• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source with more at the link:
asia.nikkei.com

Facebook and Sony ramp up output of gaming devices

Oculus VR headsets and PlayStation 5 benefit as demand soars in pandemic

Meanwhile Sony, the world's No. 2 video game console maker after Nintendo by shipments, has also raised production orders for its upcoming PlayStation 5 to around 9 million units, from the roughly 6 million units it had planned in spring, sources familiar with the matter said. The PlayStation 5 is the first completely new generation of the console in seven years, after the Japanese company launched the PlayStation 4 in 2013 and an upgrade in 2016.

The rest of the article mainly talks about Oculus and the VR market.

Update:

Last edited:

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be sold out no matter what so this is great news. Hopefully fucks over the scalpers.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Seems like they are expecting a lot of demand...

Waiting for first day gifs

3167497-4167059142-65bCq.gif

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
That makes a lot more sense than the 5-6M by March 2021. They should clear 6M in 2020 alone. Will be easier knowing they have a cheaper digital SKU.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Scalpers about to triple up now.

Hit me up for a PS5 - only $999

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
6 million was an indication to me that a high price would dampen adoption. Maybe they just perceive the economy will recover quicker than they previously thought.

Good news for early adopters!

lamalande

Feb 9, 2019
User Warned: Platform Warring
It's almost sad to see how hard Xbox has tried but they seem to already have lost this generation. The first at 10 millions, win the generation. And it'll definitely be Sony.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear that.
I'm not 100% certain that I'll be pre-ordering and buying on launch day, but I'd definitely like to get a hold of one soon after if I decide to wait.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I thought it was an odd decision to cut supply by that much, but it's worth seeing if they can make it back up. It's hard to know how demand is gonna match up, but I thought this was the biggest liability for Sony coming into the launch. Good to see they're adjusting.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Increase it to 20 million, it'll still be sold out. Very glad to hear they're aiming higher with their production.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
There is now also a good chance that Japan will get PS5 same time as the rest of the world in late 2020. With PS4 they had to wait a few months.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city

Google translate

Although Mr. Ryumoto of Nikkei had put it out ahead of time, Sony has significantly increased the number of PS5 production in the first year and reported that it is about 10 million units. However, due to logistics issues, it remains unclear how many stores will be lined up within the year. The English version is a little more detailed, so please wait for a while.

more info

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I need to try and score 3 units once pre-orders open up. One for me and 2 for my nieces and nephews as their Christmas gifts. I feel between Amazon, Best Buy and The Source that I'll stand a decent chance of locking down the 3 units I need.

Some of my friends wanted me to pick up extra units for them but fuck that, this is all I'm getting and everyone else is on their own.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It's almost sad to see how hard Xbox has tried but they seem to already have lost this generation. The first at 10 millions, win the generation. And it'll definitely be Sony.
We literally have no idea what Xbox plans to manufacture lol. Both will sell out this year.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Sounds like, they've managed to hit a really compelling price point for both models, that has made them realize there will probably be more demand than anticipated.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony knows you don't need a lesser model, just go with one and give what people want.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
How is it that we haven't got any PS5 hardware leaks yet? :(

We've already got freaking schematics and case dummies for iphone 12.