• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah smacked in the middle between all the summer blockbusters like Aladdin and Godzilla and Endgame still making all the money.

I do not get why people believe suddenly Detective Pikachu is going to make 1 billion when none of video game movies have even come close.

Not sure about a billion but the movie actually looks genuinely good, so I think it will do very well.

Jan 10, 2018
Nah smacked in the middle between all the summer blockbusters like Aladdin and Godzilla and Endgame still making all the money.

I do not get why people believe suddenly Detective Pikachu is going to make 1 billion when none of video game movies have even come close.

Only Aladdin competes in the family friendly field and Pikachu the brand ambassador is WAY bigger than any other videogame franchise. Reynolds also doesn't hurt.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean to tell me that video game movies are bad? What a shocker.

Hollywood should just stop with this garbage. Maybe if this and Detective Pikachu bombs they will get the hint. Detective Pikachu is 100 percent likely to suck as well. No one actually watches these things anyway.
This post is gonna age like milk

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about the actual trailer, I can NOT get Gangster's Paradise out of my head now.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You mean to tell me that video game movies are bad? What a shocker.

Hollywood should just stop with this garbage. Maybe if this and Detective Pikachu bombs they will get the hint. Detective Pikachu is 100 percent likely to suck as well. No one actually watches these things anyway.
I'll make an avatar bet right now that Detective Pikachu clears 500 million at the box office, likely pretty quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
https:///wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FanFixSonic.jpg
sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-2.jpg

Was it really that hard for them to make Sonic look like Sonic ? SEGA surely can't be fully happy with this can they ? Unless they really don't give a shit about Sonic anymore.
The top is waay too cartoony, but the bottom? PERFECT BALANCE. I wonder how much just a body proportions change with nothing to the face would help

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's fucking Pokemon.

With a budget.

Oct 28, 2017
I really wish I cared about Pokemon so I could be excited for Detective Pikachu. Movie looks fun though I'll probably see it eventually. But yeah, Pokemon aint Sonic so naturally I'm far more excited for the Sonic movie.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

Pikachu shows his teeth, nobody bats an eye. but Sonic shows his teeth, and everyone loses their minds

schemer.PNG

To be fair Pikachu does not actually have rodent teeth. If he did I imagine we'd all be just as freaked out by them as we are with Sonic's human teeth, despite the anatomical correctness.
CE2AL1d.png

Pikachu's teeth are more like that of a small dog but with smaller, more human-like canines.

For what it's worth, I don't think giving Sonic anatomically correct hedgehog teeth would work particularly well either (though it would be a huge, huge improvement).

MAsFAaT.jpg

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My 5 year old happened to be in the room when we watched it and even he can tell it is wrong.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
To be fair Pikachu does not actually have rodent teeth. If he did I imagine we'd all be just as freaked out by them as we are with Sonic's human teeth, despite the anatomical correctness.

CE2AL1d.png

Pikachu's teeth are more like that of a small dog but with smaller, more human-like canines.

For what it's worth, I don't think giving Sonic anatomically correct hedgehog teeth would work particularly well either (though it would be a huge, huge improvement).

MAsFAaT.jpg
Pikachu is more related to a squirrel. I think the idea that Pikachu was a rat or something came from the 90s. A rat was never ever the inspiration. Originally Pikachu was essentially a Daifuku with a tail. But later given more detail, with inspiration drawn from a squirrel.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me of Ghostbusters 2016 all over again where all of the red flags are punching you in the face of the trailer and you just sit there and ask how did this happen. Its funny because my favorite movie of all time is Ghostbusters and Sonic is pretty close to my favorite video game character and wow what did i do to Hollywood to deserve this? The number 1 thing this movie had to do was make sonic cute and likable...i mean its beating a dead horse at this point, but please someone explain how this got past any form of testing? This movie is going to bomb terribly, but a behind the scenes making of would be a huge hit. One thing ill be honest is that i like the Jim Carey Eggman especially the tease at the end. I dont think he has to be fat because it does look like Jim Carey put some effort in to this which makes this hurt even more.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Worse than I thought. Sonic doesn't even look realistic enough.

What an embarrassment. Sega should have never let it happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Worse than I thought. Sonic doesn't even look realistic enough.

What an embarrassment. Sega should have never let it happen.

It's funny, they didn't really make him more realistic. He's still got huge cartoon eyes and fucked up proportions. Just...in a different way. A way that looks way less cute.

I feel like with an adaptation like this you gotta either go one way or another. Commit to an idea. What came out of this oven seems half baked, like they just took sonic and made him some percentage realistic and landed in a horrifying middle ground where your mind can't decide which way it's supposed to lean. He's changed just enough to look like a really lanky furry in an ill fitting suit.

Like either they should have just taken cartoon sonic's design and put realistic material texture on him (detective pikachu style) or they swing the other direction and give him a top to bottom redesign like a more believable fantasy animal.

Being indecisive like this aint doing anyone any favors.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The one thing Hollywood relies on more than fanboy forums and executive committees is advanced screenings. And the screenings for Detective Pikachu are fresh as hell.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I mean, the design of the character wasn't exactly the only problem in that trailer, and it seems a bit late to scramble and try and fix that now.

Surely they must have done some focus testing, exposing people to that...thing...ages ago.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sega of america's been trying to rehabilitate the sonic brand image for the past decade or so, god knows they know how damaged it already is. wouldn't be surprised if they had to make some angry phone calls after the trailer landed. also kinda expect this is a situation where a lot of people already knew this was a problem but paramount or whoever wouldn't budge until public reactions came out and gave those people more power and ammunition to push for changes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, so how much are they willing to change when the film is coming out in six months? Delays?

If they're actually changing it I imagine they've been working on an alternative since the leak, or possibly even earlier. Could explain their hesitation to release the trailer.

I imagine most of the post production work would still work fine for a tweaked model, especially if they're just focusing on his face and some small details on his body. So it may just be a matter of rigging the new one and swapping it in.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
"In the Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer you can see 22 coins instead of stars in the Paramount logo. This is a subtle nod to the fact that this movie will make 22 USD at the box office."
a2Zxe49_700bwp.webp

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It honestly, to me, looks better than I expected. It's not like I had high expectations for it but it looked fine enough.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh good, now the animators are going to be overworked between now and the film's release.

We all realize Sonic looking like they do in the games isn't going to fix everything else wrong with what we've seen of the film, right?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

CE2AL1d.png

MAsFAaT.jpg

Thats terrifying lol. The official ref sheets, at least for the anime show how its meant to look, but the movie he seems to just have a furry muppet mouth (which is still 100x better than human dentures)

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You guys are looking at it wrong. This is how sonic is supposed to look. We just didnt have the technology to recreate it in games before.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I watched the trailer on IGN's YouTube and before clicking on it I thought it was a new game (I always forget IGN does entertainment in general). I actually liked the trailer even though Sonic looks weird (a great kind of weird lol).

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
$90 million for this film rofl, this is going to be an even bigger disaster than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within