• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
She is into you, but will lead to a possibly dangerous situation. If you can accept that and feel the potential is worth what will surely be a huge headache at minimum go for it.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Dating someone from work is super risky. A change in dynamic like that could be harmful to both your career and personal relationship. Also, don't pursue her until things clear up with her husband. If they stay together, drop the idea. Don't be messy.

It's easy to misplace the passion for someone who reignites your desire/emotional connection as true love. But you need to play it slow to avoid this turning into a huge clusterfuck. Pursuing someone in a monogamous relationship won't end well.

So a serious answer from me.

Yes, I have thought about this (and to be frank, working together isn't a huge deal for me if we got together), and the biggest issue is if, let say, I declare that I have feelings and she doesn't... she might be in a awkward position. I did date the prev. woman from work (another work place) which worked out fine... but yes, this might be different.

Ah, I am so confused.

Deleted member 8683

User requested account closure
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeees. I know about the husband and the moral fuck ups from me if I pursue... but she deserves better (which I have stated many many times), but I have also stated that she should try and focus on the relationship and make it work... if it doesn't tthen she gave it a try at least.
And in the meantime you just stay away romantically. Vent to eachother if you need to and can, that's great to have, but don't be the guy who wrecks them as a couple; they can do that just fine themselves and come out healthier in the process without your intervention.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP - I thought your first line said "prey" not "prev" so I apologize for the various conclusions I reached.

also the advice I have no longer makes sense.

AdbHrxA.gif

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
Removing the (already covered) moral issue from the equation my advice would be to wait for her to end things with the husband. Otherwise you could have a very awkward and ongoing issue where she's seeing both of you and really that is just going to cause you both (and specifically you) more problems down the line where everything gets messy.

However, looking at this without emotion this could cause you real issues in your career, or at the very least in the company you're in.

I do however expect none of the advice in the thread to be followed as we're all imperfect creatures who generally end up following our emotions anyway, so I'd like to wish you good luck and I hope it all turns out the best it can!

Jul 9, 2019
But also, does she seem intrested in me, if we ignore the husband part.

No, she's not. She probably thinks you are a good friend she can talk to. Saying that you can get whoever you want is not a hidden message and she's not secretly into you. She said that to help you build some self-confidence that you told her you lack.

OP
OP
fanboi

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Serious question:
Should I tell her about my feelings so I am open about it, but, of course, not pursue and just say "If you feel the same and want to go further, you need to deal with your husband".

Or is that also wrong?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
C'bon man, being coworkers is bad enough, but married? C'bonnnnnnn

Serious question:
Should I tell her about my feelings so I am open about it, but, of course, not pursue and just say "If you feel the same and want to go further, you need to deal with your husband".

Or is that also wrong?

Any scenario where you poke at her breaking up her marriage to be with you is not going to end well even if you get together for a bit after.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You're not going to take anyone's advice here because you're in a bad place and want every bit of validation anyone gives you, especially this particular person. You're going to make a move eventually, and things will be nice at first, but then it's all going fall apart. I will await the aftermath thread in the future with a bag of popcorn.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Don't fuck your coworkers ever. Especially married ones. Jfc. Everyone flirts and fantasizes but it's another thing to actually take that leap and wreck a home. It's not your place to determine if the marriage is in a good place or not. You've been told X by Y about the marriage but you still don't have the complete picture, so unless you want to marry this person (you would have known this right away instead of having to ask us) just leave it as it is.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
No.

You are an outlet for her to discuss her marriage problems and that is creating a case of transference. You are listening and she's opening up, which in turn is making you think she's interested in you and any feelings she may forming are based on misguided feelings.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No.

You are an outlet for her to discuss her marriage problems and that is creating a case of transference. You are listening and she's opening up, which in turn is making you think she's interested in you and any feelings she may forming are based on misguided feelings.

This is 100% accurate. Don't conflate her needing someone to talk to about a bad situation with feelings.

OP, it sounds like you already know what you're going to do. Don't do it. It's not worth it.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
She's probably not even interested, and even if she was, your moral code should tell you not to pursue a married person or someone you work with.

Talk to other women dude.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe but SHE IS MARRIED CHILL DUDE

edit: its also era so theres a 95% chance you misinterpreted any and all signs

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So a serious answer from me.

Yes, I have thought about this (and to be frank, working together isn't a huge deal for me if we got together), and the biggest issue is if, let say, I declare that I have feelings and she doesn't... she might be in a awkward position. I did date the prev. woman from work (another work place) which worked out fine... but yes, this might be different.

Ah, I am so confused.
Think of her. The most generous understanding of your situation is that she's very confused, torn between her husband and a possible new flame. Do you want to make this harder for her by trying to start something up or would it better for her to find her way in her marriage/leave it without distractions?

If this is the real deal with your feelings, then please keep her emotional (not to mention professional) wellbeing in mind.

To clarify, I'm rooting for you. I just think you should probably pump the breaks on escalating things until this woman is no longer married. :)

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
People acting like once you get married, you can never have second thoughts and have to be stuck in the relationship

I wouldn't tho she married lmao

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
OP did you purposely put the fact that she was married as the fourth bullet point hoping people would skim and overlook it?

But seriously don't pursue it. If she deserves better, she needs to end her relationship.

Nov 9, 2017
She is married, but also according to your description she is just being your friend and trying to prop you up because of your self-esteem issues IMO.

Aug 10, 2019
No.

This is 100% accurate. Don't conflate her needing someone to talk to about a bad situation with feelings.

OP, it sounds like you already know what you're going to do. Don't do it. It's not worth it.
Agreed! What she needs right now is a friend who's not trying to get into her pants, and what you need is someone who isn't emotionally attached with someone else.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of a quality Magic 8-Ball answer websites, in case the OP ignores all of the "No, don't do this" replies?

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Encourage her to break up with her husband if it really is that bad. Worked for me (though it was a BF and not a husband at the time). Try to not get involved while she's still married (or at least living with him).

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Regardless of how bad her relationship is going, it is a terrible idea (and honestly pretty fucking shitty) to try to pursue this.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't fuck your coworkers.
You know I used that as a hard and fast rule, and I've still never done it

But I came to the realization the other day that a bunch of my idiotic coworkers are married, and I wonder if their spouses know that they're total dumbasses at work? Like these people are prob walking around all day thinking their SO is great at their job, when the reality is opposite, and I feel bad for them
So maybe dating a coworker is a great way to weed out the dummies, since you know, you work with them and all

that being said, OP you gotta bail

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Number one rule of dating, if they are willing to cheat to be with you, they will be willing to cheat on you as well.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait did you break up with your gf of 14yr because you wanted your married coworker why is no one noting this

You're not going to take anyone's advice here because you're in a bad place and want every bit of validation anyone gives you, especially this particular person. You're going to make a move eventually, and things will be nice at first, but then it's all going fall apart. I will await the aftermath thread in the future with a bag of popcorn.

is it morally wrong to bait him

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. I was in a similar situation once. I've known my coworker for a year without talking much, but we suddenly clicked one night, and we pretty much went through the same thing as you. Talking all day, her telling me how I'm such a great guy and how she could imagine spending her whole life with me, etc. I also thought she was into me, but she wasn't. She just viewed me as a good friend, and said all those things to bolster my self-confidence. Thankfully our relationship survived after my embarassing "confession" as she is still one of my best friends to this day, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.