• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think a Resident Evil 4 remake will utilize most?

• More Action

• More Horror

• Experimental like RE 3.5

Results are only viewable after voting.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Honestly even just a complete visual upgrade on the RE engine would be enough for me.

No disrespect for RE4HD project but relying solely on that to get better visuals for the game is not what I want for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly even just a complete visual upgrade on the RE engine would be enough for me.

No disrespect for RE4HD project but relying solely on that to get better visuals for the game is not what I want for it.
People who talk like it's enough, meh, the changes feel so inconsequential to me they might as well not exist. Not when what I imagine in my head next gen on the RE Engine would look so incredible. I don't even understand why people are so against the idea.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
People who talk like it's enough, meh, the changes feel so inconsequential to me they might as well not exist. Not when what I imagine in my head next gen on the RE Engine would look so incredible. I don't even understand why people are so against the idea.
I love RE4 but I also recognize that it looks very dated and has some flaws that can only be properly fixed through a comprehensive remake of the game. Like, I get that people love the original control scheme but cmon fam, it's not even the most important part of its incredible gameplay.

I swear there's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on besides nostalgia or rose tinted glasses.

Oct 27, 2017
A Shadow of thr Colossus remake style would be best. Add some environmental story telling here and there and perhaps create a new mini campaign (think No Rest for the Living in Doom 2 XBLA port).

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I just hope they can balance the action and horror perfectly. RE4 managed to mix both perfectly.

Resident Evil 7 failed to do so, I hope they can get it right this time.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
since RE4 is lengthy then make it episodic and expand the content like FF7

can't say no to more village content

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the original made Leon way too strong, which is why it felt like an action game letting you spin-kick and suplex your way through crowds of villagers.

I'd like a remake to still keep the large mob of people trying to lynch you, but keep you actually underpowered enough where evading and hiding from the mob is a necessity.

I'm not sure if that counts as more action or more horror?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Resident evil 4 doesn't need to me remade , it's still holds up well and it's one of the closest to perfect games ever made.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
RE4 was kinda my introduction into Resident Evil and what got me into gaming, so i'm probably a bit overprotective with it in that sense.

There's the overall uncertainty towards the feeling of recapturing what 4 was at its time and how it blended the most absurd, creative and opposite elements into something unique and concise. So i believe the main path is to touch only on what's really necessary in that sense.

Building upon REmake 2's core gameplay systems would make the most sense, since the format is very accessible and surprisingly responsive for the restrictions laid by horror standards. Moving and shooting while balancing the whole combat loop to mimic RE4, yet being completely different, would be its biggest challenge of course. You would need to ensure that movement is a constant risk/reward combination, upgrading the Ganados capabilities, behaviours and general speed, but most importantly, their "trickery-based" movements. Stuff like running at you while the player's perspective is away from them, dodging bullets, erratic animation pattern, throwing stuff at you and being able to coordinate attacks in group. Basically all the stuff you would expect from a modern interpretation of those smart enemies, with a very refined AI that can counter and bait people easily.

Also, i'm kinda aware it may not be representative at all of how this actually works (since this is mostly based on sources of light and how that affects volumetric effects), but just like this new RE2 makes your life easier if you stay put, by giving more critical hits when the aim reticle is completely still and small, the laser sight should be affected by moving while aiming, showing a lesser clear line whenever the player is dancing around.

That combined with not shying away from heavy damage by enemies's attacks, should ensure a closer feeling to the original's balancing act on the go. Crowd control still is the focus, but you gotta know that if you fuck up, that will bite you in the ass hard.

4 is a really good action game that constantly rewards you, but still, that game ain't messing around if you're not thinking right with each enemy encounter.

I'd want the game to lean more into RE7's style of camp, which is unnerving and creepy because it's so goofy amid a whole host of scary circumstances. Jack casually grabbing Lucas' arm and sawing it off with a kitchen knife while Lucas yells "Dammit old man, not again!" is as hilarious as it is unnerving.

Remember, English speakers are the ones who got the campy RE4. I'm not so sure about other regions, but the Japanese version is about as straight-faced as all get out with its dialogue. Instead of the iconic "Where's everyone going, bingo?", Japanese players got a line akin to "Where'd they all go?"

By blending the camp of the English localization at the Japanese release's more straight-faced dialogue, a hypothetical REmake 4 could blend the strengths of RE games new and old into a real knockout action-horror game. In fact, deemphasizing the action and going for more RE2-style combat could be really exciting. Put less focus on linear progression, and make the world open-linear like older RE titles, letting players backtrack to solve puzzles with items they retrieve throughout the game, and making combat more about outwitting and evading enemies rather than clearing one room, a door unlocking, and you moving on to more zombie murder.

That's also something very worth mentioning, Resi 7 is one of the fewer RE titles that were able to successfully mix more silly and scary stuff like Resident Evil 4.

In terms of overall tone and representing what the series means for a lot of individuals, that's the best approach considering 4 for sure. Tho i'm not that worried about it, REmake 2 itself had a good balance despite some small missteps here and there.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
None of those options. Just give me the same game but looking modern.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Yes. We already have it in RE4. Which is perfect, right? No need to repeat it in the tone and style these remakes are trying to achieve. They look silly in this type of game now.
Also, if Leon is capable of doing such moves, why the hell is he needing to shoot without moving? It's inconsistent.
He should control like God Hand at this point.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'd take something weird and experimental. But since that's not happening, I don't really see the point of a remake. It's absolutely perfect as is.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This thread reminds me a lot of FF7 and RE2 remakes when they were announced but we had no info. There was a lot of the same talk of "Better graphics and nothing else" which is sadly not the way these companies see themselves making more money on old games. At least not at a AAA level.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The resident evil 2 and 3 remakes took on significant elements of the action based trilogy that followed them, therefore logically we must conclude that 4-5-6 will take on significant elements of the following style of gameplay and will be first person vr games.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I recently replayed the game 2 months. The game still holds up incredibly well. Just update the graphics and some QOL improvements and the game is golden .

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
giphy.gif

lol perfect

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The truth is if games being perfect as they are was enough to not warrant a remake then we wouldn't have gotten an RE2 Remake.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Taking out the QTEs would be a good start.

Have a dedicated dodge button. Also modernize the controls by being less tanky. Being able to move and shoot.

I think more open areas where you could barricade like in that first area in the village would be cool as well. Imagine the village being bigger with more areas to barricade and roofs to climb up to try and get some distance, mobs that are larger and smarter and seem to cooperate and coordinate in order to kill Leon.

Let em go nuts and reimagine it. Some will be upset but just RE4 with better graphics would be pointless.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same game with modern controls, graphics and cinematics. It's really not that hard with the RE2 and RE3 already paving the way.

Everyone saying leave the crappy controls as is, are delusional.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
If it needs to be remade, I imagine it would be more of reimaging. Part of the charm of RE 4 is that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all. With the many extremely quotable lines, cheesy characters and over the top action sequences, RE 4 falls out of line with the current remakes RE 2 and RE 3.

Can you imagine REmake 2 Leon in Resi 4? I can't. That would mean the story needs to pull a 180 and the tone would change dramaticly. While a more creepy bunch of Ganados, a more serious Salazar and even Sadler sound enticing, I think I pretty much prefer RE 4 in its current state.

(I also can't handle a more terrifying version of It)

So yeah, let RE 4 be Leon's Wacky Adventure in Europe.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Maybe they could use actual spanish voice actors this time, but at the same time I'm fond of the originals as they sound so silly.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom showed how to make a beloved game better with RE2, they'll do the same with 4.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
For 4 I'd be happy with the approach taken with the SotC remake - rebuild with modern graphics and tech, tweak the controls but leave the game and atmosphere the same. RE4 is perfect.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Just seeing the Merchant in RE Engine will print money. If anything his role needs to be expanded in a remake. With a really cool presentation where you go through his trenchcoat and peruse all the weapons he has in there.

If it needs to be remade, I imagine it would be more of reimaging. Part of the charm of RE 4 is that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all. With the many extremely quotable lines, cheesy characters and over the top action sequences, RE 4 falls out of line with the current remakes RE 2 and RE 3.

Can you imagine REmake 2 Leon in Resi 4? I can't. That would mean the story needs to pull a 180 and the tone would change dramaticly. While a more creepy bunch of Ganados, a more serious Salazar and even Sadler sound enticing, I think I pretty much prefer RE 4 in its current state.

(I also can't handle a more terrifying version of It)

So yeah, let RE 4 be Leon's Wacky Adventure in Europe.

Leon calls a giant crocodile an "overgrown son a bitch" in REmake 2. There's some cheese there, and I think the cheese could be bigger and better in REmake 4.

Nothing says it needs to be serious.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
More (survival) horror would be nice. However upgradeable weapons and item management of the original have to stay the same. Also Re4 without the Red9 is unacceptable.

Oct 29, 2017
They'd completely ruin it if they remade it.

It would either get turned into RE6, or it would get turned into RE2:R. Either way, you'd lose what made RE4 so special.

The game is perfect as it is, leave it the fuck alone!

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing about the game design should ever be touched, it's heresy to suggest otherwise. Just update the graphics in a way that stays as close as possible to the original look.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I recently played and finished RE4 for the first time a few weeks ago. My biggest complaint is that in relation to a lot of the other games it is just too long.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I'm all for expanding the horror elements of RE4. I loathe the military base so friggin' much. Remove it altogether. I'm in favor of new las plagas types instead. Make them deadlier, and sure, make the last part a bit more action-y if need be (I mean, we're replacing the military base...) but expand on the horror for RE4 and we'll have:

giphy.gif

It's like Mikami doesn't know how to end a game. He just goes balls out on the action.

The game was a masterpiece. It influenced and inspired so many incredible games that came after it (Gears, Dead Space, TLOU etc.) and damn it, it's still amazing.

Iron out some stuff at the end, and man, we'll have the perfect game.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Like.. the great thing about RE4 is that it actually feels like an adventure game. It doesn't need to have more more action of horror, I think it strikes a perfect balance with tense and exciting moments and room to breathe between them. This is a game that I want a 1:1 remake of if it's necessary to remake.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd completely ruin it if they remade it.

It would either get turned into RE6, or it would get turned into RE2:R. Either way, you'd lose what made RE4 so special.

The game is perfect as it is, leave it the fuck alone!
You'll always have your classic RE, you'll be alright.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing i can think of is expanding its world a bit - more areas to explore, and maybe smoothing some of the rough island edges. graphics could be a thing

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
As somebody who isn't really attached to 4, I would love an fixed camera, ReMake like backgrounds, remake. I know the gameplay would turn a lot of people off, but it could be a visual powerhouse with those limits.