• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
but if you look at it even from a cynical PR point of view, the riots in the US is global news. sony's event isn't just about relating information, it's also to create awareness around their product. if they were to do this now it would gain so little traction against the constant influx of information that is being generated all over the country every second

it's a good choice to delay the stream from both a moral and a business stand point
Even mainstream news outlets need to fill tech columns with something. There's space for this news alongside more important world events and I don't think it will necessarily get lost in a sea of horror stories. People surely want something to be excited about, even in the worst times, right?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Even mainstream news outlets need to fill tech columns with something. There's space for this news alongside more important world events and I don't think it will necessarily get lost in a sea of horror stories. People surely want something to be excited about, even in the worst times, right?
just because it's being reported on doesn't mean that the news is penetrating

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Sony has been so consistent this year in how they're handling current events.

Hope they maintain this energy cause this is what I fuck with!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
They need to delay the event, otherwise this is meaningless.

"Meaningless"?

*checks post history*

Oh.

Anyway yeah I wouldn't say meaningless. They can also have a great presentation that draws more attention to their social media pages. Where they say they are willing to use their platform to bring more awareness as to why Black Lives Matter.

I mean they get millions of views just for a logo... or just for a controller.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
At least they're doing more than just lazily posting a message on their twitter and not taking action like all of these other accounts. Good on them but I'm waiting to see action

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion is: if they want to delay the event, it's fine, but it would be more sensible to continue the event and lead it with a message about BLM, talking about how much money PlayStation is donating and how someone can donate. It would get a lot of attention as millions of people will be watching.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
I would rebut any thinking that this American crisis is uniquely American instead of especially American. It is a global conversation, or at least it should be.

Agreed, though many of the underlying factors are uniquely American, or at least have not been addressed by America. Social welfare, healthcare, equal and affordable education opportunity, gun control - these are particularly American issues that have created a powder keg where American police are killing American citizens (disproportionately African American men) instead of protecting them.

It is not like the World Trade Center was in Romania and police brutality and racism are exclusively a American thing.

Conflating a foreign act of aggression (terrorism) with a sovereign domestic issue is not helping the cause.
Post 9/11 the United States needed the diplomatic and physical backing of the world to tackle the issue of global terrorism.

It is not the same in this instance. For starters, foreign allies rarely make comment about domestic issues. While you will have the sympathy of the world, this is the American people's issue to solve.

Police brutality in countries with comparable values and opportunity as America claims to have is NOT anywhere near at the scale it is in America.
Racism is a global issue, yes, but it is not the only prejudicial behaviour causing black men to die or be incarcerated in America. There are systemic domestic issues across many (most) states of America that continue to oppress African Americans and other minority groups, and continue the cycle of deep inequality.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Do Uighur Muslim lives matter, Sony?

A report by an Australian think tank has identified 83 global brands whose supply chains in China are employing Uighur Muslims in conditions that could amount to forced labour.

Tens of thousands of minority Muslims have been transferred out of China's western Xinjiang province and delivered as workers to major factories as part of a government scheme, according to the report by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI).

China has been accused of detaining more than a million Uighurs in Xinjiang as part of what it calls a campaign to tackle Islamist extremism. It initially denied this, before recently saying that all those in the "vocational centres" had "graduated" and been given jobs.

The ASPI report, based on analysis of government documents and local media reports, said the Uighurs continued to live "a harsh, segregated life" once they entered the workforce of major factories.

More than 80,000 Uighurs had been transferred far from their homes to work in at least 27 factories across nine provinces, it said.

There, the workers continued to be subject to surveillance, banned from practising their religion, forced to take part in mandarin language classes and restricted in their travel back to Xinjiang.

"Under conditions that strongly suggest forced labour, Uighurs are working in factories that are in the supply chains of at least 83 well-known global brands in the technology, clothing and automotive sectors, including Apple, BMW, Gap, Huawei, Nike, Samsung, Sony and Volkswagen," the think-tank said in the introduction to its report.

www.independent.co.uk

Apple, Samsung and Sony among 83 global brands using Uighur Muslim 'forced labour' in factories, report finds

At least 80,000 Uighurs working across 27 Chinese factories that supply some of biggest brand names in the world

These hollow statements by multinational corporations don't mean shit.

Their care extends only as far as your continued ability to consume their products. Once you're in their factories though, no statements or 'woke' Twitter replies for you.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
And you think attacking whatever or being violent is solving anything? Do you really believe that? All its doing is making noise and drawing attention. But I can promise you, it's not going to stop that racist bastard in his house right now not even paying any attention to all this shooting down one of us 3 years from now.

Like I don't get this at all...

You can not protest, riot, or burn away racism. The police guy in question has been charged and would no doubt be locked up, like any other offender. Do you really think these protests would stop another racist fuck from being racist in a couple of years?
That racist bastard tucked away in his basement isn´t going to change his mind no matter what, just like the fuckface in the White House. That´s not what this is about, just come out and say what you mean instead of beating around the bush because your mask is slipping.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
My opinion is: if they want to delay the event, it's fine, but it would be more sensible to continue the event and lead it with a message about BLM, talking about how much money PlayStation is donating and how someone can donate. It would get a lot of attention as millions of people will be watching.

I'm coming round to this way of thinking...

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Good on them, for the people that are calling for the event to be delayed, Sony didn't delay the PS4 reveal although parts of the world were going to shit, the USA is not the only country in the world.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chris Franklin's take is the correct one as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry, I just don't get the warm and fuzzy feelings from our corporate masters.

I know it's fun to shit on corporations.

But, when the alternative is silence (or worse),
ill gladly take this corporate pandering.

Criticising companies for trying to be allies seems counter productive.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I agree. They will have a lot of eyes on them and this would probably help way more than delaying the event.

Oct 25, 2017
just because it's being reported on doesn't mean that the news is penetrating
Do you think if it weren't for these events the PS5 would be on front pages of every paper and web site? I understand the intuition that world events will supersede tech news in people's minds, but I'm not sure I see the mechanism by which that happens. People are just reading the bad news continuously from morning to night? They're still going to do their normal social media checks and whatever other recreational things. The amount of bad news it's possible to absorb in a day is overwhelming but people are still going to live their lives.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They should delay the event I think. Nothing should take attention away from what's happening in America right now. Instead use that time to give BLM a global platform.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
And you think attacking whatever or being violent is solving anything? Do you really believe that? Allits dong is making noise and drawing attention. But I can promise you, it's not going to stop that racist bastard in his house right now not even paying any attention to al this shooting down one of us 3 years from now.

Like I don't et this at all...

You can not protest, riot, or burn away racism. The police guy i question has been charged and would no doubt be locked up, like any other offender. Do you really think these protests would stop another racist fuck from being racist in a couple of years?
The most important thing to understand is that the problem being protested is SYSTEMIC. The "police guy" or any "racist fuck" is part of racist system that enables them to flourish while pushing down minorities. That is why there is so much anger, not just that the "police guy" killed someone, but that the police have been doing it many times with minimal repercussions due to the blue wall of silence

And you can fight away a system. It has happened many times before

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm in love with these statements.

I'm torn on the whole "delay the event" thing. On one hand, the timing of the event when a major protest is occurring against racial injustice is a little tone deaf. On the other hand, people need an escape as the news can really take a toll on the mental health of people.

Personally, I think having the event and putting an awareness segment at the beginning might be a good compromise. Remember, E3 2016 (I believe it was 2016) had Shawn Layden give a "we stand together" speech at the beginning of the conference in the wake of the Orlando nightclub massacre.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
This is NOT a U.S. only situation. Do you think there aren't black people oppressed in other countries? There are protests all over the world right now.
This is huge and yes the pandemic is a serious issue as well. But that doesn't mean that we can ignore this. We've been fighting for equal rights for how long now? And this is still happening.

Systemic racism against people of color is a worldwide thing. Even police brutality. The systemic killing of black people/poc by police, however, is not.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
The world doesn't have to stop every time something happens in the U.S. I wouldn't mind a statement before the PS5 reveal to signal boost, but delaying the event is just meaningless.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm torn on the whole "delay the event" thing. On one hand, the timing of the event when a major protest is occurring against racial injustice is a little tone deaf. On the other hand, people need an escape as the news can really take a toll on the mental health of people.

Personally, I think having the event and putting an awareness segment at the beginning might be a good compromise. Remember, E3 2016 (I believe it was 2016) had Shawn Layden give a "we stand together" speech at the beginning of the conference in the wake of the Orlando nightclub massacre.

I'm of the mind they start the event with a talk about what's happening, donations and a donation match.

Use money for good, bring awareness to it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

c15f40f1920e4d62cf77e79b3951d897.png

Good stuff.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

I think putting a front-facing message with millions of people watching will leave have a bigger impact than doing nothing.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Good on them. I couldn't agree more.

Nothing is going to change until more people in power take a stand.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Their social team is amazing for those replies. Whatever helps spread the message is wonderful to me.

Last edited:

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It's good to see corporations beginning to take sides.
They are powerful societal players. Let's what they can do.
I hope this extends past usual attempts by corporations to engage in social topics.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do you think if it weren't for these events the PS5 would be on front pages of every paper and web site? I understand the intuition that world events will supersede tech news in people's minds, but I'm not sure I see the mechanism by which that happens. People are just reading the bad news continuously from morning to night? They're still going to do their normal social media checks and whatever other recreational things. The amount of bad news it's possible to absorb in a day is overwhelming but people are still going to live their lives.
do you really genuinely think that the news of a console reveal is going to have as much impact as it would have a week ago today? of course this impacts it, and it impacts it significantly

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter replies are so insufferable. I want to slap every single person who says "all lives matter" Pisses me off so much.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Seeing more discussion here than in the EtcetEra thread, so I'm posting my response there in here.

Also probably worth posting this video once again:

Do Uighur Muslim lives matter, Sony?

A report by an Australian think tank has identified 83 global brands whose supply chains in China are employing Uighur Muslims in conditions that could amount to forced labour.

Tens of thousands of minority Muslims have been transferred out of China's western Xinjiang province and delivered as workers to major factories as part of a government scheme, according to the report by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI).

China has been accused of detaining more than a million Uighurs in Xinjiang as part of what it calls a campaign to tackle Islamist extremism. It initially denied this, before recently saying that all those in the "vocational centres" had "graduated" and been given jobs.

The ASPI report, based on analysis of government documents and local media reports, said the Uighurs continued to live "a harsh, segregated life" once they entered the workforce of major factories.

More than 80,000 Uighurs had been transferred far from their homes to work in at least 27 factories across nine provinces, it said.

There, the workers continued to be subject to surveillance, banned from practising their religion, forced to take part in mandarin language classes and restricted in their travel back to Xinjiang.

"Under conditions that strongly suggest forced labour, Uighurs are working in factories that are in the supply chains of at least 83 well-known global brands in the technology, clothing and automotive sectors, including Apple, BMW, Gap, Huawei, Nike, Samsung, Sony and Volkswagen," the think-tank said in the introduction to its report.

www.independent.co.uk

Apple, Samsung and Sony among 83 global brands using Uighur Muslim 'forced labour' in factories, report finds

At least 80,000 Uighurs working across 27 Chinese factories that supply some of biggest brand names in the world

These hollow statements by multinational corporations don't mean shit.

Their care extends only as far as your continued ability to consume their products. Once you're in their factories though, no statements or 'woke' Twitter replies for you.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
And you think attacking whatever or being violent is solving anything? Do you really believe that? All its doing is making noise and drawing attention. But I can promise you, it's not going to stop that racist bastard in his house right now not even paying any attention to all this shooting down one of us 3 years from now.

Like I don't get this at all...

You can not protest, riot, or burn away racism. The police guy in question has been charged and would no doubt be locked up, like any other offender. Do you really think these protests would stop another racist fuck from being racist in a couple of years?

Coming from a former communist country where people died back in '89 for their freedom and rights, that's bullshit.

There's no change if you're not willing to challenge them every day until they give.

Just two years ago we were tear gassed and beaten up by riot police in the streets when protesting the corruption in the govt. They went down. And guess what. Violence was always started during those protests by undercover agents.
This is how they control the narrative.

Not trying to equate what happened then to the BLM protests or minimise them in any way, they're way more important for the whole world than that.

At a certain point you can't just sit tight, do nothing, and tell yourself that this is the way it is. You should always challenge the status quo.