• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
While I know people miss start and select, and it was a talking point when revealed, it seems like Sony's idea to dedicate an entire button on the Dual Shock 4 to sharing your gameplay online is becoming an industry standard, at least for consoles?

The Switch Pro controller/Joy Cons a capture button, so maybe that doesn't 100% count tho it does allow you to share those clips later.

now the Xbox Series X next gen controller has an entire button dedicated to sharing, with a clear upload sign on it.

3614971-xbox-new-controller.jpg

Did anyone think Share button would be on all major controllers back in 2013?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You know what else I'd love to see become a standard feature on controllers?

Paddles or at least extra shoulder buttons. Undergrip buttons like the Steam controller would be aces too as an alternative.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was cool then when it was first announced, super happy it seems to be the standard now.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I always wonder how many people actually use it. I pretty much never touch it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Good.

Being able to take screenshots and videos was a major point for me to get majority of my games on PS4.

PS4 is the first and only console I've gotten over these last several years/gens that I managed to buy more than 100 games mainly because I wanted to take screenies and videos lol.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's absolutely a neccessary feature going forward. The ability to quickly post a screenshot go Twitter seemed like a novelty at the time of the PS4 reveal, but whenever I find myself playing on Xbox I miss it. (Especially since Microsoft's version is an absolutely unusable mess)

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It sounded like a damn good idea back when it was first pitched so I'm not surprised to see it just grow in popularity.

Dealing with clips on the XB1 is currently a pretty big pain in the ass since you have to bring up the dash menu to really do anything. And I never even bother taking screencaps compared to how many I do on PS4 and Switch since it's just a button tap there.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that uses no social media and generally doesn't take too many photos, I loved the PS4's share button for the screenshot and record feature. One of the smartest inclusions imo.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a dope feature when Sony talked about it in 2013. I use it all the time. Good to see it becoming a standard going forward.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'd much rather have them make grip/paddles standard. A screenshot/share button is cool, but it's something that could be solved in software.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I love it. Taken a lot of footage over the years. Stuff just happens in games where you go, "I gotta save this for later." I hope photomode is standard for games that suit it as well. Better yet, they can enhance it and let you move the camera around afterwards for online focused games with no pauses.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use it all the time on both PS4 and Switch.

I can't imagine a controller without that.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly my favourite new feature of this gen controller-wise is the headphone jack. Shit is ridiculously useful.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Good. It's one of the smartest things Sony did with the PS4 and the fact that it took MS an entire generation to get it on their controller was sad because trying to get screenshots and videos sucked every time.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The lack of a share button is actually one of the biggest flaws of the X1 for me. Super cool the XSX will have one. Hope it will be snappy like on the Switch

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I don't know if I'd call it completely Sony's idea. OnLive had the capture button on their standard controller back in 2010. Press the button, instantly record your previous 30 10 seconds of gameplay then share it with your friends and/or upload it directly to Facebook. Also went into the clip collection for each game that anyone could watch and "thumbs up" on. OnLive called them "Brag Clips". I'm glad to see it's become pretty much standard for all the major players though. I thought it was extremely innovative at the time.

onliv3.jpg

EDIT: Actually I think it was just the previous 10 seconds and not 30 seconds.

Last edited:

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I've shared a lot of stuff from my Xbox One without a dedicated button, but streamlining that process is cool and welcome. I'm more interested in that D-Pad...

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great. It shows that they understand the impact the online community for a game can have in causing more people to buy it. Think of how many times you've gotten a game because you saw a friend posting stuff from it.

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know if I'd call it completely Sony's idea. OnLive had the capture button on their standard controller back in 2010. Press the button, instantly record your previous 30 seconds of gameplay then share it with your friends and/or upload it directly to Facebook. Also went into the clip collection for each game that anyone could watch and "thumbs up" on. OnLive called them "Brag Clips". I'm glad to see it's become pretty much standard for all the major players though. I thought it was extremely innovative at the time.

onliv3.jpg
Honestly forgot about this you right

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: driveby, inappropriate point of comparison
Fuck social media and fuck share buttons. This shit is a cancer upon gaming.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I wish the speaker was on both, even though its such a novelty and rarely used I love it on the DualShock, glad rumble triggers will be coming to playstation, now both systems have it. The only time I use the share button is when I click it accidentally.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly the ability to take screenshots and record video natively to console and then decide what to do with it with the touch of a permanent on controller button was one of the most exciting and interesting sounding advancements at the start of the gen, though if I am being completely honest I thought it would be a interesting one and done generation novelty.

However after a generation of having and using it I feel it needs to be standard going forward on consoles and am glad it seems the companies agree.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
You know what else I'd love to see become a standard feature on controllers?

Paddles or at least extra shoulder buttons. Undergrip buttons like the Steam controller would be aces too as an alternative.

share button was the first step, paddles are the next towards controller perfection.

Wow, the absolute worst take.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Now if only they would rebrand the other two buttons as Function 1 & Function 2 so the industry catches on so everyone has F1, F2, Share, and Home/Guide.

Sidebar: I'm not digging that dpad tho.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yes thank god, it was my most requested feature for the Xbox controller, and I'm glad they're doing it.
The current method of taking screenshots on Xbox is painful and can lead you to just miss your shot.
I hope this is a joke. I fail to see how me taking screenshots of shit impacts you in any way.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i never cared about the share button until my brother and i started sharing screenshots from yakuza back and forth and it's been constant entertainment

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd call it completely Sony's idea. OnLive had the capture button on their standard controller back in 2010. Press the button, instantly record your previous 30 seconds of gameplay then share it with your friends and/or upload it directly to Facebook. Also went into the clip collection for each game that anyone could watch and "thumbs up" on. OnLive called them "Brag Clips". I'm glad to see it's become pretty much standard for all the major players though. I thought it was extremely innovative at the time.

onliv3.jpg
Holy Smokes! Good Memory!

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I never share anything on social media, but I do take screenshots often.

Then every once in a while I look through them and delete a bunch when I realize how much space they're taking up. But then I wanna take more screenshots again. I just like to look through them sometimes to reminisce about certain parts of games.