• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
No, it doesn't I'm afraid. It's only for patches that expand the ROM a tiny bit, but still within Canoe's capabilities. Actually it was Super Baldy Kart that bought this to attention.

DarkAkuma

Jan 23, 2018
SFROM Tool 1.1.0.4 is now up for download.

Changes include:
A fix for Jucksalbe's little SuperFX discovery
A fix for a problem with .ips files that expanded the ROM
A new light in the bottom right corner that goes green when the tool picks up that it is using a .cnp patch file.

The last one came in v1.1.0.3.

I've made serveral of little changes and fixes I didn't feel were worth mentioning. Though I guess that one should be mentioned.

Does this mean good things for Dragon Quest III?

I didn't even know DQ3 had an issue. I'm guessing from the context that its translation is like Chrono Trigger hacks, and expands the ROM beyond 4MB?

Oct 28, 2017
Since I'm about to give the SFROM tool a new run for all my roms on the Mini, is it in any way 'safer' now to apply translation patches? Patches for headered roms will still give me a headache probably.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Great work! As always...

Robin64... I saw you mention Uniracers on twitter. What's the story?

Couple of things sluffy has said:

sluffy said:
Thanks - video "matches" raw debugger sprite info, minus problem itself. Have patient about 75% diagnosed and designed a temporary cure (untested). More trying to concoct reason Canoe behaves this way but not other emus.

sluffy said:
Solved 98% of the 'why'. An article by byuu solves the last 2%, which isn't what I thought and would break on other games/demos/tests who do this. Because Uniracers only uses 4 sprites in exactly required 'OAM grid', trick works. Last sprite accessed is always same address. Devs used luck or twiddled this one through at sacrifice of more sprite graphics.

Although now patch difficulty has gone up due to unexpected path to solution. Think it's possible though; have to inspect for timing landmines. ^^

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Pb37OB3.png

Added to the Patch Pack.

Note that it isn't 100%, the rival will still briefly appear on the opposite side of the screen that he left from (so on the first level, getting ahead of him makes him appear on the right side of the screen for a moment) but a couple of frames later they vanish where before they would begin to get drawn in the center. If he fixes that too, I'll update the patch, but it's not a massive issue.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Considering at one time Unirally/racer was in the No Hopers bin, this is great news.

tumblr_p39x6yj8PK1x42ntdo1_500.gif

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Would loooove to see a Front Mission: Gun Hazard cartsave fix. A patch for Micro Machines 2 to get rid of the persistent sound? A patch for the bass popping in Space Megaforce? A fix for the Lemmings cursor glitch maybe?

So many possibilities.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the SNES Mini showed the 2nd lowest while his beefcake of a PC was barely better. Hmmm.

PC adds 0.2-0.3 frames of lag (over a real SNES on a CRT). That's pretty darn good. I wonder if the Higan core can get it down to actually 0 or if it adds a little more.

Definitely an epic post, though. I'd read that person's webpage if they had one.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Note that it isn't 100%, the rival will still briefly appear on the opposite side of the screen that he left from (so on the first level, getting ahead of him makes him appear on the right side of the screen for a moment) but a couple of frames later they vanish where before they would begin to get drawn in the center. If he fixes that too, I'll update the patch, but it's not a massive issue.
It seems to be a bit more than that. As long as your rival is behind you and not normally on screen, you can see him in the far upper right edge of the screen. It seems he's just moved up there and you just see him appear when he does tricks. At least that's how it was for me (tested the first two tracks).

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How is Sluffy fixing all these games if he doesn't have a SNESC?

I would really love if he could find a fix for the soul Blazer issue.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It seems to be a bit more than that. As long as your rival is behind you and not normally on screen, you can see him in the far upper right edge of the screen. It seems he's just moved up there and you just see him appear when he does tricks. At least that's how it was for me (tested the first two tracks).

Yeah, I noticed that too! It's still much better, but I have posted this new thing for him to see too. If he can fix that as well, I'll update, but in the meantime it's still awesome.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed that too! It's still much better, but I have posted this new thing for him to see too. If he can fix that as well, I'll update, but in the meantime it's still awesome.
It's certainly a lot better. Mainly mentioned it, since looking at why he appears there could make it easier to find a complete fix for this.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed Beavis and Butthead with no issues, so we can say that game is A-OK now

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
hmmm I have work to do on my Pi

Easier said than done. I think most people have threaded off, but the other two definitely have issues and aren't recommended here:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Input-Lag

I just tried Dispanx because the warning didn't seem that bad. I stopped using a shader on the pie because I use the RetroTV Overlay that has built in scanlines in the PNG. Even overlays don't work with Dispanx (unless there was some kind of glitch). No shaders is one thing, but not even overlays is a real sacrifice to the whole image quality.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here you go Robin. One clean screenshot and one indicating the bug.

battletoads27sq9.png

battletoadsbugajscv.png

What's especially jarring is how both the head and tails (and the Toads) have their proper shadows, but the bodies don't. I guess it's because the head and tails are sprites, but the bodies themselves aren't.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Just trying out some of your patches Robin64... Should they all show up in SFROM Tool as 'Canoe Fix' in the patches list? Or are some just IDs etc? I tried Sink or Swim. Got no patch or ID indication.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember it was recently mentioned here that a save state takes about 320KB (I think). How come my save states are about 2MB each? Can they be compressed somehow?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Super Family Tennis (JP) seems to have a similar problem to Super Formation Soccer '94 where the menus (and company intro) are a bit messed up. No sound issues for this one, though, and the rest of the game seems fine.

62zpW85.png
The PAL version of this game (SMASH TENNIS) is also affected. It seems the background is hi-res?

I'm yet to try any alternative Preset IDs with it

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

I did it!

I finally got the damn English patch to work.

Card Fighters Clash 2 Expand Edition is the sequel to the greatest card-collecting RPG of all time. It consolidates both of the previous versions (SNK & Capcom) and adds 124 new cards including the 40 new Reaction cards that add a whole new mechanic to the gameplay.

Runs perfectly on SNES Classic. Y'all need this game!

EDIT: IMPORTANT QUESTION!

Is there no retroarch core for Wonderswan??

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Keep in mind we with SFROM Tool right now, we here are pushing it to its limits and finding the stuff that won't need to be documented because it will just work. For example, the 0C SuperFX thing above was just a bug, and has already been fixed in the next version as of 30 seconds ago. There will still need to be a some, yeah, but a lot of what we're finding will be invisible come hakchi launch.

Add -no-lowlatency in the command line for the game in hakchi, making sure to leave a space after whatever is the current last thing in that line.

As far as the -no-lowlatency command line goes, is that something that we can use globally for the few games that absolutely need it, and for games that don't, it won't affect them?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Mednafen-WSWAN the core should be part of KMFD Manic´s Core set .
Yes, I use this to play Tetris as the WonderSwan version is my favourite.

Hint: Press SELECT to change screen orientation/rotation.

Thanks for confirming! I've never played any Wonderswan games, there's gotta be at least a few good ones. The color graphics are surprisingly good.
Don't skip the monochrome games, there are some bona-fide classics to discover.

As far as the -no-lowlatency command line goes, is that something that we can use globally for the few games that absolutely need it, and for games that don't, it won't affect them?
Not advisable.

-no-lowlatency Render in a separate thread, to accommodate "slow" titles.
IE. Prefer game speed over input responsiveness

-lowlatency Render on the main thread to reduce input latency.
IE. Prefer input responsiveness over game speed

https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/Command-line-arguments-(SNES-Mini)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Updated the patch file with a more refined Uniracers fix. You won't see the rival performing tricks in the upper right corner now.

Just trying out some of your patches Robin64... Should they all show up in SFROM Tool as 'Canoe Fix' in the patches list? Or are some just IDs etc? I tried Sink or Swim. Got no patch or ID indication.

Not all of them have a Canoe Fix, no. A Canoe Fix will alter the actual ROM, but something like Secret of Evermore only needs the Preset ID setting.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The compression mod is great. Saved me almost 80MB and seems to work perfectly.

Updated the patch file with a more refined Uniracers fix. You won't see the rival performing tricks in the upper right corner now.
Just tried it. Works great. I noticed another very small bug on the second track. At that last bit when you're jumping you can shortly see your own unicycle flickers below you. Tried to capture it via rewind here:

Qdj3ZYN.png

(I'm actually in the air off-screen at this moment)

Lavio00

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Hi,

I really hope this is not a unwelcomed question but here goes:

I havent followed the scene since the initial Hackchi2 release where we could import custom SNES games (at that time we had to use retroarch for some games). What has happened in the scene since then? Is there a summary somewhere so I can "catch up"? Going through 63 pages is just way too much.

Oct 28, 2017
Hi,

I really hope this is not a unwelcomed question but here goes:

I havent followed the scene since the initial Hackchi2 release where we could import custom SNES games (at that time we had to use retroarch for some games). What has happened in the scene since then? Is there a summary somewhere so I can "catch up"? Going through 63 pages is just way too much.
For the beginning; I would suggest to read the OP and the following post again. Both are constantly updated and contain the latest information on which tools to use and how. That should give you a first impression on what changed.

And, yeah, it changed a lot! A bunch of people ist working hard to make as many games as possible run in the native SNES Mini environment. Welcome back and enjoy!

Edit: Also very helpful: the community spreadsheet.

Lavio00

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
For the beginning; I would suggest to read the OP and the following post again. Both are constantly updated and contain the latest information on which tools to use and how. That should give you a first impression on what changed.

And, yeah, it changed a lot! A bunch of people ist working hard to make as many games as possible run in the native SNES Mini environment. Welcome back and enjoy!

Ive made sure to check the OP and while I do find it very helpful from a technical perspective (which new tools to use etc), I would want an "overall" picture on which systems are now available, have there been breakthroughs that make graphical changes to the UI possible, or other huge additions. Etc.

Oct 28, 2017
Ive made sure to check the OP and while I do find it very helpful from a technical perspective (which new tools to use etc), I would want an "overall" picture on which systems are now available, have there been breakthroughs that make graphical changes to the UI possible, or other huge additions. Etc.
What is possible beyond the native emulator (canoe) is pretty much determined by the work of KMFDManic. He assembled a lot of different systems in his core set and is constantly testing and tweeting.

Graphical changes to the UI are possible afaik, but I don't know exactly where to look for that info. Sorry.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Not all of them have a Canoe Fix, no. A Canoe Fix will alter the actual ROM, but something like Secret of Evermore only needs the Preset ID setting.
I tried a couple of version of Sink or Swim, but neither showed up an ID in SFROM. When I tried adding the preset ID to the SFROM myself, I still got the water rising glitch. The game is unplayable. I am not bothered too much about this game, but wondering if people have play tested it extensively?