• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I know. As I said in the very post you quoted there are 2 drives available right now (the other being by WD).

And I don't think it's as simple as "they haven't bothered". They need/want to do extensive testing and more than likely they wanna test more brands before they create a list. If it was as easy as you're making it out to be it would already be available.
There are 3 big NAND manufacturers in the world and 3 "smaller" ones. and not even a dozen controllers manufacturers.

The tech exists already, has existed for a while, and it beats the custom controller because that was made to use cheaper 533 MT/s NAND.

Its literally waiting for... more brands that are gonna ship similar but with a different sticker, like PCie 3.0 of smaller brands?

Nah, I believe the reason is firmware is half baked, as shown by the missing features that the PS4 Pro had.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is nothing exotic about the custom flash controller. 4 channels with ultrafast NAND can match the raw speed, 8 channels can beat it easy with that fast NAND. The NAND costs an arm and leg though, hence only 2 drives atm. And that new 176L NAND is hot off the presses

Last edited:

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The people saying "just delete games" are annoying the shit out of me. Opinions and all but what a terrible take lmao. Stop being obtuse.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
kinda why I said more than 3 to 4 is about the max I see most people doing. let alone playing 5+ at once.

When you have multiple people in the house who play different things, this is most certainly an issue because nobody wants to wait 2 to 5 hours to play a game. Not to mention certain staples stick around so that they can be played on a whim with other people. Games like Overooked, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Moving Out, Minecraft, etc become permanent installs because they need to be readily available. You're really not considering the different scenarios of why games need to be readily available instead of only having three or four installed.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a year into the console lifecycle it would be a concern, but the console just came out last month. The OP along with a bunch of ya'll need to be patient. Playstation has bigger issues such as bugs that are causing consoles to crash and getting more units into the wild. Storage isn't an immediate concern and they already said they are working on it. Be patient.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Storage is a huge problem on next-gen right now. Looking at my Series X. I have
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (146.7gb), Halo MCC (125.9GB), Rock Band 4 (103.7GB) Forza Horizon 4 (97.9GB) for my "permanent stay"titles that I either play weekly or have available for friends to play/hop on to.

With games getting larger and backwards compatibility, the storage upgrades are going to be crucial during this generation. I'm surprised Sony haven't announced anything yet.

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland
You might think this is a rhetorical question, but it isn't. YES, I am playing multiple games at a time. Or, more correctly, I have multiple games in progress. I have 42 games "in progress" right now. That's not on PS5, it's across multiple systems, but even so. Actually, 7 of those are on PS4, and 2 on PS5, so if I were playing all of them on PS5, it'd be 9.

But that's beside the point. The point is, some people think it's not normal, even outlandish, to have so many games in progress at once. But it isn't. It's absolutely normal. Think how many TV shows, book series, comics, movie series, et cetera are actually still ongoing. Or maybe just ongoing, for you, even though they're finished, you haven't finished consuming them. You know where each one is in its progression. You don't say to someone: "You should finish watching The Good Place before you're allowed to watch another show. Why would you be watching multiple shows at once?"

And of course, a lot of games aren't designed to end. Why should I uninstall a game like Rocket League, or a fighting game, or a competitive shooter, ever? Or even something like Trials - I might want to attempt a better time, now and again, for years. I finished Breath of the Wild 3 years ago, and I still boot it up to just run around and have fun.

Not to mention, the PS5 is designed to have multiple games in progress at once. It's one of the bragging points about how great the fast storage is: you can instantly switch between games.

OP is 100% correct. Additional storage is an issue. Their competitor had addressed it already, and rightfully so. Dismissing it because it works for your usage is not an answer. It's pretty dickish, actually.

It's not normal, you're consuming media wrong which I didn't think was possible but wow you found a way

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because people have data caps

And more are getting them enforced in 2021. The "you aren't playing that many at once" is borderline drive-by at this point, especially since some people actually are in this age of GaaS!

And fighting games with multiple seasons are part of that. And sports fans usually enjoy more than one. And Call of Duty alone takes up a massive chunk. And so on...

It's not normal, you're consuming media wrong which I didn't think was possible but wow you found a way

The most popular games today have battle passes, season, dailies etc. They aren't simply beat it or complete it and move on, it's the incentive of the publisher to keep players coming back every week or so.

How in the world is it "wrong" to be into what most people are these days? Sheesh.

aerach71

Sep 25, 2018
Ireland
When you have multiple people in the house who play different things, this is most certainly an issue because nobody wants to wait 2 to 5 hours to play a game. Not to mention certain staples stick around so that they can be played on a whim with other people. Games like Overooked, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Moving Out, Minecraft, etc become permanent installs because they need to be readily available. You're really not considering the different scenarios of why games need to be readily available instead of only having three or four installed.

What's the cumulative footprint of all the games you mentioned, 50gb?

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
It's only been a month. They said it is coming so it probably is. This stuff takes time to implement and probably isn't high on the list

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
SSD storage is definitely a problem, but I'm also not sure what else Sony needs to do to address it.

I mean, we know that the PS5 has an SSD expansion slot, and that Sony is working to certify which cards are best compatible for that expansion slot, and will no doubt unlock the SSD expansion slot in a firmware update once they've finished their certification process.

Also, I think the more pressing concern Sony has at the moment is getting the OS system stable to begin with. As much as I want to be able to expand my storage, I want my system to not crash randomly while playing games. We're also still in the middle of a global health crisis that has thrown a monkey wrench into all aspects of life and business, so I'm sure between trying to navigate the pandemic, improve production pipelines for the system itself to meet the high demand, continuing to iterate and improve on the OS of the system, and certify SSD expansion partners, and prepping the next round of software releasing in 2021, they have a lot to juggle.

I don't really know what else they can say besides, "Yeah, remember when we told you you'd be able to expand your SSD space? Uh, well, you still can, and we'll update you on when you can." They've pretty much told us all that's necessary. Considering how uncertain things are, I'm not surprised that Sony and MS aren't promising specific timeframes that will no doubt lead to disappointment if those dates slip.

Personally, I'm just being patient, playing the games that I currently have installed on my SSD and external HDD, and clearing out my backlog. I currently have 16 games installed on the SSD, and 98 gigs free. Not ideal, but it's manageable for now.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Generally speaking, what we think corporations worry about probably isn't what we think they should worry about.

Right now there are a list of things I'd like to see implemented on the PS5 just because they sound like they would make the console much more interesting to play over the years.

What is probably capturing all of Sony's attention right now is how hard their console is to find, the numerous errors people have been experiencing in the OS, and maybe this Cyberpunk debacle.

I'd say look to at least mid-2021 to get even the first thing the PS5 will do that it doesn't already do. Decide what that thing is because I guarantee they're working on something else. They need people to make a big enough stink about it. If it's external hard drives, some sort of resume feature, a bigger collection of Plus/Now titles, a more feature-packed OS, a better store? There has to be one thing that stands above all these others.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cumulative footprint of all the games you mentioned, 50gb?

Those aren't the only games, just a few examples but at 50 to 100GB when your total usable space is 667GB, you're now down to 557GB of usable space. Things that have to stick around eat up your usable available space.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
You need PCIe Gen.4 drives that are fast enough and can fit on the bay. These things, they take time.

There are at least 2-3 options at this point. We aren't waiting for drives.

I disagree with a poster above that this is entitlement. The PS4 Pro handled this better and the XSX launched in a better state as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
OP buys a console that was pushed out 3/4 baked during a pandemic. Knows in advance its SSD isn't that big. Knows in advance solutions for expanding won't be coming for a bit. Gets salty they have so many games they can't keep them all installed and channels inner Karen despite acknowledging its only been a month. Gotcha.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its probably best to just wait, you dont want sony pushing out a buggy FW update, just to have another CDPR situation. We know cold storage solution is coming, as well as SSD expansion. Also its the holidays, I wouldn't expect anything this year, maybe at the end of next month if you are lucky.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Just be patient. SSD recommendation will come. At the moment we don't even know if the 2 existing M2 drives from Samsung and WD are good enough. There is to much speculation out there.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If 660GB available only lasts you a month, 930GB from a 1TB internal upgrade is going to last you less than 2 months.

A 2TB SN850 or 980 Pro costs more than a PS5 digital.

Feels like you're not going to satisfied either way.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing 8 games at a time OP?

Some of you don't have multiple games that you play with friends on top of some singleplayer games and it shows.

Like this really isn't crazy. Thankfully for me most people are on PC so it's not AS big of an issue as for some people, but let's imagine someone who games a lot vaguely based on me kind sorta:

1. Overwatch. Play with friends a lot casually. This one I could delete since I often maybe play around holiday times. But waiting to download it is annoying. It's not huge, but definitely an inconvenience
2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, the big long game to play through over time.
3. Wolfenstein The New Collosus, a more focused story based game that I never got around to before, for when you're not feeling like doing more missions in ACV and want something more narrative. Try to get some time in on this on the weekends when I have a couple hours of uninterrupted alone time.
4. Destiny 2. Gotta hop on once a week to do DSC with the boys.
5. Sackboy. Girlfriend comes over every once in a while and wants to play it.
6. Telltale's The walking dead, whichever one we're currently on. I only play that one when she comes over cuz she doesn't want to miss the story, and hey, we have other things we do too when she comes over, so we don't just knock that out in a week, and even when we're done we move to the next in the series or whatever else Telltale has.
7. Modern Warfare, for when just a couple of friends want to sit down and do some warzone because we don't have enough people to do a destiny raid.
8. Apex cuz that one friend refuses to play warzone but he loves Apex and he's on right now so let's get on it.
9. Call of Duty Blops CW for when we don't want to warzone and just want to do some normal multiplayer. Friends from work want to try zombies.
10. Want to show my dad some VR stuff because he's visiting here in a couple days. I'm going to download Star Wars Squadrons and DriveclubVR to show him.
11 (not really). I'd add minecraft but mercifully minecraft is tiny. Sometimes a few friends aren't really wanting to get into combat and just want to hang out in minecraft a little.

I don't know if everything above here would overfill a PS5. Haven't done all the calculation. But I'm willing to bet it absolutely does. If not, it leaves no wiggleroom. And even if these specific examples don't, another arrangement might. Let's say you replace ACV with FFXV, since I actually am planning to play that soon due to the 60 fps being a thing now on PS5 and having gotten warmed up on the Comrades multiplayer. That's 100GB. MW is 170. Destiny is 70 and will only get bigger. Wolf is 55. Blops CW is like 133GB. This shit adds up so quick. And it doesn't help that all the big mainstay games you play with other people and you need to be able to boot up whenever are always the hugest.

AAAAAAND let us not forget that the PS5, like the PS4, needs a stupid amount of extra space available in order to install games. Like double of what you want to install sometimes.

I play for a few hours most days of the week, and every week I will be doing some random combination of the above things. With a data cap, it is absolutely not possible for me to be deleting and redownloading these games over and over, and that's forgetting how long of these things can take to redownload. Having friends ask to hop onto warzone is out of the question if I have to install it, so that's like, idk a third of my SSD taken up permanently. My downloads are not fast. That's a major factor in what I can play.

Like sure, I could choose to pick and choose between all these games. Like, i's not that I am "playing them simultaneously" dude. This should be very obvious. But over the course of a month, I very well may end up playing through these games. I stream a lot of content too. I don't want to be burdening my data cap, especially since I may not be the only one using it, let alone have to wait for these giant games to download, just to be able to play them. Paying for the convenience of being able to use them whenever is worth it to me. I can do all this without even thinking about it on PC right now. It's just such a better experience not to have to micromanage your space and easily move around your content.

And none of these gaming habits changed once I moved over to PS5. Like, yes it's a new console, but I'm still playing all the same old games and jumping around with whatever friends I'm playing and whichever game those friends are wanting to play.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
If 660GB available only lasts you a month, 930GB from a 1TB internal upgrade is going to last you less than 2 months.

I don't think the rate at which games are released is linear. More so if you're mostly into AAA games.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean yeah, the 664GB is rough, but it will get better when Sony activates the NVME slot on the console and then also begins to allow cold storage of PS5 games on external HDDs. Why these two things didn't make launch is beyond me (from a planning/logistical standpoint) but with Covid it's excusable, and as long as it's addressed relatively soon it won't be a huge issue.

It sucks sure, but it is what it is and part of being an early adopter. Plus, we got a better UI than the PS4 one that I personally hated

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

This is...not as logical as you seem think it is.

With games ranging from 40-200GB, depending on what games someone plays and what games they need available to them to play with friends depending on who is around and what people are interested in at the time, you will need a certain given range of sizes, which for some people may very easily exceed 660GB. This doesn't scale linearly up to twice that amount. Because the additional games I'd want on top of that...wouldn't all be the same types of huge multiplayer live service games. So if I need a solid 500GB that I can't change, and I have 100-200 that I need to be fluid, 660 might end up affecting me in a way that would be completely immaterial if I had 1TB at my disposal. Trying to view it linearly just completely ignores this, which is really silly. Not all games and habits surrounding them, and needs for when they are installed are equal. What you're saying only makes sense if we just completely brazenly ignore that, and even then...it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This is such a weird way to try and evaluate this lol. Like it sounds like someone describing a joke graph.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
This is...not as logical as you seem think it is.

With games ranging from 40-200GB, depending on what games someone plays and what games they need available to them to play with friends depending on who is around and what people are interested in at the time, you will need a certain given range of sizes, which for some people may very easily exceed 660GB. This doesn't scale linearly up to twice that amount. Because the additional games I'd want on top of that...wouldn't all be the same types of huge multiplayer live service games. So if I need a solid 500GB that I can't change, and I have 100-200 that I need to be fluid, 660 might end up affecting me in a way that would be completely immaterial if I had 1TB at my disposal. Trying to view it linearly just completely ignores this, which is really silly. Not all games and habits surrounding them, and needs for when they are installed are equal. What you're saying only makes sense if we just completely brazenly ignore that, and even then...it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This is such a weird way to try and evaluate this lol. Like it sounds like someone describing a joke graph.

You're describing a hypothetical problem different from the OP. Maybe 2 or 3 of OP's games are MP service games and they aren't totaling 500GB.

If 3 or more 150GB+ PS5 MP games are out and Sony still hasn't released the SSD upgrade firmware, you'd at least have a point.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

Disagreed 100%. Check post #133 in this thread.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty dumb you can't cold storage games onto external USB, hopefully that comes out in jan or feb. I don't even keep my ext USB drive attached to my PS5 though, I had way too many times the system crashing/rebooting and zero issues with the drive connected. I still haven't really heard if thats a known problem, just random coincidence, or what.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Disagreed 100%. Check post #133 in this thread.

That post tells me nothing about why you disagree. It's a screenshot of 500GB worth of games on PS5 and 700GB used on Xbox (which would've fit on the original XSX internal drive anyways).

You can buy a 2TB USB3.1 SSD for PS4 games for what you paid for the 1TB Xbox expansion. If you have 600+GB of PS5-only games that you can't delete, you're in a tiny minority. The storage upgrade firmware for PS5 is coming, and if it isn't released in 6 months when there are more PS5 games then I'll join you with the complaints but right now people are just looking for something to get upset about.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You're describing a hypothetical problem different from the OP. Maybe 2 or 3 of OP's games are MP service games and they aren't totaling 500GB.

If 3 or more 150GB+ PS5 MP games are out and Sony still hasn't released the SSD upgrade firmware, you'd at least have a point.

I mean it's not really your call how OP wants to play their games and whether they want to deal with download times and things like that. There's many factors at play as to why this is an issue for them. It is not uncommon for someone to play different games all the time.

And none of this changes that your basic reasoning there was just not sound at all for anyone's case. You cannot scale that up linearly. Just flat out. Like I said, it sounds like a joke graph. This is like the $/hr metric some people try to go by or sometimes just pretend they go by. It's a nonsense metric that doesn't make any rational sense. It is not a proper extension of the logic you are trying to analyze on the part of the OP. I don't really know how to explain it better, I'm sorry.

That post tells me nothing about why you disagree. It's a screenshot of 500GB worth of games on PS5 and 700GB used on Xbox.

You can buy a 2TB USB3.1 SSD for PS4 games for what you paid for the 1TB Xbox expansion. If you have 600+GB of PS5-only games that you can't delete, you're in a tiny minority. The storage upgrade firmware for PS5 is coming, and if it isn't released in 6 months when there are more PS5 games then I'll join you with the complaints but right now people are just looking for something to get upset about.

And the issue here is a lot of people would really not prefer to go buy and external, especially when many are so buggy and have issues, when it would be a lot easier to just wait and save that money to use for an internal SSD. That plays a factor here and it's what I'm doing. But I'd really like to know when it will happen. If it doesn't happen for a year, then well I'll probably get an external now. But if it's like, in 5 weeks, then I won't.

That is actually a very great situation to explain why someone would be anxious to know when this will happen.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
That post tells me nothing about why you disagree. It's a screenshot of 500GB worth of games on PS5 and 700GB used on Xbox (which would've fit on the original XSX internal drive anyways).

It means I need the extra storage, internally.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I mean it's not really your call how OP wants to play their games and whether they want to deal with download times and things like that. There's many factors at play as to why this is an issue for them. It is not uncommon for someone to play different games all the time.

And none of this changes that your basic reasoning there was just not sound at all for anyone's case. You cannot scale that up linearly. Just flat out. Like I said, it sounds like a joke graph. This is like the $/hr metric some people try to go by or sometimes just pretend they go by. It's a nonsense metric that doesn't make any rational sense. It is not a proper extension of the logic you are trying to analyze on the part of the OP. I don't really know how to explain it better, I'm sorry.

I'm not making a call. The OP literally said

I don't like do download things again. I own it I want it on my system. I have 3 Sd card on my switch for exemple

Which is not the hypothetical MP service game situation you proposed. With the OP's attitude you're never going to be satisfied anyways. The metric seems nonsense to you because the original premise was never sound.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you don't have multiple games that you play with friends on top of some singleplayer games and it shows.

Like this really isn't crazy. Thankfully for me most people are on PC so it's not AS big of an issue as for some people, but let's imagine someone who games a lot vaguely based on me kind sorta:

1. Overwatch. Play with friends a lot casually. This one I could delete since I often maybe play around holiday times. But waiting to download it is annoying. It's not huge, but definitely an inconvenience
2. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, the big long game to play through over time.
3. Wolfenstein The New Collosus, a more focused story based game that I never got around to before, for when you're not feeling like doing more missions in ACV and want something more narrative. Try to get some time in on this on the weekends when I have a couple hours of uninterrupted alone time.
4. Destiny 2. Gotta hop on once a week to do DSC with the boys.
5. Sackboy. Girlfriend comes over every once in a while and wants to play it.
6. Telltale's The walking dead, whichever one we're currently on. I only play that one when she comes over cuz she doesn't want to miss the story, and hey, we have other things we do too when she comes over, so we don't just knock that out in a week, and even when we're done we move to the next in the series or whatever else Telltale has.
7. Modern Warfare, for when just a couple of friends want to sit down and do some warzone because we don't have enough people to do a destiny raid.
8. Apex cuz that one friend refuses to play warzone but he loves Apex and he's on right now so let's get on it.
9. Call of Duty Blops CW for when we don't want to warzone and just want to do some normal multiplayer. Friends from work want to try zombies.
10. Want to show my dad some VR stuff because he's visiting here in a couple days. I'm going to download Star Wars Squadrons and DriveclubVR to show him.
11 (not really). I'd add minecraft but mercifully minecraft is tiny. Sometimes a few friends aren't really wanting to get into combat and just want to hang out in minecraft a little.

I don't know if everything above here would overfill a PS5. Haven't done all the calculation. But I'm willing to bet it absolutely does. If not, it leaves no wiggleroom. And even if these specific examples don't, another arrangement might. Let's say you replace ACV with FFXV, since I actually am planning to play that soon due to the 60 fps being a thing now on PS5 and having gotten warmed up on the Comrades multiplayer. That's 100GB. MW is 170. Destiny is 70 and will only get bigger. Wolf is 55. Blops CW is like 133GB. This shit adds up so quick. And it doesn't help that all the big mainstay games you play with other people and you need to be able to boot up whenever are always the hugest.

AAAAAAND let us not forget that the PS5, like the PS4, needs a stupid amount of extra space available in order to install games. Like double of what you want to install sometimes.

I play for a few hours most days of the week, and every week I will be doing some random combination of the above things. With a data cap, it is absolutely not possible for me to be deleting and redownloading these games over and over, and that's forgetting how long of these things can take to redownload. Having friends ask to hop onto warzone is out of the question if I have to install it, so that's like, idk a third of my SSD taken up permanently. My downloads are not fast. That's a major factor in what I can play.

Like sure, I could choose to pick and choose between all these games. Like, i's not that I am "playing them simultaneously" dude. This should be very obvious. But over the course of a month, I very well may end up playing through these games. I stream a lot of content too. I don't want to be burdening my data cap, especially since I may not be the only one using it, let alone have to wait for these giant games to download, just to be able to play them. Paying for the convenience of being able to use them whenever is worth it to me. I can do all this without even thinking about it on PC right now. It's just such a better experience not to have to micromanage your space and easily move around your content.

And none of these gaming habits changed once I moved over to PS5. Like, yes it's a new console, but I'm still playing all the same old games and jumping around with whatever friends I'm playing and whichever game those friends are wanting to play.
I agree with everything you said.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
CoD and Cyberpunk take up over 1/3 of the HDD space on PS5 alone. I got The Last of Us Part II on there too. It sucks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making a call. The OP literally said

Which is not the hypothetical MP service game situation you proposed. With the OP's attitude you're never going to be satisfied anyways. The metric seems nonsense to you because the original premise was never sound.

I mean but OP's want is a perfectly fine thing to want. You may not want it that way, but it's not really your place to tell them that they aren't right.

You're not really understand the issue with what you said earlier and idk how to explain it better. Probably a failing on my part idk. But you attempted to extrapolate OP's reasoning and did so in a way that made no sense at all and did not demonstrate an understanding of OP's logic. I don't really have the energy to cover every angle of that so I just chose one.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know. As I said in the very post you quoted there are 2 drives available right now (the other being by WD).

And I don't think it's as simple as "they haven't bothered". They need/want to do extensive testing and more than likely they wanna test more brands before they create a list. If it was as easy as you're making it out to be it would already be available.
3. The Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus is out now.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on Variable Refresh Rate support?

I'm honestly more annoyed by the lack of that than anything, given that it was supposed to be part of the feature set.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
And the issue here is a lot of people would really not prefer to go buy and external, especially when many are so buggy and have issues, when it would be a lot easier to just wait and save that money to use for an internal SSD. That plays a factor here and it's what I'm doing. But I'd really like to know when it will happen. If it doesn't happen for a year, then well I'll probably get an external now. But if it's like, in 5 weeks, then I won't.

That is actually a very great situation to explain why someone would be anxious to know when this will happen.

I've used a Samsung T5 for PS4 games since PS5 launch day and never had a storage errors and it loaded PS4 games quickly. 2/3 of my playtime on PS5 has been playing PS4 games from the drive. I know there were issues with external drives initially but maybe they're with HDDs? If there's still issues, absolutely worth raising that specifically, but my impression was it was fixed with a firmware update within the first couple weeks.

I mean but OP's want is a perfectly fine thing to want. You may not want it that way, but it's not really your place to tell them that they aren't right.

If the want is literally to store every game you buy without deleting, its perfectly logical to point out that you will never be satisfied.