• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I see it in almost any Sega thread, wonder what happened to multiple bad faith posts being against the rules.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thats what I was referring to, Thankfully I was just getting to work when it was made so I didn't have to waste my life posting in it.
Ah gotcha. I glanced at the thread and saw many posts saying "Sonic" on the first page, but then I skipped to the latest page and saw hot takes and snide comments, so I think we can guess how the thread is going. Lol.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
Being thirsty for Sonic news is the worst man. I'm tempted to rebuy Unleashed for my One X. Tried playing the PS3 years ago but the frame rate bothered me too much over time. Hopefully it'll be better. Also I must be one of the few people that enjoyed the PS2/Wii version. I was jealous of people that got to experience the HD versions when I was a kid though lol

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Unleashed is pretty rock solid on the One X, last I was aware. The framerate on PS3 was actually largely decent in daytime stages but holy hell did it tank with the night stages. I got up to Dragon Road Night before giving up, downloading a completed save and just using that to replay the daytime stages.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Latest topic makes me want to mention a little tidbit from me playing Sonic 3 as a kid. I never got stuck on the barrel the way other people did. I knew they moved up and down from some of them in act 1 that I was messing around on. I only timed out once that that part because I would do something like take the barrel to the top then hop off and try to run under it and failed at that. Realized the second time I need to hop off at the bottom.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So today. I got to ask a question on Ian Flynn's podcast. The question was " Hey you talked about having to justify why sonic and co don't track down eggman. Shadow seems to be doing that. Is that his thing now. Is he the more proactive fight character and the other's are more relaxed. " Like essentially is he like a wolverine/ralph character the cool strong one but a hot head. Which you know would eliminate the entire point of knuckles but sega doing that knuckles before hasn't stop them from using knuckles. That's what I thought the answer would be , a bit disappointing but I would get it.

What I got, oh baby, what I got was pain.

What I got, is Ian flynn saying shadow essentially has no motivation besides...vague meaningless violence. This particular brand of vague meaningless violence literally deletes his previous motivations because he doesn't care about helping people at all. Maria...whomst? There were people on previous pages talking abut how they were " setting something up " I think its very clear they aren't setting up anything. They are doing what they can to humanize...a nothing.

Ian flynn just admitted he's just staying away from using shadow because he's just not conducive to good story telling. He's hard to justify having around. Thisis the main who took Geoffry and Anti sonic/scourge and made them better.

That says something, it isn't good. Not just about shadow, but to how they are running the whole thing.

Due to his actions not lining up I almost thing this is a weird misinterpretation of the directive and this might get fixed in the next game. But at the same time, they dictate his script so whoever is in charge of that seems to think that's shadow. Its just weird. And pain

Last edited:
OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Latest topic makes me want to mention a little tidbit from me playing Sonic 3 as a kid. I never got stuck on the barrel the way other people did. I knew they moved up and down from some of them in act 1 that I was messing around on. I only timed out once that that part because I would do something like take the barrel to the top then hop off and try to run under it and failed at that. Realized the second time I need to hop off at the bottom.
I died from the barrel, but only because I made it go too high and got crushed by the ceiling. I wanted to see how far it went lol

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
Still hoping this includes 3D games specifically stuff past Adventure 2. Some spin-offs would be nice too. Crazy how the Advance games were Wii-U Japan exclusives.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to the part in my Flynn Archie readthrough where Scourge tries to kill Sonic in his sleep so Sonic's Cool Robot Dad roasts him so hard he runs away crying, and it was indeed a trip.

Edit: I started Sonic Universe which opens on Shadow and I thought that Shadow would learn a valuable lesson about friendship and teamwork but instead of solving the puzzle he just gets Omega to shoot the guy who runs the place.

Edit 2: I think I'm nearing the end of the original continuity and, I dunno, I kinda hate how so many characters are just assholes right now, even the villains.

Eggman makes sense since he's a more serious version of the SatAM character, so he's a despotic warlord with numerous atrocities under his belt as opposed to the funny, sometimes charming goofball villain of the games, and by the time Flynn had started he was already a horrible monster who nuked his own Mobius and hopped over to do it again and the Egg Grapes were already a thing in the plot, so there's no real walking back on this. Lien-Da's cool too in that she's like a slightly more competent Snively who is just constantly selfish and vile all the time and really only cares for her own power.

But then Rouge is willing to doom the Sol Dimension over a shiny rock and Nack murders his gang off-screen and Geoffrey was evil and constantly grimly intoning about his very serious mission and the Battle Bird Armada are all giant racists and the Babylon Rogues are willing to blow up an entire city and not care about the damage and everyone in Mobotropolis is a gullible moron constantly turning on the heroes like Sonic is Spider-Man while the Council of Failed Democracy keeps haranguing the heroes who want to do their job and they never have the slightest sympathetic moment. Mogul was cool but he's basically gone (and soon forever), and Ixis Naugus is doing a lot to feel fun and engaging as a villain, being this sweet talking populist who twists everything to his benefit in a "wow this was remarkably prescient" kinda way and also remembering to be a cool villain (I'm really looking forward to seeing him post-reboot since technically being a SatAM character let him get spared).

It's just kind of exhausting when everyone's really angry and miserable for issue after issue and there hasn't been a damn break in what feels like forever. Sally getting robotocized should be a big deal but it's smack dab in all this other tragedy and I barely feel a thing. Plenty of villains like Iron Queen, Scourge, the Destructix, and Finitevus have been great fun too with roughly the same level of morality but they were bombastic, and I'm just not feeling that right now. It just feels way too dour for a Sonic story.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that's it, that's all the pre-reboot Flynn content.

It ends mid-conversation in an other innocuous issue, after the end of the Universe arc where Mighty tearfully reunites with his long lost sister and Bunnie makes a final cameo setting up her intended future role of getting Legionized to get back into the game. Also Antoine was apparently supposed to actually die?

I don't know how much I've been enjoying the last 20-odd issues before the start of Worlds Collide, but it still feels bad to have this huge universe get wiped like that and all those plot points are just gone, especially since the reboot isn't gonna get a conclusive ending either. I'm guessing the whole thing with Thrash was that the Echidnas were going to be written out until the legal matters were settled and then they just never were, but it's hilarious how hasty that writing was where all the Echidnas just disappear from the plot while all you get are first person panels of Thrash going "I totally got this trust me."

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I just got Unleashed for the Xbox. Can someone remind me which stat makes Werehog less of a slog?
I feel like it was Combat or Unleash, but I've not played it in around a decade.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I just got Unleashed for the Xbox. Can someone remind me which stat makes Werehog less of a slog?
I feel like it was Combat or Unleash, but I've not played it in around a decade.
There's two main useful stats: strength and combat if i remember right. Strength is useful for obvious reasons as your attacks just do more damage and combat (it might be called something) gives you new moves. Some of them are very useful to help with traversal and platforming sections.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There's two main useful stats: strength and combat if i remember right. Strength is useful for obvious reasons as your attacks just do more damage and combat (it might be called something) gives you new moves. Some of them are very useful to help with traversal and platforming sections.
Right, thanks lol. I never really minded the Werehog, once I got the stats to kill stuff as quickly as possible. My issue with it was that it was just a silly concept, and it destroys the pacing lol: I always felt it was a competent enough brawler for what it was.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right, thanks lol. I never really minded the Werehog, once I got the stats to kill stuff as quickly as possible. My issue with it was that it was just a silly concept, and it destroys the pacing lol: I always felt it was a competent enough brawler for what it was.

While I will agree with this, I also thought they could've easily just made Knuckles the star of the brawler portions instead of the Werehog (which is a weird name and should've been Wolfhog)

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the Sonic crossover I've dreamed of

E2eJuZiVkAELaJQ

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god the Sonic Unleashed QTEs are killing me. I'm still not used to the Xbox button prompts, so when I see a blue X I instinctively press the PS X, even though the A button is in that same spot on an Xbox controller, and that's LITERALLY the one button I always remember fml.
It was a pain in the ass on Costume Quest, too.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, the Sonic crossover I've dreamed of

E2eJuZiVkAELaJQ

Maybe Kenshiro can teach Sonic Hokuto no Ken to use on Shadow, haha.

Oh my god the Sonic Unleashed QTEs are killing me. I'm still not used to the Xbox button prompts, so when I see a blue X I instinctively press the PS X, even though the A button is in that same spot on an Xbox controller, and that's LITERALLY the one button I always remember fml.
It was a pain in the ass on Costume Quest, too.

Yea, for all the criticisms of Unleashed, what I actually didn't like were the cheapshots insta-kills and QTEs.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Kenshiro can teach Sonic Hokuto no Ken to use on Shadow, haha.

Yea, for all the criticisms of Unleashed, what I actually didn't like were the cheapshots insta-kills and QTEs.
I killed myself at the end Werehog Mazuri fight by failing the QTEs over and over at that last wave of enemies lmao.
I also completely forgot the Tornado bit was just a QTE. There was a Sonic game with a sort of Afterburner style shmup Tornado segment, right?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I killed myself at the end Werehog Mazuri fight by failing the QTEs over and over at that last wave of enemies lmao.
I also completely forgot the Tornado bit was just a QTE. There was a Sonic game with a sort of Afterburner style shmup Tornado segment, right?

Only one I can think of is Adventure's Panzer Dragoon/rail-shooter Tornado levels.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For the Werehog, I just REFUSED to use any of the QTEs on enemies since I played it on the PS3 and it was almost impossible to time them right. I just spammed the same movies over and over until the end.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Universe's first post-reboot arc introduced a pirate captain Metal Sonic and you know what I'm all in on the reboot now, this is just the best.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The Archie reboot period was a pretty great time. Lots of just plain fun stories and characters that I wish we'd gotten to see more of.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Archie reboot period was a pretty great time. Lots of just plain fun stories and characters that I wish we'd gotten to see more of.

The Black Arms are cool now! Shadow has his own Shadow!

I almost wish the reboot never existed so all this stuff could get ported over to IDW.

Edit: This Sonic the Fighters adaptation is friggin' legendary. The art is so boisterous and charming and the world feels huge and alive. Sonic just fought Segata Sanshiro! Espio got clowned by Bean! Bark and Knuckles are beating the hell out of each other!

I think I might already like the reboot continuity more than IDW. It's gonna kill me that it ended so abruptly.

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
the reboot being so earnest about including all the different facets of the franchise together while treating it with the utmost respect was definitely something i miss with IDW

also it's wild that we got a sonic the fighters arc in the middle of an unleashed arc

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: This Sonic the Fighters adaptation is friggin' legendary. The art is so boisterous and charming and the world feels huge and alive. Sonic just fought Segata Sanshiro! Espio got clowned by Bean! Bark and Knuckles are beating the hell out of each other!
Champions, the story where Sonic the Fighters interrupts Sonic Unleashed to run a tournament arc that introduces an AoStH character with flashbacks to 8-bit Sonic 2 and shoutouts to Sonic Man and it's somehow all dramatically coherent and hilarious. Flynn's ability to weld disparate things together was what made him the perfect writer for the series in the first place, and this story was his triumph. And it kills me that Diana Skelly didn't become one of the series' regular artists because she's incredible.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Champions, the story where Sonic the Fighters interrupts Sonic Unleashed to run a tournament arc that introduces an AoStH character with flashbacks to 8-bit Sonic 2 and shoutouts to Sonic Man and it's somehow all dramatically coherent and hilarious. Flynn's ability to weld disparate things together was what made him the perfect writer for the series in the first place, and this story was his triumph. And it kills me that Diana Skelly didn't become one of the series' regular artists because she's incredible.

Yeah like, I kinda figured going in that the reboot would be a huge mess, and it kind of is in the sense that its entire runtime focuses on the Shattered World story with a break for Mega Man that ends with the unfinished Mega Drive. Shattered World spend like three years hastily establishing the new universe and all the new characters that the previous continuity had two decades to do, except it all works flawlessly and it's such a bummer that we'll never see Flynn get to write the stories in that universe he spent so long establishing.

Eclipse the Darkling should be the dumbest shit ever, but he pretty much instantly rocketed to one of my favourite Archie villains with those two Universe arcs introducing him and how he's like actually a good and decent person who genuinely loved his fellow Arms and especially the Wisps he took in, except the entire history of his race means he can't see anything wrong with trying to devour a planet and it's this hilarious dichotomy where you get sucked into his more noble aspects before he says "poggers time to eat people."

Archie Sonic always had a problem with not really feeling like Sonic the Hedgehog, and the reboot perfectly united all the disparate interpretations of the series into one big universe. I like IDW well enough and it's even more core Sonic (and I imagine a lot of what I view as the flaws of the series like the thin worldbuilding were a deliberate choice to avoid spending so much time building the new universe that Flynn never got the chance to tell stories in it), but this is becoming my ideal take on Sonic. It just remembers to be friggin' fun and all the characters are boisterous and charming and constantly expressing themselves with big emotion and even bigger cartoony expressions when years of Archie Sonic devolved into romance drama and constant mass murder and Eggman being so evil you couldn't even enjoy his presence anymore, and now Eggman has his own evil legion of minions who are cool and run the morality spectrum in their own interesting ways (Clove and Cassia being forced, Nephthys actually believing the battle between Sonic and Eggman is the best she can hope for so she and the Shamar Freedom Fighters scheme together to keep Eggman in power but without complete control, Tundra being a huge asshole and Thunderbolt being a hilarious asshole fangirl) and it's just like, god, every issue is a treat. There's always cool stuff with likable characters on globe trotting adventures, and it's just the best.

Seriously that Knuckes vs. Amy fight gives me life.

Did we ever find out what actually caused the plug to be pulled? Was it just that Archie couldn't pay for it anymore?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Did we ever find out what actually caused the plug to be pulled? Was it just that Archie couldn't pay for it anymore?
i don't know if we've gotten an 'official' line, but the combination of archie scrapping everything in favor of nu-riverdale plus the ongoing fallout of the legal fiasco with penders led to sega taking their ball and finding someone else to play with.

archie had been mishandling the series for a while at that point (just randomly cancelling books to lighten up the archie action label) and it was clear their priorities lay elsewhere, so it was probably a mutually agreed split

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
(and I imagine a lot of what I view as the flaws of the series like the thin worldbuilding were a deliberate choice to avoid spending so much time building the new universe that Flynn never got the chance to tell stories in it)
AFAIK this is exactly correct.

We don't know precisely. I don't think there's ever been a strong indication that they were hurting, financially—their kickstarter around that time failed mostly because nobody really believed they were that strapped for cash—but they did want to focus on their own IP instead of continuing to devote a bunch of manpower to licensed work. Afterlife With Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina got critical acclaim as horror titles, the Archie universe in general was going through a big relaunch, they had the Riverdale TV show coming up, and also a bunch of initiatives for reboots of older stuff like their superhero universe going on. Their plates were full and Sega was probably just as happy to take the brand somewhere that was more interested in licensed work and wouldn't have any possible legal bombshells waiting to drop.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if we've gotten an 'official' line, but the combination of archie scrapping everything in favor of nu-riverdale plus the ongoing fallout of the legal fiasco with penders led to sega taking their ball and finding someone else to play with.

archie had been mishandling the series for a while at that point (just randomly cancelling books to lighten up the archie action label) and it was clear their priorities lay elsewhere, so it was probably a mutually agreed split
AFAIK this is exactly correct.

We don't know precisely. I don't think there's ever been a strong indication that they were hurting, financially—their kickstarter around that time failed mostly because nobody really believed they were that strapped for cash—but they did want to focus on their own IP instead of continuing to devote a bunch of manpower to licensed work. Afterlife With Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina got critical acclaim as horror titles, the Archie universe in general was going through a big relaunch, they had the Riverdale TV show coming up, and also a bunch of initiatives for reboots of older stuff like their superhero universe going on. Their plates were full and Sega was probably just as happy to take the brand somewhere that was more interested in licensed work and wouldn't have any possible legal bombshells waiting to drop.

Makes sense. It probably didn't help that the all new reboot kept the comic's numbering, so casual fans might not even know it was a reboot, and when you get down to it the Penders lawsuit was a huge stain on Archie and Sega's reputation.

I wanna say stuff like "imagine if the reboot happened at IDW in 2013" but then I doubt a wholly separate company would reuse the Freedom Fighters and other SatAM/AoStH material, or at least in the same way. It's just such a shame because this really is the perfect Sonic the Hedgehog comic to me and in a way that Sega is not really interested in making at the moment. IDW Sonic is good and the more serious tone certainly helps hearken to the Adventure era, but the world just isn't as interesting and all the weird lore rules (two worlds, no money, Shadow isn't friends with Rouge and Omega) that are now in place feel too restrictive. It took until the Chao Races arc for me to feel like this universe was an actual place where stuff happened and people lived, but again, I do understand why the worldbuilding was put on the backburner after the reboot turned out the way it did, and it's not like it's bad, it's just a different kind of story.

Old_King_Coal

Nov 1, 2017

Skelly has just the right blend of cartoony slapstick while still feeling appropriate for the dramatic elements as well. Agreed that she was one of the best artists they ever got. Ben Bates was similar for me in getting that balance right but sadly didn't do much after the reboot happened.