• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I believe much of the delay on the PS5 unveiling/info is due to having 2 huge PS4-related releases getting delayed:

"We are going to get The Last of Us Part II out at the end of next month, and we're going to get Ghost of Tsushima out the month after that. And both with only small delays. And really, they were delays that were born out of complete uncertainty about the distribution scenario when we had to pull the trigger. It was like the world was heading into this big black hole, and we didn't know whether the internet would be working, we didn't know whether warehouses would be able to operate. So we took the cautious approach. But the games are ready to go and we are feeling really good about them. "

Oct 27, 2017
You know it's quite logical that when I spend my hard earned money on a new console, my expectation is to play games that are only possible on that new console. If I want to play games on the older generation console I can always turn that console on and play it there. There are many reasons why TV have multiple HDMI ports and this is one of them.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Port begging

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Please explain to me the magic fairy dust that makes code work differently on the PS5.

It's not just code, it's also the business model, but I don't think you're actually receptive to people explaining that to you.

Not releasing a game on a given platform does not equal "being a dick" to players on that platform, jesus christ.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Microsoft isn't?

If the reason is being a dick to the PC crowd, mission successful I guess. They are not obligated, but Playstation gamers would lose nothing by their games being available on PC.

Windows is a Microsoft platform, which they should be supporting.

Do you have to same attitude towards Mac players or Linux players not being served by Microsoft? Plug an external GPU into a Mac and it's well capable of playing any Microsoft exclusive.

I'd love more PS exclusives to come to PC so I can play them in higher resolutions and framerates, but I also fully understand why they're not on PC.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Excited to see next gen only games.

Expecting big things from Geurilla with Horizon 2.

Give me an Uncharted game with an actual Indian protagonist, not a retconned existing character.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think it's funny that he basically is saying the same thing as Microsoft last gen about the shift to a new platform and people are praising him

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Ah yes, I can't wait for the experiences "that can only be enjoyed on PS5" like the next two years of third party cross-generation releases

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
And Microsoft isn't?

If the reason is being a dick to the PC crowd, mission successful I guess. They are not obligated, but Playstation gamers would lose nothing by their games being available on PC.

Horizon has been confirmed to be coming to pc right? I get what you're saying but I don't think they want their ps5 games day one with pc.

Its more likely that years later some titles will come over there much like Horizon if it does come by this summer.

The fact that they're even letting ps4 first party be part of pc is them being quite more open than ever before.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
And Microsoft isn't?

You're not gonna win this argument, friend.

Sony has their own strategy, and it remains to be seen if PC will become a bigger part of it.

Until it does, they'll continue to promote exclusivity culture.

It is what it is.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
No matter how nicely he tries to frame this, it's still a pretty scumbag move on Sony's part to not release their exclusives on PC.
3u6J.gif

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
You know it's quite logical that when I spend my hard earned money on a new console, my expectation is to play games that are only possible on that new console. If I want to play games on the older generation console I can always turn that console on and play it there. There are many reasons why TV have multiple HDMI ports and this is one of them.

Fortunately, we have a product for people who wants to play PlayStation 4, it's called PlayStation 4

I think it's funny that he basically is saying the same thing as Microsoft last gen about the shift to a new platform and people are praising him

Indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
Please explain to me the magic fairy dust that makes code work differently on the PS5.
Go Google demand and supply or Economics 101. After that research Monopoly, duopoly and oligopoly. Once you have a grasp on all of those easy concepts then research about game theory and especially the Nash Equilibrium and you will be enlightened on why Sony won't release their exclusive on PC.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Jim gets it. This is the reason why I purchase next-gen consoles, to play new videogame experiences not possible on prior generation of consoles. Not to merely play cross-gen games in slightly upgraded visuals.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
still only talking about SSD, dual sense and 3D audio. No mention of ray tracing. Likewise though I think MS aren't pushign that hard. I know we have no idea still how well AMD's new GPUs will handle it, but this relative quietness suggests it won't be a key feature?

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK that's just silly. Of course Microsoft is trying to sell consoles.
Consoles and PCs are not the same crowd.
Difference being that Microsoft caters to both audiences, and Sony isn't.
No. MS are primarily software based no? Yes they make hardware and as a XB1X owner, they CAN make great hardware (surface too, OG xb not so much :/ ) But if your invested in that infrastructure it's a win for them not matter what platform you play on? The way they talk about MAU's and such less about hardware numbers you kind of get that impression. And Satya has said himself about breaking down these barriers and working cooperatively even if it helps another part of s rival business,like hooking up with playstation on the cloud side and such.

So they are heavy on how they can get people to interact with there services regardless of what box they play on and every business needs to play to there strengths. Playstation hardware is one of Sony's better ones so they need to keep people on that and give them a reason to stay there.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
The money they put aside for indie devs is a noble move. His comments concerning them was the best part of the article.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If they skip ps4 because they want to make use of ps5 features then it's obviously nice. However, a theoretical Demons Souls Remaster for example that allegedly was in development for ps4 and was canceled to be ps5 exclusive, or even Godfall would not be good examples as they just arbitrarily canned the ps4 version of the game.

So I hope it's less of the latter and more of the former. And let's go!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it really needed to be said again, but with all the 'Sony-too' commentary around cross-gen games, it's good to have a very definitive confirmation that they're sticking to the traditional next-gen approach with next-gen games.

Now they just have to 'prove' the benefit of the approach - or prove it again. Hopefully we get a first indication - that early 'showcase' - with one or two of these first games.
Yep.