that I could be a medical professional in contact with these individuals and not at some point lean in real close and whisper "George Soros sends his regards"

While some of my peers have issues and feel apathy, i'm glad none of then would even think something so disgusting and sad,. They might think covid is fake, but you also think it's impact is a joke.

What a miserable thread this is, the work is hard and endless and you all trying to dunk on people like it's some Netflix sitcom.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, it's really depressing. It's a pandemic killing people, and a lot of people here seem to see it as just yet another opportunity to mock and laugh.

Then you have nurses like you (thank you and all the other nurses in this thread for all the shit you're dealing with, especially during these times) speaking your perspective, and some people decide to not only double down on their views because they don't agree with you, and even be condescending to you for it.

Being condescending to nurses working on the front lines during covid. Really? Fucking really?

I'm of 2 minds here. As a nurse I give every patient I look after the absolutely best care I can even ones I know are fucking terrible people. That's a part of what we do and what's required of a nurse.

I also recognise that the reason people tend to have these beliefs is due to lack of education and a deluge of misinformation constantly being fed to the general public.

However these hateful pricks are deliberately endangering the lives of others, mine included whilst I'm working and they have no mental illness to excuse it. It's hard not to feel malice towards people who not only hate large portions of our society but would happily see them dead.

It's a complex issue.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand where you're coming from but when you consider that people like this don't just get sick and die in a vacuum but can get others who do believe in the virus and try to protect themselves and others sick and even killed - is it surprising or even unreasonable for someone to feel hate towards those people?
This. This isn't just a case where ill informed people are doing harm to themselves. They are actively helping to infect thousands of people every day. They are the reason we are nine months into this shit and getting higher infection rates than we've ever seen. It actively makes me mad. Especially when you have innocent people who are trying to take precautions who get sick.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No.

The year is fucking 2020. Every single person in any developed country has the entirety of human knowledge at their fingertips. They do not get to fucking pull that card. Not with this virus. With anything else you can give them a pass knowledge-wise. But if they can't take the time to do the fucking research on the device that's already in their hand on a topic that literally effects them.

You can blame the assholes who spread misinformation and they share some of the blame. But the fault for believing in those assholes over scientific evidence is 100% on them for being idiots. Period.

When millions of people fall prey to basic misinformation, at what point does it become a systemic failing vs. an individual one?

I'm not saying we have to hug and kiss COVID deniers but I think we need to reframe how this problem comes into place. The people up top causing this thing to happen always want us blaming each other instead of them.

Deleted member 11796

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While some of my peers have issues and feel apathy, i'm glad none of then would even think something so disgusting and sad,. They might think covid is fake, but you also think it's impact is a joke.

What a miserable thread this is, the work is hard and endless and you all trying to dunk on people like it's some Netflix sitcom.

this is like asking people to feel empathy for drunk drivers who harmed or killed other people in a crash they caused but they themselves are also in the hospital due to their own choices

nah, i'm good. i'll save my humanity for the people who tried to protect themselves and others and still got infected due to tremendous blights on society like them

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Even if you get them to take the virus seriously, they'll put all the blame on China and say Trump did everything he could.

I've seen it happen several times on Nextdoor lol.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
When millions of people fall prey to basic misinformation, at what point does it become a systemic failing vs. an individual one?

I'm not saying we have to hug and kiss COVID deniers but I think we need to reframe how this problem comes into place. The people up top causing this thing to happen always want us blaming each other instead of them.

I think we need to look at how we attack this problem. We can keep calling these people evil dumb fucks but across the world elections are being won by right wing populists based on fear and misinformation. We can keep hating on these people but we need to work out a way to solve this problem before it gets worse.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of 2 minds here. As a nurse I give every patient I look after the absolutely best care I can even ones I know are fucking terrible people. That's a part of what we do and what's required of a nurse.

I also recognise that the reason people tend to have these beliefs is due to lack of education and a deluge of misinformation constantly being fed to the general public.

However these hateful pricks are deliberately endangering the lives of others, mine included whilst I'm working and they have no mental illness to excuse it. It's hard not to feel malice towards people who not only hate large portions of our society but would happily see them dead.

It's a complex issue.
Yes, definitely. The people who are denying covid are propagating the suffering it causes, even at their own expense. They're not excused or forgiven for the harm that their actions cause, but I also acknowlege that their views didn't come from nowhere. They are, at the same time, the product of a lot of social problems - poor education, combined with social media sources running amok with misinformation and the lack of laws/regulations preventing said misinformation from being spread. This is happening way too much to be handwaved away with some sort of "they're just idiots so fuck 'em if they die" attitude.

Not to mention that for many people, said "idiots" were normal friends and family members before they drank the kool-aid from one of the many sources of misinformation. The loss of loved ones to this sort of extremism hurts, and seeing people on the internet go "they're idiots who deserve it, so I'm going to just laugh as they die" does not help.

That's the part that bothers me, along with how some people in this thread are extending that dismissive attitude to nurses trying to add nuance to the issue, like you just did. Even if these people disagree, I don't think they should shit on nurses or other medical workers for speaking their views. They don't deserve that treatment - especially not now.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yes, definitely. The people who are denying covid are propagating the suffering it causes, even at their own expense. They're not excused or forgiven for the harm that their actions cause, but I also acknowlege that their views didn't come from nowhere. They are, at the same time, the product of a lot of social problems - poor education, combined with social media sources running amok with misinformation and the lack of laws/regulations preventing said misinformation from being spread. This is happening way too much to be handwaved away with some sort of "they're just idiots so fuck 'em if they die" attitude.

Not to mention that for many people, said "idiots" were normal friends and family members before they drank the kool-aid from one of the many sources of misinformation. The loss of loved ones to this sort of extremism hurts, and seeing people on the internet go "they're idiots who deserve it, so I'm going to just laugh as they die" does not help.

That's the part that bothers me, along with how some people in this thread are extending that dismissive attitude to nurses trying to add nuance to the issue, like you just did. Even if these people disagree, I don't think they should shit on nurses or other medical workers for speaking their views. They don't deserve that treatment - especially not now.

Yeah I agree with all that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think we need to look at how we attack this problem. We can keep calling these people evil dumb fucks but across the world elections are being won by right wing populists based on fear and misinformation. We can keep hating on these people but we need to work out a way to solve this problem before it gets worse.

I agree for sure. And as I said earlier in this thread, I think the longterm goal is to make sure the next generation has access to better education and that the powers that be are less capable of spreading misinformation.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These people are killing thousands more by spreading covid with no precautions. I dont blame people for not feeling sympathy for them.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife is a doctor and has dealt with similar issues. It's very frustrating when these workers risk their lives and their families' health just to try and save people who think they're lying to them.

We both got COVID last spring. From her patients no doubt (she was working the ICU). And still, this is how the world talks to our doctors, nurses, and other first responders.

I'm not as down on the world as most people here. I'm more of a realistic optimist. But even I am not sure how we get out of this post-factual tailspin.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Wouldn't those points go hand in hand though? A good education should teach people media literacy.

I agree with your general point that the older, indoctrinated people are mostly unreachable, but our takeaway from this should be how to prevent this from happening again, rather than trying to save those who are too far gone.
That's kinda my point. I agree with your stance that media literacy is a crucial component in this whole thing, but I also have experience seeing people who have had the same education that I've had (at the very least an education that isn't necessarily governed by whatever-the-hell the name of that group in Texas that determines textbook curricula). Yes, that sort of thing should be taught in schools, imo - critical thinking, in general, is an incredibly useful skill. Otherwise you end up regurgitating right-wing talking points that have no basis in reality, and god forbid your actions end up propping up some sad sod with ad revenue because all you can do is make fun of people on a different site*

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It will be just like the spanish flu times..
we'll get through it the same way.. through mass deaths.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I remember a thread posted on here a little while back where a dude nearly died from the virus and still had breathing problems and was still trying to downplay and minimize it. That was the moment when I realized that this man is not an abberation, he's quite common, he's everywhere and we're fucked until a vaccine becomes available because this half of America is just irrationally stubborn to the point of literally dying and taking others down because of it. These people out here killing folks trying to protect themselves and the people who put their lives on the line daily to save theirs.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I admit I laughed at several of the jokes in this thread, especially the George Soros one (I mean c'mon, he's not going to actually do that), but I can understand nurses getting upset, too. Nurses have to be pretty sincere about their work, I would imagine, and it's much appreciated.

But some of us enjoy dark humor as we're quite helpless in this horrible situation and just watching the situation unfold is depressing enough. I don't think it means people don't actually care.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
What can we even do to fix this? I just don't know and that's the scary part. All I got to say is fuck Trump, fuck the gop, fuck social media sites that let misinformation run rampant, and fuck these right wing grifters that put money over the lives of ppl and their dignity.

And thanks to all the health care workers. I can't imagine how much all of this has taken out of you.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
My coworkers and I are getting burnt out in the ER. Constant covid patients, some with multiple complications like DKA, Stroke, ect. We are over it already and it doesn't help that myself and other coworkers have to constantly work in the covid area every shift because we are young and have no underlying health conditions. If we get sick I don't know what staff will be able to work there. And, yes I have encountered several patients who refuse to wear a mask and act like total assholes when we tell them to put one on.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That nurse has tremendous willpower and a heart of gold to take all that abuse, hear all that nonsense constantly, and still try to save their life.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's no fixing that, people like that are goners and should be treated as such

I just don't see how you bring someone back from that point, especially millions of them

Oct 27, 2017
Jez that's just unbelievably fucking sad.

The real grifters just get away with all the pain and misery and these sad sacks are the lemming troops.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
These people overcrowding hospitals while refusing to wear masks and saying it's fake.. they should just be kicked out when someone else needs that bed.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Zero sympathy for these people.
Fuck em frankly.

Those "controversial" Michael Shannon interviews from right after Trump's election aged really well. I think of them often.

Yes, the election is all I've been thinking about. How are you holding up?
I'm on tenterhooks here. I have two young children. Basically this man is probably going to destroy the earth and civilization as we know it. It's kind of terrifying.

I've been alternating between feeling energized, stoked to fight against everything he and his supporters stand for, and utter despair, because I'm not convinced anything I do can actually effect change.
That's the thing: These protests are so moving, but ultimately what are they going to accomplish? I'm so glad these kids on the campuses everywhere are going ape s—, but at the end of the day the guy's still going to be president. Maybe you need a civil war or something.

I was going to avoid talking about this, but I suppose it's unavoidable.
No, it's unavoidable. It should be talked about constantly. It should be the only thing anyone talks about.

There's not even a way to talk to the other side. You may want to share something on Facebook, but the algorithms only allow people to see the news they want.
The wall isn't between the U.S. and Mexico; the wall is between people who voted for Trump and people who didn't. And we've got to do something about it. I don't want to live in a country where people voted for Trump. I want to live in some other f—ing country. But I don't want to run away. So we're just going to have to bust this thing up.

I'm not even sure how to bust things up. We have to invent a new way.
There's a lot of old people who need to realize they've had a nice life, and it's time for them to move on. Because they're the ones who go out and vote for these assholes. If you look at the young people, between 18 and 25, if it was up to them Hillary would have been president. No offense to the seniors out there. My mom's a senior citizen. But if you're voting for Trump, it's time for the urn.

My parents voted for Trump and I'm still not sure how to talk to them about that.
F— 'em. You're an orphan now. Don't go home. Don't go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Don't talk to them at all. Silence speaks volumes.

Do you have relatives who voted for him?
Thank god no one in my immediate family would ever remotely consider voting for Trump.

That's odd, since Kentucky went for Trump, and how.
That's the tragic thing about Kentucky: There's two cities in Kentucky that are filled with intelligent, vibrant people. And then there's the rest of it. But my mom is a super cool and intelligent lady. She was a pollster; she was helping people vote. She told me about this old woman who walked in and needed help voting. My mom had to stand there and watch this woman vote for Trump. Then she turned around and said, "How do I make sure my vote gets counted? I want to make sure. I don't want this conspiracy to happen." Because that's the ironic thing: On that day there were so many Trump voters who were saying, "I voted for Trump, but it doesn't make a difference because they got it rigged anyway." Yeah, they sure f—ing do, don't they? F—in' A, man.

Can you make sense of any of that for me—how Trump was elected?
Yeah, I'll tell you how to make sense of it: This country's filled with ignorant jackasses. The big red dildo running through the middle of our country needs to be annexed to be its own country of moronic assholes. You can call it the United States of Moronic Fucking Assholes.

Do you think those assholes started off that way, or that people are inherently good and lost?
I don't know how people got so goddamn stupid. But it's really weird, because it's like the last eight years, now it feels like a lie. Like, this has been festering underneath the whole time. Racists, sexists. And a lot of these people, they don't know why the fuck they're alive. They know it. They're doing drugs, fucking killing themselves. Because they're like, 'Why the fuck am I alive? I can't get a job, I don't know anything about anything, I have no curiosity for life or the world.' So this Trump thing is like getting a box of firecrackers, or something. It's like, 'Well, this will be fun for a little while, this'll kill some time.' Because, y'know, the jackass will be amusing on television, say stupid shit. Make everybody clap. Hillary would have been too boring, I suppose. It's the worst thing that's ever happened. It's the worst. This guy is going to destroy civilization as we know it, and the earth, and all because of these people who don't have any idea why they're alive.

Do you think this idea of purpose comes down to education, or finding a job that they like?
I don't know! I mean, yeah, to a certain extent I agree with Trump. Yeah, NAFTA was fucked up and people need to have jobs. People need to have a way of supporting themselves, they need a way of having self-respect, pride and dignity. You take that away from them, this is what you get.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
As we all know, fire isn't real just because you see it, feel it, see your home crumble around you as it turns to ash, are having your legs turn crispy and charred by it...

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
If you'd do this in a movie/novel, you'd get laughed at for being too on the nose.

Incredible. Just incredible.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
The last 4 years have thoroughly disturbed me and filled me with existential dread. I cannot believe how stupid people are. We are just so lost.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Those "controversial" Michael Shannon interviews from right after Trump's election aged really well. I think of them often.

Yes, the election is all I've been thinking about. How are you holding up?
I'm on tenterhooks here. I have two young children. Basically this man is probably going to destroy the earth and civilization as we know it. It's kind of terrifying.

I've been alternating between feeling energized, stoked to fight against everything he and his supporters stand for, and utter despair, because I'm not convinced anything I do can actually effect change.
That's the thing: These protests are so moving, but ultimately what are they going to accomplish? I'm so glad these kids on the campuses everywhere are going ape s—, but at the end of the day the guy's still going to be president. Maybe you need a civil war or something.

I was going to avoid talking about this, but I suppose it's unavoidable.
No, it's unavoidable. It should be talked about constantly. It should be the only thing anyone talks about.

There's not even a way to talk to the other side. You may want to share something on Facebook, but the algorithms only allow people to see the news they want.
The wall isn't between the U.S. and Mexico; the wall is between people who voted for Trump and people who didn't. And we've got to do something about it. I don't want to live in a country where people voted for Trump. I want to live in some other f—ing country. But I don't want to run away. So we're just going to have to bust this thing up.

I'm not even sure how to bust things up. We have to invent a new way.
There's a lot of old people who need to realize they've had a nice life, and it's time for them to move on. Because they're the ones who go out and vote for these assholes. If you look at the young people, between 18 and 25, if it was up to them Hillary would have been president. No offense to the seniors out there. My mom's a senior citizen. But if you're voting for Trump, it's time for the urn.

My parents voted for Trump and I'm still not sure how to talk to them about that.
F— 'em. You're an orphan now. Don't go home. Don't go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Don't talk to them at all. Silence speaks volumes.

Do you have relatives who voted for him?
Thank god no one in my immediate family would ever remotely consider voting for Trump.

That's odd, since Kentucky went for Trump, and how.
That's the tragic thing about Kentucky: There's two cities in Kentucky that are filled with intelligent, vibrant people. And then there's the rest of it. But my mom is a super cool and intelligent lady. She was a pollster; she was helping people vote. She told me about this old woman who walked in and needed help voting. My mom had to stand there and watch this woman vote for Trump. Then she turned around and said, "How do I make sure my vote gets counted? I want to make sure. I don't want this conspiracy to happen." Because that's the ironic thing: On that day there were so many Trump voters who were saying, "I voted for Trump, but it doesn't make a difference because they got it rigged anyway." Yeah, they sure f—ing do, don't they? F—in' A, man.

Yeah, I'll tell you how to make sense of it: This country's filled with ignorant jackasses. The big red dildo running through the middle of our country needs to be annexed to be its own country of moronic assholes. You can call it the United States of Moronic Fucking Assholes.

Do you think those assholes started off that way, or that people are inherently good and lost?
I don't know how people got so goddamn stupid. But it's really weird, because it's like the last eight years, now it feels like a lie. Like, this has been festering underneath the whole time. Racists, sexists. And a lot of these people, they don't know why the fuck they're alive. They know it. They're doing drugs, fucking killing themselves. Because they're like, 'Why the fuck am I alive? I can't get a job, I don't know anything about anything, I have no curiosity for life or the world.' So this Trump thing is like getting a box of firecrackers, or something. It's like, 'Well, this will be fun for a little while, this'll kill some time.' Because, y'know, the jackass will be amusing on television, say stupid shit. Make everybody clap. Hillary would have been too boring, I suppose. It's the worst thing that's ever happened. It's the worst. This guy is going to destroy civilization as we know it, and the earth, and all because of these people who don't have any idea why they're alive.

Do you think this idea of purpose comes down to education, or finding a job that they like?
I don't know! I mean, yeah, to a certain extent I agree with Trump. Yeah, NAFTA was fucked up and people need to have jobs. People need to have a way of supporting themselves, they need a way of having self-respect, pride and dignity. You take that away from them, this is what you get.

This is good stuff. Where did he give this interview?

INST

Nov 2, 2017

This is fantastic.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've seen it. Coworkers sister is on a ventilator and is not expected to survive much longer. He still plays it down.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Worse still, there's nurses here in WV who think it's a hoax/exaggerated/made up by XYZ media conglomerate. Despite the fact they literally treat the people every day. The headspace needed to be this detached is the size of a football stadium.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is like asking people to feel empathy for drunk drivers who harmed or killed other people in a crash they caused but they themselves are also in the hospital due to their own choices

nah, i'm good. i'll save my humanity for the people who tried to protect themselves and others and still got infected due to tremendous blights on society like them
Good for you! Moral absolutism is not a thing that we health workers can afford to have, which is the point of my post, the rest can post their badass hardboiled dialog online or irl.