• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will come out first?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2

Votes: 633 69.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 274 30.2%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts IV, I don't expect for a while. But what about these two games? That's tricky to say.....

I imagine we'll see FFXVI first.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI wont see the light of the day until somewhere around 2025.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 is already being worked on.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how the hell SE is going to even be able to do both at the same time.

FFVII alone seems like it would take all the same resources of a mainline FF title and more.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't know how the hell SE is going to even be able to do both at the same time.

FFVII alone seems like it would take all the same resources of a mainline FF title and more.

SE can handle multiple big projects. The current assumption is XVI is getting developed under Yoshidas division, FF7 is under a different team.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Part 2. I don't think the trilogy is going to take as long to finish as most people think. they finished the xiii trilogy in four years and xv was 3 years later. i think we see the end of vii before we see xvi

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2. I don't see another final fantasy till the remake is fully done imo.
They build up a whole new team to develop the FFVII Remake. They'll possibly shift some workforce around as different projects go through different phases and some of those might work on the remake and XVI at different times, but the remake is not going to prevent the development of FFXVI altogether.

FFXVI wont see the light of the day until somewhere around 2025.
If FFXVI is the game that YoshiP & co have been preparing for some years now and which officially entered full development in Spring last year, it will be released far before 2025.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess at least they've officially confirmed VII Part 2 is already in development.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
VII-2, I'm guessing it won't end at an iconic scene and they create a new final boss in the return to present day Nibelheim. Then it's 2 of the main continents.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2. I don't think the trilogy is going to take as long to finish as most people think. they finished the xiii trilogy in four years and xv was 3 years later. i think we see the end of vii before we see xvi
The Xiii sequels were rushed and low budget compared to the original. I don't think Square will do the same with FF7.

Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI.

Expecting it pretty early next gen, with a short announcement-release window.

Idk why I expect this except blind hope SE have learned some lessons.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Remake part 2 took 3 years and still released first.
I honestly wonder how many parts Remake will have and how long it will take to release from start to finish.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Part 2 I think.

It's like Capcom with Resident Evil 3. They made it so quick cause they've learn how to do it well with RE2.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Easily Remake VII Part 2. it is not even close. I would be surprised if Part 2 takes longer than 2021. FF16 probably 2023 - 2025

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
16 will be out before Part 2. Unless 7R is on an annual schedule which I doubt. They're already making 16
Yeah. Part 1 has taken about 6 years (and that's accounting for some troubles with the development that led them to move development in-house) and Part 2 should have a shitton of new things despite sharing a lot with 1. So, unless there are problems again, it'll probably take something between 2 to 3 years.

If they have a competent schedule around Yoshida's team's new game, it's under UE4 (and if the game is XVI as it seems), it could release around 2022, as they entered full production last year.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think XVI is closer along than we think and Square Enix has learned its lesson not to announce such projects years in advance. Like, I could legit see a 2020 announcement and 2021 release, but I'm an optimist.

FFVII Part 2 will be more expedient too I imagine but considering they can't reuse THAT many assets (Midgar is visually unlike every other area in the original game) it will probably be 2022 at the soonest.

Square Enix also seems hesitant to cross-promote their big games if they aren't MMOs. We didn't really start seeing FFVII again until after KH3 was out. That's why I figure we could see XVI this E3.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 I think.

It's like Capcom with Resident Evil 3. They made it so quick cause they've learn how to do it well with RE2.
I think part 2 is going to the main 2 continents, with some rather large towns like Junon, Costa Del Sol, and Gold Saucer. It sound like it will be one of the hardest parts. I guess Wutai will be in part 3 and they can design boat travel then.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think XVI is closer along than we think and Square Enix has learned its lesson not to announce such projects years in advance. Like, I could legit see a 2020 announcement and 2021 release, but I'm an optimist.

FFVII Part 2 will be more expedient too I imagine but considering they can't reuse THAT many assets (Midgar is visually unlike every other area in the original game) it will probably be 2022 at the soonest.

Square Enix also seems hesitant to cross-promote their big games if they aren't MMOs. We didn't really start seeing FFVII again until after KH3 was out. That's why I figure we could see XVI this E3.

This is my thinking as well.

It also makes a lot of sense, why rush 7 when you can just release the next numbered entry in the waiting time.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
16. I think Squenix are getting into the stride of big HD game development so will likely have 7 as an in-between new mainline titles release. It's not like 7 part 2 isn't going to be a full scale game release, they won't rush it out before 16 which has most likely been in development a fair while.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Ive been thinking we might see XVI this e3 as well. It's been such a long time since we have seen a concept for a new FF.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
VII might not be a trilogy, if it's a trilogy, most of it would go in the 2nd part and part 3 would feel like a good DLC where you revisit loads of areas and maybe get a few new islands and dungeons.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think FF7R Part 2 will be out first.

Maybe they should focus on finishing 7R before announcing the next mainline game. It gives them more time to make sure XVI is as good as possible and looking at how 7R is coming along, it will need to be really good to follow 7R.

Oct 31, 2017
Why do people think SE is scared of marketing more than one big project at a time

Do you guys not remember IX/X/XI being announced at the same time

Do you guys not remember XIII being announced before XII's release (worldwide)

Do you guys not remember Fabula Nova Crystallis

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I am hopeful Part 2 will re-use (some of) Part 1's assets so dev time will dramatically shorten, allowing it to release within a 1-2y timeframe. But knowing SE's history, who knows.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Part 2.... this shouldn't even be a question. Plus.... I still see X-3 happening before FF XVI.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think SE is scared of marketing more than one big project at a time

Do you guys not remember IX/X/XI being announced at the same time

Do you guys not remember XIII being announced before XII's release (worldwide)

Do you guys not remember Fabula Nova Crystallis

It's been over 10 years since some of those.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII Part 2 -> KH4 -> FFXVI
You've got it all wrong. I think the likeliest scenario is:
FFXVI (YoshiP's division might've been working on this for, like, ~3years already) -> FFVII Part 2 (as much as I'd want it ASAP, I wouldn't be surprised if Part 2 took ~3 years) -> KHIV (a 5 year development cycle wouldn't surprise me for a game of this calibre, so 2024, here we come!)

Kingdom Hearts IV is the hardest to develop simply because of Disney's involvement that forces them to spend ungodly hours tweaking Disney stuff until they accept it, but it has also got its structure working against it (9+ big, detailed worlds with very little in the form of assets they can reuse between any of them = takes hell of a long time to create)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
XVI isn't coming out until after Part 3. I'm guessing it'll be a ten year gap between XV and XVI.