• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That guy Cinematic Venom who posted the Downfall of Channel Awesome, unfortunately he exposed his true colors when he denounced the movement

Oct 25, 2017
It helps that James can do other stuff just as well as the Nerd. I could(and have) listen to him talk about movies for hours.

In comparison it seems any time Doug tries something besides the Nostalgia Critic it falls on it's face.

I think part of that is because the AVGN is, and has always been, a character James Rolfe writes and plays.

There really is no difference between Nostalgia Critic the "character" and Doug Walker the guy writing him. I think him, and by extension ninety-nine percent of the imitators that the AVGN inspired, were just mad nerds who didn't get the joke and really thought they were smart, insightful critics and funny comedians.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think part of that is because the AVGN is, and has always been, a character James Rolfe writes and plays.

There really is no difference between Nostalgia Critic the "character" and Doug Walker the guy writing him. I think him, and by extension ninety-nine percent of the imitators that the AVGN inspired, were just mad nerds who didn't get the joke and really thought they were smart, insightful critics and funny comedians.

Yeah or to put it bluntly....

They weren't playing characters

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I can't watch another NC video, after all of the terrible things that happened to the Channel Awesome people. My partner and I used to be HUGE fans, we even have some signed movies! But Doug can fuck right off.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch another NC video, after all of the terrible things that happened to the Channel Awesome people. My partner and I used to be HUGE fans, we even have some signed movies! But Doug can fuck right off.

I admit, I got morbidly curious and watched his X-Men review....

I was bored throughout.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of sad. Never seen a Nostalgia Critic video before, but they describe it like this video is his magnum opus and it just ended up being the worst thing ever.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IIRC, there's a slight difference.

Like, I remember that Doug was a big fan of the character "Belle" from Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast. And let's say (for the sake of example) that he doesn't particularly like Ariel (from The Little Mermaid). If Doug is writing a "top ten Disney Princesses" list for the Nostalgia Critic, then there's no way in hell that he's ever going to let his beloved Belle take anything less than the top spot. But perhaps he will bump Ariel up a couple of places in his ranking, and pretend to like her, because he knows that his fanbase likes her, and he needs his fanbase to think that the Nostalgia Critic always has the best taste and is always right about everything. If he later does an "honest thoughts" video, then yeah, he will admit that he doesn't like Ariel, and that he just boosted her to win popularity points with his fandom (purely an example, I have no idea what he thinks of Ariel, I just remember that he likes Belle).

So his "character" is almost exactly like him, but a bit more of a dishonest sellout. (Which means that his character is 100% the real him, LOL.)

Also, if Doug's watching something with the intent to review it, and he comes up with some jokes, then those are automatically NC's jokes. But then, if Rob Walker (or anyone else) is watching it with him, and they come up with a joke that he likes, Doug will steal that joke for NC, and pretend that NC came up with that joke on the fly. But only if Doug personally liked the joke. Because Doug wants NC to be a funnier and more quick-witted version of himself.

But yeah, for all intents and purposes, Doug and NC are the same person. Doug says shit that he genuinely believes while wearing his NC hat, and when people call him on it, he runs away and hides behind "That was just a character! Didn't you see? Look, I'm wearing this hat, and a red tie with no shirt. When I do that, you can't take anything I say seriously."

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, there's a slight difference.

Like, I remember that Doug was a big fan of the character "Belle" from Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast. And let's say (for the sake of example) that he doesn't particularly like Ariel (from The Little Mermaid). If Doug is writing a "top ten Disney Princesses" list for the Nostalgia Critic, then there's no way in hell that he's ever going to let his beloved Belle take anything less than the top spot. But perhaps he will bump Ariel up a couple of places in his ranking, and pretend to like her, because he knows that his fanbase likes her, and he needs his fanbase to think that the Nostalgia Critic always has the best taste and is always right about everything. If he later does an "honest thoughts" video, then yeah, he will admit that he doesn't like Ariel, and that he just boosted her to win popularity points with his fandom (purely an example, I have no idea what he thinks of Ariel, I just remember that he likes Belle).

So his "character" is almost exactly like him, but a bit more of a dishonest sellout. (Which means that his character is 100% the real him, LOL.)

Also, if Doug's watching something with the intent to review it, and he comes up with some jokes, then those are automatically NC's jokes. But then, if Rob Walker (or anyone else) is watching it with him, and they come up with a joke that he likes, Doug will steal that joke for NC, and pretend that NC came up with that joke on the fly. But only if Doug personally liked the joke. Because Doug wants NC to be a funnier and more quick-witted version of himself.

But yeah, for all intents and purposes, Doug and NC are the same person. Doug says shit that he genuinely believes while wearing his NC hat, and when people call him on it, he runs away and hides behind "That was just a character! Didn't you see? Look, I'm wearing this hat, and a red tie with no shirt. When I do that, you can't take anything I say seriously."

So that bit with him and Phelous from Kickassia wasn't an exaggeration?

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
There's so little context here I gave up trying to figure out what anything was after five minutes reading :(

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
What if we all just used this as an excuse to talk about The Wall?

Like the fact that the majority of the tracks were either remastered or outright re-recorded for the movie. It includes the only studio recording of What Shall We Do Now?, and it's never been released. It's a phantom version of The Wall no one can enjoy free of the film's sound effects.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah his Wall review was awful, all of his live action/demo reel style videos are exceptionally awful.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

My favorite was when he sort of cancelled his "character," without telling anyone else he was. You know, the main draw to the site that helps other creators also get noticed. And he did that to bring Demo Reel to life. Which was, just, yeah...

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
short history: james rolfe/angry video game nerd starts an early trend on youtube with content creators critiquing media of their childhood. doug walker, the nostalgia critic, does what james rolfe does, but for movies and television of the 1980s and 1990s. in the late 00s, other content creators start making names for themselves and doug walker makes a really awful business decision with a guy named mike michaud that starts a website called channel awesome, which ideally, was meant to be an aggregate of several content creators and give them support in a tough environment (and doug walker also gives michaud the rights to the nostalgia critic character).

this website does find a lot of people who would later form their own channels again on youtube including lindsay ellis, dan olsen, angry joe, linkara, todd in the shadows, and more. however through mismanagement, harassment, abuse, and a general disdain for anyone not doug walker, mike michaud, or doug walker's brother, all of these people left the channel around 4-5 years ago, with all the remaining people who may have been too new or unaware of the abuses at the top bowing out last year once a lot of this information went public.

the wall is an album from pink floyd released in 1979 and has sold over 24 million copies. a movie was made in 1982 and has a sort of cult following. personally i don't know a lot about it either other than its reputation so i can't speak much more to it other than having heard some of its singles on the radio like another brick in the wall part 2 and comfortably numb.

doug walker's style was common among other content creators at the time who were mostly emulating what james rolfe did. and being early, he was able to gain a following by pitting himself directly against james rolfe in a faux rivalry. it's through this that he gained a pretty big following. but while the equipment he uses improved, doug never learned filmmaking techniques or grew as a creator. from what i can tell about this specific review about the wall, it's pretty self-indulgent and clueless in a pretty regular doug walker way, with some truly bizarre choices like the weird cg creatures and making a parody album that he put on spotify. it doesn't seem bad in a new way. it's the same old stuff but more weirdly extravagant, like a tim and eric sketch played 100% straight.
Thank you for picking up the slack for this thread.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah or to put it bluntly....

They weren't playing characters

This is a weird thing I noticed with Doug even way before the changethechannel stuff.

His editorials/true opinions etc made me realize his NC opinions weren't really tongue in cheek but honestly, just his own opinions told in an exaggerated voice.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I stopped watching his content a little before the change the channel stuff came to light, but I started to dislike him around when he released his Matrix review. I hate the format of him always having some kind of epiphany and having the rest of the cast in his skits act like idiots to make himself seem smarter. Like, every time there was someone that was playing the director or some character from the movie he was reviewing, they never challenged him with good arguments, there where only there to be his punching bags.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching his content a little before the change the channel stuff came to light, but I started to dislike him around when he released his Matrix review. I hate the format of him always having some kind of epiphany and having the rest of the cast in his skits act like idiots to make himself seem smarter. Like, every time there was someone that was playing the director or some character from the movie he was reviewing, they never challenged him with good arguments, there where only there to be his punching bags.

But that would mean he would HAVE to acknowledge some of his critiques are just nitpicky and personal rather than an O B J E C T I V E observation of a film he already dislikes.

Surely you aren't suggesting that his actual critiques are amateur at best. What are ya, a nerd?

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading that Rob responded to the criticism of the clipless reviews with "they get us the most views."

So you know "who cares what you think they make money."

You know, that exact attitude Doug frequently mocks in his reviews.

tumblr_mlgzuvRnTL1s46koto5_500.gif

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
The Down the Rabbit Hole on Doug will be amazing
Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. I remember his video on Spoony featuring an uninterrupted rant by Lordkat blaming the "Betrayal" incident for why his career never went anywhere, despite it not affecting Angry Joe in the slightest and he was standing right next to him.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
My favorite was when he sort of cancelled his "character," without telling anyone else he was. You know, the main draw to the site that helps other creators also get noticed. And he did that to bring Demo Reel to life. Which was, just, yeah...
Not just that, according to the Change The Channel document, he actually expected all of the other reviewers on the site to follow suit. He also sprung this change on the other reviewers without any sort of heads up.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. I remember his video on Spoony featuring an uninterrupted rant by Lordkat blaming the "Betrayal" incident for why his career never went anywhere, despite it not affecting Angry Joe in the slightest and he was standing right next to him.

He should do one on LordKat. He deserves one.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot other horror stories like how Lindsey Ellis friend Elisa passed out
Angry Joe has even done interviews and is one of the bigger independent gamer youtubers and honestly he has said worse to corporations than screaming betrayal

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The guy with the animated creatures has one hell of a rabbit hole youtube channel. At first i was creeped out but looking at his channel I can't hate the hustle.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm glad the dude isn't relevant any more. I fucking swear in a lot of nerd circles dude was basically the internet pope.

But then again at least in one meaningful way he kind of was like the pope

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His views are still high...

I think Brad exposed his true colors... so when Channel Awesome burns, I hope he does too

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't bother to look at the original video, but a friend linked it to me saying to check out the dislikes and comments.

Ratings are at 15k-14k. Comments are mostly negative. Pointing out how he completely missed the point of The Wall, took a song Waters wrote about the uncertainty of his father surviving the war and made it about the movie's runtime, and a lot of calling out of Doug's criticism that it's "full of itself" when he stands in front of his own posters.

This may have made his hatedom a lot bigger.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The truth about the Nostalgia Critic is that he makes content for Middle Schoolers and people who just started High School. Everyone here outgrew his stuff, no need to care anymore.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly

Doug should really just apologize to all the former CA producers.

But will he?

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So... I gave in. I watched it.

...so much worse than I could possibly have imagined.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

I got into NC back in the day. I like the IDEA behind NC but after a while, really started to hate his execution. James would really dig into a bad game but I thought he gave it a fair shake while Doug would just rip into it for the sake of comedy. Maybe, OCCASIONALLY saying something, "Jokes aside, this really holds up well". But most of the time is just "Hur Hur! This Movie is dumb."

I mean I watched his Mario anime movie review and there's a part where he says "I'm watching a fan dub because I NEED something to make fun of.... LOL this guy voicing Luigi sounds dumb!"

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what those furry things were near the end of the video, but they made this offensive trash fire of a review into something completely repulsive. I know this sounds petty, but I hope Doug's fans now realize how much of a self indulgent hack he is and completely shit on him. That and Mike Michad, that guy needs to be outed as well. I think this may be the worst video on the internet I have ever seen and believe me when say I've seen some shit.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what those furry things were near the end of the video, but they made this offensive trash fire of a review into something completely repulsive. I know this sounds petty, but I hope Doug's fans now realize how much of a self indulgent hack he is and completely shit on him. That and Mike Michad, that guy needs to be outed as well. I think this may be the worst video on the internet I have ever seen and believe me when say I've seen some shit.

I hope this kills the channel

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been getting a lot of negative reactions to this in my recommendations.

Feels like this review really blew up in the Critics face.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I don't follow Nostalgia critic anymore.

But who are the three sleepy knobs in the video? Do they just spend an hour bitching about other content creators?

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Spoony's Ultima reviews but the dude has been completely soured on me with his recent behaviour and his childish jokes and homophobic jokes in his old reviews.

Rebruary was my jam. I don't recall the homophobic jokes but it wouldn't surprise me. Those were extremely common in all forms of media up until the early 2010s. Not saying it was OK, just that I never caught a particularly "homophobic vibe" from him. But, again, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention at the time.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. I remember watching him regularly when he first came out. He always came off to me like an AVGN clone but with movies. I never loved his stuff so I dunno why I kept viewing. I guess there was much less to watch on the internet at the time and he'd at least cover things I -was- nostalgic for.

Any time I come across his stuff these days (new or old), I swear, he's awful. His gimmick is just speaking in a shrill voice like Screech from Saved By the Bell. It's the same type of thing you might do to try to get a giggle out of an infant that doesn't understand language yet.

I remember him quitting only to come back and then every video forced a bunch of horrible acting bits. And by horrible, I mean like, I couldn't get through 'em.

My overall opinion of this man's lack of talent has nothing to do with the ChangeTheChannel stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this kills the channel

This is a naive mindset.
Though it likely will kill goodwill with a lot of other content creators.
Rob Scallon removed the album from his BandCamp page, Sam Fennah (the guy that animated the creatures in the Trial segment) had a big meltdown on Twitter, and the album & video are getting blasted in multiple corners of the internet.
Even Vinesauce Vinny mocked the video on his Sunday stream.

Basically, it's a PR nightmare that the weasels might not slip out of this time. Kill the channel though? Very very doubtful.