• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like we should stop reading into this Twitter account so much.
No.
www.resetera.com

Ape Escape 20th Anniversary Twitter hinting at 2020 Ape Escape News

Below tweets seem to indicate big Ape Escape news in 2020. You can click on translate in the tweet itself to see a poorly translated version of the tweets.
www.resetera.com

Japanese Ape Escape 20th Anniversary Twitter is very active and its driving me crazy

New 20th Anniversary Theme Showing up at events A Siren crossover Yosp with a monkey PlayStation, Why must you tease me? ... ... Why must you parade around these delightful nostalgia monkeys? ... ... Is it just the 20th anniversary PlayStation? ... ... Is it more? TELL ME YOUR MONKEY...
www.resetera.com

PLAYSTATION FRANCHISE IN SMASH?! [Click here for more details, also be sure to like and subscribe]

Oh look DK has a banana gun, haha this must be a neat thing from the DK series! LIES! The banana gun is from MGS3. Now....why does Snake have a banana gun? I'll tell you why. APE ESCAPE APE ESCAPE IS IN SMASH. If you like that and more be sure to like and subscribe for all the hottest...

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Not to mention having a surprisingly meaty bonus game in the form of Mesal Gear Solid, which is ridiculously faithful for all the right reasons!

Believe it or not, Mesal Gear is the reason I tried the Metal Gear franchise and ended up playing through the whole thing, lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
Wut? Ape Escape 3 is easily the best one. Best level design and the transformations add a lot to the gameplay. Transformations in AE3 are better than the capture mechanic in Mario Odyssey imo.
Ya goddamn right
D7Btv9DWwAAxJ7C.jpg

dc009555eb9d6cd1dcdc7c60c5fc2a2f-480-80.jpg

ApeEscape3-A.jpg

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is so fucking bad at maintaining their legacy franchises. The world needs a new Ape Escape.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Someone please buy Ape Escape from Sony.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always kinda felt that Ape Escape 3 was another series where the apes were a cameo.
But the main objective is still catching the monkeys! It's still all about the monkeys. The TV/Film aesthetic just added a lot of variety to the locales/themeing. Plus you could go into the dressing/break rooms with all the monkeys chilling out, that was great.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony indeed cancelled the next Ape Escape then fuck them for that. So sick of their lack of Japanese games focus/efforts.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's very clear as to whether the account is "shutting down." Here are the translated tweets.

4YCK4up.jpg

Also I haven't really followed the account much, but I don't think they ever actually teased that a new game was in development. They teased news / information, but IIRC they technically delivered with various merch, a Toro mobile game cameo, etc.

OP
OP
sn00zer

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I don't think it's very clear as to whether the account is "shutting down." Here are the translated tweets.

Also I haven't really followed the account much, but I don't think they ever actually teased that a new game was in development. They teased news / information, but IIRC they technically delivered with various merch, a Toro mobile game cameo, etc.
I dont think the account is shutting down, I think something clearly didnt work out

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is that what the tweet was about?

Dang Sony, why?

Hopefully it is some elaborate ruse to bring out another account announcing a game because the Ape Escaped and so needs to get caught again but if not that was the most bizarre and tragic twitter promotion story I've ever seen for a game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
as much as i like ape escape, i don't understand people's love for it as a franchise. Only the original is consider good, all its sequel fails to live up to its premise. And the original game was created to showcase the original dualshock controller, nothing more. It's fun for what is it, using the right stick to swing the net to catch those apes but it simply doesn't have the gameplay longevity to make it a franchise. It's the charm of the original that people remembers, not really the gameplay (at least anecdotally).
It's the best platformer Sony ever made and arguably is better than some of Nintendo's/Rare's 3D platformers thanks to its great level design and catching mechanics making each world fun and varied

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
WHAT.A.FUCKING.JOKE. 😄😄😄😂😂😂

You telling me those 20th anniversary tweets are actually nothing???

I'M SHOCKED.

*PRETENDS TO BE SHOCKED*

Well, not that shocked.

Lol.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sigh.

Why would they tease a cancellation on their own official PR account?

The account is a 20th anniversary celebration. Anniversary celebrations last for ONE YEAR, give or take.

The accounts starts with Piposaru peeking from a tree, and closes the story with him leaping back to the forest. In the words of Lucas, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

If I were to put on my 'tales from my ass-umption' hat on, AE4 was supposed to be announced by this point in the marketing cycle back when they first started the account, but COVID-19 pushed back all the reveals planned, and this anniversary ended before they could officially unveil it.

And no, Sony wouldn't abruptly announce an AE4 just to match a low-profile Japan-focused celebration of an anniversary if there was a bigger stage for it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh.

The account is a 20th anniversary celebration. Anniversary celebrations last for ONE YEAR, give or take.

The accounts starts with Piposaru peeking from a tree, and closes the story with him leaping back to the forest. In the words of Lucas, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

If I were to put on my 'tales from my ass-umption' hat on, AE4 was supposed to be announced by this point in the marketing cycle back when they first started the account, but COVID-19 pushed back all the reveals planned, and this anniversary ended before they could officially unveil it.

And no, Sony wouldn't abruptly announce an AE4 just to match a low-profile Japan-focused celebration of an anniversary if there was a bigger stage for it.
I thought so to but not including the AE4 bit rather instead it was just an anniversary year long celebration which they likely wanted to do more for like more merchandise or other things. Not really a new game.

I said it in the other PS thread but

1) you wouldn't announce a canned game or rather hint at it exactly one year after tweeting. Stuff really doesn't align like that for something so sporadic like a cancelled project.

2) They wouldn't make a new image a year later following the same theme of the Ape inside the forest for said unexpected news. I rather expect that said last images used was likely made around the same time they made the first Ape in a forest image and the held on to it for a year just for the full year final tweet.

"Until Next Time" likely means until another milestone is reached and they can do some celebration again following suit and doing more then what was limited to them celebration wise due to Covid. Like selling other things or maybe streaming old games, etc...

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh.

Yeah this seems more likely to me too, if there is a game in development they might have wanted to announce this year to coincide with the 20th anniversary. Since Covid happened everything gets pushed back, and they weren't able to announce this year.

Who knows if there is a game in development, but if there is I wouldn't take this as a cancellation.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! You take that back.

We're allowed to keep:
Marvel movies
Smash bros

I'll allow DC to do their thing, sure.

Other than that.... NO MORE!
Nope, already called my uncle at Nintendo, the sequel is cancelled. Shame because apparently it has the same roster as Ultimate but with Goku, Twintelle, Masterchief and Knack, the latter is surely a big blow to everyone out there. The blood of losing Knack for Smash bros, is in your hands.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
These tweets seems a bit too high effort to be talking about a cancellation

Oct 31, 2017
Who knows. But I will say, if they were building a new Ape Escape and then cancelled it, I'll be very disappointed. I'll be especially disappointed if a new Ape Escape died so the Astrobot property could live. :^(

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
as much as i like ape escape, i don't understand people's love for it as a franchise. Only the original is consider good, all its sequel fails to live up to its premise. And the original game was created to showcase the original dualshock controller, nothing more. It's fun for what is it, using the right stick to swing the net to catch those apes but it simply doesn't have the gameplay longevity to make it a franchise. It's the charm of the original that people remembers, not really the gameplay (at least anecdotally).
I had a really fun time playing 2 for the first time when it hit PS4 and 3 is supposedly even better. I'd be 110% in.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They have such a good IP on their hand. I don't understand why Sony isn't heavily investing on Japan Studios

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Jimbo had to chose between Bloodborne 2 and Ape Escape.
He chose wisely :^]

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's certainly a reach, no PR would announced their 'unannounced' game's cancellation.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm really gutted that the Twitter account is closing tbh. I got it in my head that all that social media activity was heavily hinting at a new game in the works, but... I guess there never was one in the first place.

A real shame. The timing felt right for the proper return of Ape Escape.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people discovering japanese gaming twitter accounts teasing everyone for jack shit is always funny

im so used to this

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I just found my copies of ape escape 1-3 and the psp version of 1. The psp version is bad right? I kind of want to replay the whole series but don't want to play 1 twice.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I just found my copies of ape escape 1-3 and the psp version of 1. The psp version is bad right? I kind of want to replay the whole series but don't want to play 1 twice.
Yes and no. It's obviously missing some of it's charm and gameplay design from losing the second analogue stick so I'd def recommend PS1 version over it. That said they did the best they could and the upgraded models look quite nice for a handheld game.

So play the PS1 version but the PSP version is a pretty neat thing that sadly got hold back by the control scheme.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. It's obviously missing some of it's charm and gameplay design from losing the second analogue stick so I'd def recommend PS1 version over it. That said they did the best they could and the upgraded models look quite nice for a handheld game.
The visual upgrade was why I was thinking of starting there, but I remember not getting far into it when it came out because of the controls.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, provided I'm remembering correctly...

There was supposed to be some events happening centering around the anniversary, but due to the COVID-19 situation, I believe they were postponed/cancelled. Unfortunately, with the way the Twitter account is reading... Sigh.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Didn't know it was possible to be so wrong.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SIE's awful in general with it comes to legacy content and IP.
It really sucks.

I can appreciate that they foster new IP. That's a good thing, but one of the big reasons why their Smash brothers clone did so poorly, among other things, is that Sony has refused to foster a broad range of long term IP outside of some tentpoles--God War, GT, and Ratchet.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I've replayed all 3 original games waiting for a true sequel and not a gimmick spin-off (the hell that Space Channel 5 can't escape from) and I really really hope this IP can go back to its glory someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.