• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember in the early 2000s, 4Kids was like THE anime dubber... and many people hated them due to how much they edited and censored things... but what was it that made people go "Yeah, 4Kids is going bankrupt." Nowadays, all that's left of them was absorbed by Konami to dub Yu-Gi-Oh. (actually, didn't they try to sue them?) Was it the One Piece dub doing so badly that hurt their reputation? (Interesting story, they didn't even WANT One Piece)

So yeah, what's the story? I want to know what really happened.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're not dead, they're just in the next dimension, or the shadow realm...whichever you want to call it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In my head it will always be this. As much as people praise One Piece I still associate it with that goddamn song

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
They blew every chance they had except for Yu gi Oh and nowadays that's all they do

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
All is not lost. Chaotic is coming back. The phoenix will rise again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really, the lawsuit for Yugioh killed them. but continuing they way they did given the state of the anime market, they would have died unless they changed anyway

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They're not dead, they're just in the next dimension, or the shadow realm...whichever you want to call it.

jtyFg4n.gif

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What's the appetite for censored anime, how many tv slots are there that could be filled by them, and how much competition do they have now as far as companies wanting to license content from Japan?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know...I'd like to see how they would handle some modern anime.

Like...4KIDS Attack on Titan.

Or, 4Kids JoJo.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's amazing is that 4Kids delivered arguably the best TMNT adaptation ever. Go figure

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
The Saturday morning cartoon block just.....died. Also Cartoon Network's pivot from anime at the time didn't help either.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
On the subject, did anyone every continue the uncut Duel Monsters that I think Funi did with 4kids back in the day?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They aren't dead, the studio who did the dub for all the 4Kids adaptions got bought out by Konami and are the ones dubbing the yugioh anime all these years.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They lost Pokemon when the Pokemon company decided to dub in house to save money. That was a huge blow for them. Then WB/ EW ( which had a ton of 4kids shows) decided to end their daily afternoon TV block because they didn't want kids watching TV when they came home from school ( The stupidest thing I have ever heard). Then they simply lost dubbing rights to other competitors.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they lost Pokemon

Yugioh: Duel Monsters, TMNT and Chaotic ended then that was all she wrote

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't dead, the studio who did the dub for all the 4Kids adaptions got bought out by Konami and are the ones dubbing the yugioh anime all these years.

They lost Pokemon when the Pokemon company decided to dub in house to save money. That was a huge blow for them. Then WB/ EW ( which had a ton of 4kids shows) decided to end their daily afternoon TV block because they didn't want kids watching TV when they came home from school ( The stupidest thing I have ever heard). Then they simply lost dubbing rights to other competitors.

I remember when the new voice actors came out. Good lord, it was horrible.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I heard rumors that they got sued by Konami over their release of YuGiOh episodes on... Gameboy Advance Video of all things?? Anyone know anything about this?

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
That Yu-gi-oh! lawsuit years back. I thought maybe it'd free that series from them like One Piece, but instead their corpse is left alive in the hands of Konami to continue dubbing that series until the sun dies.

Edit: Actually I guess they won that lawsuit, but they were still bleeding money anyway and the dubbing portion of the company was purchased by Konami.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
yeah, 4kids built their market around syndication and long term agreements which both fizzled out due to the big shows being big enough for their own dubs, and OTA rule changes/ad laws along with the expansion of paid TV made kid blocks unprofitable.

Aug 19, 2019
London
Their main original production was the 2003 Ninja Turtles show, and it was really good. So good, I'm fairly certain Nickelodeon bought the show off them and pretends like they made it.