• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So, AMC, Cinemark, Regal etc, and by extension, Disney, Universal, WB, etc are all basically screwed for the rest of the year. Could they go to releasing new movies via PPV or VOD or something? Especially considering the situation in China. And this doesn't even begin to think of all the people who work for the theatre chains or studios.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
You know, this thread made me realize I pay a monthly fee for unlimited cinema. The fuck am I gonna do if they close cinemas.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Most industries are a write off this year unless you make and/or sell toilet roll or hand sanitizer.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Need to adapt quicker. Novel viruses are nothing new, so this will happen sooner or later. And it will continue to keep happening since the world is more hyperconnected physically now and the nature of biology.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until Walmarts close their doors

giphy.gif

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Guess the Netflix model doesn't look so bad now, eh Hollywood?

*Cackles while lighting cigar with an old Netflix mailer

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I felt the movie industry was essentially already screwed longterm regardless.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just exhibitors. Productions are shutting down. Studios are forbidding travel. It's going to effect everything. We might not see the full effect of it until late this year/early next year though since there's plenty in the can already.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least Sonic came out soon enough to beat Detective Pikachu's domestic box office

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of entertainment/cultural industries are fucked. At least the movie business still has other aspects of the business to fall back on (VOD, Streaming, dvd and blu-ray sales). Obviously those make a lot less money, but it's still a good source of income. Meanwhile, the festivals, event organisers and (indie) music industry will be hurt a lot more by this, since most or all of their yearly income comes from events and performances that are being cancelled left and right.

Nov 13, 2017
Solution 1: Theaters remain open BUT only sell 50% - 20% of the capacity of every showing so people are too close to each other.

Solution 2: Someone takes the plunge and becomes the first to rent new releases day of for like $15.99 on Vudu or iTunes.

OP
OP
Chrome Hyena

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of entertainment/cultural industries are fucked. At least the movie business still has other aspects of the business to fall back on (VOD, Streaming, dvd and blu-ray sales). Obviously those make a lot less money, but it's still a good source of income. Meanwhile, the festivals, event organisers and (indie) music industry will be hurt a lot more by this, since most or all of their yearly income comes from events and performances that are being cancelled left and right.
Yeah. I can imagine gig musicians are super stressed, we've seen lots of concerts being cancelled as well. Lots of festivals.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's not just exhibitors. Productions are shutting down. Studios are forbidding travel. It's going to effect everything. We might not see the full effect of it until late this year/early next year though.

Yeah I wonder if this is going to be like all those writer strike-shortened seasons. Like how long can Disney + go on without new content? ;)

But travel and hospitality, tourism, theme parks, the rotting husks of malls, restaurants, those are all screwed.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
And the concert industry. And restaurants. The wide ranging effects are unreal.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So, AMC, Cinemark, Regal etc, and by extension, Disney, Universal, WB, etc are all basically screwed for the rest of the year. Could they go to releasing new movies via PPV or VOD or something? Especially considering the situation in China. And this doesn't even begin to think of all the people who work for the theatre chains or studios.

Service industry, travel, auto sales are down, hotels, resturants. This is going to hurt a ton of people, mostly small businesses

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Could they go to releasing new movies via PPV or VOD or something?
Certainly they could. There's existing infrastructure that they could use if they couldn't build their own on time (and most likely that would be a challenge). I'm not sure how many people who would have gone to the cinema would swap over to paying cinema-like prices for new releases on Google Play or whatever, but at least it would be a revenue stream.

Most industries are going to bleed money from this.
Yep. Some much worse than movie studios (since at least the studios have some kind of in-home revenue). Anything that relies on gathering people together is going to have big problems.

Video games might be one of the big exceptions. Lots of people having to entertain themselves without leaving their home will probably be good for sales (and the lockdowns in China were one of the driving factors behind Steam's recent record numbers of people online).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love watching movies in an empty theater, so at least there's that.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem with the studios going VOD at launch is there's no going back. Customers will love it and the studios will still make good money (they can probably get away with charging $30 for a movie with basically no overhead but the streaming service cut) but theaters will basically be done. You can't just take that away when the pandemic is over.

I think they'd rather just eat this years box office than go down that rabbit hole

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this was expected to be a down year for the box office anyway. It is still going to be a problem though for a few months at least.

Imagine if this happened last year with Endgame right around the corner.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
cinema is never really screwed.

just imagine the indie scene that'd going to come out of this.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
If Walmarts close, we're only a few steps away from The Division.
Day 22 since Walmart closing: Toilet paper seems to be in short-supply so I've had to resort to using sandpaper to wipe the derriere. I've had to invade a nearby neighbor's apartment for food. There appears to be no end in sight. My muscles are starting to ache, and I'm suffering periods of disorientation and overheating. The texture of flesh is starting to become more palatable. Tomorrow, I will have to venture out for more sandpaper. I fear it may be my last day.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Almost everyone at my job is working from home now. The fucking CTO took two weeks off, in fact (I know because I have to send a daily report to him regarding some of our mission critical things). I am hoping for the best, but our current government isn't exactly that great.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
The Dollop was coming live to Pittsburgh later this month and I wanted to go, goddamnit! No chance of that now. I fall right into the "Dead If You Get It," high-risk crowd.