• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I know there's the cynical angle of "companies only do it for PR."

But the fact is, not enough companies come out and explicitly do it like this. This is quite unprecedented.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming's superhero Phil Spencer retweeted this too. Nice to see.
GSjv5Jq.png

Oct 27, 2017
You've misunderstood me. If Sony (or anyone) delay press conferences as an attempt to add more voice to this I'd be overjoyed, I think this issue cannot get enough attention.

My point is that there shouldn't be an automatic assumption that that would be the case, for the reasons I have outlined.

Fair enough if that's what you meant, but that did not come across in your post at all. But then it is late in the night here...

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people in the #AllLivesMatter camp are genuine though and do not want to propagate a race war (which only benefits those in power, divide & conquer and all that jazz...) but stand in solidarity with everyone protesting against the establishment and fascists.

Anyway just my two cents.

I'm not giving anyone who uses #AllLivesMatter the benefit of the doubt. It's hardly a new phrase, meaning if someone is still ignorant as to why it's a bullshit fog horn for dismissing and outright mocking the endemic situation of disproportionate violence against (and mass incarceration) of black folks, then that person is being willfully ignorant on purpose and I wouldn't give them the time of day. The people who typically use that hashtag and phrase absolutely know what they're doing. If someone genuinely wants to facilitate communal harmony and help bring an end to the very "race war" that is clearly instigated by the police and the elite institutions that shelter their trigger-happy asses, they'll instantly realise that Black Lives Matter doesn't mean Only Black Lives Matter as portrayed by bad faith actors and right wing agitators.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why not both?

When a large number of ppl are awaiting this event, Sony delaying it due to the protests would bring more awareness to folks
What would bring more awareness is talking about it at the start of the event.
Also can add content warning title cards before games that are violent.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Powerful words.

totally unexpected for a large corporation to make a stand like this.

As a black American who has witnessed this fight time and time again. This time feels different. Hopefully some real change comes.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Taking a stance is a great thing. It's better than silence for sure. I hope they take the next step and donate to the cause.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The timing might be inappropriate. Kind of tacky to try to unveil their new toy while every major city is on fire.

I hope this won't come across the wrong way, but that is a US situation and can hardly be compared to a world wide pandemic. The PS5 reveal is a world wide event, it would be weird to delay it because of a national issue even though it's big of course.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
What would bring more awareness is talking about it at the start of the event.
Also can add content warning title cards before games that are violent.
That could work too. I'm torn. I personally wouldn't be offended if they went forward with the show but I could see some folks. Not sure what the right move is here

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
You think only privileged people are gamers in 2020 ? lol
...yes? Phone games do have a lower barrier of entry, but console games require you to have
1. A usually stable supply of electricity
2. A TV/Monitor
3. Enough money to buy both the TV, electricity and the console
This disqualifies quite a lot of people already

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Exactly. Unfortunately this will not end any time soon although needs to. Destroying and terrorizing cities is not the answer to the problem. I think this is going to make race relations a lot worse.
Please tell me whats the answer to the problem then? Because no matter what us black people do, it doesn't mean shit. We protest peacefully, we get shot at, pepper sprayed etc. We mind our own business we still get attacked. No matter what we do in life, we are always being under attack. So please Mr Insightful, tell me what the fuck we need to do to get white people to stop treating us like fucking subhuman. I would fucking love to hear your solution to this. It seems to me the only shit white people repsond to is being violent towards them or hitting them financially because being peaceful doesn't seem to work.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Platform wars, concern trolling in a thread about racism. Long history of infractions for platform warring.
They need to delay the event, otherwise this is meaningless.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I hope this won't come across the wrong way, but that is a US situation and can hardly be compared to a world wide pandemic. The PS5 reveal is a world wide event, it would be weird to delay it because of a national issue even though it's big of course.
but if you look at it even from a cynical PR point of view, the riots in the US is global news. sony's event isn't just about relating information, it's also to create awareness around their product. if they were to do this now it would gain so little traction against the constant influx of information that is being generated all over the country every second

it's a good choice to delay the stream from both a moral and a business stand point

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Why not both?

When a large number of ppl are awaiting this event, Sony delaying it due to the protests would bring more awareness to folks

It's not a obscure movement going on, it's all over the news and social media. Anyone who doesn't know about it now is likely to just not care about it at all. I just don't see much value in delaying it when in such a stressful time people could do with something to watch and be excited about. For at least how long the event lasts for.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I would rebut any thinking that this American crisis is uniquely American instead of especially American. It is a global conversation, or at least it should be.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I'd also argue that even if it IS just for PR there's still merit in the action of showing support, even if the motivations are dodgy
Absolutely.

A proactive Consumer Action orientated Market is actually a good check and balance for society to have. Companies will chase that dollar if that dollar is tied to progressive politics.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The delay is ultimately meaningless.

They need to donate and match donations instead plus more. Substantive efforts to help rather than move an event out of sight for a week.
Yeah, pretty much. I don't know how things are going to look by Thursday, but out of respect, they might move the event.
But that's pointless on its own. Donations are what's going to truly help here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I wasn't expecting Sony or Microsoft to even address this. This is good, the more vocal (especially large corporations, with large audiences) output, the better.
Kudos to Sony and Microsoft.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh it most certainly can because it´s not a sole U.S. issue. Just because they spread in a different way doesn´t change that.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think Sony should delay the event of things haven't cooled down in the next couple of days.

I agree. It probably should be delayed. This could drag out and Sony has time on their side. Even if for a week, it'll show they're with the protesters
This whole delay nonsense is honestly the silliest thing I have heard.

So should TV stations shut down too? Fast food places close down in support? Gas stations? Hospitals? Bars?

What good in the world would delaying the event do? If anything you should be asking them to make donations or some shit like that. So far they have just done what I expected (and said) they would probably do.

And I am totally against anything that means people have more time to be on the streets burning things down and attacking people (even if those people are police). Like what the hell good does any of that shit do? Like isn't there enough shit going on already? We are in the midst of a bloody pandemic for crying out loud, and thousands of people are protesting and rioting (as noble an act as it may be) but in turn, risking themselves to exposure to a virus that doesn't care if you are black or white?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Like that the account isn't mincing words. Hope they use the platform for more signal boosting and donations.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pure bullshit from Sony as they had no problem in casting a white woman for the role of Nadine in Uncharted 4 and Lost legacy. How can you claim support Black lives if you aren't willing to cast them roles?
IIRC nadine was originally white and after they cast the actress, she was changed to black character.

It's not a great situation, but it isn't some insidious thing. Because making the character black came out of good intentions of increasing diversity of a popular game.

I don't agree with using one dubious example to say they shouldn't support the cause...when the alternative is them not make a statement at all...

Imo let allies be allies.

Last edited:

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, I could use some escapism next week. On the other, this is a global event and for a big percentage of people these developments are just as distant as the Hongkong protests, which despite all solidarity, also didn't shake up any major plans outside of where they happened. But I get that having this conference would feel strange in the US right now.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020

This is NOT a U.S. only situation. Do you think there aren't black people oppressed in other countries? There are protests all over the world right now.
This is huge and yes the pandemic is a serious issue as well. But that doesn't mean that we can ignore this. We've been fighting for equal rights for how long now? And this is still happening.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Sony. I saw an asshole using the alt-right NPC shit try to dissuade them by saying crap to them, the Sony account basically told the guy to F off by saying "our products can be replaced,can lives?"

Anyone against black lives matter is a part of the oppressors.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Please tell me whats the answer to the problem then? Because no matter what us black people do, it doesn't mean shit. We protest peacefully, we get shot at, pepper sprayed etc. We mind our own business we still get attacked. No matter what we do in life, we are always being under attack. So please Mr Insightful, tell me what the fuck we need to do to get white people to stop treating us like fucking subhuman. I would fucking love to hear your solution to this. It seems to me the only shit white people repsond to is being violent towards them or hitting them financially because being peaceful doesn't seem to work.
And you think attacking whatever or being violent is solving anything? Do you really believe that? All its doing is making noise and drawing attention. But I can promise you, it's not going to stop that racist bastard in his house right now not even paying any attention to all this shooting down one of us 3 years from now.

Like I don't get this at all...

You can not protest, riot, or burn away racism. The police guy in question has been charged and would no doubt be locked up, like any other offender. Do you really think these protests would stop another racist fuck from being racist in a couple of years?