• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IIRC, the engines are unable to start or stop on their own. Their drivers are the ones who operate them.

So why is it that the Fat Controller scolds the engines who literally have no self control and not their human operators?

It doesn't make sense.

To say nothing of the freight carts always getting away with their shit.

Halp

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The closest you're gonna get to a real answer is the original stories were based on real life railway accidents and the engines were anthropomorphized versions of a crew, so you can consider him yelling at the crew symbolically.

There are stories that contradict this and act like the engines have some degree of free will. It's not consistent, especially once they get away from the Awdry stories.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Thomas series is a good look at how the ruling class pits the working class against each other to make them fight over jobs and competition instead of aiming that frustration and discontent at their employer.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
30JmQPF.png

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The closest you're gonna get to a real answer is the original stories were based on real life railway accidents and the engines were anthropomorphized versions of a crew, so you can consider him yelling at the crew symbolically.

There are stories that contradict this and act like the engines have some degree of free will. It's not consistent, especially once they get away from the Awdry stories.

Basically. I used to watch those religiously and they certainly seemed to have a degree of free will despite having engineers.

Hell, the freight cars had wills of their own and would mess with the trains at times.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Basically. I used to watch those religiously and they certainly seemed to have a degree of free will despite having engineers.

Hell, the freight cars had wills of their own and would mess with the trains at times.

It's not made explicit but the impression I got is the engines can refuse to move. There are several stories where the crew can't make the engine start moving. However, they can't stop by themselves, this is made clear by all of the stories about runaways.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize they were supposed to have someone inside controlling them. I thought they were autonomous.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Henry was being so prissy and wouldn't come out so he walked him up. Then let him out the very next episode. Let's not make more out of this than it is.
"We shall take away your rails," he said, "and then leave you here for always and always and always"...

Go watch the video again (US version, apparently). It's pretty creepy.

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

Huh, that's interesting. Puts alot of the stuff I saw as a kid in new light, especially the times they got scolded.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're being done a mercy, honestly.

It actually helps stave off the existential dread brought on by the reality of having a total lack of agency.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
It's not made explicit but the impression I got is the engines can refuse to move. There are several stories where the crew can't make the engine start moving. However, they can't stop by themselves, this is made clear by all of the stories about runaways.
Maybe we can interpret that as the engines breaking down and the engineers are unable to repair them?

Oct 28, 2017
It's an allegory to the problem of determinism and free will. God is the omniscient creator and ultimate cause, yet we are held responsible for our actions put into motion by a supposedly all-knowing benevolent deity.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You've described the vast majority of workforce and management situations across capitalist society. As for why the carts get away with murder, it's because they're the money/custom.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
There's episodes where they decide to go and do things themselves, especially later series.

Frankly the writer of the original series was *evil*. The show gets properly dark.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Henry was being so prissy and wouldn't come out so he walked him up. Then let him out the very next episode. Let's not make more out of this than it is.

Getting "prissy" is not a reason to bury someone alive for the day to teach them a lesson.

You've described the vast majority of workforce and management situations across capitalist society. As for why the carts get away with murder, it's because they're the money/custom.

This may be technically true it's not like other forms of government systems don't have their issues.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There's episodes where they decide to go and do things themselves, especially later series.

Frankly the writer of the original series was *evil*. The show gets properly dark.

I don't think there's any episodes in the first four seasons (where it was mostly based on the books) where the engines can just go off and do whatever they want without a crew. There's quite a few stories where the engines run away by accident and can't stop because nobody is in their cab.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
At the time, it was said they would be left there forever.

Just saying that solitary confinement in the dark is considered torture. Using torture to punish someone for being stubborn is literally inhuman. Not sure why that should be considered fine for a show aimed at the under 5's.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any episodes in the first four seasons (where it was mostly based on the books) where the engines can just go off and do whatever they want without a crew. There's quite a few stories where the engines run away by accident and can't stop because nobody is in their cab.
As a parent of a little one who watches the later shows, they most certainly do go off on their own will later on.

As you said, these are not based on the original work. There was a definite transition between manned units and people who are actually trains.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
At the time, it was said they would be left there forever.

Just saying that solitary confinement in the dark is considered torture. Using torture to punish someone for being stubborn is literally inhuman. Not sure why that should be considered fine for a show aimed at the under 5's.

Even as a kid that was nightmare fuel.

Dec 2, 2017
Better behave engines, or the punishments from the books are even worse than the tv show. One engine gets turned into a water boiler, another gets cannibalised for spare parts.

Dec 31, 2017
"Thomas," starring Michael Keaton, wins Best Picture at the 2027 Academy Awards but is also blamed for a series of massacres committed via running people over with trains around the US

Lol. dead.

This is now a Thomas the Dank Engine thread.

www.youtube.com

Thomas Gon' Give It To Ya

Thomas the Tank Engine theme + DMX - X Gon' Give It To Ya.This was a lot of fun to make.

My god.

Last edited: