• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is so fucking stupid.

Whoever is in charge of communication there have not been doing a good job for years now.

Also calling this an exploit is something considering Sony is the one that invented it. Honestly if you are going to do this shit either announce it from the beginning or don't announce anything until service is ready.

The lack of common sense and some critical thinking is just staggering.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Am I reading it correctly that adding a Now subsriction now, if I don't have one at all, is too late to apply it to the full and long PS+ period I have already in place?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Am I reading it correctly that adding a Now subsriction now, if I don't have one at all, is too late to apply it to the full and long PS+ period I have already in place?
If you don't have PS NOW, it should work. That said, they have not sold PS NOW for months. There are very few available codes online and they are been sold at high prices.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So my plus sub ends at end of may I believe, the new service goes live near the end of June in Australia. Ps now isn't even available here so that doesn't matter much for me.

I can get a discount on the 12 month plus subs so if I get like 2 years worth I can just apply them in that 1 month grace period between my sub lapsing and the new service going live?

Actually come think of it, I would only be able to apply ONE year, because as soon as I redeem one year I'll have to wait until the new service goes live before I can redeem the second year?

I most likely would be going for the ps plus extra tier anyway as I don't think I'll be playing a lot of ps1/ps2 games to justify the extra fee.

Yes. During the month your sub ends you cna apply just one year of one month PS plus + 111 months of essentials automatically. Then everything else you have to choose manually.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Ooof

Way to start your new service you intend to compete with Game Pass, Sony!
This was NEVER supposed to compete with Gamepass. Gamepass is way better in every way. They have day 1 games, Sony wont.

Sony is so afraid that this service wont be worth the $120 value they put on it they wont even give a list of games included with the service a mere month and a half before launch . That's pathetic and why so many stacked at half off in the first place. I would never give full value to a service Sony doesn't even have enough confidence in themselves.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
They updated the page. As we feared.
www.playstation.com

PlayStation®Plus | Hundreds of games to download and play, PlayStation classics, game trials and more

Join PlayStation Plus on an Essential, Extra or Premium membership plan and get hundreds of PS4 and PS5 games, online multiplayer, classics catalog, exclusive discounts and more.

I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it before the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
  • If you are not a current member of the service the voucher is for, you can redeem your voucher using PS4, PS5, Web and Mobile App. Click here for instructions. If you join PlayStation Plus and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will transition into PlayStation Plus Essential. If you join PlayStation Now and still have an active membership when the new PlayStation Plus service launches, you will automatically migrate to the PlayStation Plus Premium.
  • If you currently have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now membership, due to changes we are making to the service prior to launch, you won't be able to redeem a voucher code for that service until your existing membership expires and deactivates, or after the new PlayStation Plus service launches in your area, whichever happens first. Rest assured that your voucher code is still valid. See next question for further information.
I have a PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now 1-month, 3-month or 12-month membership voucher. What will happen if I redeem it after the new PlayStation Plus service launches?
If you do not have an active membership:

• The PlayStation Plus voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Essential for the length of time denoted on your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to one month of PlayStation Plus Essential.
  • The PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will provide you access to PlayStation Plus Premium for the length of time equivalent to the monetary value of your original voucher. For example, a one-month PlayStation Now voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
If you are an existing customer:

• The PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now voucher you redeem will be converted to a length of time on your current PlayStation Plus membership plan equivalent to the monetary value of the voucher you are redeeming. For example, a 1-month PlayStation Plus voucher will provide access to approximately 3 weeks of PlayStation Plus Extra or approximately 2.5 weeks of PlayStation Plus Premium. See conversion chart here for details.
edited: to include omitted question.

tumblr_mhjfjfUEag1rt6u7do1_500.gif

Get fuuuucked.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.
The fact that I can't change the country on my existing PSN account is downright ridiculous, even if I'm in a tiny fraction of users who have moved (temporarily or otherwise) to a different country since ever owning a PS3, PS4, or PS5. I do not want to maintain two PSN accounts, so I'm stuck paying in CAD for digital games.
I'm sorry you can't change regions on a PSN Account????

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was NEVER supposed to compete with Gamepass. Gamepass is way better in every way. They have day 1 games, Sony wont.

Sony is so afraid that this service wont be worth the $120 value they put on it they wont even give a list of games included with the service a mere month and a half before launch . That's pathetic and why so many stacked at half off in the first place. I would never give full value to a service Sony doesn't even have enough confidence in themselves.
It was foolish for sure, but I was excited for the classic games and I assumed I would want the service anyway so I went for it at a discounted price.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Well we called it. Staying quiet until Friday then waving the middle finger as off into the weekend they go...

Good will from PlayStation is nothing but hazy, distant memories... lockdown's Play At Home is about the only thing I can think of in recent memory.

They had the perfect blueprint on how to handle this transition from xbox, and they chose not to equal or better it but instead be greedy and self-defeating.

I cannot weigh up the big brain decision to burn good will, have yet more disatrous PR stories encircling the brand and sky it into row Z with an open goal from 6 yards... all to save what must be an absolute rounding error sum of money. Some bean counter suit probably thought they were justifying their existence here, but everyone up the chain signed off on this shit and decided this was the best way to communicate things. It's sad to see.

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Really shows how much Sony cares for their most 'loyal' fans. There are people trying to lock themselves into the Sony ecosystem for years and they're just giving them the middle finger. I personally wasn't stacking, because I'd much rather wait and see what the service has to offer. But if I was affected by this issue right now, I'd probably rethink about locking myself into their ecosystem. And I honestly doubt it's legal to refuse gift cards that are bought in stores, at least in Germany.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Rodelero
Here is a link for the US, since we had the discussion about the legality of it all. Europe typically is more harsh on companies and protects consumers even more.

Although the following list is not exhaustive, Michigan law prohibits merchants from doing any of the following:

• refusing to accept a gift card for personal, family, or household use UNLESS it has an expiration date that is more than five years from the date of purchase, and the gift card is presented after the expiration date;
  • changing the terms and conditions of a gift card after the time of purchase;
www.michigan.gov

Gift Cards & Gift Certificates

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
Sony should have announced this at the same time they announced how the subscription migration to the packages would work.
It was clear that people would run off to stack PS Plus subscriptions as a result of the announcement and this could have been avoided by communicating this properly.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Really shows how much Sony cares for their most 'loyal' fans. There are people trying to lock themselves into the Sony ecosystem for years and they're just giving them the middle finger.
They've shown time and time again they don't give a flying fuck about the core fanbase.
But it's always entertaining to see fanboys bending over backwards to defend them while bitching about all the "negativity" around the subject.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I understand wanting to block this kind of thing, but the optics are bad and the way they've been handling this and things like Horizon's PS5 version's price is starting to turn into a series of less than remarkable PR situations, to put it mildly.

I miss how smooth they were for most of the PS4 cycle!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The difference is that Microsoft can take chances and losses on Xbox because Xbox isn't Microsoft's main moneymaker.
Microsoft isn't taking any loss on Xbox. Xbox is a profitable business.

- regardless of who's at fault
I thought you said you aren't excusing Sony? What they've done hear is at least very, very, very questionable legally as you can read below. If it's not straight up illegal. So there is no excuse. Not for a billion dollars company like Sony with over 40 billion cash in hand (2021) and not for a one man company in the basement of grandma's house with 10€ cash in hand. So I dunno why you and others keep mentioning Microsoft?

www.michigan.gov

If they don't wanna let people do the trick, then find another solution or stop selling cards Sony refuse to honor! They could've easily said from now on (say 20th April) all redeemed PS+ cards give you essential. If you had PS+ and Now beforehand, you get premium. Done.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Rodelero
Here is a link for the US, since we had the discussion about the legality of it all. Europe typically is more harsh on companies and protects consumers even more.

www.michigan.gov

IANAL, but I don't think the cards/codes in question are defined as gift cards. Microsoft's policy of limiting you people to a 36 month subscription would be in breach. I think there's a fairly clear distinction between a code that entitles to you to a certain amount of credit and a code that entitles you to a service for a given amount of time.

My feeling is that if there was a legal issue at play here it's going to surround one of:
1. Consumer vs retailers over refunds
2. Retailers vs Sony because these codes no longer work as they used to
3. Sony breaching ToS

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IANAL, but I don't think the cards/codes in question are defined as gift cards. Microsoft's policy of limiting you people to a 36 month subscription would be in breach. I think there's a fairly clear distinction between a code that entitles to you to a certain amount of credit and a code that entitles you to a service for a given amount of time.

My feeling is that if there was a legal issue at play here it's going to surround one of:
3. Sony breaching ToS
Keep moving those goalposts lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is this even supposed to be a real Gamepass competitor?

Because it really ain't. I was hoping for more. I'll be sticking with vanilla PS+.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
It seems really unnecessary from Sony. How many people would of taken advantage of this? I cant see it being so many that its becomes an issue.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa

3. Sony breaching ToS
Since they are treating them like cash-equivalent cards in their updated FAQ, they pretty implied they are gift cards now.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Then Spencer is lying? Cool.
We don't need to go around and around on this, we can just look at one example. MS is spending $70 billion on AB, they are not making that investment back for a long, long time.

Which is totally fine. The internet obsession with Xbox making a profit has always been rediculous from both all sides. It's not, and that's good, MS is investing in the business to grow, as they should be.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have announced a cut off date or make prior arrangements.

I forget how Xbox handled the transition. I want to say I remember them saying "after this date conversion starts"
Xbox still allows for stacking & converting your XBL Gold to GPU 1:1. Four years later. You just have to let your sub end and then renew with XBL Gold & convert it again to take advantage of the deal again.

If you have an active GPU subscription and try redeeming XBL Gold it has always converted to 4 months of GPU if I recall correctly.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Since they are treating them like cash-equivalent cards in their updated FAQ, they pretty implied they are gift cards now.

Are you referring to the way that old fashioned PS+ & PS Now cards will convert to the different tiers? I see your point, but while they can't actually be converted to credit they don't seem to be gift cards.

Just your behavior in this thread. Every time someone disproves your Sony defense you come up with something new.

Do you think Microsoft are breaking the rules listed on that site?

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you referring to the way that old fashioned PS+ & PS Now cards will convert to the different tiers? I see your point, but while they can't actually be converted to credit they don't seem to be gift cards.

Do you think Microsoft are breaking the rules listed on that site?
I don't give a fuck what microsoft is doing. The thread is about Sony advertising PS+ and PS Now members will get Premium for the duration of their longest sub. Then completely switching their policy and not accepting those codes or offering a refund. You all have been trying to go to crazy lengths to defend Sony in this matter. Like your latest defense "PS+ is not a giftcard."

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Xbox still allows for stacking & converting your XBL Gold to GPU 1:1. Four years later. You just have to let your sub end and then renew with XBL Gold & convert it again to take advantage of the deal again.

If you have an active GPU subscription and try redeeming XBL Gold it has always converted to 4 months of GPU if I recall correctly.

Got it. I don't want to detail. I was just foggy on details when they first started program.

Maybe it was game pass to ultimate. There was something.