• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I had forgotten about this until just now, so I dipped in to check out the trailer. Loving the character portraits, and animal models. I was hoping the character animations would have more personality, and not seem so stiff and robotic, but that's not really the end of the world. This looks like a really promising game overall and I'll certainly keep my eyes on it.

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
Having played Harvest Moon up until the PS2 era and poured in 100s of hours into Stardew Valley this game interests me. Seems the attention to detail is high which is really nice.

I'll look out for the Kickstart. This is the type of game I'd really like on the switch in handheld mode.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great! Heads up, in the OP, it says 2020, when it's 2021. I almost didn't watch it because I thought it was an old and outdated trailer. :)

Fixed this thank you!

I also hope that didn't come off offensively btw. The game looks great and I'm very eager to get my hands on it personally, especially digging around for the secrets. Sounds like I'm gonna need to have another viewing or two of that trailer as well!

Oh definitely, I did not take any offense. It's actually refreshing to hear opinions from outside the development bubble!

I was hoping the character animations would have more personality, and not seem so stiff and robotic, but that's not really the end of the world.

Yeap, this is something I really hope we have more time to polish!

Having played Harvest Moon up until the PS2 era and poured in 100s of hours into Stardew Valley this game interests me. Seems the attention to detail is high which is really nice.

I'll look out for the Kickstart. This is the type of game I'd really like on the switch in handheld mode.

Thank you so much, and yeah... I'd love to play our game on the Switch

Great trailer, art direction is lovely and looks deep mechanically. Hope it does well.

Thanks for the comment... and that goes for both of us, hoping it does well lol

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
This isn't always true. I think it depends on skin type and skin tone. I have stretch marks on my stomach almost exactly like Suki's and they've never really faded and they've been there at least 15 or so years. I'm actually really happy to see a character who has prominent stretch marks in that area and is flaunting them. I've never been comfortable enough to wear a bikini or anything that shows my midriff because of mine, haha.
Just to be clear: I did not want to recommend removing the stretch marks, just recolouring them. But since you pointed out, that stretch marks can remain red, the point is likely wrong. Regarding your self cosciousness: While I can understand this in principle, your stretch marks just show that you gave life, which is a great act of love. People are proud of their war marks and flaunt them, even though their causes are way less nobel than the causes of stretch marks.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
This looks great, holy crap. I agree the character animations in the op trailer are a bit stiff but everything else was so great I don't mind. The art style, the world, the customization, the npc portraits and the gameplay all look top notch. Consider me very, very interested!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This looks great OP. The character portraits in particular I love.

From the trailer outside of the main comment that you'll see a lot of stardew valley comparisons (even the cave/exploration current floor layout looks like it), I hope we can eventually change outfits if not already in play.

Do you have a listing anywhere to preorder/wishlist?

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I don't know whether this is intentional or not, but the line "if there's one thing that I love in this world, aside from peaceful evenings, it's making weapons" made me laugh

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Looks fantastic OP. Really well done to you and the team. Live the artstyle, logo, and music.
Is there a large range of animals to raise?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good and those cows are 10/10. Very much like Harvest Moon cows or the cows in Moo Moo Farm in Mario Kart. I love cute round cows.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know too much about farm sims... but the music and art direction looks GREAT! Just little details like the shadows brings everything together. Great job, and congrats to you and your family/team!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic, both the game and the character design. Will keep an eye out for the kickstarter for sure.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Love the character designs. Who's the artist? I do wish the character models were a bit closer to the designs though but going by the updates that looks to be improving as well. The animation for the animals look great too!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Just to be clear: I did not want to recommend removing the stretch marks, just recolouring them. But since you pointed out, that stretch marks can remain red, the point is likely wrong. Regarding your self cosciousness: While I can understand this in principle, your stretch marks just show that you gave life, which is a great act of love. People are proud of their war marks and flaunt them, even though their causes are way less nobel than the causes of stretch marks.
Look, I don't know how dreams got her stretch marks but they really aren't a "giving birth" only kind of thing at all. Lots of women have them for loads of reasons. Often puberty. I got some small ones on my sides when my hips came quickly in like a month due to puberty when I was like thirteen. They aren't war wounds, just a natural part of my body that absolutely loads of people have.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I don't know how dreams got her stretch marks but they really aren't a "giving birth" only kind of thing at all. Lots of women have them for loads of reasons. Often puberty. I got some small ones on my sides when my hips came quickly in like a month due to puberty when I was like thirteen. They aren't war wounds, just a natural part of my body that absolutely loads of people have.
I didn't get mine from giving birth, which is why they've always made me self conscious (because that's what people assume, haha). They just happend while I was growing up. And also I hope my original comment didn't come across as snarky or anything! I just wanted to point out that bodies can be totally different in many ways, and just because someone's experiences are one way, doesn't mean everyone's are. But it can totally seem that way if for example everyone you've been around have had stretchmarks that do totally fade away over time (and I have others on my arms and legs that have also faded over time and aren't still prominent like the ones on my stomach... they're just weird that way haha)! Also, I do appreciate where you were coming from with the "war wounds" comment, but also like rras1994 said, they're just a natural part of growth for some people 🙂

Anyways, I really didn't mean to derail the thread about this awesome game! Like I said in my other post, I just was really happy to see a character have them, so I wanted to point out that they can actually stay that way over time, haha.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The game is looking incredible! What are the plans for other platforms besides PC? Just curious, because I'm interested either way. Congrats on the great work!

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Was Disney an inspiration for the character designs? They look really great. Overall really impressed by a lot of the little animations and attention to detail.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
wow this has come a long way. Looked really mobile-esque when you started but now it looks like a legit PC game

I hope it has mod support. I love Stardew Valley cuz theres literally a massive mod that adds a ton of characters. But to me I love these games for the challenge of growing crops and managing finances too

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Folks, thanks for your kind words! I was knackered yesterday lol

Win/Steam will be the main platform for the pre-alpha access we release shortly after Kickstarter... As for the EA release or even 1.0, if it were up to me, Coral Island would get ported to all platforms haha. Unfortunately, we're kinda maxed out bandwidth-wise at the studio, also because we are not working with a publisher, I haven't had the time to look into acquiring dev kits and or platform holder licenses yet. To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start!

Thank you for pointing this out! I will be sure to mention this to our character artist. My memory is a little hazy, but I do remember having a discussion about this with him, and it made sense at the time haha, but never hurts to make sure.

Why yes, yes you can!

Right now we don't have plans to port to Playstation, but if the opportunity ever came up, heck yeah, it would be amazing to port the game over to consoles... for some reason, the idea of releasing the game on consoles gives me mad butterflies in the stomach lol

Appreciate the future KS support!

With regards to Mac/OSX build. Initially, the plan was 100% to do it... it still is actually, but the timeline has shifted, largely in part due to Apple migrating to their in-house processors.

Right now we don't have plans for it, but in the future, would love to have this on consoles and or Switch.

Thanks for pointing the combat out... also not yet happy about it. To be honest, there's a lot of room for improvement for sure, and I'm ashamed to admit, but we were running out of time for the trailer and ended up going with the footage you see in the trailer. We even had to remove 2 sword swing animations as they were bugged, which is why the player only swings one way in the combat lol.

The pre-alpha access will release in either May or June, and the Early Access will release in October =)

Yea I totally get what you mean, thanks for sharing that.

As for secrets, yes, there will be quite a bit to unpack and discover... because I too love them in games. We have a solid idea of what to implement for the general game secrets, and still in the planning stage for post game secrets.

I actually placed several hidden easter eggs in the trailer, but dang, doesn't look like anyone's figured them out yet.

I think your game would do really well if Sony were to add it to their PS+ of the month free game. Not sure how to even approach that but it would be cool.

I know there are some developers that work with multi consoles on the indy level like Double Fine who make the Rebel Galaxy series. Might be worth trying to have a conversation with their big boy in charge.

Never saw your answer about the Jewish character though you quoted me. Assuming you meant to put something there. Could you repeat what you were going to say about that?

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding OSX support: you could still make an x86 build and it will run on Apples M1 Chip via Rosetta compatibility layer. Performance hit isn't severe here. Also porting to ARM/M1 seems to be rather easy according to a friend but he is doing non-game software development.

for Xbox: every Xbox one/series console can be a devkit for a one time fee of $19. You simply download an app onto the Xbox and get going.
id@xbox games also have no fees for releases and updates.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Win/Steam will be the main platform for the pre-alpha access we release shortly after Kickstarter... As for the EA release or even 1.0, if it were up to me, Coral Island would get ported to all platforms haha. Unfortunately, we're kinda maxed out bandwidth-wise at the studio, also because we are not working with a publisher, I haven't had the time to look into acquiring dev kits and or platform holder licenses yet. To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start!

You can sign up for ID@Xbox for free at xbox.com/ID anytime and we'll send you a couple of free devkits to play with. Feel free to DM me tho - I'm always happy to answer questions! :) This is looking great!

Oct 25, 2017
Just came across this thread and wow! The art style is gorgeoussssss and that purple haired character up above has STRETCH MARKS? Holy shit, I love it. Wishlisted with the quickness.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about your characters being sexualized? Saw someone call the blacksmith daddy on the Youtube comments >_>

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm impressed. I've been looking for a farm sim game for some time, but Stardew Valley's graphics really put me off. And I just couldn't get into My Time at Portia. So I'm definitely looming forward to this. Any chance the game will be easily modded?

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good and those cows are 10/10. Very much like Harvest Moon cows or the cows in Moo Moo Farm in Mario Kart. I love cute round cows.

The cows have definitely been a big hit. I don't think I got the chance to share this on Era as I was soooo deep into trailer making.

491ae5_f8a737e83511484298edd501e4aa0abc~mv2.webp
491ae5_d78b0cd491024f738ed6ce6ffc34e040~mv2.webp

491ae5_09ead891f4254130bbfbf498dfcfb700~mv2.webp
491ae5_9aa1ce2ffe894e2d9109fd0cf36c2451~mv2.webp

When you buy a cow, or the calf grows up, it will randomly come with 1 of 4 horn types! That's it, that's all I wanted to share lol. Well, one more thing:

491ae5_c29c51d062424792ac07c2e4b718a54a~mv2.gif

Please disregard the interior space asset quality as it's just for testing. But all our animals will have portraits for good and bad mood like the above gif.

Is there a large range of animals to raise?

I think there is a good variety, yes! So far we've planned 4 coop animals and 6 barn animals.

Do you have a listing anywhere to preorder/wishlist?

We sure do! Here is a steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158160/Coral_Island/

Love the character designs. Who's the artist? I do wish the character models were a bit closer to the designs...

David Lojaya is the character designer, and this is his Twitter. With regards to character models, I 100% agree. We're actually planning on doing an overhaul when time permits!

The game is looking incredible! What are the plans for other platforms besides PC?

I would love to release the game on as many platforms as possible! But the plan for the immediate future is getting to Early Acces on the PC. Community involvement has been key from day 1 for us.

Was Disney an inspiration for the character designs?

Yes definitely. I always wondered why there aren't more games in this aesthetic haha.

Could you repeat what you were going to say about that?

Oops yeah, sorry about that. I had the hardest time sleeping the other night and was operating on fumes yesterday. Much better today!

With regards to Jewish characters, or portraying other religions/beliefs, they won't be mentioned outright to players. If a character does have a certain belief, we hope players pick this up through their mannerisms and or things they mention in dialogue. In this sense, I hope the connection is stronger if players do pick up on these little things, and if players don't, it will just come across as good old dialogue haha.

Regarding OSX support: you could still make an x86 build and it will run on Apples M1 Chip via Rosetta compatibility layer. Performance hit isn't severe here. Also porting to ARM/M1 seems to be rather easy according to a friend but he is doing non-game software development.

Wow yeah, I had no idea. We'll definitely move up checking the OSX port.

You can sign up for ID@Xbox for free at xbox.com/ID anytime and we'll send you a couple of free devkits to play with. Feel free to DM me tho - I'm always happy to answer questions! :) This is looking great!

Wow, thanks so much for mentioning this and dropping by, I had no idea. I've always assumed getting on Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo was very hard. I can't speak for the other two, but signing-up seems relatively straightforward on Xbox. And yes, will definitely DM you if I have questions or run into any issues. Thanks again!

Any chance the game will be easily modded?

I'm also a huge fan of mods myself for all games really. Getting mod support working in Unreal Engine 4 is a little more involved than I'd like it to be. To answer your question, I would love Coral Island to have mods, although I'm not sure how long it will take for us to implement support for it, and just real talk, how much money it will cost to enable it. We've penciled in time to look at this after we reach the Early Access milestone.

As long as it's within our means, we'll pursue game mods for sure.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool, love all these farming games. It appears that the game takes place on a somewhat tropical island, will it have distinct seasons?

ps: please add capybara

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Looks really nice so far, especially liked all the pets style and animations, as well as the animation when you knock down the tree. Some other character animations, especially underwater could need some work, but seing this just hitting Kickstarter, there still seems to be plenty of time. Aside from that it looks like there is a lot of stuff to do, which is great, but maybe too much and that might lead to some stuff being just very basic? That's at least a bit of my fear at this point, with a possibly small team?

I'll be sure to wishlist the game at keep an eye on it though. Overall it looks very promising!

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow, I was already following this game on Steam, didn't know it was made by a fellow Era-member!

I'm always on the lookout for something that scratches the Stardew Valley itch, I am in!

Nov 21, 2019
I went from not knowing this game exists at all to being completely hyped in the span of 10 minutes of browsing this thread. Will try to get it on Steam, but wishing for a Playstation port too down the line.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks... at long last, I emerge with an update. We've released the announcement trailer. What a journey to get to this point!

Appreciate the feedback this community has provided. Particularly with how the characters look. It's crazy how different the character proportions are from when I first posted this thread. Anyway, eager for thoughts and feedback! Always looking for ways to improve.

That's a fantastic trailer, nice to see this progressing so well. It has a very happy, very positive vibe which feels necessary right now and the visual style and character designs are gorgeous.

Well done dude. Look forward to the Kickstarter!

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing art here, I love it. The trailer really made the game shine. Keeping an eye on this :)

Nov 18, 2018
This looks cute as heck, the character designs are great and I love the animals. I never got into Stardew Valley because I don't really like pixel art but this looks like it would definitely scratch the SV itch.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC but if this comes to Switch or PlayStation I'd definitely pick it up. I understand that it's a ton of work to port it to other platforms though.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It looks really great ! Impressive stuff here.

My only "problem" is with two textures floor : the grass (especially the one at the farm) and the cave, which looks like "watercolor" while the rest of the artstyle isn't.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Totally understandable, thanks for the response! Might finally be the thing that prompts me to get Bootcamp re-setup on the MacBook to be honest. Cow portraits look wonderful as well, as do all the updates. It's evident you have a very talented and passionate team; something that shines through from the work. Can't wait to see more and for the Kickstarter to launch!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Game looks generally solid, so I'm going to try to offer some constructive criticism.

Generally, with a game trailer you should try to shoot for 60-90 seconds. You want to show off the game and you want the trailer to tell a story. Unless they're already interested in the game, people tend to bounce off trailers really fast if you don't immediately interest them. Now I understand that farming sim games are more laidback than most games, but even still, the first 40 seconds of the current trailer doesn't do a whole lot to sell people on the game with its slow panning of areas and basic farm activity. After that, the trailer gets a lot better - underwater stuff! mermaids! here's some fun characters! combat & dungeons! fishing! lots of customization - although even there, some parts drag on (like the underwater segment where the character is just slowly moving to the left). Even with just the content that's been shown, the trailer could be a lot tighter which would help you reach out to people who aren't already wanting you to succeed.

Also, the way people hold their arms (both standing & walking) looks really awkward & unnatural to me. That's something that would really bother me while playing the game.

Best of luck. The market for good farm sims is strong and this looks like it has a lot of potential.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from that it looks like there is a lot of stuff to do, which is great, but maybe too much and that might lead to some stuff being just very basic? That's at least a bit of my fear at this point, with a possibly small team?

Yeah, I get you, we share similar fears actually, both whether stuff is too mechanically deep or basic lol. It's actually the main reason we want to release the game into Early Access!

That's a fantastic trailer, nice to see this progressing so well.

Yea I'm surprised myself, to be honest. Aside from 3 of us with previous studio experience, this will be everyone else's first game in the studio. I still don't know what the heck I'm doing lol

Awesome feedback

Awesome feedback

Best of luck. The market for good farm sims is strong and this looks like it has a lot of potential.

Thank you so much for the feedback, and I agree with everything you said.

I was actually the one that ended up recording and putting the trailer together, so all these gaffes are mine to own. Looking back I can't help but laugh a little and find it amusing because I was using Derek Lieu's guide right, and word for word, both you and him have similar principles. As I was making the trailer, I was thinking to myself, okay, 90 seconds of footage, plus 10-15 seconds give or take for the intro and the CTA. I even put together a rough cut of the footage, sometimes with stills, sometimes in video form, and everything fit. Well, after all the final footage came in, we all know how that turned out LOL. I just couldnn't seem to edit it down properly which I find so aggravating! The short-long of it I guess is that I just didn't have enough skills or experience to execute the ideal trailer. I've come to really appreciate all that goes into trailer making, and if we ever have enough resources for it, would love to outsource the trailer making to someone who has made it their craft.

With regard to the standing and walking animations, we've been hearing that prop up as well, and will try to improve it!

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the trailer for Kickstarter and I'm really impressed with the progress made! Definitely a fan, keep up the amazing work :)

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This looks great. The art's really charming. I think my only criticism is that that slash animation when attacking the spider looks bad.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
As a big fan of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory this looks amazing OP, from the farm layout to villager diversity. I'll definitely be interested in picking this up when it drops. Only thing that kind of bothered me was how some animation actions like chopping the tree didn't have much heft to it but that's just a small complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.