• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything is actually going to come of this but even if it does, I'd expect a gamepass partnership before a buyout.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did think it was kind of strange to release a blue and white (Still icONIC) controller color at launch when the Xboxes are black and white. I guess we find out tomorrow. :D

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either I'm eating it or the doubters are... 👁👁
eating-crow.jpg

Sep 9, 2020
I can safely say that a Microsoft purchase of SEGA would lead to their IPs becoming irrelevant in Japan. Take large third party titles exclusive to PS in Japan, aside from a few exceptions all have seen declines and have failed to push hardware. I really doubt Xbox will ever capture a decent chunk of the Japanese market if that is ever their aim.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel an announcement that Microsoft is buying Sega would go down like a lead balloon at such an event.

I assume if they do buy someone it will just pop up randomly like the Bethesda deal.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can safely say that a Microsoft purchase of SEGA would lead to their IPs becoming irrelevant in Japan. Take large third party titles exclusive to PS in Japan, aside from a few exceptions all have seen declines and have failed to push hardware. I really doubt Xbox will ever capture a decent chunk of the Japanese market if that is ever their aim.
Not if they leave Japan as-is and take over everything else.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda feel an announcement that Microsoft is buying Sega would go down like a lead balloon at such an event.

I assume if they do buy someone it will just pop up randomly like the Bethesda deal.

So long as we're spitballing here based on zero tangible evidence, what about if Sega announced they are going to stay public, but 1/3 of the company is getting sold to MS and 1/3 to Nintendo? It would be relatively cheap ($1-2 bil each) for both companies to do, all companies would gain big, Sega would stay Japanese controlled, and it would cement a Nintendo/MS working relationship in stone. If I were Phil Spencer, something like that would be a better outcome than outright acquisition.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized how many studios are part of the Sega Corporation:
- Amplitude Studios
- Atlus
- Creative Assembly
- Hardlight
- Relic Entertainment
- Sports Interactive
- Two Point Studios

Sega Corporation (Source: Wikipedia) includes:

Consumer development division:
- CS1 R&D
- CS2 R&D (this includes Sonic Team)
- Online R&D

Arcade development division:
- Sega AM1
- Sega AM2

Mobile development division:
- Sega Networks
- Ignited Artists
- Also include Hardlight

This is 8 studios (if you count Sega Corporation, which appears to have several game departments still active).
This would give Microsoft 31 studios.

Edit: Added the list of Sega Corporation's gaming divisions.

It's been a long Time :)

Yeah. I never followed his career closely, so I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.