• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't understand why Horizon and Miles being crossgen can be a bad thing. Miles gameplay looked great, the game coming out on PS4 won't make it look any worse. We haven't seen gameplay from Horizon, but the same will happen.

In fact, so far Sony is the only one with a game that truly looks next-gen - Demon'a Souls remaster. I'm glad PC gamers might experience this as well, and even Xbox players in the future as it seems.

The only downer IMO is $70 games, but I guess this would happen eventually. I think this will be the new standard for every game, not a Sony exclusive thing. If the other publishers keep it cheaper, I doubt Sony will maintain this higher price.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
-is no disc drive really worth $100 less? that disc drive tax is kinda high

It's not a "disc drive tax," since Sony, like Microsoft, are presumably selling both systems at below cost. What's actually happening is Sony is taking a more substantial hit on the DE in order to incentivize more gamers to switch to digital only, since they get a bigger share of the profits from digital titles. Microsoft is using the same strategy for the Series S.

That said, $70 games are a major turn-off for me, so I'm with you on that point.

Edit: The cross-gen game discourse in this thread is bewildering to me. Doesn't the PS4 have an istall base of like 100 million? Of course they're going to try to release as many games as possible on both systems until more people buy a PS5. Anything else would be borderline self-destructive from a business standpoint.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The thing with Horizon killed the hype for me. That was the game I wanted to see make full use of the PS5 the most. Any other game could have been crossgen. And the 80€ price tag just fucked it all up.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
10000000000000% agree.

I honestly didn't know people were disappointed until I checked across this forum. Everywhere else I visit is hyped (unless you're mentioning people not knowing when to preorder).

I feel like maybe those people dont realize that games are now going up in price because of next gen tax.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me wth is wrong with cross gen? Are people angry that more people get to play recent games with their current gen consoles?

Look at how they marketed these consoles. "MOST POWERFUL HARDWARE EVER, TWELVE TERO-FALOPS BABEH!" "We believe in generations" "previous consoles couldn't do this"

*2 months before release*

"Oh actually these games we've been showing are PS4 games and they cost $70 now".

That's AWFUL marketing.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Between the $70 games, FF16 looking like butt, Horizon being a cross-gen game, and the launch lineup having no killers (for me) - I'm just gonna wait.

There's plenty to play the next year on PS4 and Switch already.

If anything all this news is making PC gaming more appealing than ever. No cross gen stuff to worry about, cheaper game prices, and everything seems to end up on there eventually anyway.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This basically reads as `lolz sux to be poor!' seriously cause poor people don't have a right to escape and entertainment, they should be happy just to eat and have roof above there head. Try to have a little empathy for people not as fortunate as yourself

There are tons of cheap ways to get into games these days. So don't even with that bullshit. If you can afford to shell out for the brand new console at launch and buy a $60 game a marginal increase of $10 isn't going to break the bank at that point.

Jun 20, 2018
After the Xbox news I was so impressed, while right now I feel so negative about PS5. They're in near enough the same situation though. Same price. Both mostly focused on crosgen right now (at least Sony has some next ten only stuff), and likely both with increased prices for games.

Sony made such a mistake making a big deal out of "next gen is next gem" if this was their plan, while Game Pass makes £70 games less of an issue.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm frankly shocked that crossgen, a pro-consumer move, is becoming such a source of controversy.

I know I already mentioned this somewhere else, but come on.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I echo OPs feeling. My hype is deflated, 80€ demon's souls, 70€ DualSense.

These were not the details I wanted...knowing the games are also coming to ps4 was a real kick in the gut.

Considering waiting for a good bundle now instead of launch...

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Of course people would start complaining about the 'disc drive tax'.

The disc-based console isn't being marked up. Hell, they're still probably losing money on it at $500. The digital one is just being heavily marked down to incentivize people to go with that one. Sony can justify this because they make a lot more from each digital game sale than they do physical copies.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Look at how they marketed these consoles. "MOST POWERFUL HARDWARE EVER, TWELVE TERO-FALOPS BABEH!" "We believe in generations" "previous consoles couldn't do this"

*2 months before release*

"Oh actually these games we've been showing are PS4 games and they cost $70 now".

That's AWFUL marketing.
MS was raked over the coals for this stance, maybe Sony to hide this until the last possible minute?

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
IDK would you prefer a leaky ship like Xbox leading up to an event, or everything official at once? I kinda prefer the dump-like Directs so there's no questions about my news

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
"Console exclusives are time exclusives". Why do people care about this? I thought everyone was against Sony moneyhatting.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't think people are mad at cross gen, it's the way it was marketed.

Making customers feel duped isn't a great look.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If people don't take to $70, then sales will happen even faster than they do now and they're already really fast. Be patient.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Everything goes up? I don't get the problem....after 15+ years of $60 after years of $50...I don't see the big deal of $10 more. Currency wherever you at be damned but I don't think it's unrealistic to see thing get higher with inflation. Everything went up as a society, this doesn't bother me.
Weak. It's not just $10 more in Europe or many other parts of the world.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
I'm sure people have already commented on this, but...

-is no disc drive really worth $100 less? that disc drive tax is kinda high

You're thinking this backwards. It's not that the disc drive is worth $100, but rather that they're making it far cheaper than it should've been because Microsoft is releasing a $299 next-gen console.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
If MS did any one of these things they would be destroyed for it. That being said 399 is a crazy good price for the ps5.

Status
Not open for further replies.