• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
So was that news from Yesterday about upcoming Sony films that everyone was freaking out about...... was that reverse psychology on Sony's part? "We'll take down Spidey's universe with us! And Marvel didn't want to call their bluff????

Or has this deal been on the table for a while now, and they just fixed a few things and both sides finally agreed.
Sony has had various different Marvel movies at various different stages of production for many years. I think they just like to have plans in case they ever get the right opportunity to implement them.

They had a director attached to a Sinister Six film in 2014, and Amy Pascal has said that it's still going ahead, as recently as last year.

A Venom standalone movie was initially planned as a spin off from Spider-Man 3 [2007], then in 2014 they said it would spin off from The Amazing Spider-Man 3, and ultimately we got the 2018 version, but it had been in some form of development for over a decade.

Silver & Black was in development from around 2013, but now it's in development as a separate Black Cat and a separate Silver Sable movie.

This pattern is remarkably similar to the DCEU method of having a bunch of stuff in production in order to establish a shared universe, but with no clear idea of how to keep all the pieces in balance or how to tell a meaningful serialised story across multiple films (something that really only Kevin Feige at Marvel and to a lesser extent The Conjuring creative team have ever been able to pull off).

I think they intend to go ahead with these other movies (Morbius is coming out, for example), but the question of whether Spider-Man (Tom Holland or anyone else) will appear in them. These movies would be happening no matter what, but this deal is for custody over Peter Parker.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I just want Mobirus to bomb and thrash all spinoffs that aren't Spidey or Spiderverse related.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Executive: "What do we have on tap?"
Producer: "It's a movie about Madame Web. She's an old, blind lady who sits in a web and tells Spider-man's fortune."
Executive: "You're fired. Get me on the phone to Disney."

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knew it. Both knew that Spider-Man going back to Sony exclusively was the worst outcome for everyone. They were both just playing chicken to try to get a bigger cut of the pie.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony Stark isn't Ben Parker. Throughout his comic book history Spider-Man has had multiple father-like figures that inspire him. Tony being that in the MCU is no different than Reed or Fury or Otto or Osborn being that for him in other media/comic stories
ben parker is not mentioned in the movies as far i remember , and the father figure in the movies is stark, where the moral code comes and his inspiration, he's even stark heir in the second movie, so Stark replaced Ben, but relax its ok to like and to not like. One does not make the other right, its taste in the end.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well this news is meh since I am lukewarm about any Peter stuff from either Studio (though hopefully it kills the Madame Web pitch, the more I think the more I want one of Sony's non marvel related movies to be Hammerhead/tombstone gang wars) so it's just kind of there.

What so do hope it means is that Sony keeps exclusivity for Spider-Man games. I usually am not a big fan of exclusive stuff especially for major third party IP (and as someone who has no real brand loyalty and shifts their main platform all the time I do feel bad for my Nintendo and Xbox playing people) but considering SM PS4 was First Party and not only the best Spidey game but hands down the best media adaption of Peter outside of comics I want to see more of it, don't fix what's not broken I guess is how I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
What? Sony can use spider-man whenever they want, They have his movie rights.

It was talked about during the Venom movie iirc by the director that Sony couldn't use the Tom Holland Spider-Man while the Sony-MCU Spider-Man contract deal was going on. That's why as soon as the MCU deal was over Sony was saying Tom Holland's Spider-Man will be in their movies.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
OP add this please:

deadline.com

Spider-Man Back In Action As Sony Agrees To Disney Co-Fi For New Movie, Return To MCU: How Spidey’s Web Got Untangled

UPDATED with more details: Sony has agreed to the terms that Disney originally proposed for its participation in a third Spider-Man movie, whereby Disney/Marvel would co-finance 25% of a third Homecoming movie for a 25% equity stake. The deal also calls for Spider-Man appearing in one more...

The co-fiancing number was reported to be 50%-30% in previous reports.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAA THE SALT IS ON A ROLL TODAY HOW IVE MISSED THIS MCU STANS NEVER LOSE!!!
tumblr_ndruv5xgxQ1ql5yr7o1_500.gif
I liked most MCU movies including the Spider-man films but they definitely went overboard with the Tony connection and it was the weakest part about FFH.

You need to learn that criticism isn't anti stanning or salt or whatever.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well this news is meh since I am lukewarm about any Peter stuff from either Studio (though hopefully it kills the Madame Web pitch, the more I think the more I want one of Sony's non marvel related movies to be Hammerhead/tombstone gang wars) so it's just kind of there.

What so do hope it means is that Sony keeps exclusivity for Spider-Man games. I usually am not a big fan of exclusive stuff especially for major third party IP (and as someone who has no real brand loyalty and shifts their main platform all the time I do feel bad for my Nintendo and Xbox playing people) but considering SM PS4 was First Party and not only the best Spidey game but hands down the best media adaption of Peter outside of comics I want to see more of it, don't fix what's not broken I guess is how I feel.
If Disney wants more copies sold they will have it on multiple systems. There is not um 90 million ps5's out there when the next one comes out. There are 90 million other gamers out there though.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
ben parker is not mentioned in the movies as far i remember , and the father figure in the movies is stark, where the moral code comes and his inspiration, he's even stark heir in the second movie, so Stark replaced Ben, but relax its ok to like and to not like. One does not make the other right, its taste in the end.

He is referred to multiple times in Civil War, Homecoming and Far From Home