• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
20131223-154826.jpg
Back-to-the-Future-Movie-Header-Image.jpg

Like, what the FUCK? I can't believe I just realized how fucked up that is? He literally walked in on the man tearing Lorraine's clothes off, decked him, and now a few decades later is A-OK with letting the man around his home UNSUPERVISED?

I love the Back to the Future trilogy, but man...

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
20131223-154826.jpg
Back-to-the-Future-Movie-Header-Image.jpg

Like, what the FUCK? I can't believe I just realized how fucked up that is? He literally walked in on the man tearing Lorraine's clothes off, decked him, and now a few decades later is A-OK with letting the man around his home UNSUPERVISED?

I love the Back to the Future trilogy, but man...
It wasn't perceived as being that bad back then + he got decked + he became subservient + decades passed.

Edit: Not saying it was okay, just explaining why it didn't strike anyone as being as terrible (the keeping him around part) as we see it today.

Edit2: Well it bothered at least some people at the time as I can see from the posts below. :-)

Oct 27, 2017
How did his parents not realize that their son looks identical to their really good friend from high school that brought them together?

Oct 27, 2017
How did his parents not realize that their son looks identical to their really good friend from high school that brought them together?
Why do people keep saying this? It's such a dumb point. Why would they remember the face of some kid they met decades ago? And you say "really great friend" as if he isn't someone they knew for maybe a couple weeks at most

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dr Strange saw all the different scenarios and this is the only that allowed them to beat Thanos.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like none of the characters consider her in much of any danger so I don't see what the big deal is.

It's one of those movie observations that is kind of like "wtf lol" but I don't think it makes anything worse really. The modern home life is such a small part of the story.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Why do people keep saying this? It's such a dumb point. Why would they remember the face of some kid they met decades ago? And you say "really great friend" as if he isn't someone they knew for maybe a couple weeks at most
Surely something in their mind will click in the 80s when they see Calvin Klein underwear start showing up in stores, kind of a "where have I heard that name before" moment? They won't completely forget "Calvin", it's not like they were little kids, they were borderline adults at the time.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Omg Back to the Future is cancelled!

I jest.

But yeah this one always kind of made me scratch me head. Like you really want THAT guy around your family?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If we boycotted and punished every rapist in society where would we get our presidents and movie producers?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to out-logic movie plots. Don't overthink it. They wanted to have the same characters in the different times and variations. They needed Biff to stick around so A) you could see that the past had affected the future, making the bully a kiss-ass and B) have him available to still be the bad guy later on.

That's really the message that the movie sends: people are fated to be associated no matter how much things change.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm more confused why he's so okay with his "son" being an identical copy of the boy she took to the prom...

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They remembered him enough to name their kid after him.

Oct 25, 2017
George became so OP that he wanted the opportunity to flex on Biff every single weekend in front of his wife to continually assert dominance
He's cordial in public but when he and Biff are alone shit gets really fucked up

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The far creepier thing about BTTF is if you subscribe to the idea that a Person's "soul" so to speak is made up of their individual life experiences and memories than Marty's family are completely different people than the the ones he grew up with. He's a stranger in that house.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was 30 years ago and they only knew Marty for a couple days. I could see them forgetting his face.

Also they still watched Marty grow up from a boy to a teenager. Faces change so gradually that they were used to how their son looked as he grew up, and never retroactively connected him with Calvin Klein.

People's exact facial recognition in their memory isn't that great anyway.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The biggest plot hole is the torn letter that Marty gives to doc.

We're lead to believe that Doc collects the letter that he tore up and threw away and then patched it back together, which is feasible. Unfortunately Marty goes back to that very same moment again and the doc passes out removing his possibility of collecting the letter meaning he would have been killed by gangstas and the space time continum would have massively fucked up.