• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Each game on PS4, and subsequently on PS5, uses a different SKU or serial number. It's those numbers and letters you see on your PS4 game cases and discs (CLUS-1234).

Save files created on PS4 and obviously on PS5, are locked to those exact numbers.

SKUs for the same game on the same platform change between regions and sometimes even on different versions and bundles; like, if "game of the year" or "definitive" editions of the same game have been released as a separate product, they use different SKUs and the save files won't be compatible.

Your PS4 save games will work on the PS5 perfectly in Backwards Compatibility mode.
If a game gets updated to support the PS5, in a way that they release a title update for the game, and not a separate version on the PlayStation Store, then your old save files will work.

In case of Spider-Man: Remastered, that won't be a title update, but a separate product, so PS4 save games won't be compatible.

It's been like this since the PS3. I don't exactly get the concern for clarification here. This is not something new or recent that we're dealing with here. It's not a PS5 thing.
There are cross save games between PS3 and PS4, and other platforms. They are few and far between, but they exist. It's up to the devs, evidently, but Smart Delivery games will 'just work', no matter what version you're playing. Providing an SDK to handle such things helps ensure there is more uptake for it. I hope Sony embrace it. Even if just to allow something like letting me start a new game plus with the character stats and equipment I already have in Spider-Man.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
are we expecting something similar for the likes of Fifa and CoD where the publisher is doing their own version of dual entitlement and not using smart delivery?

If a publisher wants to implement their own cross progression system they can and it will work.

If there's an issue here it'll be a PSN issue but not one that couldn't eventually be fixed.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
They do on Xbox even as far back as 360 and that should be the industry standard.

one of the weirdest/coolest experiences in gaming was a year ago when I got a Series X. Bought Oblivion, loaded it up, saw a sync screen and my 360 save which i started in, what, 2006 loaded up. There i was, nearly 15 years later picking up exactly where i had left off (i started playing the game again during the end of the 360 era when sync became a thing)

so, cross platform saves are a big deal, IMO

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I mentioned this in the Yakuza thread but are there any PS4-PS5 upgrades that are confirmed to be a performance patch rather than a seperate version so far?

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Here is the thing though we know games can read other games games saves. We know this cause games like digimon cyberslueth hackers memory can read digimon cyberslueths game save. It's how you transfer seen digimon and medals. And these are totally different games/skus. So if it's not a encryption issue, then it seems like a policy issue but then there are games that get around that so what's the hold up then? Worst case I would of thought of would be the ps5 making a ps5 version save and you can't go back to PS4. Couldn't be a trophy reason cause saves could possibly break a games trophy system and they won't pop?

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Spiderman Remastered is a PS5 game. Your PS4 Spiderman save will work fine with the PS4 version of Spiderman played through BC.
That's because half the people in this thread are talking about cross-gen games (two different SKUs -- the actual subject of this thread) and the other half are just talking about PS4 BC.
Jeez that was one big confusion. Ok Crisis averted then ah!

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Here is the thing though we know games can read other games games saves. We know this cause games like digimon cyberslueth hackers memory can read digimon cyberslueths game save. It's how you transfer seen digimon and medals. And these are totally different games/skus. So if it's not a encryption issue, then it seems like a policy issue but then there are games that get around that so what's the hold up then? Worst case I would of thought of would be the ps5 making a ps5 version save and you can't go back to PS4. Couldn't be a trophy reason cause saves could possibly break a games trophy system and they won't pop?

I thought it might be that different skus have different trophy lists and importing saves could break trophies but I'm pretty sure there's cross buy PS4/Vita games with seperate trophy lists and cross save

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when Sony will tell us the "little" details about PS5. We already have pre-ordered the damn thing!

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair, Sony should clarify a LOT of things.

Unfortunately, they don't have to, because people have and will buy it's product regardless.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They are only doing it for select games though, we don't know if every game like call of duty saves from xbox one will work with the series x version. It might be the exact same situation.
While true, at least we can expect it to work with Microsoft first party games but it doesn't appear to be true with Sony first party games. Even if it's up to the developer, shouldn't we expect Sony to support such features especially when the competition is doing so?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
It would be highly ridiculous if save states don´t carry over...imagine someone playing Valhalla in november and upgrading to the PS5 in january, so he gets a free update for the game but is expected to start again? that wouldn´t make any sense to me tbh

games these days are not some 5 hr affairs, there needs to be the option to carry on where you left the game on PS4.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
While true, at least we can expect it to work with Microsoft first party games but it doesn't appear to be true with Sony first party games. Even if it's up to the developer, shouldn't we expect Sony to support such features especially when the competition is doing so?
There are only a couple first party sony games and we dont know if they are cross save yet. Spiderman is a remaster and we dont know anything about Miles morales yet.

It would be highly ridiculous if save states don´t carry over...imagine someone playing Valhalla in november and upgrading to the PS5 in january, so he gets a free update for the game but is expected to start again? that wouldn´t make any sense to me tbh

games these days are not some 5 hr affairs, there needs to be the option to carry on where you left the game on PS4.
Your right, there are a bunch of games that are coming with late updates. i cant see them updating the game and your save gets deleted. But yakuza 7 exist so i know.

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this in the Yakuza thread but are there any PS4-PS5 upgrades that are confirmed to be a performance patch rather than a seperate version so far?

Don't think so. To my knowledge everything is an upgrade to a PS5 version free or otherwise.

Edit: the Witcher 3 complete edition is described as a free update for owners of the PS4 game. But it's getting a standalone PS5 / XSX release so not sure if that's just a choice of words or what.

Last edited:

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
For something that is so "unclear" there are sure a lot of facts being tossed around!

Maybe MS making this so smooth will make Sony change some of their methods, but I doubt it.

Personally this has never impacted me but I can see how it would be frustrating to some. I only entered the PS universe with PS4, and 100% digital, so never had to deal with disc vs digital, or upgrades between gens etc.

Guess I will find out soon enough :)

golem

Oct 25, 2017
one of the weirdest/coolest experiences in gaming was a year ago when I got a Series X. Bought Oblivion, loaded it up, saw a sync screen and my 360 save which i started in, what, 2006 loaded up. There i was, nearly 15 years later picking up exactly where i had left off (i started playing the game again during the end of the 360 era when sync became a thing)

so, cross platform saves are a big deal, IMO
Free and unlimited cloud saves on PS would be nice too

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that has been said about first party cross save and thats been about the remaster which means nothing really.

Ya, I wasn't mixing it up with that. I just swore I read that the save wouldn't carry over for Miles Morales too. My statement was based on that assumption so if it hasn't been clarified yet, I would hope that Sony would support such a feature on their own titles.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
It never crossed my mind that saves would transfer. I think in my head it helps that I would probably just start a PS4 game from the beginning anyway on ps5 to enjoy the benefits.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
While i know the Spiderman remaster is not taking my PS4 save, what about say Miles Morales - if i buy the PS4 version at launch, half finish it, get a PS5 2nd shipment, get the free upgrade to the PS5 version am i going to have to start over again or is the save coming with me?

Like that is nuts if they don't carry over. The fact that i can play my half-finished saves from my 360 games on my Series X enhanced games just got more impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
Ya, I wasn't mixing it up with that. I just swore I read that the save wouldn't carry over for Miles Morales too. My statement was based on that assumption so if it hasn't been clarified yet, I would hope that Sony would support such a feature on their own titles.

That would have been big news and we would have been talking about this a week ago instead of now if that was the case.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
While i know the Spiderman remaster is not taking my PS4 save, what about say Miles Morales - if i buy the PS4 version at launch, half finish it, get a PS5 2nd shipment, get the free upgrade to the PS5 version am i going to have to start over again or is the save coming with me?

Like that is nuts if they don't carry over. The fact that i can play my half-finished saves from my 360 games on my Series X enhanced games just got more impressive.

I could see that it works but you need PS Plus cloud saves for it. upload PS4 save file file into cloud, download file on PS5.

if it doesn´t work at all, as my example with Valhalla, and you have to start completely new when doing the upgrade to the PS5 there will be many pissed off players for sure.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I think the save are not compatible when we have two different SKU ( like the goty version of some game on PS4). Yakuza PS5 is a different SKU, spiderman remastered too.
I'm pretty sure all save files on Xbox one will work on series s/x no problem. Fundamentally, it's the same family of consoles.
Yeah, for existing games. Same for PS4 games on PS5.

The difference here is when a next gen version of a game comes out, either on Xbox or PS5, there's no guarantee your save from the old gen version will transfer over to next gen, because there's developer work involved there. Next gen versions are separate executables / binaries. Smart Delivery just combines both under one SKU but it's fundamentally still a different exe, just like on PS5.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I could see that it works but you need PS Plus cloud saves for it. upload PS4 save file file into cloud, download file on PS5.

if it doesn´t work at all, as my example with Valhalla, and you have to start completely new when doing the upgrade to the PS5 there will be many pissed off players for sure.
The fact that Sony is not coming out and clarifying this with less than 50 days prior to launch is worrying tbh. Like, sure please pre-order Miles Morales on PS4 if you can't get a PS5 on launch, because don't worry you will get the next gen version for free. Excitedly unbox the PS5, load up Miles and try to pick up from where you left off and you might have to start over again? Like WTF?

I was not even worried this would be an issue because i thought surely this is just a straight next gen patch situation and saves will come accross similar as PS4-Ps4 Pro. Really hope they come out soon and confirm one way or another because frack buying PS4 Miles (or any further PS4 game that is getting a PS5 version really) if i am going to loose my save.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
There is a lot of stuff about PS5 that is still under wraps.

But yeah cross saves is an interesting one... as a none PS+ player am I basically screwed? not sure how else they get around that short of a system file transfer.

I didn't even really think of this. Perhaps we need to get a trial or something?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm reading this tweet right, the saves for Miles Morales will transfer:

That's a confirmation as far as I'm concern.

Anyone offering a free upgrade to a next gen version with purchase of current gen should offer cross saves. Seems silly not to.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was hoping to maybe start a bit of Dirt 5 on the PS4 and bring my progess to the PS5, but if that isn't the case I'd just as soon wait.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Should be the same for Ubisoft games or Dirt 5 then..."should" till there is a clear statement for that.

wait, doesn´t Destiny 2 also get a free PS5 version? they can´t expect people to start anew when playing that game on the PS5 lol

edit: ah i forgot that Destiny 2 has the saves on the Bungie server, this should be no problem then.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me that if a game shares the same SKU, like say Miles Morales, the saves will work for both. Yakuza situation feels like it will have 2 SKUs for PS4 and PS5, meaning that the saves wont cross. Its pretty much Witcher 3/Shadow of Mordor vs Complete Edition/GOTY all over again, that shit made no sense when it was literally the game on the same platform and yet because it was 2 SKUs, saves couldn't cross and there were 2 separate trophy lists. Sony did fix it eventually but I guess they had to start all over with the PS5 -_-

Denogginizer

Apr 14, 2019
If you can plug in an external hard drive with your PS4 games on it, isn't it likely your saves will come with them?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I was hoping to maybe start a bit of Dirt 5 on the PS4 and bring my progess to the PS5, but if that isn't the case I'd just as soon wait.

Yeah same, i wanted to start Dirt 5 on PS4 and continue on PS5 and thought this is a given...but the thread here has me really thinking about it.

they should clarify this asap, it can´t be that this is up in the air, we are six weeks from launch..

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

good.

Yakuza 7 is weird in that you'd think upgrading for PS5 for free would mean cross saves. You'd think any game that is releasing now that has a free upgrade path will have cross saves. Valhalla and other Ubi games I'm assuming have cross saves.

This does feel like a case by case basis thing. MS does have the Smart Delivery branding that makes it clear, which titles under the branding have standardized BC features.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Should be the same for Ubisoft games or Dirt 5 then..."should" till there is a clear statement for that.

wait, doesn´t Destiny 2 also get a free PS5 version? they can´t expect people to start anew when playing that game on the PS5 lol

edit: ah i forgot that Destiny 2 has the saves on the Bungie server, this should be no problem then.
With the save progress tied to Bungie servers - there would be no issues there.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, for existing games. Same for PS4 games on PS5.

The difference here is when a next gen version of a game comes out, either on Xbox or PS5, there's no guarantee your save from the old gen version will transfer over to next gen, because there's developer work involved there. Next gen versions are separate executables / binaries. Smart Delivery just combines both under one SKU but it's fundamentally still a different exe, just like on PS5.
Oh I see. This is kind of lame situation. I'm guessing if devs allowed free upgrades, it wouldn't be a problem?

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me that if a game shares the same SKU, like say Miles Morales, the saves will work for both. Yakuza situation feels like it will have 2 SKUs for PS4 and PS5, meaning that the saves wont cross. Its pretty much Witcher 3/Shadow of Mordor vs Complete Edition/GOTY all over again, that shit made no sense when it was literally the game on the same platform and yet because it was 2 SKUs, saves couldn't cross and there were 2 separate trophy lists. Sony did fix it eventually but I guess they had to start all over with the PS5 -_-

There doesn't seem to be anything that indicates the MM shares a Sku though?

Could have something to do with Y7 releasing on PS4 so long ago in Japan? Regardless the option is clearly there for devs to use.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Miles saves confirmed to be coming over but man it sucks that this seems to have to be confirmed on a case by case basis because Yakuza already said it wasnt

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see. This is kind of lame situation. I'm guessing if devs allowed free upgrades, it wouldn't be a problem?
Nah it still would be. It's not really a problem either, it'a just that save compatibility between PS4 and PS5 or XB1 and XBS specific (not BC) versions of games isn't automatic, it needs to be programmed specifically into both versions of a game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Long history of platform warring.
brace yourselves, the unpaid sony apologists are here...

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
brace yourselves, the unpaid sony apologists are here...
I mean is there any need for that? I don't blame people for wanting this to work - it should. While i think it is poor that this seems to be a case-by-case basis of whether it does work or not, at least Miles Morales as a first party game can have saves brought over.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's seems to be publisher decision and maybe also related to SKUs. Unsure. But if the Miles saves can move over I don't know why Yakuza cannot.