• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Totally agree OP. Pretty sure you knew what kinda reaction this was gonna get here but I feel the same as you and hope they start being more interactive with their audience. Even if they dont "have" to cause they will be fine just floating along its always nice to see them engage the community and keep in talks with them instead of being secluded.

Do yourself a favour and visit the official PlayStation blog.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
giphy.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong in wanting them to make more games and invest in new studios but you yourself admitted, the cost of development of AAA titles has ballooned too much in this generation. Naughty Dog was able to pump out an Uncharted trilogy in space of 5 years last gen, whereas it took Santa Monica the exact time to make God of War. While ND remain most efficient of all FP studios, even they can't deliver AAA titles every 2 years like last gen.

Also, while Sony are not acquiring new studios, they are expanding their current ones. Guerrilla has grown into a huge studio after success of Horizon. ND, SSM have grown in size over the years plus they just made a new studio in San Diego. They are investing a lot, it's just that the production quality required in modern AAA titles is pushing the cost a lot hence the quantity is reduced. I'd much prefer them put out 9/10 AAA title than multiple 5-6/10 AAA title.

I'm confused about this post, do you not consider Horizon Zero Dawn as an RPG? Even something like God of War which had ton of RPG elements in it.

Coming to MP shooter part, I just feel market is way too saturated with them for them to pour huge resources in it. COD and BF release annually, then you have Bungie with Destiny. EA with Anthem and F2P games like Fortnite and Apex.
Nah, horizon and god of war are both action adventure games with RPG elements. Horizon's only role playing comes when choosing dialogue options that dont change the story at all. you just get a different dialogue. anthem has similar dialouge options, doesnt make it an RPG. I gave the example of Witcher 3 which along with Mass Effect, Skyrim and Fallout are what i would consider RPGs where playing a role actively changes the missions and the story you would encounter.

it's definitely good to see sony invest in their studios and make them bigger. i am secretly hoping they do what i suggested earlier in the thread and give teams separate projects. as games get more and more expensive to make, the window between releases is only going to get larger. which means 1 game every 4-5 years from ssm, gg, nd, insomniac and sucker punch.

they need multiple teams. more studios filling in between these releases.

i think best case scenario, their studios get bigger to make sure they can get these games out every 3 years max. this is what the next few years will look like.

Ghost of Tshushima
Death Stranding
Horizon 2

Bluepoint Demon Souls remake
God Of War 2
Spiderman 2
New San Diego studio IP

TLOU 3 or New Naughty Dog IP
Days Gone 2
Dreams 2 or new MM IP

Ghost 2
Death Stranding 2
Horizon 3

and rinse and repeat. doesnt look bad just like how their lineup isnt bad by any means this gen. but they need to invest more. they NEED to go back to From for Bloodborne 2. They have to go back to Supermassive for Until Dawn 2 or a new adventure game. They NEED a replacement for Qauntic Dream. They NEED a replacement for Ueda. i emphasize NEED because these are the second party studios they used this gen to fill up the gaps between the first party releases and they have already lost two of these studios. (QD and Ueda)

They have to be the ones to take risks because they can. and because they should as an industry leader. Look what happened to MS last gen when they figured they could coast on gears, forza and halo. unlike Activision, EA and Ubisoft, their shareholders understand that sony needs to sell consoles first and can take risks other publishers cant. we have seen shooters turn into bullshit GaaS mindless shlooters with no thought put into level design, story and A.I, let alone any kind of real innovation. (Titanfall 2 is the sole exception and now they are stuck making BR games) AAA RPGs nowadays are rarer than unicorns. Even cyberpunk looks to be embracing a more casual tone with their first person view. Sony can go in that genre and truly innovate which is what they did time and time again last gen with killzone, resistance, uncharted and infamous and in the last two years of this gen with horizon and gow offering gameplay experiences leagues ahead of their contemporaries.

Jul 31, 2018
Boise, Idaho
I'd imagine that they're staying silent partially as a response to the very valid criticism that they had announced things too early. Taking some time off to stockpile some worthy and upcoming reveals while they're still on top is a better move than waiting until things are competitive and their success isn't as guaranteed.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say you want Sony to take risks but from reading your posts it just sounds like you want them to make a very specific type of game you like that was once popular but is arguably a little out of fashion these days.
witcher 3 is the most awarded goty winner this gen. i wouldnt say AAA RPGs are out of fashion at the moment just because publishers want to make GaaS shooters that are easy to sell and have a constant source of microtransaction. i dont think anyone would argue that we are better off with loot shooters like division, destiny, anthem, metal gear survive, and fallout 76. at least not on this board.

but yes, i do want them to make games in a very specfic genre. like i said earlier in the thread, i wasnt a sony fan until the invested in shooters like mag, resistance, uncharted, killzone and warhawk. i dont want them to keep making sequels but i would love to see these talented multiplayer devs make something as good as kz2 and mag's mp. or something as special as Resistance 3's campaign.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Sony is doing fine, but yea, they are looking at other ways to make money. If their in agreement with taking some extra cash by allowing PS-only titles to migrate to the PC, they are only attempting to stay in the money game. In the end, it's all about money and with Google stepping into the ring and MS porting all their games to PC, they had better be trying to get some extra money by joining the fray. It could very well come a time that maintaining exclusivity of a franchise might not make financial sense anymore.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely disagree. They are reloading right now. Sony is coming off one of it's best years yet and this spring has been crazy.

You can't have E3 2015 every week.

What has Microsoft communicated in the way of 1st party games?
What has Google communicated in the way of 1st party games? If they started last year do they even know it takes 3-4 years (min) to make a AAA game?

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I absolutely disagree. They are reloading right now. Sony is coming off one of it's best years yet and this spring has been crazy.

You can't have E3 2015 every week.

What has Microsoft communicated in the way of 1st party games?
What has Google communicated in the way of 1st party games? If they started last year do they even know it takes 3-4 years (min) to make a AAA game?
Are you disagreeing with me?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Sony doesn't want to reveal it's hand early so to speak when it comes to next gen (or it's launch titles)

QD stated a while back that they are going multi platform but the pc thing is interesting.

Skipping E3 seems to be a mistake but there are several other events they can use instead without fearing being over shadowed.

It's best to be patient and see what happens

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Sony is doing fine, but yea, they are looking at other ways to make money. If their in agreement with taking some extra cash by allowing PS-only titles to migrate to the PC, they are only attempting to stay in the money game. In the end, it's all about money and with Google stepping into the ring and MS porting all their games to PC, they had better be trying to get some extra money by joining the fray. It could very well come a time that maintaining exclusivity of a franchise might not make financial sense anymore.

That time won't come until they're in the console business.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
they have always been associated with PlayStation, is somebody going to replace them to create interactive games like that?
Quantic Dream will keep making games for playstation consoles. They just had an exclusivity deal for 3 games with Sony, going forward they will release the games multiplatform. Quantic Dreams was an independent studio, they did not belong to Sony.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quantic Dream will keep making games for playstation consoles. They just had an exclusivity deal for 3 games with Sony, going forward they will release the games multiplatform. Quantic Dreams was an independent studio, they did not belong to Sony.
And it's almost like they made Multiplatform games before that deal.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
We need Sony to announce thing that are not ready to show so we can get angry for the next 3 years because they're announce thing too early.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Certainly feels like the industry is seeing big waves without Sony right now

Google entering the ring
Microsoft announcing stuffs for PC Steam and Cuphead Switch
Switch indie showcase
Epic Game Store getting exclusives from Sony/Quantic Dream

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Certainly feels like the industry is seeing big waves without Sony right now

Google entering the ring
Microsoft announcing stuffs for PC Steam and Cuphead Switch
Switch indie showcase
Epic Game Store getting exclusives from Sony/Quantic Dream
I hope this means when sony comes back from radio silence that they gonna bring a wave of thier own

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need Sony to announce thing that are not ready to show so we can get angry for the next 3 years because they're announce thing too early.

Very good point.

I hope this means when sony comes back from radio silence that they gonna bring a wave of thier own

No matter how good the PS5 reveal will be there will be a sentiment that Sony is living in the past or clinging to archaic ways, that Xbox or Google or Amazon and streaming is the future and they are lagging further behind.

And then PS5 will release, break records and continue the golden era.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Sony arent doing much to generate excitment for the brand. So yeah, marketing and pr is weak. And that is whart this is all about. Microsoft is not communicating with fans, they are pr-ing and marketing. They want you to buy their shit, not join a social movement.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how good the PS5 reveal will be there will be a sentiment that Sony is living in the past or clinging to archaic ways, that Xbox or Google or Amazon and streaming is the future and they are lagging further behind.
I think that sentiment would primarily be among the media. Fans of gaming would love it if PS5 stuck to the basics. My fear is that Sony will budge.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Very good point.

And then PS5 will release, break records and continue the golden era.

Can't stick to an old formula for too long. Technology will leave you behind. Cloud gaming is a thing. The best we can do is hope that Sony/MS/Nintendo evolve as well.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony arent doing much to generate excitment for the brand. So yeah, marketing and pr is weak. And that is whart this is all about. Microsoft is not communicating with fans, they are pr-ing and marketing. They want you to buy their shit, not join a social movement.

That depends on what you call excitement for the brand.
There system is sell well and so are there games .
So if there marketing is weak they doing something right .

Can't stick to an old formula for too long. Technology will leave you behind. Cloud gaming is a thing. The best we can do is hope that Sony/MS/Nintendo evolve as well.

You do know that Sony has the only cloud service up and running right ?
The question is not if Sony going to enter that market but what they going to do to improve PSnow.
They just add other countries so that is starting to expanding .

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think some people want some sort of acknowledgment of the slightest plans they have for the year, when it comes to events or conferences. They don't have to start announcing stuff everyday and put out release dates for games they are unsure of yet. Obviously they will have previews and events for journalists dealing with games they already told us were coming this year like Days Gone and Dreams. This is common sense.

However, telling us if they plan to have their own event this year sometime would be exciting enough to know for sure. It can be vague as fuck, just saying we are planning our own event sometime for sure would be big news.

Not attending E3? That's fine, but how about telling us what they are planning on attending? Not having a PSX last year? That's okay. How about a promise of we will be back and better than ever for a PSX 2019? People are just looking for some acknowledgement of an upcoming event that might be notable later this year other than dead silence on that front.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think some people want some sort of acknowledgment of the slightest plans they have for the year, when it comes to events or conferences. They don't have to start announcing stuff everyday and put out release dates for games they are unsure of yet. Obviously they will have previews and events for journalists dealing with games they already told us were coming this year like Days Gone and Dreams. This is common sense.

However, telling us if they plan to have their own event this year sometime would be exciting enough to know for sure. It can be vague as fuck, just saying we are planning our own event sometime for sure would be big news.

Not attending E3? That's fine, but how about telling us what they are planning on attending? Not having a PSX last year? That's okay. How about a promise of we will be back and better than ever for a PSX 2019? People are just looking for some acknowledgement of an upcoming event that might be notable later this year other than dead silence on that front.

Is it? Cuz it sounds like the people complaining about this want game announcements.

I'd honestly be wayyyy more hyped with them copying how Capcom has been revealing their new games with a trailer pop out of nowhere and a relatively short time between announcement and release.

Aren't we the same ones that started to complain about companies revealing things too soon in the development cycle?

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Cuz it sounds like the people complaining about this want game announcements.

I'd honestly be wayyyy more hyped with them copying how Capcom has been revealing their new games with a trailer pop out of nowhere and a relatively short time between announcement and release.

Aren't we the same ones that started to complain about companies revealing things too soon in the development cycle?

It isn't about game announcements.

It is the end of thegeneration and all of the other companies have shown their plans. Google, 100% streaming, ms every game will be streamable but there is a hardware option, nintendo is fully committed to portable gaming and will allow streaming but wont be offering any streaming service of their own...now we wait to see what the Sony brain trust has plotted for their side. So it is frustrating not knowing.

I dont think it is a big deal if they have an event before Google or MS launch new services and/or hardware. But if we are having this same conversation next march...

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel as if their method is to not have anything leak or speak too early and surprise us all. It may seem off now as we are learning about other consoles or services but all will be addressed in due time. I'm not really worried.

Oct 25, 2017
The OP could have had something of substance to actually say about the perception that Sony is now quiet or slow, since Xbox has adopted Inside Xbox, and Nintendo has their directs, both which function for more communication with their customers on a more personal level. Sony not having the equivalent leads into the perception that they have less going on.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
we're clearly approaching next gen when the Sony silence occurs and the industries or rather consumer reaction is "is Sony doomed?"

be they truly doomed or it being hyperbole, regardless Sony has a knack of keeping quiet pre transitional announcement of the next gen era

they also have a knack of releasing some top tier swan song games as a last hurrah for their current console before the next console comes out

I agree though that instead of reacting to things or making conferences they can just do directs for the titles, I mean they do have press events for them but a direct like Nintendo talking about there heavy hitters they still have yet to release would be a good idea to keep some people's attention pre occupied

it isn't like the don't have the titles and it is not like they don't have the media set of doing something similar

don't they have playstation underground? add more to that Sony make it have pre recorded streams too even for indies

Status
Not open for further replies.